Prospect Info: [ 2018 - 71st] Jordan Harris (NCAA - Northeastern University)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plekatorz

Jun 6, 2019
Thank again for the share, I liked everything I saw while writing this text. I really like Harris game in my viewing. While Struble tends to be a risk in his decision making, Harris is calm out there and seems to do right play almost everytime. His ceiling may be lower than Norlinder but his floor his higher. Can’t wait to see him next year

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
I saw a lot of both players, they do have some similar traits, both from the Northeastern prep league, great skating/mobility, undersized, lack of strength, not good shots not physical. ... Plus I have to wonder if Bennett wouldn't have faired better if he was turning pro next summer like Harris likely will, while getting to play under Bouchard then back in '14-'15 when he turned pro under a different coach. ...

I don't know why, it reminds me of a Rotten Tomatoes movie classic, "Sly Captain and the World of Tomorrow".

(I know, I know, I did it before but I just could'nt resist)

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Thank again for the share, I liked everything I saw while writing this text. I really like Harris game in my viewing. While Struble tends to be a risk in his decision making, Harris is calm out there and seems to do right play almost everytime. His ceiling may be lower than Norlinder but his floor his higher. Can’t wait to see him next year

nice work on the vids, i saw a lot of the games but still something to watch in the summer and it helps when you highlight as you can always miss things when watching a game on tv.

I can't wait to hear what he reports to at NU, hoping to see him over 190 to 195 range. Really hope there is a season as he could have a big year if he can continue to progress with his offensive game. I still think he's underrated by many because of his size but while I comp him to Mete a lot, I think he's going to be better defensively as I think he's smarter and has more poise.

Reactions: Plekatorz

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He's a sure shot NHLer to me.. its up to him as to whether his offense and defense can be good for second pairing or bottom pairing.

Plekatorz

Jun 6, 2019
He's a sure shot NHLer to me.. its up to him as to whether his offense and defense can be good for second pairing or bottom pairing.
Sure he is. I really like the way he uses his stick while defending. With 10+pounds it will make a lot of difference for him to compete against larger players.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Sure he is. I really like the way he uses his stick while defending. With 10+pounds it will make a lot of difference for him to compete against larger players.
He was another one of our combine freaks so we know he's a good natural athlete, getting stronger really shoudn't be an issue in his case.

Reactions: jaffy27

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I don't remember his combine results. He was a stand out? The way Struble seemed to have been last year?
''Was tied for second in pull-ups (14), third in fatigue index (15.6) during the Wingate Test, eighth in the vertical jump (22.78 inches) at the 2018 NHL Combine''

Not quite Struble level but he tested very well, I remember Timmins going out of his way to mention it in his post draft scrum. Same with Gorniak, he was another solid combine guy. Struble is in a class of his own though, he was top 3 in pretty much everything.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I certainly think he'll easily play in the NHL as his defensive game, skating, mobility, poise are all elite or close to it. I felt his defensive game wasn't as strong this year vs last year but I don't know if that was due to having Primeau back there vs Pantano this year, as Primeau was great and Pantano while very solid wasn't at Primeau's level. Or it could be him putting more effort into improving his offensive game, as I would assume that's something the Habs wanted him to work on and he clearly did that since anytime a blueliner can double their ppg over the previous season is a good sign. Was looking forward to seeing how that played out next season since NU will once again have a new goalie in nets.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I certainly think he'll easily play in the NHL as his defensive game, skating, mobility, poise are all elite or close to it. I felt his defensive game wasn't as strong this year vs last year but I don't know if that was due to having Primeau back there vs Pantano this year, as Primeau was great and Pantano while very solid wasn't at Primeau's level. Or it could be him putting more effort into improving his offensive game, as I would assume that's something the Habs wanted him to work on and he clearly did that since anytime a blueliner can double their ppg over the previous season is a good sign. Was looking forward to seeing how that played out next season since NU will once again have a new goalie in nets.
his offensive potential is lacking imo

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Struble is raw and he is one to watch cause he is a very big and strong boy that skates well. If he puts it all together, we have a gem on our hands. Struble has a long way to learn how to be reliable in his own end. But hey, it was his age 18 NCAA season where he took a big step from high school hockey

Harris is known to some of our fan base but is flying under the radar to most. I agree on the base/ceiling projection. I think he has good hockey IQ which will help him get to the NHL faster IMO.

Norlinder is another that needs to learn how to be reliable in his own end. Offensive skills and skating are not in question with him at all.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He's probably a good candidate to sign a pro contract and play in Laval if the NCAA cancels the hockey season. Probably a bit rushed, but what other choice would the Habs have?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's probably a good candidate to sign a pro contract and play in Laval if the NCAA cancels the hockey season. Probably a bit rushed, but what other choice would the Habs have?

He's just turned 20. Rushed in terms of wanting him to play another NCAA year but not rushed if he was a CHL prospect

Reactions: Habssince89

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Degree is his main target. I assume there'd be online courses. So in his case it shouldn't be a problem to play hockey for whatever team (Laval Rocket, Northeastern Huskies, Val d'Or Foreurs, Youngstown Phantoms).

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Color of Hockey: All-minority team offers chance for bonding: Jordan Harris
The NHL and Pure Hockey, the largest hockey retailer in the USA , are sponsors of the NextGen tournament team. The team was formed by NextGen AAA Foundation, a nonprofit organization the provides mentoring, education and hockey programs to underprivileged youth and underserved communities. Provided more than $1 million to help Black and brown student-athletes at some of the nation's leading preparatory schools, colleges and travel hockey programs throughout North America.

NextGen's tournament roster includes Jordan Harris, a Northeastern University defenseman who was selected by the Montreal Canadiens in the third round (No. 71) of the 2018 NHL Draft; Northeastern.

“It's important to make connections with kids that maybe have similar upbringing or similar experiences because there aren't really that many Black players in hockey. You're seeing more and more these days. I feel it's important to kind of have that sense of community and try to show that there are kids who are successful in hockey.”

upload_2020-8-12_11-31-28.png

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

No one holds Harris' rights, might be too old to play in the CHL anyway.. so maybe a pro contract for Harris?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
About as average as it gets. I get people want to be excited for him, but I just don’t see him offering much of anything at the NHL level.

It's all about how much does he continue to progress or not. He made big strides in his offensive game but can that continue or has it peaked?

He has elite skating, mobility and poise for sure. He has high IQ, can move the puck.

I will say I think he easily plays in the NHL, but he's still in the early stages of his development so it's all about how much he can continue to progress. I've been a long time NCAA fan, watch a lot of it every year and I can't think of too many times I ever saw a just turned 18 year old defensemen come into a top 10 or so program and be a top pairing D that plays so well in his own end and has zero panic to his game.

That said it did help having one of the best NCAA 18 year old goalies i have ever seen as well so it could be that I over rate his D due to how good Primeau was, as he clearly wasn't as good this season but that could have been due to him working more on his offensive game where he clearly did since he doubled his ppg at a age when many NCAAers are trying to find their way as Freshman. He was without a doubt one of the best U-20 defensemen in the NCAA this year.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's all about how much does he continue to progress or not. He made big strides in his offensive game but can that continue or has it peaked?

He has elite skating, mobility and poise for sure. He has high IQ, can move the puck.

I will say I think he easily plays in the NHL, but he's still in the early stages of his development so it's all about how much he can continue to progress. I've been a long time NCAA fan, watch a lot of it every year and I can't think of too many times I ever saw a just turned 18 year old defensemen come into a top 10 or so program and be a top pairing D that plays so well in his own end and has zero panic to his game.

That said it did help having one of the best NCAA 18 year old goalies i have ever seen as well so it could be that I over rate his D due to how good Primeau was, as he clearly wasn't as good this season but that could have been due to him working more on his offensive game where he clearly did since he doubled his ppg at a age when many NCAAers are trying to find their way as Freshman. He was without a doubt one of the best U-20 defensemen in the NCAA this year.

What's your take on Struble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad