2018-19 Roster Talk: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Riley Nash has a good name, but he's 29 and has only had one good NHL season (his last one). Other than this year's 41 point effort, he never had more than 25 points in a single season, and at his age it seems more likely his 41 point season is an outlier rather than something he'll improve upon.

He also has 0 goals and 3 total points in 15 playoff games the last two seasons. Let another team overpay for him, IMO. Scott Laughton is basically a younger Riley Nash, and I'm no Laughton fan.

Signing veteran 3rd/4th liners as UFAs is a losing strategy in my book. I might consider Antoine Roussel, but that's about it.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Riley Nash has a good name, but he's 29 and has only had one good NHL season (his last one). Other than this year's 41 point effort, he never had more than 25 points in a single season, and at his age it seems more likely his 41 point season is an outlier rather than something he'll improve upon.

He also has 0 goals and 3 total points in 15 playoff games the last two seasons. Let another team overpay for him, IMO. Scott Laughton is basically a younger Riley Nash, and I'm no Laughton fan.

Signing veteran 3rd/4th liners as UFAs is a losing strategy in my book. I might consider Antoine Roussel, but that's about it.
Roussel would be awesome.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If they could land Roussel and either Rubstov or Frost or Vorobyov takes that 3C spot I would be psyched. Assuming no other big splashes, the team could look something like this:

Neck-Coots-G
Voracek-Patrick-Simmer
Raffl-Rookie-Roussel
Leier-Laughton-Weise

That is a lineup I would be very excited about. That top six could be lethal and if the rookie plays well and Weise bounces back (which I don't think is out of the question, there's no reason he can't be a workable 4th liner) the bottom six could be no joke too. Throw JT in the into the mix and DAYUM!

JT-Coots-G
Neck-Patrick-Vora
Raffl-Rookie-Simmer
Leier-Laughton-Roussel
Weise

In that scenario you could trade Simmer maybe to a team like Edmonton for some futures and maybe someone like Cagguila or Kassian to play on the third line, or even see what it would take to get Strome?

JT-Coots-G
Neck-Patrick-Vora
Raffl-Rookie-Cagguila/Kassian/Strome
Leier-Laughton-Roussel
Weise

Reactions: hatcher

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I think going Couturier - Patrick - Rookie as the top 3 down the middle is a risk I don't want to take.

I like Patrick's potential and think he will be a very good 2C, but I'm not enamored with the idea of banking on it happening this season in only his 2nd year. Maybe it will, but it's a big assumption. And 2C is a hugely important position for any team that wants to win in the playoffs.

We also don't know if Couturier will be able to replicate his offensive output, and Giroux is probably unlikely to have another 90-100 point season.

I think they better add a center on whom they can rely to produce offensively.

Reactions: The Madrigal

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
If they could land Roussel and either Rubstov or Frost or Vorobyov takes that 3C spot I would be psyched. Assuming no other big splashes, the team could look something like this:

Neck-Coots-G
Voracek-Patrick-Simmer
Raffl-Rookie-Roussel
Leier-Laughton-Weise

That is a lineup I would be very excited about. That top six could be lethal and if the rookie plays well and Weise bounces back (which I don't think is out of the question, there's no reason he can't be a workable 4th liner) the bottom six could be no joke too. Throw JT in the into the mix and DAYUM!

JT-Coots-G
Neck-Patrick-Vora
Raffl-Rookie-Simmer
Leier-Laughton-Roussel
Weise

In that scenario you could trade Simmer maybe to a team like Edmonton for some futures and maybe someone like Cagguila or Kassian to play on the third line, or even see what it would take to get Strome?

JT-Coots-G
Neck-Patrick-Vora
Raffl-Rookie-Cagguila/Kassian/Strome
Leier-Laughton-Roussel
Weise

No lindblom?

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
If they are willing to use G as a C when Couts/Patrick get injured then I’m okay rolling with Frost as 3C. But is that even a option in Hak/Hexy plan

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ryan played a lot with Skinner and Williams though, and they're pretty aight 5v5 players. And he's very much an offense first player without good defense, so I'm not sure how that would fly for this team. On top of his short track record entering his age 32 season, he might not be my favorite option. He looks good statistically on paper, but parsing his individual ability away from the Canes isn't the easiest thing.

But on the "Is He Better Than Filppula?" Scale™ he gets a 10/10, which is the lowest possible rating one can be awarded!

The attractive thing about Ryan is that you might be able to get him for something like 2 years, $6-7 million. Whereas Bozak might be looking for 4 years, $16-18 million, what with his longer track record and all.

With how close guys like Vorobyev and Frost are, i'd much rather have Ryan for 2 years than Bozak for 4.

IIRC, Carolina fans were lamenting the fact that Ryan was underused last season too.

Reactions: Stizzle

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I think going Couturier - Patrick - Rookie as the top 3 down the middle is a risk I don't want to take.

I like Patrick's potential and think he will be a very good 2C, but I'm not enamored with the idea of banking on it happening this season in only his 2nd year. Maybe it will, but it's a big assumption. And 2C is a hugely important position for any team that wants to win in the playoffs.

We also don't know if Couturier will be able to replicate his offensive output, and Giroux is probably unlikely to have another 90-100 point season.

I think they better add a center on whom they can rely to produce offensively.
You are exactly correct. Vorobyov as the 3rd line center is just a god awful idea. I think if Hextall makes any big additions this summer it will be at center and he will certainly add to the position.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
With how close guys like Vorobyev and Frost are, i'd much rather have Ryan for 2 years than Bozak for 4.

So you are advocating getting inferior players just because of term? Outrageous! Every signing mustbe the best possible player regardless of cost, term, or their interest in coming here! Burn the heretic!

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Please, tell us all again what a great signing Derek friggin Ryan would be. Small, not physical, not a standout defensively, and a limited track record of offensive production at the NHL level. Wow, we should totally run out to get him.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
You are exactly correct. Vorobyov as the 3rd line center is just a god awful idea. I think if Hextall makes any big additions this summer it will be at center and he will certainly add to the position.
Agreed. Knowing how Hextall operates, I find it very unlikely he enters next season -- a season where he said it's time to push and certainly has the goal of advancing in the playoffs -- with inexperienced 2nd and 3rd line centers whom he "hopes" will make big steps forward. I think it's a lock he adds an offensively capable center. The problem is that there isn't much out there. Tavares, Stastny, and Bozak. And I'm not thrilled with Stastny and Bozak's ages. Seems like they are in high danger of pulling a Filppula. I guess Thornton is also a longshot to be available, with San Jose re-signing Kane to that big deal. If they can't get Tavares or Thornton isn't available, you very well could see a trade.

As for Derek Ryan, I'm not sure he's that much better than Jordan Weal. Ryan had one decent season on a non-playoff team this year, but he's not a guy I'd feel comfortable relying on down the middle.

Reactions: The Madrigal

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Please, tell us all again what a great signing Derek friggin Ryan would be. Small, not physical, not a standout defensively, and a limited track record of offensive production at the NHL level. Wow, we should totally run out to get him.

I never said it would be a great signing and that we should run out and get him. He wouldn't be my first choice to fill the hole at 3C. I just prefer him over Filppula (because he is awful), Bozak (because of the term he probably gets) and a few others like Plekanec for example.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Both soft undersized centers who put up big numbers in the AHL, limited NHL production, and didnt get their NHL opportunity until they were almost 30. Comparison fits and you would be wrong as per usual.

No, it really doesn't fit. The stats don't lie. Good try though!

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
No, it really doesn't fit. The stats don't lie. Good try though!
You know what, you are a self righteous piece of work but unlike most here you arent stupid. Therefore I know you realize that simply stating that Derek Ryan had 38 pts when he was 31 compared to Marty Murrays career being wrapped up at the same time doesnt tell anything close to the whole story. Either way, I will stick with the several simalarities I brought up versus you cherry picking one thing and puffing your chest out over it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You know what, you are a self righteous piece of work but unlike most here you arent stupid. Therefore I know you realize that simply stating that Derek Ryan had 38 pts when he was 31 compared to Marty Murrays career being wrapped up at the same time doesnt tell anything close to the whole story. Either way, I will stick with the several simalarities I brought up versus you cherry picking one thing and puffing your chest out over it.

I'll meet you in the middle and say that while I think Ryan is a better hockey player, Murray at 26-27 years old isn't a terrible comparison to 30-31 year old Derek Ryan. The issue with comparing them deeper is that there aren't any advanced statistics available for Murray's tenure here, and we know that Ryan grades out pretty well there.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I'll meet you in the middle and say that while I think Ryan is a better hockey player, Murray at 26-27 years old isn't a terrible comparison to 30-31 year old Derek Ryan. The issue with comparing them deeper is that there aren't any advanced statistics available for Murray's tenure here, and we know that Ryan grades out pretty well there.
Thats perfectly fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad