League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
Bobrovsky is literally giving up tens of millions of dollars with his play this season. Orlov will need to cheer his buddy up.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
If Columbus doesn’t make the playoffs no GM will ever go “all-in” again. On some levels it would kinda suck if they miss out.

Although, it would be a grab-your-popcorn epic fail for the ages.

Reactions: Corby78

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Kinda feel bad for Columbus. Just by looking at the names, you can tell they can be a pretty good team. Just too little time to build chemistry and a mess in net is what drags them down at this point.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I applauded Jarmo for taking a chance but I was against the trades for a few reason. First, I don't think Columbus is all that good right now. They have Torts players playing Torts hockey and they get smoked by fast teams. Adding Duchene, Dzingel, and McQuaid doesn't change that. Second, when was the last time a big name made any difference for his new team at the TDL? It takes time for guys to get their affairs in order and their game back which is why I prefer these acquisitions during the offseason. Third, it puts a HUGE amount of pressure on the entire organization to make noise. The Blooj are no longer considered the pesky upstart underdogs... they now have to be considered contenders and for a team having never won so much as even one playoff series it has to feel like the weight of the world was put on that locker room's shoulders. Fourth, I don't see how you go all-in when two of your best players are pretty much playing out the string until they can leave this summer. That locker has to be such an uncomfortable place right now.

It was a massive gamble that likely wasn't to pan out and it looks like it won't. There's still time to turn it around but they need to turn it around quickly and their schedule is brutal. If I was a CBJ fan, I'd have preferred to trade Panarin and Bob for assets, continue to build through guys like Jones, Werenski, PLD, Atkinson, etc, look at using some of those assets to retool this summer, and reopen the window in a year or two. Now it just looks like they are pretty f***ed.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I was watching the highlights of that Columbus/Winnipeg game and Bob maybe let in one or two bad ones and Columbus had over 40 shots. The Columbus D was god awful and gave up tons of odd man rushes and two of Wheeler’s goals were screened deflections.

That team is going nowhere fast and the overall team defense is what’s going to kill them. Instead of adding a good skater on D like Jensen they added slow McQuaid. Yikes

Reactions: RandyHolt

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I think CBJ going all-in was the right move at the time... Panarin and Bobrovsky are as good as gone so they would be likely headed for a rebuild anyway after this season. So they had two options: either sell them off and go scorched earth or go all-in for one last shot. And I imagine it's a lot harder to sell the scorched earth method to a fanbase whose team has never won a series before.

It's gonna suck having a terrible team with no draft picks, though.

Reactions: Hivemind

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think CBJ going all-in was the right move at the time... Panarin and Bobrovsky are as good as gone so they would be likely headed for a rebuild anyway after this season. So they had two options: either sell them off and go scorched earth or go all-in for one last shot. And I imagine it's a lot harder to sell the scorched earth method to a fanbase whose team has never won a series before.

It's gonna suck having a terrible team with no draft picks, though.

This is why it was the wrong move. They could have leveraged Bob and Panarin for more assets. But instead, they broke their team and will have less than they would have. In fact, they'll have less than if they'd stood pat and let those guys walk for nothing at the end of the year anyhow. Terrible asset management.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
[QUOTE="AlexBrovechkin8]If I was a CBJ fan, I'd have preferred to trade Panarin and Bob for assets, continue to build through guys like Jones, Werenski, PLD, Atkinson, etc, look at using some of those assets to retool this summer, and reopen the window in a year or two. Now it just looks like they are pretty ****ed.[/QUOTE]

CBJ fans have never experienced winning a playoff series. Heck, they only recently got their first playoff game win ever. They’ve known nothing but slow building towards a future for the better part of two decades. This is their opportunity. This is their moment. It’s not Cup or Bust for CBJ, it’s relevancy or bust. I don’t think many want another prolonged rebuild. They want to take the chance they finally have before Bob and Breadman walk. The window is now.

Reactions: twabby

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Also for as much as we like the Capitals and think they have a shot at repeating, the Metro is an extremely weak division and a little run of decent fortune could get the Jackets all the way to the ECF which would be huge for their franchise. They were maybe a goalpost or two away from winning their first round series last year and not much as changed between them and the Stanley Cup champions.

If they were in the Atlantic division then maybe it wouldn't make as much sense to go for it, but IMO the Metro is wide open.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
It might be relevancy or bust. Thats so true. They put all their chips to the middle, not just for the Stanley Cup, but their franchise as well.

I laugh at each loss, but if Columbus fails to make the playoffs and loses all their free agents, I could see it as the beginning of the end of the Blue Jackets franchise. Maybe not next year or a few years from now. But people would point back in time to that TDL moment.

Be interesting to watch

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Also for as much as we like the Capitals and think they have a shot at repeating, the Metro is an extremely weak division and a little run of decent fortune could get the Jackets all the way to the ECF which would be huge for their franchise. They were maybe a goalpost or two away from winning their first round series last year and not much as changed between them and the Stanley Cup champions.

If they were in the Atlantic division then maybe it wouldn't make as much sense to go for it, but IMO the Metro is wide open.

Remember how the Caps were a psychologically broken team. Choke after choke. Flameout after flameout? CBJ is living that just to win a series. The pressure of this all in move is huge. Its more likely that they crack than excel

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
[QUOTE="AlexBrovechkin8]If I was a CBJ fan, I'd have preferred to trade Panarin and Bob for assets, continue to build through guys like Jones, Werenski, PLD, Atkinson, etc, look at using some of those assets to retool this summer, and reopen the window in a year or two. Now it just looks like they are pretty ****ed.

Agreed. We are not in their shoes to give a fair assessment on the situation. I would have traded Bob and would not have acquired McQuaid but other than that, would have probably done the same. At the end of the day, they still have PLD, Werenski, Jones, Jenner, Anderson, Murray, Atkinson and I've heard Dzingel's family lives somewhere in Ohio, he already expressed an interest to stay. Then you look at Duchene and I think his future depends on will they make it into the postseason or not. If yes, they need at least put up a good fight in the first round to make him feel that he's in different atmosphere than he was in the past, that the winning is the main priority there. He's a type of family guy, I don't think he has some bright lights or warm weather as priorities right now. Its bucks and playoff potential of the team what will make a difference. They will have enough space to offer him a really big contract.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Remember how the Caps were a psychologically broken team. Choke after choke. Flameout after flameout? CBJ is living that just to win a series. The pressure of this all in move is huge. Its more likely that they crack than excel
It's also a coaching issue. Who here thinks Torts is the guy to help his team overcome their mental and emotional baggage? It's a match made in hell.

We can argue about what Barry did X-and-O-wise, but he definitely was key in fixing the cracks after the 2017 collapse and getting the Caps back to being a team for the eventual Cup run.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Imagine giving up your entire future to make a playoff run and completely ignoring the reason why you have not advanced in the playoffs every year... why the Jackets kept Bob and didn't make significant moves to find a replacement is beyond me.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Also to help them get over a psychological hump they went out and loaded up on guys from the Senators, a team that even with management issues made no attempts to play beyond their ability. Duchene is a good player, but nothing about him screams locker room leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad