Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I have plenty of reason to believe even if Sakic begged him to turn pro, Alex himself is going back to BC next year.

Also despite his height, Newhook is a bit of a brick **** house. He doesn’t need to get much stronger. I’d guess he spent most of his offseason weighing over 200 pounds and there’s minimal fat on him. That’s a big boy when you’re like 5’9 - 5’10 (I don’t believe those 5’11 listings) and only 18. I hope he gets on the AOB training program more than anything. He’s one of if not the most agile players from his entire draft. He doesn’t need to sacrifice any of that for mass.
Thanks for the info. Newhook was reporteded at 5'10.5" and 192lbs at the combine.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Thanks for the info. Newhook was reporteded at 5'10.5" and 192lbs at the combine.
so-small.png

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
In a keeper's pool, where only goal and assists count, if you could only keep 4 of thoses, who would you keep:
Kaprizov
Zegras
Denisenko
Kravtsov
Tippett
Mikheyev
Byram (need 3 centers, 4 wings and 3 Dmen each period)

Thank you!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Do we know if Annunen is under contract next year in Finland? I'm sure the Avs would love to bring him over to the AHL. Would be a real good test for him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah, he is, but FEL contracts have NHL outs.

Good to know. Even with out clauses though, it seems like some of these goalies like playing out their contracts before coming over. Just to get that extra seasoning in the league they're comfortable with.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Good to know. Even with out clauses though, it seems like some of these goalies like playing out their contracts before coming over. Just to get that extra seasoning in the league they're comfortable with.
He actually has another year too. He signed a two-year contract last September.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If it were up to the Avs, I think they'd want to bring Annunen over next year to see how he fares in NA before Grubauer's deal expires.

Not that they'd be planning on replacing Grubby with Annunen right away, but it would help them to know what kind of NHL tandem to plan on for 2021-22. Do they need a proven #1 or if they resign Francouz this summer, and he outplays Grubauer next year, do they consider a Francouz-Annunen tandem?

Even if he has another great year in Finland next year, he'd still be a bit of a gamble as an NHL backup if he hadn't been tested in NA yet.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think you bring over Justus until you make room for him. Playing backup in the AHL to Werner doesn't really make a ton of sense.

It comes down to what they want to do with Frankie. If they feel Werner can be a capable backup to Groob, then they'll probably just move on and Frank signs elsewhere. That then allows them to move Werner up and Annunen in to tandem with Miska or an AHL vet of some kind.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'd be surprised if Werner is in the NHL next season. We will probably roll with Frank/Grubs for another season, then one will be selected in the expansion draft or will be moved prior... then if Werner is good enough he will get a NHL backup chance while Annunen takes over as starter in Loveland. Even if Werner doesn't take over the NHL role, Annunen likely gets his chance to start in Loveland.

Reactions: Barklez and McMetal

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'd be surprised if Werner is in the NHL next season. We will probably roll with Frank/Grubs for another season, then one will be selected in the expansion draft or will be moved prior... then if Werner is good enough he will get a NHL backup chance while Annunen takes over as starter in Loveland. Even if Werner doesn't take over the NHL role, Annunen likely gets his chance to start in Loveland.

Agreed. I'm guessing everything pretty much stays the same for one more year, then they bring Justus over.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't know if Francouz will come back next season. He'd have the opportunity to be a starter for a few rebuilding teams like Ottawa, New Jersey, or Detroit.

I guess it will depend if he's loyal to a club who brought him over and if he cares about having the opportunity to win a cup.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Money will certainly play a big role as well.

Offer him a 2 year deal worth 5M and he probably stays. He hasn't had a huge payday yet so getting a guaranteed 5M would set him and his kids up for life.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Mutala was a pick I really liked last draft. Because of the off-ice problems he was battling during his draft year he was a very good gamble as a rebound player. It seems like the Avs were right on him. He is having a very good season on a horrible Tri-City team. He currently has 51 pts in 44 games. Because of his birth date he will have to go back to the WHL next season. Hopefully his team will be much better next year so he can develop in a more winning environment. It will also be nice to see in the next 2-3 years if he is just currently benefiting from getting great minutes on a bad team or he could be even better if he was on a better team. He is somebody I will follow closely in the next few seasons.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I would think Werner is ahead of Annunen in the pool right now.

I don't think Werner has shown he's more than an AHL goaltender yet. He had the one shutout with the Avs but then he gave up 5 his next game and looked pretty bad. He's been decent it seems in the AHL, and correct me if I'm wrong, but he hasn't been amazing or anything.

With Annunen's WJC and FEL seasons, he's shown he has more promise at this point than Werner. Werner never had a WJC or a pro season like Justus is having. I think the preferred approach for the Avs would be to let them split the starts in the AHL next year, and see who separates themselves.

I think they'd prefer to test him in the AHL before they make a decision on Grubauer and their 2021 tandem. It'd also let Parkkila and JIF work with him full time which would be a benefit because he still has issues with shots up high, and going down too early.

I'm not sure Annunen would want to leave Finland yet though. I think he'll probably want to stay another year but who knows. Maybe they make him an offer and he feels he's ready.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I don't think Werner has shown he's more than an AHL goaltender yet. He had the one shutout with the Avs but then he gave up 5 his next game and looked pretty bad. He's been decent it seems in the AHL, and correct me if I'm wrong, but he hasn't been amazing or anything.

With Annunen's WJC and FEL seasons, he's shown he has more promise at this point than Werner. Werner never had a WJC or a pro season like Justus is having. I think the preferred approach for the Avs would be to let them split the starts in the AHL next year, and see who separates themselves.

I think they'd prefer to test him in the AHL before they make a decision on Grubauer and their 2021 tandem. It'd also let Parkkila and JIF work with him full time which would be a benefit because he still has issues with shots up high, and going down too early.

I'm not sure Annunen would want to leave Finland yet though. I think he'll probably want to stay another year but who knows. Maybe they make him an offer and he feels he's ready.
I addressed Werner's season in a post a week or so ago. IMO Werner has had a very good season so far. His starts are 15-8-1, 2.86 GAA and .911 SV%. Of his 8 losses and 1 tie game, 5 of them he has allowed 4 or more goals (1x7 goals, 3x5 goals 3x4 goals). The 7-goal (.831 SV5) game and two of the 4-goal games (.429 and .833) will hurt your stats quite a bit. The .429 SV% was 4 goals on 7 shots. The problem with Werner is inconsistency but that was to be expected in his first season in NA. He is either very, very good or when he loses he is usually very, very bad. Fortunately he has had a lot more great games than awful games. If he can reduce the amount of awful games the Avs could have something pretty good in him. I see at least a decent backup in him. Time will tell.

It would be nice to see Annunen with the Eagles next season and battle for the starting job with Werner but it could be very detrimental to Werner. Werner needs lots of starts right now and bringing Annunen right away could take that away from him and slow his development.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't think there's any rush to bring Annunen over, goalies take longer to develop and I don't think there's too much difference developing overseas as opposed to on NA ice. As long as the Avs are keeping an open line of communication of what the plans are with him, we shouldn't have any issues bringing him over eventually.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad