Pre-Game Talk: 2019-20 Playoff Watch Thread

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I think their conversion rate has been too good not to go .500~ the rest of the way. In that respect, I think they will make it.

The flip side of this is that they're not volume shooters so they rely on a good conversion rate to mask a poor shot differential. Normally, that's bad news over a larger sample. But the sample of remaining games is so small that it need not bear itself out.

My call: They obtain a Wild Card spot.
They will go a few games under 500 for the month of March.

We're at the mercy of the league now son.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The Athletic model has the Canucks down to 45% chance which is 9th best in the west this morning.

Reactions: vanuck

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
:cbjis playing hard

A heavy game is next.

If they can't get up for this game after how they lost the lead in Columbus not long ago, then this team doesn't have a pulse. Blue Jackets will be on a back-to-back, playing the Oilers Saturday night.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
The team went to shit the moment the tank thread was closed. A little humility looks like it’s coming, in hindsight, because the Benning Bros cried and cried and finally got their way, and now the team is even odds to make it 5 straight years out of the playoffs.

Live and let live, Benning Bros. That thread ain’t never done nothing to to ya. It’s just a thread. Poor little feller.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
The team went to shit the moment the tank thread was closed. A little humility looks like it’s coming, in hindsight, because the Benning Bros cried and cried and finally got their way, and now the team is even odds to make it 5 straight years out of the playoffs.

Live and let live, Benning Bros. That thread ain’t never done nothing to to ya. It’s just a thread. Poor little feller.
Honestly still makes zero sense removing it. Tank rhetoric just bleeds over into other threads naturally as people become fed up with the direction of the team. We are a unique fan base who have been divided by a terrible management group pretty much 50/50, so having only one 'pro-playoff' or 'pro-tank' thread is pretty silly. Let us have the two sides and let people choose where to post. Here it is about 70-30 anti management vs pro management, so it makes even less sense to not have a tank thread. Why force people who want to cheer for the team to win every game together with people who want the team to lose games so the FO is canned? It is going to create WAY more toxicity in the long run than just having designated threads for each side to make a lot of their posts in.

I probably spend too much time on this forum, as I love the format and discussion that goes on here, but I don't like when it makes decisions like this.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Honestly still makes zero sense removing it. Tank rhetoric just bleeds over into other threads naturally as people become fed up with the direction of the team. We are a unique fan base who have been divided by a terrible management group pretty much 50/50, so having only one 'pro-playoff' or 'pro-tank' thread is pretty silly. Let us have the two sides and let people choose where to post. Here it is about 70-30 anti management vs pro management, so it makes even less sense to not have a tank thread. Why force people who want to cheer for the team to win every game together with people who want the team to lose games so the FO is canned? It is going to create WAY more toxicity in the long run than just having designated threads for each side to make a lot of their posts in.

I probably spend too much time on this forum, as I love the format and discussion that goes on here, but I don't like when it makes decisions like this.
I agree a thousand percent with you. Was it just the name of the thread that got it canned? Like because obviously an intentional tank is not happening? Could we not just have the thread renamed the anti management thread? Something like that? I dunno. Only cheerleaders allowed to post? Like why take away the refuge for the “bad” posters and have them migrate to the pompom threads? I am beyond mystified.

As my user tag suggests, I AM TRYING TO UNDERSTAND.

Reactions: B-rock and clunk

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I agree a thousand percent with you. Was it just the name of the thread that got it canned? Like because obviously an intentional tank is not happening? Could we not just have the thread renamed the anti management thread? Something like that? I dunno. Only cheerleaders allowed to post? Like why take away the refuge for the “bad” posters and have them migrate to the pompom threads? I am beyond mystified.

As my user tag suggests, I AM TRYING TO UNDERSTAND.
Their reasoning is that it contributed to board toxicity while the team was in a playoff spot. I think it does the complete opposite. People just need to stop coming in to either thread and trying to troll. I would just put a disclaimer in the title of each thread and hand out thread bans or infractions for anyone that comes in with an opposing viewpoint in either thread. Yes, make each thread a hard line echo chamber for anti-management and pro-management. That's how you solve this issue.

We are never going to become 'united' as a fan base until Jim Benning and co are fired. Stop trying to force us together when we don't really want to be. The management thread already serves as a neutral stomping ground for discussion/arguments.

Pro management people have GDTs and pretty much every other thread on the forum to cheer on wins. We have nothing.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Their reasoning is that it contributed to board toxicity while the team was in a playoff spot. I think it does the complete opposite. People just need to stop coming in to either thread and trying to troll. I would just put a disclaimer in the title of each thread and hand out thread bans or infractions for anyone that comes in with an opposing viewpoint in either thread. Yes, make each thread a hard line echo chamber for anti-management and pro-management. That's how you solve this issue.

We are never going to become 'united' as a fan base until Jim Benning and co are fired. Stop trying to force us together when we don't really want to be. The management thread already serves as a neutral stomping ground for discussion/arguments.

Pro management people have GDTs and pretty much every other thread on the forum to cheer on wins. We have nothing.
It really does seem unfair. When I agreed to site rules for my account I never saw a clause that demanded I blindly supported every facet of my chosen franchise.

Reactions: racerjoe and B-rock

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
It really does seem unfair. When I agreed to site rules for my account I never saw a clause that demanded I blindly supported every facet of my chosen franchise.
I'd just like to see a greater explanation handed out. They didn't really elaborate enough nor were they open to counter arguments.

They really need to reconsider this decision. I know it sounds incredibly ridiculous, but I'll make a petition if they do not decide to reinstate it. That's how much I care about this forum. I really want to see the highest quality discussion going on here, and I think we are at such a unique time in the history of our organisation where censoring either side of the aisle is truly tragic. I don't think the mods that banned the creation of tank threads for our forum really understand the gravity of the situation here.

Reactions: B-rock and vanuck

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

What I've always liked most about this place is that not only do you usually see a relatively high level of discourse and intelligence, but also it has always been an environment that allowed people who think differently from the 'norm' to post. Freedom of opinion was what separated HFBoards from the likes of CDC or Reddit. Overall, HF Canucks is still a better community than those other places, but it is now a little less liberal.

This isn't directed at you but I just want to emphasize to anyone reading this that one should never forget that everyone here wants the Canucks to win the Stanley Cup. The tank movement only wants management fired because to them it's the best way to achieve that. Not because they hate the team all of a sudden. It was a sad day when #teamtank is no longer allowed to openly express its wish.

Not to get too political here but it's a bit like saying any Chinese citizen who criticizes the Communist Party and wants political change is unpatriotic, when a country and its government are two entirely separate things.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I'd just like to see a greater explanation handed out. They didn't really elaborate enough nor were they open to counter arguments.

They really need to reconsider this decision. I know it sounds incredibly ridiculous, but I'll make a petition if they do not decide to reinstate it. That's how much I care about this forum. I really want to see the highest quality discussion going on here, and I think we are at such a unique time in the history of our organisation where censoring either side of the aisle is truly tragic. I don't think the mods that banned the creation of tank threads for our forum really understand the gravity of the situation here.
Buddy. You don’t even know about the forum and the way things don’t really matter besides the chosen narrative until you see what happened with the wrestling subforum.

Reactions: clunk

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

What's interesting is that AFAIK most of this board is already anti-management to begin with. Wanting a tank was just one outcome of that stance.

Reactions: clunk

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Buddy. You don’t even know about the forum and the way things don’t really matter besides the chosen narrative until you see what happened with the wrestling subforum.
Aha, I was active on the political forum and quite disliked across the board because of my views there. It really turned to **** fast because of the lack of a clear 'two sides'. It was like 95% of the posters were on one side, and 5% were the counter culture. Thus, 'right wing' posters would get ganged up on in nearly every single thread until it became just a cancerous place to be. I did enjoy the freedom of speech element there, though. There were virtually no rules, and it really was a remarkable social experiment overall. It died though due to, imo, the lack of echo chamber threads for each side. There was absolutely zero discourse available for those of a certain mindset only. It was always muddied by petty ad homs which absolutely derailed every single thread.

Because there are strict rules on the hockey forums, you really need to not choose sides. You need to allow 'home' threads for each side to congregate so we can vent our frustrations (or praises) without having to argue our positions each and every time. It gets tedious when you post something (either anti or pro management) and you have to justify your position each and every time. I just want to be able to cheer for losses without getting snarky multiple paragraph responses telling me why I'm not a real fan and should go cheer for another team, etc. I believe the pro management people should have the same privilege.

Reactions: B-rock

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Aha, I was active on the political forum and quite disliked across the board because of my views there. It really turned to **** fast because of the lack of a clear 'two sides'. It was like 95% of the posters were on one side, and 5% were the counter culture. Thus, 'right wing' posters would get ganged up on in nearly every single thread until it became just a cancerous place to be. I did enjoy the freedom of speech element there, though. There were virtually no rules, and it really was a remarkable social experiment overall. It died though due to, imo, the lack of echo chamber threads for each side. There was absolutely zero discourse available for those of a certain mindset only. It was always muddied by petty ad homs which absolutely derailed every single thread.

Because there are strict rules on the hockey forums, you really need to not choose sides. You need to allow 'home' threads for each side to congregate so we can vent our frustrations (or praises) without having to argue our positions each and every time. It gets tedious when you post something (either anti or pro management) and you have to justify your position each and every time. I just want to be able to cheer for losses without getting snarky multiple paragraph responses telling me why I'm not a real fan and should go cheer for another team, etc. I believe the pro management people should have the same privilege.
I wasn’t here for the political forum.
I fully agree though in a continent of free speech that we should have the freedom to cheer losses for the greater good of our chosen team.

Reactions: B-rock and clunk

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Big agree with everything.

Call it the anti Benning thread, whatever. It was a good place to vent talk about errors and such and not clutter other threads with "negativity ".

Reactions: vanuck

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Our schedule is pretty damn perfect to control our own fate. We have two more cracks at Arizona and Vegas while getting another game against Calgary and Winnipeg. Those six games will likely decide if we make the playoffs unless we beat up on California.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
What I've always liked most about this place is that not only do you usually see a relatively high level of discourse and intelligence, but also it has always been an environment that allowed people who think differently from the 'norm' to post. Freedom of opinion was what separated HFBoards from the likes of CDC or Reddit. Overall, HF Canucks is still a better community than those other places, but it is now a little less liberal.

This isn't directed at you but I just want to emphasize to anyone reading this that one should never forget that everyone here wants the Canucks to win the Stanley Cup. The tank movement only wants management fired because to them it's the best way to achieve that. Not because they hate the team all of a sudden. It was a sad day when #teamtank is no longer allowed to openly express its wish.

Not to get too political here but it's a bit like saying any Chinese citizen who criticizes the Communist Party and wants political change is unpatriotic, when a country and its government are two entirely separate things.
Hit the nail on the head, vanuck. Some of the seemingly, at first, 'dumbest' and 'whackiest' people ended up turning into cultural icons for their innovative strategies and methods in doing things. An internet forum obviously pales in comparison, but this is really the only forum that allows you (or allowED) to take whatever stance you wish in your fandom. Whether you are a casual or hardcore fan, you have your own ways of supporting this team. You have opinions unique to yourself and (albeit fantasy) team building and development strategies that in your mind best suit this organisation going forward.

We need a forum that isn't policed for 'toxicity', nor censored for dissident ideas. No matter how dumb or crazy one looks initially, they must have a platform to express their opinions without fear of infraction or their posts being deleted. Obviously, yeah, if the person is clearly just making posts to get a rise out of other posters, you can make that judgement call for the sake of the quality of discussion here. But, if someone presents solid arguments for their position and justifies it well (like us tank supporters), why would you NOT let us operate here? It's much more interesting than just expecting everyone to cheer for wins each and every time when all it is doing is prolonging the suffering of this franchise.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I actually disagree @clunk & @Didalee Hed

I think it is fine to be done with the Tank thread.

We should be able to discuss the state of the team with out segregation in to opinion camps.
It is all our shortcoming (and I am definitely at fault at times) if we are unable to discuss and disagree on how our team should be ran.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I actually disagree @clunk & @Didalee Hed

I think it is fine to be done with the Tank thread.

We should be able to discuss the state of the team with out segregation in to opinion camps.
It is all our shortcoming (and I am definitely at fault at times) if we are unable to discuss and disagree on how our team should be ran.
It's either 'segregation camps', or people both cheering for wins and cheering for losses in GDTs, which would most likely be a shit show. Or, sticking with what we have now and completely censoring pro-tank people which I think is unjust.

Tank thread or bust imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad