forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Kerfoot seems to have got bigger over the summer from a picture posted a few weeks ago. Hopefully if true that will help him this season.

Reactions: klozge

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Kerfoot seems to have got bigger over the summer from a picture posted a few weeks ago. Hopefully if true that will help him this season.
He's still 5'4. He needs to avoid getting hit and should learn from Girard how to do it.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
All other fanbases think our D is bad. We have had a bad D for so long, it's going to take some time to get rid of this stigma I'm afraid.
True. But the other fan bases aren't wrong in saying that our defense is still bad.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
We have legit NHL defense. Middle of the pack.

EJ is a below average #1D
Barrie is a low end top pairing D/very high end second pairing D.
Z is a second pairing D.
Girard is a borderline second pairing D.
Cole is a borderline second pairing D.
Nemeth is a good bottom pairing D.
Barbie is a good 7th D.

Z can still take steps in his development and become a top pairing D. Girard has a lot of room to grow and could establish himself as true top four D as soon as next season.

Our D is fine but lacks a high end #1D. That's a problem for many teams though.

I'd love to add EK to this team.. Would solve A LOT.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Girard and z could both take steps forward or backwards. Development is rarely linear and both of those guys are still fairly young (Girard very young), so to predict that they will both only get better without taking more lumps is hard for me to agree with.

Reactions: MacBradley

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Lots of peeps are assuming Girard is just gonna improve and improve and skyrocket into orbit when thats typically not how the league works
Most of the time ive seen young stud D struggle at some point mightly in year 2 and or 3.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Well, that's why I used words can and could. Maybe Girard he regresses. But I trust that he will become a true top four D in the next 2-3 years.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
All other fanbases think our D is bad. We have had a bad D for so long, it's going to take some time to get rid of this stigma I'm afraid.

I've actually felt like the media pundits have stopped checking it off as a weakness, and view it anywhere from league average to a work in progress with a bright future. Nemeth, Girard, and Z did a lot to change that perception during the playoffs.

That is usually how it works though because of the level of attention you get at that point. A lot of those guys watch every playoff game so they learn a lot more about your team.

This off-season has been a much more enjoyable read when it comes to national media than I can remember in a long time lol.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Avs were 14th in team D last year, going by goals against. The gave up 236 goals, for 2.87 GAA. The best defensive team, LA, gave up 202, or 2.46 GAA. The worst was NYI at 293 goals and 3.57 GAA. So we are just better than the median, and a fair bit better than the mean. And yes, this is affected by goalies. But ours actually only played about average or a bit above., with Varly sitting 14th in SV% and Bernier at 26th, among qualified keepers (total of 51 with ~26+ games played).

I do not think it should be counted as a weakness any more. But it should also not be counted as a strength yet. At least not until we see the steps forward than many are expecting from the kids. But even if they simply stagnate, the D should be a bit better by virtue of having Cole, who pushes one of Nemeth/Barbs to nacho duty, and makes it less likely we get 112 games from a combo of Lindholm/Alt/Mironov/Warsofsky/Seimens/Bigras. Yes, I know some of them are gone...the point is with Cole, even if they were still around they would be less likely to get ice time. Downside is that it will make it that much harder for Meloche or Timmins to get meaningful minutes with the Avs. Unless of course one of the scrubs or kids earns a full time spot....which is in itself an improvement over last year.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Avs were 14th in team D last year, going by goals against. The gave up 236 goals, for 2.87 GAA. The best defensive team, LA, gave up 202, or 2.46 GAA. The worst was NYI at 293 goals and 3.57 GAA. So we are just better than the median, and a fair bit better than the mean. And yes, this is affected by goalies. But ours actually only played about average or a bit above., with Varly sitting 14th in SV% and Bernier at 26th, among qualified keepers (total of 51 with ~26+ games played).

I do not think it should be counted as a weakness any more. But it should also not be counted as a strength yet. At least not until we see the steps forward than many are expecting from the kids. But even if they simply stagnate, the D should be a bit better by virtue of having Cole, who pushes one of Nemeth/Barbs to nacho duty, and makes it less likely we get 112 games from a combo of Lindholm/Alt/Mironov/Warsofsky/Seimens/Bigras. Yes, I know some of them are gone...the point is with Cole, even if they were still around they would be less likely to get ice time. Downside is that it will make it that much harder for Meloche or Timmins to get meaningful minutes with the Avs. Unless of course one of the scrubs or kids earns a full time spot....which is in itself an improvement over last year.

Nice post

That was one reason I loved the Cole signing. Just a reliable body to push some the depth down further. It really puts it into perspective when you say 112 games of guys who should be #7 or later on your roster. We finally have a top 7 who can play real NHL minutes. That was the other thing with that list of guys. Some of them got less than 10 minutes at times. Everyone in our top 7 I'd be comfortable playing 15 minutes a night.

I don't think Timmins or Meloche will have a problem. Especially with how much Barrie and EJ like to spend time on IR. Plus they should have to beat out these 6/7s the old fashioned way.

It might be nice to have the young guys need to do more than not embrace themselves to surpass our 6th D man.

Reactions: Waingro

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
They have a central division predictions thread on the Jets board, which I thought was interesting.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/central-division-predictions.2525915/

Shows you how fanbases in general usually know very little about other teams.

I dont get it.

I read the first 2 pages and only found a single post that had a poor understanding of the Avs(Defense is definitely the real strength of this team right now out of the three positions).

They seemed to have a pretty good understanding of the Central division.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I dont get it.

I read the first 2 pages and only found a single post that had a poor understanding of the Avs(Defense is definitely the real strength of this team right now out of the three positions).

That’s what I got out of that as well. Seemed pretty neutral and fair to me.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I dont get it.

The fine line is between here and @Balthazar's opinion. Even though I find Jets fans to be probably the most annoying fanbase of the Central, majority of them do have us in a playoff position. However, "good understanding" might be a tad too nice considering I've gone through a couple who think Makar will make our team from training camp.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
There's no actual 2018/19 season talk thread so I figured I'd post this here.

Listened to the Chicklets podcast yesterday (legit hilarious podcast where you hear some great stories for those who don't listen) and Jost and Comeau were interviewed. Jost was saying how Mackinnon has him on the Andy O'Brien workout program. Jost joked about how last summer all he did was lift heavy and he showed up to camp bulky and built but it really affected his mobility. This year his workouts consist of light weight, high rep exercises using a lot of bands and shit which helps with flexibility and mobility to work more on leaning out then adding muscle.

So to all of us hoping Jost would bulk up this summer... not gonna happen. To those of us hoping Jost shows up to camp faster and quicker, that's probably gonna be a thing as long he's taking his workouts as serious as he seems to be.

I'd love for Jost to be stronger but in todays NHL it's more important to be quick than strong. Ideally you'd have both and over time I think he can accomplish it but in my opinion I think right now he's making the right decision on what approach he's taking into improving his game.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
There's no actual 2018/19 season talk thread so I figured I'd post this here.

Listened to the Chicklets podcast yesterday (legit hilarious podcast where you hear some great stories for those who don't listen) and Jost and Comeau were interviewed. Jost was saying how Mackinnon has him on the Andy O'Brien workout program. Jost joked about how last summer all he did was lift heavy and he showed up to camp bulky and built but it really affected his mobility. This year his workouts consist of light weight, high rep exercises using a lot of bands and **** which helps with flexibility and mobility to work more on leaning out then adding muscle.

So to all of us hoping Jost would bulk up this summer... not gonna happen. To those of us hoping Jost shows up to camp faster and quicker, that's probably gonna be a thing as long he's taking his workouts as serious as he seems to be.

I'd love for Jost to be stronger but in todays NHL it's more important to be quick than strong. Ideally you'd have both and over time I think he can accomplish it but in my opinion I think right now he's making the right decision on what approach he's taking into improving his game.

Listened to it too, pretty good podcast. A bit frat boy esque at times but still pretty good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad