NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Think of all the money Melnyk could save if he fired all the scouts, then bought a subscription to Red Line Report and just drafted off of that?
swell he is doing like one step up from that. You hear other teams have player development people working with their prospects while they are still in junior or presumably college or overseas. Who do we have Dorion and Lee... Dorion doesn't have the cycles and Lee well he's there I guess. Who do you want coaching up your D prospects ex NHLers like Rob Ramage or Randy Lee.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
swell he is doing like one step up from that. You hear other teams have playor development people working with their prospects while they are still in junior or presumably college or overseas. Who do we have Dorion and Lee... Dorion doesn't have the cycles and Lee well he's there I guess. Who do you want coaching up your D prospects ex NHLers like Rob Ramage or Randy Lee.
It'd be kinda nice to bring Luke Richardson back. Would love to draft guys like Boqvist or Hughes and have the experience of 1000+ NHL games as a shutdown guy to coach those guys up.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Crouse would have been great at 5.

They work for 1/10 of the salary of an NHL scout for a reason, and it's not because they don't want the money.

I think the consensus of scouting services is at least as good as, and possibly better than, our scouting staff’s picks.

Did this for my own curiosity:

2016 consensus (pick 11) would have had us taking Chychrun (9) over Brown (11). Next consensus - Brown.
2015 consensus (pick 18) would have had us taking Merkley (14) over Chabot (18). Next consensus - Svechnikov (15)
2015 consensus (pick 21) would have had us taking Konecny (16) over White (17). Next consensus - White (17).
2013 consensus (pick 17) would have had us taking Shinkaruk (12) over Lazar (16). Next consensus - Adam Erne (15).
2012 consensus (pick 15) would have had us taking Teravainen (9) over Ceci (11). Next consensus - Ceci (11).

I can't find it for 2009, but Cowen was definitely the guy. I can't find it for 2008, either, but Karlsson was definitely not the guy.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Did this for my own curiosity:

2016 consensus (pick 11) would have had us taking Chychrun (9) over Brown (11). Next consensus - Brown.
2015 consensus (pick 18) would have had us taking Merkley (14) over Chabot (18). Next consensus - Svechnikov (15)
2015 consensus (pick 21) would have had us taking Konecny (16) over White (17). Next consensus - White (17).
2013 consensus (pick 17) would have had us taking Shinkaruk (12) over Lazar (16). Next consensus - Adam Erne (15).
2012 consensus (pick 15) would have had us taking Teravainen (9) over Ceci (11). Next consensus - Ceci (11).

I can't find it for 2009, but Cowen was definitely the guy. I can't find it for 2008, either, but Karlsson was definitely not the guy.
You'd probably do fine in the first round using this technique, its the later rounds where the scouts make their money. Its not too difficult for any scouting agency or even a fan to make a top 30 list and do well. Its once you get 80+ deep. Taking overage guys like Hoffman and Batherson or guys who don't get a lot of ice time like Karlsson, Stone or Formenton is harder and a job for a sharper eye.

Edmonton would probably have won a cup by now if they had our scouting staff or even an average one to get them guys in later rounds. They haven't hit on anything there in years.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
2 goals 2 assist for Dobson in a 8-6 win.

2nd goal in an empty.

I can really see the Sens taking him at 4th.

He's not the flashiest of picks, but he's got a big frame, and lacks any notable weaknesses. Exactly the kind of Dman this team needs more of. I still think we should grab Zadina if we have the chance, but Dobson is my guy otherwise.

Reactions: Newgates59

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
He's not the flashiest of picks, but he's got a big frame, and lacks any notable weaknesses. Exactly the kind of Dman this team needs more of. I still think we should grab Zadina if we have the chance, but Dobson is my guy otherwise.

Not flashy but extremely effective.

Of course, my choice is if Dahlin, Svech and Zadina are out. Difficult to pass Zadina i think.

But i like what Dobson is doing right now. Dominating in big game. He is young and already a very effective defensive guy with a good offensive touch.

He could be perfect behind a Karlsson taking the "shutdown" role that Ceci cannot do. Of course, that's if he develop into the player he is projected to be. And if Karlsson isn't here, him and Chabot would probably be wow together

Reactions: Senscore

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
If all things go right, a few years down the line we could conceivably have a team where one of Dobson, Chabot, and Karlsson is always on the ice. All workhorses.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Not flashy but extremely effective.

Of course, my choice is if Dahlin, Svech and Zadina are out. Difficult to pass Zadina i think.

But i like what Dobson is doing right now. Dominating in big game. He is young and already a very effective defensive guy with a good offensive touch.

He could be perfect behind a Karlsson taking the "shutdown" role that Ceci cannot do. Of course, that's if he develop into the player he is projected to be. And if Karlsson isn't here, him and Chabot would probably be wow together
Oh man, Chabot-Dobson could be incredible. That could be like a Keith-Seabrook paring with Dobson being even better than Seabrook. They'd probably be team Canada's 2nd pair for years if they had good chemistry.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
Starting to really fall for Dobson from the small sample I've watched and the reports I have read. If Zadina and Svechnikov are gone I would be more open to trying to trade back and snag Dobson and Kotkaniemi. Likely bigger deal than just 4OA, but I'd hope try and still keep #22.

Reactions: topshelf15

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think Kotkaniemi could be the steal of the draft!! Would consider him at #4:sarcasm:
Otherwise one of Hughes/Tkachuk/Dobson

Any chanche Veleno falls to #22?

What's with the :sarcasm:? Does this mean you would not consider him at 4? I like all 4 of those players.
Veleno: A small chance but I think he'll be gone before then

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Philips would be the better choice No??
Pretty sure he's being sarcastic. Luke Richardson was a 7OA pick in 86... I wonder where he'd go in this draft. And coaching is different than playing. You have to play within your limitations ,, coaching sometimes the guys that really have to work at their game to be successful make better coaches. You could have an excellent ability to read the play, but not have the physical capability to execute. At this point I would take either one of these guys coaching up any prospects before they graduate vs someone like Lee.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Pretty sure he's being sarcastic. Luke Richardson was a 7OA pick in 86... I wonder where he'd go in this draft. And coaching is different than playing. You have to play within your limitations ,, coaching sometimes the guys that really have to work at their game to be successful make better coaches. You could have an excellent ability to read the play, but not have the physical capability to execute. At this point I would take either one of these guys coaching up any prospects before they graduate vs someone like Lee.
Oh ok,but I honestly think Philly could be a good add,just to work on technic and just give the kids a few pointers...Philly was a great defender in the D zone,especially along the boards....

I used to love how he would shield the puck absorb a hit,then use the split second that the attacking player would be off balance after delivering the hit...To move the puck ....Just one of many clever small tricks ,that Philly can give to the kids

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
I read a few pages of The Hockey News' prospect report and they had Thakchuk at #3.

#3!!!

Also Hockey Prospects - DobberProspects has some great comparisons up for Hughes vs Bodqvist, Walhstrom vs Thakchuk, and I think they did one with Bouchard, Smith and Dobson.

#4 is a very exciting spot! So many options...

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
I read a few pages of The Hockey News' prospect report and they had Thakchuk at #3.

#3!!!

Also Hockey Prospects - DobberProspects has some great comparisons up for Hughes vs Bodqvist, Walhstrom vs Thakchuk, and I think they did one with Bouchard, Smith and Dobson.

#4 is a very exciting spot! So many options...

Agreed. I've seen a few publications write that the 4 slot is the easiest place to pick as the Sens get to take whomever is left-over from the big 4 (Dahlin, Svech, Zadina, Tkachuk) but honestly it's totally opposite and Dorion has alluded to it a few times. After the top 3, there is a legit 6-7 even 8 guys that need serious consideration at 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad