NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
If we could use Hoffman or Ceci or 22OA to somehow move up in this draft, I really hope Dorion pulls the trigger. We could really grab an impact forward if we can snag something from 10-14. Veleno, Farabee, Hayton, Denisenko, Kupari. And maybe even one of Wahlstrom or Kotkaniemi if we're really lucky.

Reactions: Senator Blutarsky

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
If we could use Hoffman or Ceci or 22OA to somehow move up in this draft, I really hope Dorion pulls the trigger. We could really grab an impact forward if we can snag something from 10-14. Veleno, Farabee, Hayton, Denisenko, Kupari. And maybe even one of Wahlstrom or Kotkaniemi if we're really lucky.
I agree, I think having two top 10-12 picks is key for the org right now if we're going the 3-5 year route.

I'd easily do 22 + Ceci for a top 10, gives us flexibility with who to take at 4.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I agree, I think having two top 10-12 picks is key for the org right now if we're going the 3-5 year route.

I'd easily do 22 + Ceci for a top 10, gives us flexibility with who to take at 4.

Exactly. And I think Edmonton or the Islanders might bite. Maybe even try to grab DeHaan's rights out of it somehow.

Only issue is the hole at RD. We would need to re-sign Wideman and pray he can keep up. Or pray Jaros breaks out quick (could be a fantastic partner for chabot). I like the idea. And really starting to like Veleno the more I watch him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Exactly. And I think Edmonton or the Islanders might bite. Maybe even try to grab DeHaan's rights out of it somehow.

Only issue is the hole at RD. We would need to re-sign Wideman and pray he can keep up. Or pray Jaros breaks out quick (could be a fantastic partner for chabot). I like the idea. And really starting to like Veleno the more I watch him.
if we dont trade him we will be hoping ceci breaks out quick as well..

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Right now, our D is pretty thin. Trading Ceci looks good if he's getting a decent return and we can't sign him at a good deal for where he eventually slots in, but it also means we need to add yet another top 4 dman.

For arguments sake, lets say we sign Karlsson, and Ceci, then draft one of the Dmen in this draft;

Chabot-Karlsson
Hughes-Ceci
Wolanin-Jaros

That looks pretty solid to me with Ceci being slotted as a 3/4 (hopefully a 4 once Hughes is ready) , but you take out Ceci, and it gets a little thin. I guess we could try and draft two of the D from the draft, get Dobson or Bouchard and Hughes for example which would give us a potentially very nice D group, but then we're still looking for that impact top 6 forward. I guess we've got more forward prospects right now, so that might be the way to go.

Reactions: Newgates59

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Right now, our D is pretty thin. Trading Ceci looks good if he's getting a decent return and we can't sign him at a good deal for where he eventually slots in, but it also means we need to add yet another top 4 dman.

For arguments sake, lets say we sign Karlsson, and Ceci, then draft one of the Dmen in this draft;

Chabot-Karlsson
Hughes-Ceci
Wolanin-Jaros

That looks pretty solid to me with Ceci being slotted as a 3/4 (hopefully a 4 once Hughes is ready) , but you take out Ceci, and it gets a little thin. I guess we could try and draft two of the D from the draft, get Dobson or Bouchard and Hughes for example which would give us a potentially very nice D group, but then we're still looking for that impact top 6 forward. I guess we've got more forward prospects right now, so that might be the way to go.

That would be a solid young core led by the best overall dman in the world.

I think we should try to go the Nashville way.. draft as much quality dman as possible. Dman hold a lot of value. When you got them in your hand, you can trade them for a lot. Imagine we are in a position to trade a player like Seth Jones for a #1 Center or Winger. You can't do that if you don't have something like 4 or 5 other very high quality dman in your lineup.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That would be a solid young core led by the best overall dman in the world.

I think we should try to go the Nashville way.. draft as much quality dman as possible. Dman hold a lot of value. When you got them in your hand, you can trade them for a lot. Imagine we are in a position to trade a player like Seth Jones for a #1 Center or Winger. You can't do that if you don't have something like 4 or 5 other very high quality dman in your lineup.

Couldn't you also trade a #1 center or winger for a player like Seth Jones? Lets not pretend Jones landed Matthews or someone of that ilk.

Idk, to me you draft the BPA, and don't target a position. Maybe after picking at 4th, we make the Ceci trade because we landed a guy we think will replace him, but I think we can get a quality piece at 22; we got Chabot at 18 after all, and guys like Boeser, Konecny, Pasternak, Fabbri, Shea Theodore, Mantha are all guys drafted in that neck of the woods. I'd rather hold onto 22 and try and add picks instead of upgrade them.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
I can see Ottawa leaning toward a d-man. Even with Karlsson, the team has glaring weaknesses on the back end. If the team selected Hughes, I would just hope he would be paired with a more reliable partner than Ceci, maybe Jaros ends up being that guy.

My hope would the team moves off Ceci, especially if he is asking north of 4 million.

The team could be compelled, if Karlsson is moved, to draft Boucher or Dobson to have a potentially ready made player to insert in the lineup at RD. Doron has expressed the hope that the player selected could make the team out of training camp. Good LD are usually more abundant so they may ask for one, as part of a package, in return for Karlsson.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011

Hence why I posted this on the trade board:

Hoffman + Ceci

for

10th overall + Yamamoto + Russell (for salary purposes, maybe a 10% retain if Pierre Dorion asks nicely lol)

Sens do it to avoid signing Ceci to a long term deal and thus using some of that money to resign Karlsson, Stone and Duchene. Makes us worst now but younger and hopefully better in 3-4 years.

At 4th: Zadina, Wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi or Tkachuk.
At 10th: Dobson, Hughes, Boqvist or Bouchard... basically whoever falls to that pick.

Our prospect pool notables then would be: White, Brown, Yamamoto, Chlapik, Batherson, Formenton, Jaros, Wolanin, Gustavsson + 2 of the above names.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hence why I posted this on the trade board:

Hoffman + Ceci

for

10th overall + Yamamoto + Russell (for salary purposes, maybe a 10% retain if Pierre Dorion asks nicely lol)

Sens do it to avoid signing Ceci to a long term deal and thus using some of that money to resign Karlsson, Stone and Duchene. We then draft a forward at 4th and a D at 10th. Makes us worst now but younger and hopefully better in 3-4 years.

Idk... I'd love to get that 10th OA pick, though you might find all the top D are gone by 10. What does Hoffman on his own land? Could he be enough for 10 OA?

I think we sign Ceci to a one year deal, retain his rights as a RFA next year by doing so, and give him a chance to earn a better contract. I don't think we end up going long term now with him. It seems to me we'd be trading low on him right now, and could easily recoup some of his prestige by just not playing him as a shutdown defender. He might never become what we hoped for, but we should have either traded him earlier, or wait for him to bounce back a bit, because playing in a shutdown role on a bad team is a sure fire way to tank a players value in trades.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Idk... I'd love to get that 10th OA pick, though you might find all the top D are gone by 10. What does Hoffman on his own land? Could he be enough for 10 OA?

I think we sign Ceci to a one year deal, retain his rights as a RFA next year by doing so, and give him a chance to earn a better contract. I don't think we end up going long term now with him. It seems to me we'd be trading low on him right now, and could easily recoup some of his prestige by just not playing him as a shutdown defender. He might never become what we hoped for, but we should have either traded him earlier, or wait for him to bounce back a bit, because playing in a shutdown role on a bad team is a sure fire way to tank a players value in trades.

I don't think Hoffman or Ceci seperately are enough to get the 10th overall back. Grouping them together is to 1) get the 10th AND Yamamoto but also 2) shedding Hoffman's salary + not worrying about Ceci's extension (mistake waiting to happen). Both of those contracts gone free up some room to sign Karlsson, Duchene and Stone even with Russell coming back in the deal. I mean I would try and do other deals for sure but I believe Chiarelli would bite on my offer.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think if we do move Hoffman, we could get a higher 1st back. Maybe Hoffman, Ceci and #22 to Edmonton for #10 and a 3rd round pick?

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I do like the idea. I think Chia might bite on that. Hoff+Ceci+2019 3rd/4th for 10+Yamamoto+Russell (they won't retain). Chia knows this is his last straw and clearly is willing to trade that 10th pick for immediate help. The only piece they lose off their roster is Russell, while adding Ceci and Hoffman.

Only thing is they want an offensive defenseman.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think if we do move Hoffman, we could get a higher 1st back. Maybe Hoffman, Ceci and #22 to Edmonton for #10 and a 3rd round pick?

I think you may be overvaluing what a typical 10 OA pick becomes...

Ellerby, Frolik, Paajarvi, McIlrath, Hodgson, Brodin, Koekoek, Nischushkin, Ritchie, that's 9 of the last 12 10th OA picks, I didn't include the most recent 3 so maybe they turn things around. Obviously, looking only at the one spot is an imperfect method for evaluating the value of a pick, but the point is 10 OA is far from being a sure thing to be as good as either of Hoffman or Ceci, little lone better than both and worth throwing in a 22nd on top of it.

Reactions: Cosmix and harrisb

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I do like the idea. I think Chia might bite on that. Hoff+Ceci+2019 3rd/4th for 10+Yamamoto+Russell (they won't retain). Chia knows this is his last straw and clearly is willing to trade that 10th pick for immediate help. The only piece they lose off their roster is Russell, while adding Ceci and Hoffman.

Only thing is they want an offensive defenseman.
that steep incredibly steep/ russel is trash. yammaoto question mark tentrh question mark.

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
Sounds like Bouchard will be the pick, wouldn't be my first choice but makes a ton of sense.

Reactions: DJB

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I seem to change daily, but right now, if Zadina doesn't get passed over, I'm hoping for one of Kotkniemi, Bouchard, or Hughes. After that I'd be ok with Tkachuk or Dobson. I'd be a little disappointed by, but certainly would warm up to, Boqvist and Wahlstrom.

Man this is a year I'd love to have 2 top 10 picks though, I feel like there's a real possibility a team could get a player in their top 5 at 10th OA as to me there really doesn't seem to be any semblance of a consensus from 4th onward.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I love Tkachuk's game. The draft is such a crap shoot any team from 4-10 could look really stupid for passing over him.
I'd obviously still take Svech and Zadina over him, but honestly would be more disappointed if we took a flyer on someone with more potential, but then busts.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
I seem to change daily, but right now, if Zadina doesn't get passed over, I'm hoping for one of Kotkniemi, Bouchard, or Hughes. After that I'd be ok with Tkachuk or Dobson. I'd be a little disappointed by, but certainly would warm up to, Boqvist and Wahlstrom.

Man this is a year I'd love to have 2 top 10 picks though, I feel like there's a real possibility a team could get a player in their top 5 at 10th OA as to me there really doesn't seem to be any semblance of a consensus from 4th onward.
It's been stated before but all reports indicate that Edmonton is very willing to move their pick. They also happen to be in great need of wingers to play with McDavid or Draisaitl. Hoffman was rumored to be on the block at times this year (I think I heard the Blues were on him?) so I think there is a fit there for both teams. Hoffman for the 10th overall + prospect makes a ton of sense for both teams in my opinion. Hard to say how likely it is to happen but I'm sure both GMs have had talks by now.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Dorion is dumb if he picks Tkachuk mostly on the basis of having someone who can contribute right away.

Tkachuk would put up, what, 25 points as an 18 year old in the NHL?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Sounds like Bouchard will be the pick, wouldn't be my first choice but makes a ton of sense.

Thanks for the info man.

Have Bouchard 4th on my list. Prefer Dobson because because of his higher floor, but I think Bouchard probably has higher upside.

I think he'd be a great choice at 4.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Hearing and reading lots of Tkachuk hype recently.

NHL central scouting has him above Zadina and even Svechnikov, Button has him top 3 as well I believe.

It’s becoming more and more likely that the Habs or Canes take him, and I will ejaculate everywhere if that happens.
or maybe tkatchuk is actually really good

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad