2018 Draft D-Men

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
Of all the D-men drafted in this past draft how would you have them ranked? I know it’s very early but based off of what I have seen from each of them my top 10 would be
1. Hughes
2.Dobson
3.Wilde
4.Smith
5.Boqvist
6.Miller
7.Merkley
8.McIssac
9.Bouchard
10.Beaudin
HM: Bernard-Docker, Lundkvist, Alexeyev, Samuelson
-Also I am excluding Dahlin because he is obviously #1

Reactions: PWJunior

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Of all the D-men drafted in this past draft how would you have them ranked? I know it’s very early but based off of what I have seen from each of them my top 10 would be
1. Hughes
2.Dobson
3.Wilde
4.Smith
5.Boqvist
6.Miller
7.Merkley
8.McIssac
9.Bouchard
10.Beaudin
Bouchard has 49 points in 40 games (1.23 PPG) , while Boqvist has 56 points in 50 games (1.12 PPG).

Why is there such a big drop off between Bouchard and Boqvist? Bouchard is way too low on your list.

Reactions: Meeqs

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
1. Hughes
2.Bouchard/Dobson/Boqvist
3.Dobson/Bouchard/Boqvist
4.Boqvist/Bouchard/Dobson
5. Smith
6. Wilde
7. Miller
8. McIssac
9. Beaudin
10. Merkley

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
Bouchard has 49 points in 40 games (1.23 PPG) , while Boqvist has 56 points in 50 games (1.12 PPG).

Why is there such a big drop off between Bouchard and Boqvist? Bouchard is way too low on your list.
It’s not all about PPG obviously. Bouchard is 10 months older than Boqvist.
-Bouchard is at .3 goals a game (12 in 40 games), and Boqvist is at .38 goals a game (19 in 50 games)
-I have watched multiple London games and Boqvist has a better toolbox than Bouchard. Both are very smart players, Boqvist has a huge advantage in skating, Bouchard has a slight advantage in his shot. The D for both of them seems to be a bit shaky but Boqvist can stay with his man better and has a better gap.
-Overall Bouchard’s skating is a real issue for me with the modern NHL, he will still be a solid D but IMO Boqvist’s upside is way higher

Reactions: Brock Olli Juolevi

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
It’s not all about PPG obviously. Bouchard is 10 months older than Boqvist.
-Bouchard is at .3 goals a game (12 in 40 games), and Boqvist is at .38 goals a game (19 in 50 games)
-I have watched multiple London games and Boqvist has a better toolbox than Bouchard. Both are very smart players, Boqvist has a huge advantage in skating, Bouchard has a slight advantage in his shot. The D for both of them seems to be a bit shaky but Boqvist can stay with his man better and has a better gap.
-Overall Bouchard’s skating is a real issue for me with the modern NHL, he will still be a solid D but IMO Boqvist’s upside is way higher
It still doesn't make any sense having him ranked at #9

d rake

Jan 7, 2019
Winnipeg, MB
I'm a bit biased because I'm a hawks fan, but keep in mind that Boqvist is way younger than alot of these guys. Hughes and Bouchard are both around 10 months older than him. Just something I like to keep in mind when evaluating guys with birthdays right before the cutoff date.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
1. Hughes
2.Dobson
3.Wilde
4.Smith
5.Boqvist
6.Miller
7.Merkley
8.McIssac
9.Bouchard
10.Beaudin
Dahlin

Dobson
Smith
Hughes

Bouchard
Boqvist
McIsaac

Alexeyev
Sandin
Miller
Beaudin

Wilde
Merkley
JBD

Samuelsson
Lundqvist

Reactions: Mitts888

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Hughes

Dobson
Smith
Miller
Boqvist

Alexeyev
Bouchard

Wilde
Romanov
Sandin
Lundkvist
Merkley

Reactions: deflowd

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
1. Hughes
2.Bouchard/Dobson/Boqvist
3.Dobson/Bouchard/Boqvist
4.Boqvist/Bouchard/Dobson
5. Smith
6. Wilde
7. Miller
8. McIssac
9. Beaudin
10. Merkley

I like this list but truth be told I had to click reply so I wouldn't have to look at that avatar for a millisecond longer.

Good grief.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Sandin has the highest PPG of any 18 year old D man, in the AHL of all time. Nearly double that of Hampus Lindholm for example. I'm not making the argument that he should be ranked above anyone, but he should be on the list. He's having a very good year.

Who are exactly the top 10 players on that list on how did they fare going forward.

My bet is that the list is extremely small and less impressive than your claim of it's importance.

That being said I would be Sandin on my list before Merkely.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Sandin has the highest PPG of any 18 year old D man, in the AHL of all time. Nearly double that of Hampus Lindholm for example. I'm not making the argument that he should be ranked above anyone, but he should be on the list. He's having a very good year.

Best all time wow

I had to look it up after reading this and saw he has a total of 12 points...real impressive lol

That and how many 18 yrs old were allowed to play in the AHL...not a very big list

Not saying he is no good but just another overhyped Leafs prospect

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Best all time wow

I had to look it up after reading this and saw he has a total of 12 points...real impressive lol

That and how many 18 yrs old were allowed to play in the AHL...not a very big list

Not saying he is no good but just another overhyped Leafs prospect
"over hyped" lol you saying that is just about as ridiculous as the other poster saying he is having the best 18 year old season in the AHL like there is a sample. Don't fight dumb with dumb.

Reactions: Dermott The Frog

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Who are exactly the top 10 players on that list on how did they fare going forward.

My bet is that the list is extremely small and less impressive than your claim of it's importance.

That being said I would be Sandin on my list before Merkely.
The list is

Liljegren
Kylington
Voynov
H. Lindholm

And now Sandin literally last year Liljegren was the next big thing because he broke the record while also not playing many games.

I think its great that Sandin has found success at an early age but seeing as only 4 other players have ever played a full season in the AHL at 18 years old and the record holder was on the same team a year earlier that stat should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The list is

Liljegren
Kylington
Voynov
H. Lindholm

And now Sandin literally last year Liljegren was the next big thing because he broke the record while also not playing many games.

I think its great that Sandin has found success at an early age but seeing as only 4 other players have ever played a full season in the AHL at 18 years old and the record holder was on the same team a year earlier that stat should be taken with a huge grain of salt.
I mean there are legitimate reasons that his season has been noteworthy and extremely impressive. Does a bit of a disservice to frame it in that way though. He is just having a great season regardless of how he stacks up with any other players previously.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016

"over hyped" lol you saying that is just about as ridiculous as the other poster saying he is having the best 18 year old season in the AHL like there is a sample. Don't fight dumb with dumb.

That’s not even true, there are two other 18 year old Dman that had a higher ppg in the ahl out of the less than a dozen.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
1. Dahlin
3. Boqvist
4. Wilde
5. Dobson
6. Smith
7. Samuelsson
8. Bouchard
9. Miller