Series Discussion: 2018 Stanley Cup Final: Washington Capitals vs Vegas Golden Knights

Who wins?

• Total voters

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
Hey guys, I am going to be having Joe Beninati on my radio show Off the Post with Filk and Rock on Long Island’s radio network Sportsonthego1 tonight at 5:30. You can catch us on the Sportsonthego1 Facebook Page, Sportsonthego1.com, Periscope, Twitter and the RadioTuneIn App. I hope you all tune in and please don’t hesitate to call us at 631-676-2968

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
McNabb seems like the guy to try and take advantage of, out of that top 4. Usually responds to poor play by trying to get physical, but he hasn't had pushback from a Wilson yet.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Problem is, right now Kempny is as likely to be taken advantage of by their forecheck, coughing backhand pucks up all day.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I heard McNabb can hit. Reeves. Engelland too. Of course I heard Tampa was going to be hitting us hard. Maybe this will be our most violent series. We are more loaded up front and need to use that size to our advantage. But a dent in our armor is both DSP and Orpik injured last game.

A shout out to Djoos. He looked good the last 3 series. Great patience and vision on the break, which buys forwards time to get into a lane. He has some nifty little moves we see bits and pieces of. He does not lug out the mail and that is great because passing is much faster than skating anyways. Up and out he is a modern day puck mover. He has untapped offense. He started to look worn out late in the series though.

Last edited:

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I heard McNabb can hit. Reeves. Engelland too. Of course I heard Tampa was going to be hitting us hard. Maybe this will be our most violent series. We are more loaded up front and need to use that size to our advantage. But a dent in our armor is both DSP and Orpik injured last game.
Agree. Also, in average, they hit 8 more per game, and I thought it's Caps who are hitting a lot.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
Hey guys, I am going to be having Joe Beninati on my radio show Off the Post with Filk and Rock on Long Island’s radio network Sportsonthego1 tonight at 5:30. You can catch us on the Sportsonthego1 Facebook Page, Sportsonthego1.com, Periscope, Twitter and the RadioTuneIn App. I hope you all tune in and please don’t hesitate to call us at 631-676-2968

could u upload it on youtube pls

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
DSP ramped up the hitting late vs Tampa and it definitely helped finish em. My lord Ovi's hitting was excellent. Guys hitting in waves late in our series seemed to be a difference maker. Willy destroying Kunitz led to the series winning goal. I don't remember seeing him much after that. Then Coburn waved the white flag. Tampa. Tapped. Out.

One guy didn't - Paquette. I hope he at least got a $2700 fine. Talk about a desperation homer non call. Ahhhhh..... the diversion attempt faux review was worth a laugh. only we have penalties reviewed.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Are there any top line forwards in the NHL that hit harder than Ovi and Willy? I doubt combined. Our top line is excellent and can do it all. We can hit and destroy, have elite speed and skill, Elite one timer. Willy has a lot of nice ES assists. We draw penalties against conventional thinking with head hunter Willy. We don't have faceoffs but who cares we can go nail the D that get the puck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koized

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Just because they defeated the Angeles Kings and the Jose Sharks, the Golden Knights now think they are special.

The Louis Blues made it to the Stanley Cup Final in their first year and look what happened to them. :sarcasm:

Reactions: RandyHolt

JMUcapsfan07

Jan 29, 2010
NoVA
What'd he say?

He had a few good stories including one about a few Instagram "likes" resulting in a false rumor ending up in newspapers about Wilson dating Selena Gomez and the resulting conflict with his then gf and her mom. He also talked about being super happy for Wilson and the Caps.

The real highlight of the episode was an absolutely hilarious interview with Fleury though. Spittin' Chiclets has definitely been a lot of fun to listen to during the playoffs.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I don't take Vegas lightly. All year I kept wondering when the wheels would fall of for them. They will be emotionally charged with opening home game with a game opening carnival and their past series wins. This is where Ovy, Kuz, and Vrana need to shut it down and steal momentum. The biggest key is to stay out of the penalty box. Vegas isn't a team to fool around with blind passes either. Have to make the shots, not fancy plays. In other words, Oshie needs to shoot :). This has been a helluva few days of celebration so far and enjoying the break. Can't wait for Monday!

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
DSP ramped up the hitting late vs Tampa and it definitely helped finish em. My lord Ovi's hitting was excellent. Guys hitting in waves late in our series seemed to be a difference maker. Willy destroying Kunitz led to the series winning goal. I don't remember seeing him much after that. Then Coburn waved the white flag. Tampa. Tapped. Out.

One guy didn't - Paquette. I hope he at least got a $2700 fine. Talk about a desperation homer non call. Ahhhhh..... the diversion attempt faux review was worth a laugh. only we have penalties reviewed.

Re: Paquette. It looked to me like Orlov and the Caps player behind him in the handshake line, BOTH chose to not shake hands with Paquette? It looked like they might have just brushed hands but didn't actually shake.
Did anybody else see that or am I wrong?

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Are there any top line forwards in the NHL that hit harder than Ovi and Willy? I doubt combined. Our top line is excellent and can do it all. We can hit and destroy, have elite speed and skill, Elite one timer. Willy has a lot of nice ES assists. We draw penalties against convention thinking with head hunter Willy. We don't have faceoffs but who cares we can go nail the D that get the puck.

I just hope that Trotz, Ovi, etc have a talk with Wilson about how he is WAY more important on the ice than off it or in the penalty box. There is going to be some serious sh*t going down between Wilson and Reaves in this series. I expect Vegas to be coaching Reaves to try and get in a fight with Wilson etc to get him thrown out of the game or in the box. Wilson needs to play hard and stand up for his team but he also needs to be very careful.
It's definitely going to be one of the many plot lines of this series.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Vegas's speed will be tough for Orpik, but he's had a strong post season. It goes without saying there have been times he has covered for Djoos, including that series changer helper in our crease in game 7. Only after Djoos and Orpik prevented that goal, that I started to believe. It was tough to see but I think Orpik got credited with the final save. That's how close a team is from posting a shutout and heading to Vegas, or going back to Kettler to clean out the locker. It wasn't luck this time. He probably saw Djoos in front and said faaaaaa.

The Caps did score more two more goals, they didn't win 1-0. Now that Kunhackl post, who knows what happens if that goes in.........:eek:

As far as the physical aspect of this series goes, and taking nothing from the Caps, the Knights did just survive Big Buff rather easily so I don't know how much of a factor this will be.

Last edited:
Reactions: RandyHolt

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Vegas is the fastest and deepest team in the league. All 4 lines are dangerous match ups. In the 2 games the caps played them this season they skated circles around the caps and we had no answer for the speed.
If the caps are to take down the Knights they will have to keep the heavy game going. Wilson, Ovie, Orpik, DSP. All have the size that Vegas doesn’t. Hit them hard, make them scared, get into their heads.
Of course this is hockey so it’s pretty much all come down goalie play. We have played Flurey many times when he was a penguin. We know he has a slow glove hand and to shoot high on him. Holtby has to be good and not let in the soft goals.
This Stanley Cup Run will be fun
#ALLCAPS

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
Vegas is the fastest and deepest team in the league.
Everybody's bought in, but their actual roster isn't very deep at all. It's actually, now that the top line and Haula have turned out so much better than expected, really top-heavy -- and that's shown up in their playoff scoring. Depth absolutely should be one of the Capitals' biggest advantages.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad