2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I personally don't have Kotkaniemi clearly above Veleno or Hayton. Can someone explain why he gets so much more love here?
He has the perfect skillsets to succeed in the NHL. Great hockey sense, NHL caliber shot, Great size and strenght, Great puck protection. He also has decent speed and good hands. I would not mind getting him with our first pick. I have him higher than Veleno and Hayton.

That being said I think Kotkaniemi will be better as LW than center.

Last edited:

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I personally don't have Kotkaniemi clearly above Veleno or Hayton. Can someone explain why he gets so much more love here?
Kotkaniemi's a player with a wide arsenal of offensive weapons. He pretty much creates scoring chances many different ways but is first of all a superb playmaker. While also having a deft shot and ability to score in tight.

Skill, shot, size, IQ are all there. The only knock is his skating, which he'll have time to improve as he grows into his frame, but it's also not a weakness to a point where it hinders his effectiveness.

To put in perspective, he has identical numbers to Rantanen in his draft year while being a full 9 months younger than he was and better production than Aho in his DY.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei79

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
And yeah his skating is such a non-issue. He's not McDavid: okay, fine. He's still consistently able to create space for himself.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
I agree with everything everyone said but I would go as far as say that Veleno and Hayton have most of this things as well.

If we do it category by category:

Skating: Veleno by a large margin. Hayton probably edges out Kotkaniemi. Veleno it'll be a strength where as it is just fine at the NHL level for the other 2.

Shot: Kotkaniemi easily. Hayton has a good shot. Veleno's is pretty bad.

Passing: I would give the edge to Veleno over Kotkaniemi. Its a strength for both but Veleno shows a bit more patience and creativity in my viewings. Hayton is a good passer but not like the other 2.

Hands: Once again Veleno and Kotkaniemi on top. Hayton a tad behind.

Defensive play: Hayton wins it. Veleno second. Kotkaniemi a distant 3rd.

All 3 are smart players with good size.

I would say Kotkaniemi is the most complete offensive player, Hayton the best defensively and safe bet and Veleno kind of the middle ground. All 3 are in my top 15 and very close. I just don't get why Kotkaniemi is definitely the clear choice.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I agree with everything everyone said but I would go as far as say that Veleno and Hayton have most of this things as well.

If we do it category by category:

Skating: Veleno by a large margin. Hayton probably edges out Kotkaniemi. Veleno it'll be a strength where as it is just fine at the NHL level for the other 2.

Shot: Kotkaniemi easily. Hayton has a good shot. Veleno's is pretty bad.

Passing: I would give the edge to Veleno over Kotkaniemi. Its a strength for both but Veleno shows a bit more patience and creativity in my viewings. Hayton is a good passer but not like the other 2.

Hands: Once again Veleno and Kotkaniemi on top. Hayton a tad behind.

Defensive play: Hayton wins it. Veleno second. Kotkaniemi a distant 3rd.

All 3 are smart players with good size.

I would say Kotkaniemi is the most complete offensive player, Hayton the best defensively and safe bet and Veleno kind of the middle ground. All 3 are in my top 15 and very close. I just don't get why Kotkaniemi is definitely the clear choice.

Every single tools goes to Kotkaniemi, thats why he's ahead.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
For me he just projects better as a prospect. Talent-wise. While Veleno and Hayton will be good too but also are safe picks.

Last edited:

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
For me he just projects better as a prospect. Talent-wise. While Veleno and Hayton will be good too but also are safer picks.
This I can agree with. Higher potential. But maybe its as a winger. I think Veleno and Hayton projecting as centres and having a higher floor brings the gap between them closer.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Hayton is playing wing on a very stacked team. IMO playing him on Frost's wing is a sort of reward for good play and a chance to spread out their big guns. Similar to if Veleno would have been shifted to 1st line left wing when Saint John was stacked. Everything about his game screams centre to me. 3rd line centre or 2nd line at best. But a centre.

Kotkaniemi is capable of playing centre. But I think his game can translate to the wing and be as effective. It depends on the team that drafts him. It's not a knock on him as he can do them both.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hayton is playing wing on a very stacked team. IMO playing him on Frost's wing is a sort of reward for good play and a chance to spread out their big guns. Similar to if Veleno would have been shifted to 1st line left wing when Saint John was stacked. Everything about his game screams centre to me. 3rd line centre or 2nd line at best. But a centre.

Kotkaniemi is capable of playing centre. But I think his game can translate to the wing and be as effective. It depends on the team that drafts him. It's not a knock on him as he can do them both.

Regardless, why wouldn't Kotkaniemi be effective at C ?

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Kotkaniemi was Finland's 1C at the recent U18s. And aside from not taking draws, he tends to shift to the center role on his line with Assat.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Watched Shafigullin's 3 point night against Stalnye Lisy.

He had a tough first period (so did most of his team), but he took over the game in the second half. Man, did he look good in the third. Fast, relentless and his skill/instinct combo's high end.

If I had to make a top 5 of Russian forwards, it'd be:

1. Svechnikov
2. Kravtsov
3. Denisenko
3. Shafigullin
5. Khovanov

I have a tie, for now, at no. 3. Reason is Denisenko's MHL subpar play (outplayed by Kovalenko) is offset by how good he looks in best on best and his birthday.

Khovanov I still have at no.5, but I'm waiting to see what kind of progress he's made since the 5 nations at the next U18.

6th would be a tie between Kovalenko and Iskhakov, with a slight egde for Kovalenko due to how well rounded he is and the amount of scoring chances he creates every shift.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
Still prefer Wahlstrom.
I know it's a popular opinion on this board, but I don't see it.
Wahlstrom is probably a 1rst line winger but not a game changer (like Zadina or Schvevnikov).
I would go for a Dman after those 2 wingers. I would even think about going for a center before (unlike most of the posters in this thread, I think Veleno and Kotkaniemi have 1rst line potential).
I don't think it should be BPA, but BVA (Best Value available). I think that drafting for position is a bad choice, but position has to be part of the decision.
The order of value is well established : C, D, W and then G. It has to be taken into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad