Line Combos: 2018/19 Line Combinations

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't believe you are being genuine.

It's all been layed out for ya.

Gaunce and Leipsic were not part of the prospect pool and are 24. Goldobin will be 23 this fall.. These players have had 3-4 years to break through and are still trying. I posted a couple rosters one with your concerns on the team minus Gaunce for good reason and another with the way i see it. all these were hypotheticals without injuries.

Injuries have seen us miss 3 roster players plus full time for the last 2 seasons and you say that "banking on injuries is poor planning"????. This site has had numerous posters rip Benning for his inability to have depth at his disposal and YOU say that is poor planning now.....how convenient?

I'm honestly surprised you are concerned with the potential that we have some depth and may have to cut the weakest links off a poor hockey team. Not only that what is weird is you saying we added 3 players without removing anything.......do H.Sedin D.Sedin J.Jokinen and Nic Dowd not count?

Your first assumption is that the team will correctly identify and cut the weakest links off the roster. Your next assumption is that those weak links will be young prospects instead of 4th liners. This is what your argument is built upon.

It's poor planning to overload the roster with static contracts. Depth can be had via call ups. What Benning did here is bring in bottom end fodder that cannot be easily moved. And so, he's caught between having to waive pieces with more potential, or trading waiving/veteran contracts. That's somehow good planning? He's boxed himself in.

There was nothing preventing him from signing Czarnik, Shore, Peca etc... players on the cusp. Ones that if they were sent down, it wouldn't be a disaster parking of an onerous contract. Instead, he locked the lowest value positions on the team so that he will be forced to send down better potential assets. Do you understand?

You have yet to post a roster with the youngest players still on the team. Post a full roster with Goldobin, Leipsic, Gaunce, Granlund, Gaudette all making it. What happens then?

It's very simple: If your automatic response to creating a roster with young players is to trade/waive veterans on poor contracts, then you've admitted that the roster is needlessly bloated.

Reactions: Catbug

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Based on changes and what could to happen before the season starts to soon after:

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Pettersson Gaudette Virtanen
Lipesic Beagles Erikkson
Goldy Sutter Roussell
Gaunce Schaller

Gagner traded for wasabe flavoured seaweed
Granlund traded for a 6th round pick
Clamato Electrical sent to Utica

Reactions: jonnygf40

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Based on changes and what could to happen before the season starts to soon after:

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Lipesic Beagles Erikkson
Goldy Sutter Roussell
Gaunce Schaller

You realize that when you say “traded” you have drifted into fantasy land.

Reactions: brokenhole

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
You realize that when you say “traded” you have drifted into fantasy land.
No i didnt there just ideas that Im hoping happen as they really gotta. Theres too many forwards incase you havent noticed [mod];

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Your first assumption is that the team will correctly identify and cut the weakest links off the roster. Your next assumption is that those weak links will be young prospects instead of 4th liners. This is what your argument is built upon.

It's poor planning to overload the roster with static contracts. Depth can be had via call ups. What Benning did here is bring in bottom end fodder that cannot be easily moved. And so, he's caught between having to waive pieces with more potential, or trading waiving/veteran contracts. That's somehow good planning? He's boxed himself in.

There was nothing preventing him from signing Czarnik, Shore, Peca etc... players on the cusp. Ones that if they were sent down, it wouldn't be a disaster parking of an onerous contract. Instead, he locked the lowest value positions on the team so that he will be forced to send down better potential assets. Do you understand?

You have yet to post a roster with the youngest players still on the team. Post a full roster with Goldobin, Leipsic, Gaunce, Granlund, Gaudette all making it. What happens then?

It's very simple: If your automatic response to creating a roster with young players is to trade/waive veterans on poor contracts, then you've admitted that the roster is needlessly bloated.
ok this is better.

It has to be an assumption? For all i know Horvat is being traded for Jacob Trouba next week? Secondly they go into an offseason with a plan for who will be where next year and one summer doesn't change the progression of a prospect so much that the team has to make big adjustments. i'm sure xxxxx will not work out so hard this summer (4 months) to completely transform who they are as a athlete. So yes my assumptions are that Gagner Granlund Leipsic Goldobin Gaunce Gaudette Dahlen Lind etc will be behind the 4 marketed forwards (Horvat Boeser Virtanen Pettersson) and the 6 vets with term (Eriksson Sutter Baertschi Roussel Beagle Schaller)

As far as my second assumption....i base it on quotes from the coach, my viewings of all last years games and feedback from posters here on their evaluations of their play. At the end of the day it's just my opinion which doesn't matter if you disagree.

I'm not sure what the static contract is? All roster players that don't make it are going to Utica and will be recalled as depth when needed if cleared....this is how it works Gagner Granlund Gaunce and Goldobin have been bad and lets be honest only Goldobin holds any potential at this point worth mining. Of the 8 players i mentioned for 3 spots how many of them do you see as btm6 types that can play the roles of Hansen Torres Malhotra Lapierre.......Gaudette?? Gaunce?? Gadjovich and Madden when he's ready....MacEwen??? point being they dont have much in the pipeline for btm 6 players ready to go and the 3 signings buy them some time and provide good service (for the first part at least)

When they targetted Schaller Roussel and Beagle you can bet your ass it was after consultation with Green and the fact that last years team was small slow and weak. Travis was often quoted that he wanted to play fast and hard. Not many players in last years team fit that narrative. So the signings will play and based on last years work and previous these 3 players are better fits for the roles that Travis Green wants to fill and improve upon. You dont target a free agent on a one way on July 1st and then cut them because of a weak camp. It would have to be really really bad and conversely giving a spot to a player after a small sample exhibition season also comes with risks don't you think?

i already posted the roster...sans Gaunce who is no more a prospect than Granlund Pouliot and Leipsic at this point and looks to be by the signings on his way elsewhere unless a shocking move of both Gagner and Granlund are cut/traded. I know some of you like this player but he provides nothing offensively and is not tough nor creative fast or deceptive. I think the point of younger is not better has been driven home enough with the opinions on age gap aquisitions. Applying all your names to the roster based on zero past merit is not a road worth going down and as shown i did it without Gaunce and i see you have now added Granlund to try and make this go round and round.

To your last point... do you think the leafs care that one of their centres is getting cut or re assigned this fall due to Tavares being signed? Obviously an extreme example but even lower in the roster if you can improve your team and you do so and it costs someone their job thats the nature of the beast. Gagner has been waived before, Calagay was moving on from Granlund. Do you not think Benning has the balls to do it. He has before.

I disagree with your notion that we have needlessly bloated the roster and that prospects are being blocked. If Del Zotto Pouliot Gagner Granlund Gaunce and Nilsson were replaced tomorrow with Gaudette Hughes Juolevi Demko Dahlen Lind do you think Benning would have a hard time saying goodbye and would you? What is his loss.......a few overpaid contracts in Utica Shinkaruk and a 4th?.......a couple of them would get claimed or traded. Maybe even a surplus for our draft??

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
ok this is better.

It has to be an assumption? For all i know Horvat is being traded for Jacob Trouba next week? Secondly they go into an offseason with a plan for who will be where next year and one summer doesn't change the progression of a prospect so much that the team has to make big adjustments. i'm sure xxxxx will not work out so hard this summer (4 months) to completely transform who they are as a athlete. So yes my assumptions are that Gagner Granlund Leipsic Goldobin Gaunce Gaudette Dahlen Lind etc will be behind the 4 marketed forwards (Horvat Boeser Virtanen Pettersson) and the 6 vets with term (Eriksson Sutter Baertschi Roussel Beagle Schaller)

As far as my second assumption....i base it on quotes from the coach, my viewings of all last years games and feedback from posters here on their evaluations of their play. At the end of the day it's just my opinion which doesn't matter if you disagree.

I'm not sure what the static contract is? All roster players that don't make it are going to Utica and will be recalled as depth when needed if cleared....this is how it works Gagner Granlund Gaunce and Goldobin have been bad and lets be honest only Goldobin holds any potential at this point worth mining. Of the 8 players i mentioned for 3 spots how many of them do you see as btm6 types that can play the roles of Hansen Torres Malhotra Lapierre.......Gaudette?? Gaunce?? Gadjovich and Madden when he's ready....MacEwen??? point being they dont have much in the pipeline for btm 6 players ready to go and the 3 signings buy them some time and provide good service (for the first part at least)

When they targetted Schaller Roussel and Beagle you can bet your ass it was after consultation with Green and the fact that last years team was small slow and weak. Travis was often quoted that he wanted to play fast and hard. Not many players in last years team fit that narrative. So the signings will play and based on last years work and previous these 3 players are better fits for the roles that Travis Green wants to fill and improve upon. You dont target a free agent on a one way on July 1st and then cut them because of a weak camp. It would have to be really really bad and conversely giving a spot to a player after a small sample exhibition season also comes with risks don't you think?

i already posted the roster...sans Gaunce who is no more a prospect than Granlund Pouliot and Leipsic at this point and looks to be by the signings on his way elsewhere unless a shocking move of both Gagner and Granlund are cut/traded. I know some of you like this player but he provides nothing offensively and is not tough nor creative fast or deceptive. I think the point of younger is not better has been driven home enough with the opinions on age gap aquisitions. Applying all your names to the roster based on zero past merit is not a road worth going down and as shown i did it without Gaunce and i see you have now added Granlund to try and make this go round and round.

To your last point... do you think the leafs care that one of their centres is getting cut or re assigned this fall due to Tavares being signed? Obviously an extreme example but even lower in the roster if you can improve your team and you do so and it costs someone their job thats the nature of the beast. Gagner has been waived before, Calagay was moving on from Granlund. Do you not think Benning has the balls to do it. He has before.

I disagree with your notion that we have needlessly bloated the roster and that prospects are being blocked. If Del Zotto Pouliot Gagner Granlund Gaunce and Nilsson were replaced tomorrow with Gaudette Hughes Juolevi Demko Dahlen Lind do you think Benning would have a hard time saying goodbye and would you? What is his loss.......a few overpaid contracts in Utica Shinkaruk and a 4th?.......a couple of them would get claimed or traded. Maybe even a surplus for our draft??

How is he losing the contracts is the question? Benning may decide to get rid of them, but another team has to assist him to move them. How badly do other teams want this poor contracts?

There's a threshold between improving your team in the short term, and allowing for improvement to your team in the long-term. Sometimes you just have to run with fringe players to see what they have. Especially, at the cost of a slightly weaker 4th line. Small price to pay for potential gains.

Without Gaunce, you still have Goldobin and Gaudette off the roster before camp and without trades. Try again.

This is not a meritocracy. You prove this with your comment in bold. If it was, the signings would have a near equal chance of being cut to make room for young players. That doesn't exist here.

Gaunce, Gaudette, Leipsic and Granlund can all play bottom6 minutes. Goldobin is probably the only one who cannot. Where are you getting that they can't do it and so had to be replaced by 4th liners?

Your assumptions indicate a predestined course of action, which negates "deserves to be on the team". Deserve has nothing to do with it. Either it's a showdown between young players and the newly signed vets, or it's not. You've already indicated that it's not above. The recently signed 4th liners will all make it onto the team and the fringe players will be in an unfair dogfight, even if they outplay those signed 4th liners. It's a contest between fringe young players only and that's a problem.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
So let's see. We'll assume players with new contracts are on the roster for the regular season puck drop. Horvat and Boeser are the team's best players, they're a lock. Benning's in love with Sutter, so he's a lock. That means:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
xxxx - xxxx - Virtanen
Schaller - Sutter - Granlund
Roussel - Beagle - xxxx

Three spots on the forward lines available for: Eriksson, Gaunce, Gagner, Goldobin, and Leipsic. That's before any rookies.

And the defense and goaltending from last year is all signed for next. Somehow, our D is being paid more than Nashville's.

Wow. Just wow. And people look at this and think Benning's good at his job.

kallor

May 15, 2015
Brough had an article in the Athletic where he suggested that Roussel Sutter Virtanen had been penciled in so far.

Obviously things can change but I don't hate the concept of that line. Lots of speed, some physicality and transition offense but mostly a line that eats minutes against top lines.

Assuming this happens

Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Roussel Sutter Virtanen
Eriksson Gagner Pettersson
Schaller Beagle Granlund
Liepsic

Gaunce and Goldy waived unfortunately.

Schaller was the UFA I liked the most but think he has effectively closed Gaunce's opportunity in Van.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Brough had an article in the Athletic where he suggested that Roussel Sutter Virtanen had been penciled in so far.

Obviously things can change but I don't hate the concept of that line. Lots of speed, some physicality and transition offense but mostly a line that eats minutes against top lines.

Assuming this happens

Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Roussel Sutter Virtanen
Eriksson Gagner Pettersson
Schaller Beagle Granlund
Liepsic

Gaunce and Goldy waived unfortunately.

Schaller was the UFA I liked the most but think he has effectively closed Gaunce's opportunity in Van.

Yech .... how can you not have Gaudette in the line up. People worried about him not signing, but they are happy to alienate him by putting in the AHL when he is clearly abetter option that this pile of dung. And we have a bunch of overpaid players in this line up. The 3 new signings. Gagner. Eriksson. that new NHL is making Sutter look not that bad .... sigh. .... But Dahlen and Gaudette should be in instead of this excrement.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Yech .... how can you not have Gaudette in the line up. People worried about him not signing, but they are happy to alienate him by putting in the AHL when he is clearly abetter option that this pile of dung. And we have a bunch of overpaid players in this line up. The 3 new signings. Gagner. Eriksson. that new NHL is making Sutter look not that bad .... sigh. .... But Dahlen and Gaudette should be in instead of this excrement.
This team is paying $12 million a season for Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel for the next four years. Four years.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
But the Sedins were keeping us from rebuilding properly I was told
So was I...or no. Wait. It wasn't that they were keeping the team from rebuilding, it's that the team couldn't possibly rebuild and deny the Sedins the chance to be competitive...so it was better to sink to the bottom of the standings anyway. Because we can't handle a rebuild, dammit!

*edit* Everybody's dead, Dave.

We know bugger-all about space travel, but if you've got a blocked nozzle, we're your lads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Lister

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
So was I...or no. Wait. It wasn't that they were keeping the team from rebuilding, it's that the team couldn't possibly rebuild and deny the Sedins the chance to be competitive...so it was better to sink to the bottom of the standings anyway. Because we can't handle a rebuild, dammit!

*edit* Everybody's dead, Dave.

We know bugger-all about space travel, but if you've got a blocked nozzle, we're your lads.
We have a Dave and Cat in both our forwards and defense, a Kryten who might show up this year from Sweden, and the rest are a bunch of Rimmers.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
We have a Dave and Cat in both our forwards and defense, a Kryten who might show up this year from Sweden, and the rest are a bunch of Rimmers.
Funny thing: Rob Llewellyn who played Kryten for most of the show actually tried to do a Canadian accent. That's what he was going for during the original Red Dwarf run. Watch the classic RD episodes after Kryten was added; that's him trying to do a Canadian accent. Really.

Reactions: Dave Lister

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Baertschi - Horvat - Pettersson
Eriksson - Gaudette - Boeser
Roussel - Sutter - Virtanen
Leipsic - Beagle - Schaller
Goldobin/Gaunce

*Gagner/Granlund

Edler - Gudbranson
Hutton - Tanev
MDZ - Stecher
Pouliot
Biega

Markstrom
Nillson

There is no place on this team for Gagner or Granlund UNLESS they play down the middle. Realistically Gaudette could go to Utica and any one of Leipsic, Goldobin or Gaunce are waived. That would in theory open up 2 spots for them but I expect Gaudette to win a spot (or at least deserve a spot) after camp. If there are any offers for Gagner accept them, I don't care if it's a 7th round pick or another Motte just get him off the books! I like the idea of putting Pettersson on Horvat's wing to start and see if Boeser can carry his own line although the options for linemates are very limited.

Defence is horrendous but decent for team tank. Juolevi, Sautner or Mceneny could eventually earn call ups if trades or injuries happen.

Nillson can likely pe pawned off at the deadline (unless he's complete garbage) which would earn Demko a call up.

It's bleak.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Lipesic Beagles Erikkson
Goldy Sutter Roussell
Gaunce Schaller

Gaudette aint starting at 2c...Willie Green is the coach.

kallor

May 15, 2015

I would love to have Gaudette and Dahlen penciled but can't see it starting off the season that way unless there are some injuries.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
So let's see. We'll assume players with new contracts are on the roster for the regular season puck drop. Horvat and Boeser are the team's best players, they're a lock. Benning's in love with Sutter, so he's a lock. That means:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
xxxx - xxxx - Virtanen
Schaller - Sutter - Granlund
Roussel - Beagle - xxxx

Three spots on the forward lines available for: Eriksson, Gaunce, Gagner, Goldobin, and Leipsic. That's before any rookies.

And the defense and goaltending from last year is all signed for next. Somehow, our D is being paid more than Nashville's.

Wow. Just wow. And people look at this and think Benning's good at his job.

The writing has been on the wall for Benning supporters for so, so long. They just refuse to look.

He's taken a trash team and made it worse, and added even more inflexible contracts to bit players. It's astounding.

P.S. I'd pencil Eriksson and Gagner in there too. It's nigh impossible that they don't end up on the roster (barring some sort of trade, they're not getting waived though).

Reactions: billvanseattle

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Goldobin Horvat Pettersson
Baertschi Guadette Boeser
Leipsic Sutter Eriksson
Roussel Beagle Schaller
Now this i like. But id prefer Virtanen to replace either Eriksson or Schaller and i can like that This year

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
The thing I don't get is how whenever Benning talks about where the offence will come from this year he always lists the same players.

Horvat (Yes)
Baertschi (Depending on injury maybe)
Boeser (Yes)
Virtanen (Tell your coach to play him?)
Goldobin (No room at all on the roster)
Pettersson (Who will he even play with?)
Gaudette (Can he score goals all the way from Utica?)

Like that's great you've acquired all these young exciting players that have untapped offensive potential, but you just signed a bunch of offensively inept old vets that you KNOW Travis is going to march on out there every opportunity he gets.

I know it's not the GMs job to coach, but if you want Goldobin on the PP and Pettersson playing more minutes you just trade Gagner and you don't sign and UFAs on July 1st.

He must know that Gaudette and Goldobin aren't going to be adding offence. His coach isn't going to give them a chance. The younger players deserve more of a leash. Look at Boeser. Let them play.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Goldobin Horvat Boeser
Baer Pettersson Eriksson
Rousell Sutter Virtanen
Schaller Beagle Granlund

Liepsic Gagner Gaudette

There always at least 2 to 3 F out so no problem

Boucher Motte Archibald Gaunce waive.

Dahlen I think need at least half of the year in the AHL

Lind Gadjovich Jasek not close to being nhl ready

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
Goldobin Horvat Pettersson
Baertschi Guadette Boeser
Leipsic Sutter Eriksson
Roussel Beagle Schaller
No Virtanen? I truly want Goldobin to break out ... but I don't think he's going to get a real shot with this team. I do like Gaudette with Boeser.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
The one thing that Sutter and Beagle should provide is the vast majority of defensive zone assignments leaving a soft sheltered spot open for a rookie like Gaudette or Petterson if that try him at centre.

Reactions: Canucks1096

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad