Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I don't envy BM's job this season, he's got way too many forwards to deal with and someone or two have got to move. though it is his fault for extending guys like eaves and cogs (though i do think this is just an off season for him and playing with Kes is hurting him). My guess is we move Silf at the TDL no matter where we are in the standings and end up waiving someone like Gibbons, Street or Eaves to the AHL.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I don't envy BM's job this season, he's got way too many forwards to deal with and someone or two have got to move. though it is his fault for extending guys like eaves and cogs (though i do think this is just an off season for him and playing with Kes is hurting him). My guess is we move Silf at the TDL no matter where we are in the standings and end up waiving someone like Gibbons, Street or Eaves to the AHL.

I could see both Cogs and Silf being traded (and would probably be in favor of that) for a combination of a roster player and futures. Sprong can't be sent down (not waiver eligible) which is part of the reason Pittsburgh traded him. Losing Silf would hurt in the short run, but the ducks can't afford to lose him for nothing, can't resign him, and have lots of forwards to replace him with (albeit with a likely drop off).

The ducks biggest long term need is a 1/2 center. Those are hard to find, but that should be the goal. I agree Brayden Schenn is a good fit on the ice, but he's a UFA after 2019-20 and the ducks would have a hard time resigning him then.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I'm perfectly fine losing Silfverberg for "nothing" rather than lose the use of him after the deadline for a pittance.

I guess if someone wants to knock your door down with an offer, sure, but he's a bottom-6 winger on a good team, how much are you really gonna get for a rental on that?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'm perfectly fine losing Silfverberg for "nothing" rather than lose the use of him after the deadline for a pittance.

I guess if someone wants to knock your door down with an offer, sure, but he's a bottom-6 winger on a good team, how much are you really gonna get for a rental on that?
Id much rather have a second 1st vs winning an extra playoff game or two

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

Why? We are not going anywhere. Losing him for nothing is just dumb.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
For me moving Silf does a number of things. 1. It gets us extra assets. 2. It signals our departure from the Shutdown line of the last 3 years for good. 3. Makes room for younger players on the roster. 4. Opens up nearly 4 mill in cap space.
I also disagree that Silf is a 3rd liner on a good team. Silf is Ranked 116 in points over the last 3 years(including this season). That's for all 3 forward positions. If you assume the top 93 are first liners then 94-186 are second liners roughly. So roughly Silf is the 18th most productive 2nd liner while being a great 2 way player.

Reactions: Trojans86

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I was assuming more like a conditional 3rd/4th but even the fans of other teams on the main board aren’t blinking at a first, so I’m probably underestimating him
He’d get a late first. You look at the previous deadlines and far worse players have returned a 1st round pick

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I was assuming more like a conditional 3rd/4th but even the fans of other teams on the main board aren’t blinking at a first, so I’m probably underestimating him
giphy.gif

Reactions: Trojans86

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Contenders would love a player like Silf - a guy who can play all 3 zones and steps it up in the playoffs. He'll easily get a 1st.

Even then - say for argument's sake he could return a 3rd, surely you trade him anyway? Anaheim has no intentions of re-signing Silf (imo), so surely you take the pick instead of keeping a guy who isn't putting Anaheim over the top this season.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Id much rather have a second 1st vs winning an extra playoff game or two
I agree with you in a vacuum, but I'd be wary of what kind of effect that has on the players on the team. It's like when the Blues traded Stastny last year when they were in the middle of the playoff hunt. The players were very unhappy with the GM because they thought they still had a chance. Now, I have no clue if that's had any long-term effects on the trust between the players and management, but it's something I'd evaluate before making a Silf deal during the season.
I will reiterate again that I do not think Silf puts us over the top or anything, and I'd love to get a 1st for him, just that it may have unintended consequences.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Contenders would love a player like Silf - a guy who can play all 3 zones and steps it up in the playoffs. He'll easily get a 1st.

Even then - say for argument's sake he could return a 3rd, surely you trade him anyway? Anaheim has no intentions of re-signing Silf (imo), so surely you take the pick instead of keeping a guy who isn't putting Anaheim over the top this season.

I think this kind of min-maxing is oversimplified.

Pros to keeping:
A small chance he contributes to a playoff run, which brings with it revenue and playoff experience for the young players. And a very small chance to go all the way.
You don’t send a negative message to your team that says you don’t believe in them and don’t care about them.

I wouldn’t give all that up for scraps. But for a first rounder? Sure

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Silfverbergs long lost relative: Ivan Drago aka Dolph Lundgren:
NINTCHDBPICT0004401796191.jpg
670112-547703.png
So that would make Cogliano 'Rocky' the man who is durable like Iron.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
I wonder what would look like
Rakell-Getzlaf-Aberg
Ritchie-Henrique-Kase
Silfverberg-Lundestrom-Sprong/Perry
Cogliano-Kesler-Rowney/Sherwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events