GDT: 2018 NHL Draft Lottery

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
1) Defensemen are notoriously hard to project if they aren't slam dunk prospects.
2) Detroit has been notoriously bad at developing D-men. Any d-man that doesn't come with a polished game seem to be very likely to be fumbled by Detroit. Even highly thought of prospects that succeeded at every level before the NHL haven't seem to been able to make the jump.
3) Its not easy to develop good talent. If it was Edmonton should be a top team right now.

Right now Detroit has shown no ability to develop D-men. In the past they were dependent on using FA to supplement Lidstrom, and it worked well. This has left Detroit with poor scouting and development in that capacity. Until I see Detroit take a D prospect from juniors to top pairing, I am skeptical that they have the ability.

I think “development” is generally overstated.

I’ve said I think we overload the GR roster too much, but otherwise I don’t see much to suggest we are bad at developing players.

I think more likely we just haven’t drafted well. And just because we’ve been bad at it doesn’t mean you don’t pick them.

Reactions: jkutswings

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think “development” is generally overstated.

I’ve said I think we overload the GR roster too much, but otherwise I don’t see much to suggest we are bad at developing players.

I think more likely we just haven’t drafted well. And just because we’ve been bad at it doesn’t mean you don’t pick them.

Development isn't that overstated actually. A lot of defense is taught/learned, and can be improved. Obviously you have to build on good bedrock to get there, but the fact that Detroit has had some very well regarded prospects and almost none have made much of a mark on the NHL tells me that there is something going on with how the team is preparing the d-men for the NHL game.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Happy for Buffalo, and glad that Montreal didn't get 1st.

I'm not happy for Buffalo.

Learn how to build a g'd roster. With the picks Buffalo has had in recent memory, there is no reason they should be as bad as they are. **** them.

Buffalo has good talent on their roster. They've just squandered the **** out of it.

Reactions: Oddbob

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Development isn't that overstated actually. A lot of defense is taught/learned, and can be improved. Obviously you have to build on good bedrock to get there, but the fact that Detroit has had some very well regarded prospects and almost none have made much of a mark on the NHL tells me that there is something going on with how the team is preparing the d-men for the NHL game.

I disagree. Detroit’s “well regarded” prospects had clear flaws and didn’t make improvements like they needed to.

Is that on Detroit? I don’t know, that’s the risk with 2nd round picks and beyond.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Buffalo has been really terrible for a while, Dahlin seems like the kind of guy that could be the last piece of the puzzle for them and finally get that team off the ground.

Carolina getting #2 is pretty dumb. That team is way too good. They need to fix the lottery odds so that this stops happening. Svechnikov will be an awesome addition for them with their superb defense.

I hate Montreal and am happy they didn't get Dahlin. They traded Subban and Sergachev, they deserve to keep regretting those decisions.

6 is fine, we should be able to get a very good player there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Boqvist, but I'd be happy with any of the consensus top 10 guys.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'd be fine with Wahlstrom, Bouchard or Hughes. I might actually go with Wahlstrom at 6 and try to trade up to pick a D around 10th overall. Offer the Isles Mantha + the Vegas first rounder for one of their firsts.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Did he decommit? I haven't heard about that.
There's talk he could go to Michigan. Not sure how likely that is, I know Jack Hughes is a strong possibility to Michigan and they've both done well on a line together. Again, no idea what he is thinking but there's talk that Michigan is in the mix for Wahlstrom.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'd be fine with Wahlstrom, Bouchard or Hughes. I might actually go with Wahlstrom at 6 and try to trade up to pick a D around 10th overall. Offer the Isles Mantha + the Vegas first rounder for one of their firsts.

That's an awful idea. Just terrible. No way in hell Mantha just moves your pick from 32 at worst to 10 or 11.

Even so, I'd be much happier with

Bouchard/Hughes/etc.
keeping Mantha
Ryan Merkley (with that 32nd at latest pick)

than

Wahlstrom
A D at the very end of the list of the top ten prospects (Dobson, maybe in a longshot)

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

sorry but gross

pick one of boqvist or bouchard
then use our next 3 picks on 1 dman and 2 centres
then next year use our top 5 pick on a centre
then the year after we draft lafrenise(sp)

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Carolina picking second is absurd. Truly is.

Figured the lottery would screw us over.

I’m actually baffled and quite demoralized as a fan of this game. They in no way should have the second pick over Arizona, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa or Vancouver.

Might as make it so that any team can have equal or better odds for 1OA.

And now I truly believe we get no one of significance this draft. Honestly, none of the players outside of the top three have me excited. No different than picking a player at 20 or below. None of them will have an impact like we would want imho.

I’ll be smh at Carolina picking top three for a long time...

Reactions: Ulysses31

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
e

I’m actually baffled and quite demoralized as a fan of this game. They in no way should have the second pick over Arizona, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa or Vancouver.

And now I truly believe we get no one of significance this draft. Honestly, none of the players outside of the top three have me excited. No different than picking a player at 20 or below. None of them will have an impact like we would want imho.

If you were/are expecting top 3 picks... news flash... worst team in hockey has decent odds to pick #4 each year.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
just watched more shift by shift footage of Hughes.....man what a skater. On puck moving alone, he's precisely what this team needs. Really leaning towards Boqvist or him over the bigger defensemen at #6

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It’s ridiculous that Carolina is picking ahead of us.
Blame the Sabres. It was public actions of intentional tanking that led to setting up the lottery this way.

Don't get me wrong; I'd be in favor of removing the odds altogether, and the worst team automatically gets the first pick. But the NHL didn't like the way that Buffalo tried to seal the deal for McDavid, so they instituted the current system to hedge against such behavior.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I'm not happy for Buffalo.

Learn how to build a g'd roster. With the picks Buffalo has had in recent memory, there is no reason they should be as bad as they are. **** them.

Buffalo has good talent on their roster. They've just squandered the **** out of it.

Allow me to clarify: happy for Buffalo fans, who deserve something to get excited about after their organisation has continually f***ed up.

Reactions: jkutswings

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
it isn't ridiculous that the canes are getting 2nd overall. they aren't a playoff team, so they aren't thaaat great. they attempted to make the playoffs rather than tank. they failed, and they haven't been punished for attempting to remain competitive and win games. that is the whole point of the new draft lottery, and i think that it is only a good thing. sure, disagree with that if you want, but i'm glad to see the relatively weak teams who try given a chance over similar teams who tank.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Carolina getting #2 is pretty dumb. That team is way too good. They need to fix the lottery odds so that this stops happening. Svechnikov will be an awesome addition for them with their superb defense.
Carolina is way too good? They haven’t made the playoffs in 9 years! The lottery is supposed to help out teams like that, the ones that are stuck in constant mediocrity or struggles and never quite get competitive. I’m actually happy for them. Necas+Svech/Zadina should give that team a major shot in the arm.

Lottery did not screw us over, we dropped only one spot. AZ and Sens got the worst deal.

But I find it funny how the higher we draft the less people value high picks.
Draft at #20? ”Should have stayed at #16 where the real impact players were!”
Draft at #15? ”Need to be in the top 10 to get talent!”
Draft at #9? ”Need to take this guy ranked top 5!”
Draft at #6? ”Only the top 3 would make a difference”

And I’m pretty sure if we got picks 2 or 3 there’d be negativity towards us adding a high-caliber forward instead of a D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad