2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This is going to be a bit tougher watching the first round unfold while we sit on the sidlelines but our pick was not exactly that sexy anyways.

Both sides of the Myers debate are interesting. Lord knows our D core has been pretty fragile so who knows maybe they rent Myers for one season? Last seasons top 6 D core was a luxury wasn’t it.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
This is going to be a bit tougher watching the first round unfold while we sit on the sidlelines but our pick was not exactly that sexy anyways.

Both sides of the Myers debate are interesting. Lord knows our D core has been pretty fragile so who knows maybe they rent Myers for one season? Last seasons top 6 D core was a luxury wasn’t it.

Myers' cap hit will have negative cap implications for the Jets if they want to retain all of their RFAs on good contracts. I'd rather slot Poolman in on the 3rd pair than a 5.5m Myers.

Reactions: DJBiffWPG and ps241

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trade Myers, and if Kulikov's injury woes are debilitating, and you have an injury to either Trouba or Buff, the Jets' D looks like this...

Morrissey-Trouba
Chiarot-Poolman
Niku-Morrow

I'm pretty sure the Jets' brass are contemplating that sort of scenario when they think about moving Myers.

Of course, you can't plan for injuries, but with Kulikov's health such a question mark, the Jets will need to think long and hard before moving Myers before next season, I think.

The trouble is that we don't know what they know. Kuli did get back for that last game so maybe his health is OK.

If Kuli is not healthy and we have other injuries it could get tough. Maybe we need to look at acquiring another depth D. But Myers value should be higher than it has been in years and we can only keep him 1 more year anyway. We need to draft a C.

Maybe we can turn Appleton into 1, but if so he is more likely a 3 than a 2. Same goes for Spacek and Harkins. If they develop into NHL C's it is more likely they are bottom 6 than top 6.

Right now it appears that Roslovic is our only hope for top 6 C and the jury is out on him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The trouble is that we don't know what they know. Kuli did get back for that last game so maybe his health is OK.

If Kuli is not healthy and we have other injuries it could get tough. Maybe we need to look at acquiring another depth D. But Myers value should be higher than it has been in years and we can only keep him 1 more year anyway. We need to draft a C.

Maybe we can turn Appleton into 1, but if so he is more likely a 3 than a 2. Same goes for Spacek and Harkins. If they develop into NHL C's it is more likely they are bottom 6 than top 6.

Right now it appears that Roslovic is our only hope for top 6 C and the jury is out on him.
I agree that the Jets' biggest gap in the organization is a really good young #2-3 C. I think Roslovic might be the answer there, but I'm not sure that the Jets see him as a C.

I've heard Maurice say that Spacek plays like a "pure centre", so he might have some potential, though I think a #2 C is stretching it for his potential. Appleton does a lot of things well, and has good hockey IQ, but again, I would doubt that he would ever be a #2-3 C.

I still wouldn't count out the possibility of Wheeler transitioning into a #2-3C. I wasn't enamoured with his play there, and I often wonder if he reads and reacts quickly enough in his own zone to play that role. But if he's playing with top-end wingers and doesn't face other team's top lines too much, it's an idea that might have some appeal.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Myers' cap hit will have negative cap implications for the Jets if they want to retain all of their RFAs on good contracts. I'd rather slot Poolman in on the 3rd pair than a 5.5m Myers.
I have to agree. I like Myers but he is an obvious draft day trade possibility. If the Jets can get a late 1st for Myers, I wouldn't mind the Jets drafting Jett Woo as a RHD to replace that depth lost by the trade.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree that the Jets' biggest gap in the organization is a really good young #2-3 C. I think Roslovic might be the answer there, but I'm not sure that the Jets see him as a C.

I've heard Maurice say that Spacek plays like a "pure centre", so he might have some potential, though I think a #2 C is stretching it for his potential. Appleton does a lot of things well, and has good hockey IQ, but again, I would doubt that he would ever be a #2-3 C.

I still wouldn't count out the possibility of Wheeler transitioning into a #2-3C. I wasn't enamoured with his play there, and I often wonder if he reads and reacts quickly enough in his own zone to play that role. But if he's playing with top-end wingers and doesn't face other team's top lines too much, it's an idea that might have some appeal.

The problem with Wheeeler at C is he will be making far too much cash to play him as a eavily sheltered C. He wasn't at all good last season as a C when sheltered, I highly doubt he is going to be able to magically transition to being a good center especially as he starts to get older.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
The problem with Wheeeler at C is he will be making far too much cash to play him as a eavily sheltered C. He wasn't at all good last season as a C when sheltered, I highly doubt he is going to be able to magically transition to being a good center especially as he starts to get older.
Agree. I'm not the biggest fan of Wheeler finding a permanent home at centre. Much too valuable on the wing. IMO.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018

Highly doubtful Harkins plays in the NHL at this point.

Reactions: Briscodog

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I haven't delved into the draft prospects yet, but somehow think the Jets are going to nab a couple of USHL / USDP forwards this draft, that will turn into solid prospects.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I haven't delved into the draft prospects yet, but somehow think the Jets are going to nab a couple of USHL / USDP forwards this draft, that will turn into solid prospects.
Any time you can grab solid prospects after the first round what's not to like?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I was really hoping for Jack Drury but the hype train is building. There's a few USHL kids I wouldn't mind in the 3rd+. Wonder if Jack McBain will drop now as others have risen. He had a bit of a disappointing season compared to expectation and seems to be dropping to the back half of the 2nd, but I think we could take a chance on him given his tool set. He will be a project for sure but if he hits his potential he could be a solid top 6 center with size. Has a decent two-way game right now, lots to work on but we can be patient.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I was really hoping for Jack Drury but the hype train is building. There's a few USHL kids I wouldn't mind in the 3rd+. Wonder if Jack McBain will drop now as others have risen. He had a bit of a disappointing season compared to expectation and seems to be dropping to the back half of the 2nd, but I think we could take a chance on him given his tool set. He will be a project for sure but if he hits his potential he could be a solid top 6 center with size. Has a decent two-way game right now, lots to work on but we can be patient.
Shhhh....

Some others... Curtis Hall, Nolan Walker, Jake Wise...

Whatever happens, I'll have some confidence in any US prospects the Jets select, because their US scouting has been terrific.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Shhhh....

Some others... Curtis Hall, Nolan Walker, Jake Wise...

Whatever happens, I'll have some confidence in any US prospects the Jets select, because their US scouting has been terrific.

Hall is a quick kid, good size, decent two-way game. Button had him in his top 31 at one point I think. Very inconsistent goal scorer. Seems like the type of kid that could maybe be a Tanev like player with size. Not sure if the skill is there to be much more.

Walker is an overager, he'll be 20 by next season. Could get drafted but I'm going to guess he'll be the type of kid to head to college and then if things go well he'll get offers when he decides to turn pro.

Not sure I'd want to use our 2nd rounder on Wise. He could hit his potential but there just seems to be something missing with him. I think he will be an NHLer. He has some skill and his skating is good but I just can't put my finger on what is missing with him but he just isn't putting it together lately. His shot is pretty bad too so he relies on passing the puck a lot when he is in scoring range and it is frustrating because he isn't a high vision player IMO.

My favourite USHL guy other than Drury is Alex Steeves, a Notre Dame commit, good skater, has some skill, makes passes and a good shot. I see a lot of potential there that reminds me a lot of Roslovic. Just a decent all around kid that can contribute all over the ice not quite as good as Jack at the same age but has potential. I wouldn't mind a stab at him in the 3rd+.

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Myers out on draft day. Enstrom out.
you have Morrow, Poolman, Chiarot and Niku. i don't mind those guys being rotating for your bottom 2.

Reactions: ps241

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Myers to the Leafs for their 1st and Carrick.

Perreault to Montreal for a pair of 2nd rounders. Believe Montreal has four of them.

Gives the Jets 3 selections before their own 2nd. Alleviates some cap space issues and restocks some of the cupboards.

Could land Drury with that 1st (25th) or possibly one of those 2nd rounders, depending on where they are.

Like Myers and Perreault, but just trying to keep one eye on the future with the cap crunch on the horizon.

To me there’s no better time to cash in on their value as both have proven injury prone and the opportunity to move them may not present itself in mid season for that reason

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Myers to the Leafs for their 1st and Carrick.

Perreault to Montreal for a pair of 2nd rounders. Believe Montreal has four of them.

Gives the Jets 3 selections before their own 2nd. Alleviates some cap space issues and restocks some of the cupboards.

Could land Drury with that 1st (25th) or possibly one of those 2nd rounders, depending on where they are.

Like Myers and Perreault, but just trying to keep one eye on the future with the cap crunch on the horizon.

To me there’s no better time to cash in on their value as both have proven injury prone and the opportunity to move them may not present itself in mid season for that reason

Couldn't agree more - we have to ship Myers and Perreault now.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
So Jets are rebuilding again.
Instead of going for their best chance to win the cup this coming year.

Depth is very important in todays NHL.
That is what made the Jets team good this year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Unfortunately there is this thing called a cap that is designed to prevent teams from hording good well paid depth.

Nobody is suggesting to rebuild, we just can't fit guys like Myers and Perrault under the cap over the next two seasons with all the other players who will be looking for raises. Myers has great value so it makes sense to get a good asset for him at the draft.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

It's not a "rebuild" and most of the league has this issue... and it's because of the cap. You can't afford to keep all the players you want, the Cap doesn't let you, and historically it's your younger stars that need to get the big pay raises. The only way to manage it to ship out older mid-level players or players that don't fit anymore..... the Myers , Perrault,... and hopefully get some picks for them.

Last edited:

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Make WCFs... Trade all the depth, seems legit

Math 301......

We must re sign this summer

Helly-buck
Armua
Lowry
Trouba
Morrissey

Those 5 players new contracts will pay them approx 15 mill morethan they were paid last year.

Getting rid of Enstrom and Mathais will only recoup half of the $ needed.

By trading Myers for a 1st and Perrault to Montreal for Chi 2nd and our 4th (wpg) back from the Morrow deal we get back in the game come draft day and free up 9.5 mill.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Math 301......

We must re sign this summer

Helly-buck
Armua
Lowry
Trouba
Morrissey

Those 5 players new contracts will pay them approx 15 mill morethan they were paid last year.

Getting rid of Enstrom and Mathais will only recoup half of the $ needed.

By trading Myers for a 1st and Perrault to Montreal for Chi 2nd and our 4th (wpg) back from the Morrow deal we get back in the game come draft day and free up 9.5 mill.
fully aware who needs to be re signed...dont think both moves need to be done. we have 25M in cap space. If we covet another C at 5M+ then yes I agree. What do you have for contract projections?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Would Justin Almeida by an option where we are slated to pick in the second? He is ranked in around that slot on some lists.

I recognize he is an overage but he scored 40 plus goals and almost 100 points. Not the biggest guy but he is apparently a tremendous skater.

He also has some pedigree having gone 5th in the WHL draft. For whatever reason he had a real slow first two years before really breaking out this one.

Any thoughts by anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad