Blue Jays GDT: 2018 v2| Next: Fri May 18 | vs Oak| 7pm ET/4pm PT | Anderson vs Estrada

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
How long can Boston stick with Devers at 3rd? Not that errors are a great measure of defensive proficiency, but he's committed 10 errors (6 throwing, 4 fielding) in <40 games this season at 3rd. Last year he committed 14 (7 of each) in 56 games. Seems like he has to be destined for left field sooner rather than later.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
If the starting pitching continues to be awful (and there is no evidence it won't) there is no hope for this roster as it is constructed.

They just don't have enough bats to possibly compensate.

With Donaldson obviously not healthy and Pillar going to regress (we all know it's coming - as he gets a hit while I type that) this team doesn't have a single good hitter at any position.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
If the starting pitching continues to be awful (and there is no evidence it won't) there is no hope for this roster as it is constructed.

With Donaldson obviously not healthy and Pillar going to regress (we all know it's coming - as he gets a hit while I type that) this team doesn't have a single good hitter at any position.

This is kind of a silly contradictory statement.

On one hand there's no evidence that the pitching will regress upwards to be closer to its projected performance level (ie actually be decent)

On the other hand we know Pillar is going to regress towards his historical/projected performance level (ie get worse).

You can't just say that one type of regression isn't going to happen and another one is entirely to better frame your argument that this is hopeless and the team sucks. Either regression happens and performance tends towards sustainable levels or it doesn't and what we see now is a truer picture of the players going forward than what was projected to begin the season.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

That's a bad attitude. You say that Pillar can only get worse and Donaldson won't get better.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
This is kind of a silly contradictory statement.

On one hand there's no evidence that the pitching will regress upwards to be closer to its projected performance level (ie actually be decent)

On the other hand we know Pillar is going to regress towards his historical/projected performance level (ie get worse).

You can't just say that one type of regression isn't going to happen and another one is entirely to better frame your argument that this is hopeless and the team sucks. Either regression happens and performance tends towards sustainable levels or it doesn't and what we see now is a truer picture of the players going forward than what was projected to begin the season.

I hear what you're saying and agree, it's contradictory, but it's hard to have much hope for this team.

This is the second straight year Estrada looks bad. Stroman is hurt. Happ is what he is (a 3rd/4th starter). This is only Sanchez's second full season as a Major League starter, who knows what he really is. And Garcia is a typical 5th starter.

Maybe it's just the hopeless feeling of watching them blow yet another winnable game.

It's really hard to look at this team and be confident. I mean - even if the starters do perform closer to what was expected - where is the offense going to come from?

Look at the players they are relying on to get better:

Martin and Morales are complete disasters.
Smoak looks like last year was a fluke.
Donaldson is obviously hurt.
Hernandez is a raw prospect who might be a find, but he also might be a Colby Rasmus type.
Travis is in the minors.

I could go on, but the point is: management's patch work lineup and band aid solutions don't appear to be very effective (Solarte is an exception).

I'm not there yet, but I'm pretty close to being of the mind that it's time to blow the veterans off this roster and give those games to the young guys and see what happens.

The last thing I want to see is a season wasted giving at bats to Morales and others in a vain attempt to contend when the prudent long-term move would be to take a step back and play the newcomers and let them get some experience.

Last edited:

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
That's a bad attitude. You say that Pillar can only get worse and Donaldson won't get better.

I never said that.

I said he's hurt. Donaldson is my favourite player and is - by far - the best talent on the roster. But he's injured.

He's been hurt since the first day of the season and they have now played 40 games (with him missing a chunk on the DL). In my mind, his injury is no longer a "he'll be fine in a few days" kind of thing. It looks like something that is going to be an issue going forward.

I'm very skeptical we're going to see a big upturn in his performance because he clearly has a serious injury that hasn't healed.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I don't have time at the moment to go through everything above, but it's worth at least saying in brief that having an OF like Hernandez be another Rasmus isn't exactly a bad thing. If I can go all Zeke for a moment, Colby was basically a 2 bWAR/500PA guy in his Toronto run. It's not elite, but you could surely do worse as a passable LF or 4th OF who bats in the bottom half of the lineup with some pop.

And Smoak might not return to full 2017 form, but if his power rebounds a little bit back towards career norms he's still a solid player (right now he's posting his lowest .ISO of his Blue Jays tenure by a not-insignificant amount)

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I never said that.

I said he's hurt. Donaldson is my favourite player and is - by far - the best talent on the roster. But he's injured.

He's been hurt since the first day of the season and they have now played 40 games (with him missing a chunk on the DL). In my mind, his injury is no longer a "he'll be fine in a few days" kind of thing. It looks like something that is going to be an issue going forward.

I'm very skeptical we're going to see a big upturn in his performance because he clearly has a serious injury that hasn't healed.

What makes you think he's injured? He himself said that he's fine. All systems go.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
What makes you think he's injured? He himself said that he's fine. All systems go.

He's also a free agent who doesn't want his walk year ruined by spending large parts of it on the DL.

Honestly, I'm a little confused by your comment. I'm not sure how anybody can watch the Donaldson of this year and think that his injury isn't something that continues to bother him.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
He's also a free agent who doesn't want his walk year ruined by spending large parts of it on the DL.

Honestly, I'm a little confused by your comment. I'm not sure how anybody can watch the Donaldson of this year and think that his injury isn't something that continues to bother him.

Well, I haven't been watching as closely with the Leafs and Raps being in the playoffs. He seems ok since he came back, his throwing seems normal. What do you see in his throwing lately? I like different viewpoints.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Morales 1 for his last 32. Not good batting numbers from a pitcher let alone a DH

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
None of these guys they keep calling up seem all that impressive with the stick. Pompey, Alford, Smith, Urena, Gurriel, all seem like minor league fodder. Maybe it's too early on Gurriel, though. His brother said Lourdes is a better hitter than him. So far, have not seen it. But yes, it's early.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
How long can Boston stick with Devers at 3rd? Not that errors are a great measure of defensive proficiency, but he's committed 10 errors (6 throwing, 4 fielding) in <40 games this season at 3rd. Last year he committed 14 (7 of each) in 56 games. Seems like he has to be destined for left field sooner rather than later.

He currently has a positive defensive value at 3B according to metrics.....

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
2018 Morales might be the worst MLB player (and certainly the worst regular) I've ever seen.

Unplayable at any defensive position. Worst baserunner in the sport. .500 OPS.

Not bringing in Granderson to pinch-hit there and allowing Morales to hit LH in a key situation is inexcusable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad