2018 NHL Draft Prospects

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
There is a couple threads about the 2018 draft but to answer, the clear top 2 appears to be Dahlin then Svechnikov.

You have other players that could be top 10 like Veleno, Khovanov, Zadina, Woo, McIsaac, Thomas, Hughes, Merkley, Boqvist, Wilde, Tkachuk, Farabee, Kravtsov, MacDonald, Lundestrom... It's pretty early though but draft looks like it'll have a good first couple rounds.

GetThePuckOuttaHere*

Feb 23, 2017
There is a couple threads about the 2018 draft but to answer, the clear top 2 appears to be Dahlin then Svechnikov.

You have other players that could be top 10 like Veleno, Khovanov, Zadina, Woo, McIsaac, Thomas, Hughes, Merkley, Boqvist, Wilde, Tkachuk, Farabee, Kravtsov, MacDonald, Lundestrom... It's pretty early though but draft looks like it'll have a good first couple rounds.

Not really, many people and scouting services rank Svechnikov over Dahlin.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
Not really, many people and scouting services rank Svechnikov over Dahlin.
Why are you so obsessed over that?
The majority of people see Dahlin as the front runner at this point. Obviously there's going to be people who think different. But the majority i've seen and spoken to see him as the BPA. But then again, it's way to early to tell how each player will develop over the summer.

GetThePuckOuttaHere*

Feb 23, 2017
The majority of people see Dahlin as the front runner at this point. Obviously there's going to be people who think different. But the majority i've seen and spoken to see him as the BPA. But then again, it's way to early to tell how each player will develop over the summer.

I'm actually pretty partial to the entire debate. To simplify; I think it's way too early to be saying one person is over another, and would currently value Svechnikov higher than Dahlin from my (very) limited viewings.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
I'm actually pretty partial to the entire debate. To simplify; I think it's way too early to be saying one person is over another, and would currently value Svechnikov higher than Dahlin from my (very) limited viewings.
Why do you value Svechnikov higher, not saying your wrong. Just very curious.
What seperates the players for you, why?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why do you value Svechnikov higher, not saying your wrong. Just very curious.
What seperates the players for you, why?
Personally, I don't see a separation between either. Dahlin plays the more important position, but that position comes with higher risk. Svechnikov plays the less important position but is probably more of a sure thing to be an impact player. The other notable difference, rarely discussed, is that forwards on average are more likely to significantly outperform their ELC's. For example, Hedman may be the better player than Tavares, but early on Tavares probably gave more value-per-dollar spent which has to be acknowledged in the cap world. Same is probably true with Stamkos vs Doughty, but it's much closer.

If I somehow had the first overall pick with my team, I'd obviously take Dahlin due to need, but it is unlikely that happens. If you are Vegas or a team like the Canucks that currently lack elite scoring player (Boeser could change this outlook within a year), you have to seriously consider Svechnikov. He looks to be a top-tier wing prospect, along with the likes of Hall, Laine, Kane, and Marner.

There are very strong arguments for either at the top of the draft. If they consider along this path, it should be a very interesting debate. I don't think there is a consensus for Dahlin right now, it seems quite split.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
Personally, I don't see a separation between either. Dahlin plays the more important position, but that position comes with higher risk. Svechnikov plays the less important position but is probably more of a sure thing to be an impact player. The other notable difference, rarely discussed, is that forwards on average are more likely to significantly outperform their ELC's. For example, Hedman may be the better player than Tavares, but early on Tavares probably gave more value-per-dollar spent which has to be acknowledged in the cap world. Same is probably true with Stamkos vs Doughty, but it's much closer.

If I somehow had the first overall pick with my team, I'd obviously take Dahlin due to need, but it is unlikely that happens. If you are Vegas or a team like the Canucks that currently lack elite scoring player (Boeser could change this outlook within a year), you have to seriously consider Svechnikov. He looks to be a top-tier wing prospect, along with the likes of Hall, Laine, Kane, and Marner.

There are very strong arguments for either at the top of the draft. If they consider along this path, it should be a very interesting debate. I don't think there is a consensus for Dahlin right now, it seems quite split.
Thats absolutely fair, but i think Dahlin is a tad ahead. The guy is scoring a 0.42 PPG pace in the playoffs and is likely to miss the U18-WC because he will be playing an important role in the SHL finals.

Like i've said, i strongly believe Dahlin is on that McDavid tier. But i absolutely don't think you're wrong if anyone disagree on that. Svechnikov in his own right is a special player and gets underrated time after time. Think he's in or not far from Laines tier. But, there's obviously a lot of time left and as we've seen this year. Injuries is a possibility that can ruin a draft season.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

How did you determine this?

Fought

Nov 17, 2013
Varberg
Like i've said, i strongly believe Dahlin is on that McDavid tier.

Doesn't he need elite speed to be considered McDavid tier? He got everything else, vision, agility, size, defending etc. Dahlin isn't slow, but he isn't lightning fast either.

googeyman31

Jan 12, 2009
Haven't been able to see Svechnikov yet, so I can't really make a well-founded assessment as to whether he is a better prospect than Dahlin at the moment.

But I can tell you this. I've been following all drafts quite avidly for the past 15 years or so, and there has not been a single Swedish prospect comparable to Dahlin at his age in terms of both completeness and high-end skill set over this time period. The only one who even comes close is Hedman. But to see a 17 yrs old D-man be so outstanding in the Swedish play-offs is unprecedented in modern times.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Personally I am never a big fan of to much hype, espically when they havnt shown so much at senior level yet. Yes Dahlin is a big talent and he is probably the most intresting looking talent comming from sweden at this age, (yes A Larsson had better numbers, but he had alot of questionmarks), and he could some day be the best d-men in the world, it is not far fetch at all. But still, it is a long way there. Now he had a season where he had more everything to win and nothing to lose, next season it will be a huge pressure on him, how will he handle that?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
At this point it's between Svechnikov and Dahlin. The depth in this draft is crazy though, high end players will be available well into the 2nd.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
How did you determine this?
Only place i haven't seen him at #1 is in a few mocks at HFB. But obviously its way to early to determine this since 1 season can make or break a player.

Doesn't he need elite speed to be considered McDavid tier? He got everything else, vision, agility, size, defending etc. Dahlin isn't slow, but he isn't lightning fast either.
As you said, he's not slow at top edge speed but he isn't in that McDavid, Eichel, MacK tier either. I don't think his straight edge speed is a concern at all since it will improve as he gradually gains strength. Also, Dahlins game as we've seen doesn't depend on that much straight edge skating as McDavid, Eichel etc does. I think his smarts and stickhandling is just off the charts and compensates for that.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Smart teams won't draft need, they draft bpa. If the Canucks happen to get the 1st pick it's going to be dhalin. He's too good of a dman to pass up on.

maaran

Apr 17, 2017
Canada
Smart teams won't draft need, they draft bpa. If the Canucks happen to get the 1st pick it's going to be dhalin. He's too good of a dman to pass up on.

I'm not too sure about that, I think Svechnikov has to be the potential to be a lesser Ovi and even though Dahlin could one day become the best defensmen in the NHL, the canucks need offense. Hopefully the canucks get #2 so they get a good player either way.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
I'm not too sure about that, I think Svechnikov has to be the potential to be a lesser Ovi and even though Dahlin could one day become the best defensmen in the NHL, the canucks need offense. Hopefully the canucks get #2 so they get a good player either way.
And you don't think Dahlin provides offense?

NikF

Sep 24, 2006

I realize before this season we at Draftin Europe were probably the only ones having him high, but after the year and the exposure he had this season I'd be really surprised if it was indeed split among scouts right now.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think Tkachuk will raise a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if he started to challenge for a top spot too. Teams are desperate for that top Center, and Tkachuck has that potential.

I've seen a lot of both Sveshnikov and Dahlin, and with all due respect, I don't think anyone who watches a lot of hockey and have seen both of them a lot would have Sveahnikov ahead at this point. Some will always try to distinguish themselves and say whatever, but Sveshnikov looks like a very very good young center. But nothing special for a top 3-5 ranked player. Rasmus Dahlin -- at the age of 16 -- is probably the most impressive offensively talented D anyone have seen for basically 2-3 decades. The other day he became the youngest player for the men's Swedish national team in 57 years.

With that said, everyone knows that a ton can happen in the coming 14 months when it comes to 17 y/o hockey player. These kids are growing so much. Some kids may be finished growing when they are 16, others when they are 22-23.

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
I've seen a lot of both Sveshnikov and Dahlin, and with all due respect, I don't think anyone who watches a lot of hockey and have seen both of them a lot would have Sveahnikov ahead at this point. Some will always try to distinguish themselves and say whatever, but Sveshnikov looks like a very very good young center. But nothing special for a top 3-5 ranked player. Rasmus Dahlin -- at the age of 16 -- is probably the most impressive offensively talented D anyone have seen for basically 2-3 decades. The other day he became the youngest player for the men's Swedish national team in 57 years.

Svechnikov is a winger. And yes, he's absolutely special and deserves to be up there.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
I think Tkachuk will raise a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if he started to challenge for a top spot too. Teams are desperate for that top Center, and Tkachuck has that potential.

With that said, everyone knows that a ton can happen in the coming 14 months when it comes to 17 y/o hockey player. These kids are growing so much. Some kids may be finished growing when they are 16, others when they are 22-23.

Huh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad