2019-20 Dallas Stars Regular Season Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Most of us thought it was lack of effort , but given he had to work on skating issues when younger, makes sense he might have slid back and need a tune up. We hope so.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
By the way Benn aparently worked with a figure skater to rework and improve how he skates during offseason.

Fixing Jamie Benn: Inside the Stars captain's quest for a bounce-back year

So hopefully that'll make a difference. I do think his skating was a problem last year .
The Stars fed this same story to Shapiro as well. Clearly, the Stars are trying to rehabilitate the image they helped tear down last season.

How a British figure skater is helping Jamie Benn and the...

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Most of us thought it was lack of effort , but given he had to work on skating issues when younger, makes sense he might have slid back and need a tune up. We hope so.

It's probably both. Given the leg/hip injuries he's had, his skating has probably been hampered and more laborious. But it's also fairly easy to just tell that he's been lazy at times.

LT

Jul 23, 2010
I'll post the GDT (or someone can beat me to it, as I have meetings all day) once some of the tweets are up.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
By the way Benn aparently worked with a figure skater to rework and improve how he skates during offseason.

Fixing Jamie Benn: Inside the Stars captain's quest for a bounce-back year

So hopefully that'll make a difference. I do think his skating was a problem last year .

The Stars fed this same story to Shapiro as well. Clearly, the Stars are trying to rehabilitate the image they helped tear down last season.

How a British figure skater is helping Jamie Benn and the...

It's probably both. Given the leg/hip injuries he's had, his skating has probably been hampered and more laborious. But it's also fairly easy to just tell that he's been lazy at times.
I have not been shy of my criticism of Benn, and his skating was definitely one of the big elements. Whether hurt or lazy or whatever, it was not what it needed to be. However, this does speak well of him that he noticed an issue in his game and is willing to work on it; that takes humility, which can be a precursor to growth.

These items: (1) improved skating, (2) scoring support (e.g. Pavelski, et al), (3) a better off-season workout to aid his season-long endurance (per coach's comments), and (4) getting him away from the front of the net and into the slot to take advantage of his shot—all of these should all help him have a great rebound season. He definitely needs one.

I assume that the most frustrating part (for fans at least) is that what we've been seeing lately hasn't lined-up with what he has shown to be capable of: to be the best and most dominant power forward (LW) in the game. I'm cautiously optimistic that he can get back there. If he does, look out league; the Stars will be a force to be reckoned with. #GoStars

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Saw this in the comments on DBD. Genius.

CFC Line.JPG

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
While not a predictor, we have to remember, even if he is in decline, it won't be even every year.

For instance, a similar power forward in Brendan Morrow's career Stars stats from age 28 on were:
2007 - 82 games, 32 goals - age 28 to begin season
2008 - 18 g - 5 goals (22 goal pace)
2009 - 76g - 20 goals
2010 - 82g -33 goals
2011 - 57g - 11 goals (16 goal pace)
2012 - 29g - 6 goals (with Stars) overall with 22 goal pace including PIT
2013 - Final season with Blues, scored 13 in 71, a 15 goal pace had he been able to play the whole season.

After a injury filled season at age 29, he bounced back in 2010 at 31, before getting injured all the time. I suspect we will get at least one more 30 goal season out of Benn, and then need to be happy when he hits 20 ish.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
While not a predictor, we have to remember, even if he is in decline, it won't be even every year.

For instance, a similar power forward in Brendan Morrow's career Stars stats from age 28 on were:
2007 - 82 games, 32 goals - age 28 to begin season
2008 - 18 g - 5 goals (22 goal pace)
2009 - 76g - 20 goals
2010 - 82g -33 goals
2011 - 57g - 11 goals (16 goal pace)
2012 - 29g - 6 goals (with Stars) overall with 22 goal pace including PIT
2013 - Final season with Blues, scored 13 in 71, a 15 goal pace had he been able to play the whole season.

After a injury filled season at age 29, he bounced back in 2010 at 31, before getting injured all the time. I suspect we will get at least one more 30 goal season out of Benn, and then need to be happy when he hits 20 ish.
While I agree to some extent, Morrow was never on the same level as Benn even in his best year(s), IMHO.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yes, the biggest comparison is power forward, bruising style, which contribute to wearing down the body. And, 32 and 33 goals isn't that far of 35 and 3, especially when Benn scored 36 under Ruff. Both had a carousel of coaches.

LT

Jul 23, 2010
Yes, the biggest comparison is power forward, bruising style, which contribute to wearing down the body. And, 32 and 33 goals isn't that far of 35 and 3, especially when Benn scored 36 under Ruff. Both had a carousel of coaches.

Morrow never had anywhere close to the skill that Benn does. Morrow and Pavelski are much better comparables than Morrow and Benn.

Benn's comparable that I think fits the best is Iginla, although Iginla's peak was better.

LT

Jul 23, 2010
To summarize, Bob McKenzie said for Honka its a matter of when, not if, he gets traded. It will likely be for a draft pick and should come in the next several days or weeks as teams get a better feel for their young players and injuries that might occur.

Wasn't directly stated, but sounds like Europe is not an option at all for Honka. He'll just bide his time.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean we already knew all that. Exactly zero new information provided to us there.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Yeah Friedman already said this on the radio and then some. Plus it was stated a few weeks ago that's teams like MTL dont want to give up draft picks. A lot of injuries going around early so I imagine something happens with Honka soon. Will just probably be underhwhelming.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
With the injuries going on (thoughts and prayers with Polak) who would you think would be the most likely callups?

LT

Jul 23, 2010
At forward, Gardner and Robertson/Kiviranta. Although we'll probably "need some veteran leadership" and bring up Kero or Mersch for some stupid reason.

On defense, not sure. Hanley, most likely, if I had to guess.

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
With the injuries going on (thoughts and prayers with Polak) who would you think would be the most likely callups?

Well we should call up Robertson so we have a top 6 option for Dickinson, but it probably won't happen.

Who it should be
Robertson, Kiviranta or L'Esperance and Bayreuther

Who it'll end up being
Djuse or Hanley, Kero and Mersch

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I'm fairly certain for the Gardner will be one of the callups . On defense not so sure. Probably Hanley ? Second forward i think Robertson makes the most sense. Play him top 6 in Dickinsons spot .

LT

Jul 23, 2010
Djuse seemed to play himself into a full time AHL role. I'd hope he's at best our 4th call up option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad