2018 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
For another player to surpass Hughes, he would have to clearly show Hughes-level talent. No one has. Talent is evident from the outset. Hughes is clearly ahead. That's why people are saying he will remain at #1. Other players may have great years, and Hughes may struggle, but that talent level will not change. This is why he's all but assured to go #1.

As an aside: It was different in 2017 where Patrick fell and Hischier rose to overtake him. Patrick was not regarded as the most talented player in his class. His injuries coupled with more talented players excelling led to his drop. In 2019, no one is more talented than Hughes.

one last thing...

I appreciate your reply as it had bases and you put some thought and effort into it...mostly, you weren't snarky about it. I agree with your point about Hischier/Patrick...so I wouldn't have mentioned them as an example.

I was going more along the lines of young individuals and their abilities to overcome odds or expectations.

Note, I'm not saying Hughes doesn't have the possibility to exceed expectations, he may do that this year...I'm just not willing to discount others.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
I prefer the wait and see approach...yes, Hughes is considered the top of the class now (I never said otherwise), but nothing is set in stone. Stranger things have happened...

Regardless, my point was a hypothetical one...not really meant for argument.

I'm not sure if you read my original post because 'someone' derailed it into a fruitless argument by lack of comprehension.

Hypothetically, 'IF' the situation arises where there is no consesus bpa...I would prefer another pick other than Hughes if another player has other attributes (and he was tied in ranking) that could compliment our run for the SC...eventually...hopefully...maybe. **Hard to say this with Benning still at the helm** To discuss this, you have to accept a possible scenario that another player is ranked equal to Hughes... fantasy or not.

Regardless, my point was that I do not care to trade up for Hughes if we're in a situation where he's not available at our pick...if you disagree, I'm willing to converse about this. We can discuss pros and cons, roi, potential lines, marketability, etc.

What I'm not willing to debate on is what will happen a year from now. This type of argument is not only nonsensical, it won't get resolved and only waste time for everyone involved. I cannot see a conclusion to this if someone cannot accept the possibility of multiple variables that could affect results.

I would've bet everything on Trump losing...that seemed like a sure bet at the time.

Leicester city winning English Premier League...

More related to individual performances, Michael Jordon's rise in bball. NOBODY had expected him to reach the levels that he did in the NBA. As a Tar Heel, he was considered very good, but far from consesus #1 OA...he was the 3rd pick. In one year, his first year as a Bull, he pulled himself away from the field and won Rookie of the Year and now...considered by many to be the greatest of all time.

All I'm saying is that there are no difinitives in life and I will never underestimate the potential of a young person with passion. Can't change my thoughts on this.

Disagreeing with your opinion or taking issue with the premise of your argument isn’t a “lack of comprehension.”

People disagree on this board often, and it doesn’t have to result in snarkiness.

I didn’t mean for my original reply to be rude, but if that’s the way it appeared I apologize. But I’m not the only one to blame for the discussion degrading into what it did.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
Disagreeing with your opinion or taking issue with the premise of your argument isn’t a “lack of comprehension.”

People disagree on this board often, and it doesn’t have to result in snarkiness.

I didn’t mean for my original reply to be rude, but if that’s the way it appeared I apologize.

Fair enough, I might be a little sensitive at the moment cause my dad's in the hospital... been a bit of a rollercoaster, but he is in recovery now.

And you're right...disagreeing is an essential part of this forum and the snarkiness can get out of hand. I definitely cannot say I'm innocent of that...

So, I apologize in kind for taking your post the wrong way...

Hope we can disagree more in the future! I'll try and temper my 'attitude'

Reactions: Ronning On Empty

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Fair enough, I might be a little sensitive at the moment cause my dad's in the hospital... been a bit of a rollercoaster, but he is in recovery now.

And you're right...disagreeing is an essential part of this forum and the snarkiness can get out of hand. I definitely cannot say I'm innocent of that...

So, I apologize in kind for taking your post the wrong way...

Hope we can disagree more in the future! I'll try and temper my 'attitude'

All the best to your dad—it’s never easy having loved ones in the hospital.

Should be a season rife with disagreements—I’ll try to construct mine more tactfully in the future.

Reactions: Ronning On Empty

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
All the best to your dad—it’s never easy having loved ones in the hospital.

Should be a season rife with disagreements—I’ll try to construct mine more tactfully in the future.
appreciate that! and this is the era for disagreements, Ready Player One!

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I prefer the wait and see approach...yes, Hughes is considered the top of the class now (I never said otherwise), but nothing is set in stone. Stranger things have happened...

Regardless, my point was a hypothetical one...not really meant for argument.

I'm not sure if you read my original post because 'someone' derailed it into a fruitless argument by lack of comprehension.

Hypothetically, 'IF' the situation arises where there is no consesus bpa...I would prefer another pick other than Hughes if another player has other attributes (and he was tied in ranking) that could compliment our run for the SC...eventually...hopefully...maybe. **Hard to say this with Benning still at the helm** To discuss this, you have to accept a possible scenario that another player is ranked equal to Hughes... fantasy or not.

Regardless, my point was that I do not care to trade up for Hughes if we're in a situation where he's not available at our pick...if you disagree, I'm willing to converse about this. We can discuss pros and cons, roi, potential lines, marketability, etc.

What I'm not willing to debate on is what will happen a year from now. This type of argument is not only nonsensical, it won't get resolved and only waste time for everyone involved. I cannot see a conclusion to this if someone cannot accept the possibility of multiple variables that could affect results.

I would've bet everything on Trump losing...that seemed like a sure bet at the time.

Leicester city winning English Premier League...

More related to individual performances, Michael Jordon's rise in bball. NOBODY had expected him to reach the levels that he did in the NBA. As a Tar Heel, he was considered very good, but far from consesus #1 OA...he was the 3rd pick. In one year, his first year as a Bull, he pulled himself away from the field and won Rookie of the Year and now...considered by many to be the greatest of all time.

All I'm saying is that there are no difinitives in life and I will never underestimate the potential of a young person with passion. Can't change my thoughts on this.

I won't attempt to change your thoughts on the _possibility_ Hughes may go #2 or later. It could happen. The team picking #1 could pick someone else. He could get injured and another prospect puts up superstar totals. He could exhibit clear attitude problems etc... These things could happen. They are just unlikely to happen. The probability is stacked in Hughes' favour because his talent is undeniable. For another player to supplant him, the fundamental make up of his ability would have to be altered. That player's natural ability would have to mutate. Short of that, the talent edge will always lie with Hughes.

Now that you have explained your point to be a hypothetical one, I think we are on the same page here. Ideally, yes, the Canucks take a big right shot C (Cozens/Dach) as that better fits their talent pool. I agree. That's the skill set that is in demand here. Same with a top flight RHD. These are areas of need, and while Hughes is an elite prospect, he will not make good on those attributes. He's just not that type of player.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
I won't attempt to change your thoughts on the _possibility_ Hughes may go #2 or later. It could happen. The team picking #1 could pick someone else. He could get injured and another prospect puts up superstar totals. He could exhibit clear attitude problems etc... These things could happen. They are just unlikely to happen. The probability is stacked in Hughes' favour because his talent is undeniable. For another player to supplant him, the fundamental make up of his ability would have to be altered. That player's natural ability would have to mutate. Short of that, the talent edge will always lie with Hughes.

Now that you have explained your point to be a hypothetical one, I think we are on the same page here. Ideally, yes, the Canucks take a big right shot C (Cozens/Dach) as that better fits their talent pool. I agree. That's the skill set that is in demand here. Same with a top flight RHD. These are areas of need, and while Hughes is an elite prospect, he will not make good on those attributes. He's just not that type of player.

so you're saying there's a chance?

Seriously, I wouldn't bet against Hughes going #1 OA...I just prefer another type of player on this team that has other skill sets we need. So, I mentioned the hypothetical.

I'm pretty sure we agree on the denominator to the premise. The only reason I posted this was that I think it would wrong to trade any pieces to move up for Hughes. This draft is loaded with players that would be considered a major asset to the organization. Add this to our current prospects and we are better off...

To me, trading the few pieces we have would be like taking one step forward and two steps back.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
so you're saying there's a chance?

Seriously, I wouldn't bet against Hughes going #1 OA...I just prefer another type of player on this team that has other skill sets we need. So, I mentioned the hypothetical.

I'm pretty sure we agree on the denominator to the premise. The only reason I posted this was that I think it would wrong to trade any pieces to move up for Hughes. This draft is loaded with players that would be considered a major asset to the organization. Add this to our current prospects and we are better off...

To me, trading the few pieces we have would be like taking one step forward and two steps back.

Agreed. Trading up doesn't make sense. VAN could still get a Turcotte/Cozens/Dach/Newhook/Krebs beyond the 1st pick. It's not as ideal as picking #1, but it will do just fine in terms of building the core group.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Predicted 23 man roster barring injuries. This is not what I want to see but rather what I expect to see.
Didn't spend much time thinking about the line combos, it's just easier to visualize in lines.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Pettersson-Sutter-Eriksson
Roussel-Granlund-Virtanen
Gagner-Beagle-Schaller
Leipsic Goldobin

Edler-Stecher
Del Zotto-Tanev
Pouliot-Gudbranson
Hutton

Markstrom
Nilsson

Traded/waived or Utica:
Gaunce
Biega

Utica:
Juolevi
Gaudette
Demko
Dahlen
Motte
Lind
and everyone else who doesn't need waivers and isn't Jr eligible...

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Do you have some kind of “Brendan Gaunce for GM” reference on your twitter profile? If so - maybe your Canuck follower saw it and found it funny?
No I don't, but I DO have lots of funny retweets about what a joke our front office is... maybe he saw that and found it funny? Aha I kinda want to message him and just find out

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Predicted 23 man roster barring injuries. This is not what I want to see but rather what I expect to see.
Didn't spend much time thinking about the line combos, it's just easier to visualize in lines.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Gagner-Beagle-Schaller
Leipsic Goldobin

Edler-Stecher
Del Zotto-Tanev
Pouliot-Gudbranson
Hutton

Markstrom
Nilsson

Traded/waived or Utica:
Gaunce
Biega

Utica:
Juolevi
Gaudette
Demko
Dahlen
Motte
Lind
and everyone else who doesn't need waivers and isn't Jr eligible...
Wow and yuk.Looks like a bottom 5 again.Maybe this year we luck out in the draft lottery.f
Our defence and goaltending is so bad on many levels.And i said it before Jake Virtanen needs to be on the second line..This is the guy that needs to get going.Eriksson is crap and should not be anywhere other then the 4th line or press box..To much clutter on this team with no skill .

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Wow and yuk.Looks like a bottom 5 again.Maybe this year we luck out in the draft lottery.f
Our defence and goaltending is so bad on many levels.And i said it before Jake Virtanen needs to be on the second line..This is the guy that needs to get going.Eriksson is crap and should not be anywhere other then the 4th line or press box..To much clutter on this team with no skill .
The only way this team gets out of the bottom 5 is if 2 or 3 players blow expectations out of the water. And I don't see that happening. As I said in another thread, the Defense is a tire fire with no powerpaly qb, no minute eating shutdown guy (who isn't injured all the time). At forward, the only thing we can hope for is that it will be fun to watch the kids provided they get some playing time and their psyche doesn't get irreparably damaged.

Yeah, it won't be pretty this year but I'm ok with another high draft pick and the additional development of guys like Hughes and Pettersson.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Gagner-Beagle-Schaller
Leipsic Goldobin

Edler-Stecher
Del Zotto-Tanev
Pouliot-Gudbranson
Hutton

Markstrom
Nilsson

Pretty much the way I see it too, except I think Sutter will end up being the 3rd line center... he just doesn’t have the offensive acumen to hack it in the top 6. I think it’s more likely that they take a flyer on Gagner or Granlund as the 2C, as ugly as that would be.

I just hope that Gaudette blows everyone away at camp and makes this a moot point.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Pretty much the way I see it too, except I think Sutter will end up being the 3rd line center... he just doesn’t have the offensive acumen to hack it in the top 6. I think it’s more likely that they take a flyer on Gagner or Granlund as the 2C, as ugly as that would be.

I just hope that Gaudette blows everyone away at camp and makes this a moot point.
Yeah this team really needs a young guy or 2 to push some of these vets out of the line up.Johnathen Dahlen or Adam Gaudette pushing out Gagners or Eriksson would be ideal.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Was trying to put together my personal lines the other day and...ugh, so many spare parts on this roster. We really need young guys to force Benning to waive/trade some of the vet spare parts.

Granlund....why did we re-sign him? Why?? On the flip side, there's a very good chance he loses out on a spot, gets waived, and strengthens the Utica roster.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
First proposal in awhile how is it?

:nucks
William Nylander (We sign for 7-8 years 7 million per)
Jake Gardiner

:leafs
Chris Tanev
Sven Baertschi
Brandon Sutter (30% retained)
2020 1st (Top 10 protected or goes to 2021.
Conditional 2nd 2019 (if Tanev plays less than 50 games)

For me Sutter retained=Gardiner and Tanev + Baertschi+1st 2020=Nylander’s rights.

Then trade Gagner and Granlund get flipped for picks.

Leipsic-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Pettersson-Nylander
Eriksson-Gaudette-Virtanen
Roussel-Beagle-Schaller
Gaunce/Goldobin

Edler-Gudbranson
Del Zotto-Gardiner
Hutton-Stetcher
Pouliot/Biega

Markstrom
Nilsson

This gives our offence plenty of opportunity to develop, but our defence is still awful, leaving Hughes, Juolevi, Demko etc get another year to develop while giving us high scoring games and hopefully another high pick.

How off/awful is this?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Jake Gardiner

Chris Tanev
Sven Baertschi

For me Sutter retained=Gardiner and Tanev + Baertschi+1st 2020=Nylander’s rights.

Leipsic-Horvat-Boeser
Roussel-Beagle-Schaller
Gaunce/Goldobin

Edler-Gudbranson
Del Zotto-Gardiner
Hutton-Stetcher
Pouliot/Biega

Markstrom
Nilsson

This gives our offence plenty of opportunity to develop, but our defence is still awful, leaving Hughes, Juolevi, Demko etc get another year to develop while giving us high scoring games and hopefully another high pick.

How off/awful is this?

It's off because TOR will not give up Nylander for Tanev. If you turned this around and VAN had Nylander and a gaping hole at RHD, would you do this deal? Or, would you bide your time until the right RHD came along for a cheaper price and execute? I would definitely choose the latter route.

The time to trade Tanev was 2 years ago. Now, the hope has to be that he has a strong year and is able to garner a decent return at the draft. Barring that, he's not pulling an asset like Nylander.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008

Jake Gardiner

Chris Tanev
Sven Baertschi

Leipsic-Horvat-Boeser
Roussel-Beagle-Schaller
Gaunce/Goldobin

Edler-Gudbranson
Del Zotto-Gardiner
Hutton-Stetcher
Pouliot/Biega

Markstrom
Nilsson

How off/awful is this?
Only reason you acquire Nylander is because you believe him to be a true centre. Otherwise no thanks.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I think next year is the year you tinker with the core. This year is the year you figure out what you have, and add to it.

While I am a believer in acquiring best players available, you actually have some cornerstone type players in Boeser, Pettersson, and Q. Hughes. Canucks should be stacking the skill, and that would be putting Pettersson with Boeser, maybe double shifting Boeser once in a while with Horvat's line. As a one-line team, we shouldn't be masking our problems by trying to spread around the depth.

Canucks should be building around a Pettersson / Boeser combo for years to come. Either a puck hound or a Lucic type for the LW would be great too. Maybe that could be Gadjovich some day. I don't think he has ever scored a nice goal in his career, but he's at least 2 years away from even cracking the roster.

The only players that fit the bill as puck hound types on the current roster are Eriksson, Gaudette, Roussel or maybe Motte. We don't have a Lucic type true power forward. With a full season of data of watching the Canucks two best forwards playing together, you can really see whether or not you have "the 3rd Sedin" already in the system, or if he's someone you need to go break the bank to get (like a Nylander as proposed above). Hopefully it's someone already in the system, then you can use the resources of the system to build some quality on the blueline, or hunt for another impact center.

In conclusion, all aboard the Eriksson hype train. I see a ton of points in his future playing on a line with Pettersson and Boeser full time by Christmas. Let the kids play if they are physically ready.

The only thing I am worried about this season is if someone tries to take a run at EP before he gets settled into the league. IMO that's what happened with Gilbert Brule and he never really recovered.

Last edited:

Speedy Creek

Jul 9, 2007
Doing some work on my points-only hockey pool and started to realize Baertschi could be a good sleeper pick. If he plays on #1 line with Boeser + Horvat and gets a fair bit of time on #1 PP unit wouldn't he have a good chance to get 45 - 50 pts

Thoughts ?

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Doing some work on my points-only hockey pool and started to realize Baertschi could be a good sleeper pick. If he plays on #1 line with Boeser + Horvat and gets a fair bit of time on #1 PP unit wouldn't he have a good chance to get 45 - 50 pts

Thoughts ?

Do you play in a really deep pool? Even if he does score that many points (huge if) he won’t get you any PIMs, hits or blocks (if you track those in your league) and he’s unlikely to play over 90% of the games in a season. His +\- will likely suck too given our team is probably going to lose a lot. If you’re going to gamble like that I’d aim for someone with way more untapped potential and/or a better injury history.

I play in a pretty deep 16 team league and I’d avoid him personally. I don’t see the consistentcy or upside potential with him.

Edit: Jesus I totally missed you said points only, my bad. I’d still probably avoid him though unless it’s a very deep league.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Thoughts ?

Aside from the #1 PP unit part Baerstchi's been in the same position now as he has been the last 3 years and has topped out at 35 points. I mean there's always the chance he could stay healthy for a full season and put it together for a 50 point year. Realistically you can expect him to approach a 0.50 PPG pace while missing 10-20 games on the season.

Also for the PP chances are Petersson gets in on the top line with Boeser. Not sure where Horvat will fit there, he'll get the chance now but as the #2 guy behind the Sedins he was never very good at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad