GDT: 2018 NHL Draft Lottery

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Boqvist will go to Ottawa at 4. Arizona will take Bouchard at 5.

Worse case scenario is we take Tkachuk, I will absolutely lose my mind. I think all this means we end up with Hughes.
It could play out many different ways. I don't see why those are necessarily the picks for those teams. Tkachuk would be pretty awesome for both teams as a massive injection to their forward group right away. I could also see the Wings leaning towards someone like Dobson if Boqvist/Bouchard are off the board.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
#6 is awesome, should get us a very good defenseman.

Cheers everyone! :cheers:

On what basis? Detroit hasn't developed a top pairing D-man since 2000 and that's if you consider Kronwall a top pairing guy (I consider him a great #3 or an eh #2). Detroit has zero track record since they drafted Nick Lidstrom in 1989 (almost 30 years ago) of taking a guy that wasn't a unanimous elite defender and developing him into a top guy. So until Detroit is able to actually draft, develop and get seasons out of a guy who is actually a no doubt about #1 d-man, I will be skeptical.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Besides Larkin I can't think of any players from Michigan that Holland drafted during his time as General Manager. You're making stuff up.

Not making anything up, and it's not just drafting.

Abdelkader
Glendening
Booth as a FA
Larkin
DeKeyser as FA
Witkowski as a FA

I remember him talking about in an interview last season but I can't seem to find the quote. He emphasized trying to land more Michigan players. If I can find it I'll post it.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Well, the weekend dream has come to an end. No Dahlin but probably a quality prospect. At least the Lions had a good draft. Off to eat Colombian food and swap Panini World Cup stickers.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
It could play out many different ways. I don't see why those are necessarily the picks for those teams. Tkachuk would be pretty awesome for both teams as a massive injection to their forward group right away. I could also see the Wings leaning towards someone like Dobson if Boqvist/Bouchard are off the board.

I'd be furious if we ended up with Dobson. Hughes I'm ok with.

At this point:

-Boqvist or Bouchard I'm happy
-Hughes I can live with it
-Tkachuk, Dobson I'm pissed
-Havent put much thought in us taking anyone else. I guess Wahlstrom is a possibility, but I doubt it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
mckenzie has him at 9
button at 12

why three for you?

I think he has elite abilities. His skating and edge work are among the best I have seen in a prospect. He plays with his head up and is tremendous at closing time and space. He does still have some development to do defensively but he has a high hockey IQ all over the ice in my opinion. He has a special ability in terms of the ability to assert control over the flow of a game when he is really on. That is the trait that fascinates me the most, he can be the best player on the ice for entire games which to me is very special.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Not making anything up, and it's not just drafting.

Abdelkader
Glendening
Booth as a FA
Larkin
DeKeyser as FA
Witkowski as a FA

I remember him talking about in an interview last season but I can't seem to find the quote. He emphasized trying to land more Michigan players. If I can find it I'll post it.

You're making up stuff. Glendening was a free agent.

The fact is he's only drafted two players born in Michigan during his time as general manger. Everyone else was a free agent. He didn't sign DeKeyser because he was from Michigan. It's hilarious you even bring up David Booth.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
As long as the Wings don't reach too far for a player I'll be cool with whoever we draft. I wouldn't agree with drafting a winger, but if he's the BPA, so be it.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Trying to look on the bright side, but Dahlin in Montreal and Svechnikov with Eichel looks pretty dim for our success.

Maybe if Carolina wins we can get Slavin or something.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I could see Buffalo taking Tkachuck at 3 if they end up there. He's the perfect blend of banger and skill to compliment Casey and Jack.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
i think the michigan connection does exist just like the french connection exists in montreal

You're factually wrong. Holland signing a depth free agent that just so happens to be born in Michigan doesn't mean he has a preference towards Michigan players.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I suppose they can count on Hughes or Dobson being available, but they still have a good chance for Bouchard or Boqvist.

I thought Montreal would be the most likely to reach for a defender if any team did, but only if they picked 4th. I don't think they'll do anything crazy like that picking in the top 3.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
On what basis? Detroit hasn't developed a top pairing D-man since 2000 and that's if you consider Kronwall a top pairing guy (I consider him a great #3 or an eh #2). Detroit has zero track record since they drafted Nick Lidstrom in 1989 (almost 30 years ago) of taking a guy that wasn't a unanimous elite defender and developing him into a top guy. So until Detroit is able to actually draft, develop and get seasons out of a guy who is actually a no doubt about #1 d-man, I will be skeptical.
We can be skeptical until we're blue in the face but fact is we've barely taken a d-man in the top 20 in decades. IF we take a D at #6 it will instantly become the best D prospect we've had since... Lidstrom? By no means a guarantee for an elite defender but at least a very good chance for at least a legit top 4D which is something we've struggled badly to find. Every piece matters.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Trying to look on the bright side, but Dahlin in Montreal and Svechnikov with Eichel looks pretty dim for our success.

We can dream. Slavin is never going to be available, he has an insane deal. Reminds me of Josi's ridiculously contract. He was outplaying that cap hit the second the ink was dry.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
You're making up stuff. Glendening was a free agent.

The fact is he's only drafted two players born in Michigan during his time as general manger. Everyone else was a free agent. He didn't sign DeKeyser because he was from Michigan. It's hilarious you even bring up David Booth.

I don't know why you're taking so much offense to this. This is a recent development, not something he's focused on his entire career in Detroit. I think he is putting more stock into Michigan born players because playing for Detroit can be a draw for guys. Playing for the Wings isn't exactly something players are going out of their way for, but some guys want the opportunity to play for their hometown team. So it's easier to attract UFAs and showing other Michigan born players that you're emphasizing drafting them can be a bigger draw as well.

I'm not saying this as a criticism to Holland, just saying drafting Hughes because he plays at Michigan could be a real factor.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
What sickens me the most is that Dahlin is pretty much guarenteed to be playing for a divisonal rival at this point. I can live with Buffalo winning it if it means they can finally stop sucking at hockey.. Montreal can suck for all eternity for all i care atleast.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What sickens me the most is that Dahlin is pretty much guarenteed to be playing for a divisonal rival at this point. I can live with Buffalo winning it if it means they can finally stop sucking at hockey.. Montreal can suck for all eternity for all i care atleast.

It would be a little fun when all the Canadian teams that constantly whine about stealing their talent are run by foreign players... I might like that a lot.:laugh:

Only Edmonton would have a true Canadian star as their frontline player.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

meh, not worried about buffalo if they get svechnikov. that franchise has deep rooted issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad