WC: 2017 whc Cologne/Paris. Tickets, accommodation etc

Jeb99

Apr 26, 2014
Jönköping
Hello friends and furiers!

Just bought tickets to next year's world hockey championship(ahh yeah baby). Sweden plays in Cologne so therefore my visit will be there. I was wondering if there are people around here who bought tickets already and have a few questions for the locals as well.

Where can I find the best apfelstrudl in Cologne?
Is there any sports bars or typical hockey bars to visit? I got day tickets and planning to go and maybe see a game of the Paris group while teams like Italy play in Cologne.

I know that hockey is rather popular in Germany despite the lack of success for Germany internationally so will it be lots of audience even for the games where Germany isn't playing? I was in Prague and that was amazing. 13000ish on Switzerland Latvia game was crazy.

How much is the beer in Germany?
If anyone Could explain how the public transportation works there too that would be much appreciated.

Thanks. And see you in Cologne!

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I haven't been to Köln in ten years but it's an awesome city. Beer used to cost 3-5€ in a pub but it's been awhile. German hockey fans are solid but regardless there will be Finns Latvians, though sadly no Hungarians :( and will be a great atmosphere.

City had a subway (ubahn) and regional trains (sbahn). Again it's been a long time but it's usually very easy to get around Germany. Easy to use maps and English instructions. Plus just about everyone in that part of Germany speaks English.

I kind of wished the US would get in Paris but Köln is a nice substitute.

Jeb99

Apr 26, 2014
Jönköping
I haven't been to Köln in ten years but it's an awesome city. Beer used to cost 3-5€ in a pub but it's been awhile. German hockey fans are solid but regardless there will be Finns Latvians, though sadly no Hungarians :( and will be a great atmosphere.

City had a subway (ubahn) and regional trains (sbahn). Again it's been a long time but it's usually very easy to get around Germany. Easy to use maps and English instructions. Plus just about everyone in that part of Germany speaks English.

OK. Thank you for your answers. I was just wondering what the s and u before the bang meant when speaking about trains there. We will be staying near the hbf wich I think is the main train station there.

I was hoping to get Canada in Cologne too. Saw them against Sweden in Prague in 2015 with Crosby that was amazing.

Now we have to put up with drunken Russians wich is quite 'different' compared to drunk Canadians.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
OK. Thank you for your answers. I was just wondering what the s and u before the bang meant when speaking about trains there. We will be staying near the hbf wich I think is the main train station there.

I was hoping to get Canada in Cologne too. Saw them against Sweden in Prague in 2015 with Crosby that was amazing.

Now we have to put up with drunken Russians wich is quite 'different' compared to drunk Canadians.

Ubahn is like a subway/metro. sbahn is like a commuter rail kind of. Further distances. Less stops. But not quite intercity

Hauptbahnhof means main train station.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

Yeah, Köln is great. Step into a little shop, buy a beer, open it on the way out the door, and stroll up and down along the Rhein. One great big outdoor happy hour.

Jeb99

Apr 26, 2014
Jönköping
For those travelling from southern Sweden I would suggest going from gothenburg (landvetter) airport. Flights daily to dusseldorf with seems to be very close to cologne. I bought tickets for 359×2 sek. Approximately 40 usd (x2)

Jönköping also have flights daily to frankfurt. Price approximately 2000 sek round-trip. Usd 225.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I will be curious to see how many of the locals in Paris take in the games. Will there be any buzz in the city or will it just be a footnote?

Even in St. Petersburg it was kind of a footnote, unless you were around the stadium. A city that big is just always going to swallow it up.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
I will be curious to see how many of the locals in Paris take in the games. Will there be any buzz in the city or will it just be a footnote?

France was a bad decision anyway, so they had to pair it with Cologne, which has a decent hockey culture.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
So I got my tickets, hotels and Eurostar tickets booked

Eurostar Return from London £74 (more or less---due to that I go to Paris on business on a regular bases I will be heading back home on off days)

Hotel cost me £250for 9 days(I work in hotels at got a room at staff rate)

tickets to all the games cost me just under £300

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Hello friends and furiers!

Just bought tickets to next year's world hockey championship(ahh yeah baby). Sweden plays in Cologne so therefore my visit will be there. I was wondering if there are people around here who bought tickets already and have a few questions for the locals as well.

Where can I find the best apfelstrudl in Cologne?
Is there any sports bars or typical hockey bars to visit? I got day tickets and planning to go and maybe see a game of the Paris group while teams like Italy play in Cologne.

I know that hockey is rather popular in Germany despite the lack of success for Germany internationally so will it be lots of audience even for the games where Germany isn't playing? I was in Prague and that was amazing. 13000ish on Switzerland Latvia game was crazy.

How much is the beer in Germany?
If anyone Could explain how the public transportation works there too that would be much appreciated.

Thanks. And see you in Cologne!

1.I'm going

2.People need to learn Germany is a country with different traditions in different parts of the country. Apfelstrudel isn't exactly a Cologne specialty.

3.I don't expect much german audience at games with no german participation. But Cologne is a good location for foreign fans. Kinda in the middle of Europe and very much affordable. I expect a lot of fans of other countries.

4.The beer... There were times before the Euro. Now like 3 Euro is a normal price for a beer. Used to be the same in DM. Still a nice price for a Swede I guess;)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The Rhine-Ruhr region is the nicest urban part of Germany, so fans going there should enjoy. Paris isn't that nice, but I hope that the players (and their wives) believe the hype and show up in decent numbers.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006

I was in Paris in August and went by the AccorHotels Arena in Bercy, where the group's games will be played. The electronic billboard listed all the upcoming events running through to August or September of 2017. The IIHF worlds were not among the listed events. '

I get that Paris has little to no hockey culture, so I hadn't expected that the city would be awash in hockey 10 months out, but you would think that the event venue would be trying to raise some awareness/interest in the tournament as early as possible. It's a little disappointing and a bit puzzling that you would put a tournament in a world capital without putting some effort into hyping it a little bit.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Planning on going to this. Should be a riot. Probably see a few games in Paris and eventually work my way to Cologne.

Was in Paris last year,and eager to go back. Another car rental and a. "Whereever the current takes me" is likely on the docket again. However the plan is to start in Paris with a few games guarenteed.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Planning on going to this. Should be a riot. Probably see a few games in Paris and eventually work my way to Cologne.

Was in Paris last year,and eager to go back. Another car rental and a. "Whereever the current takes me" is likely on the docket again. However the plan is to start in Paris with a few games guarenteed.

I want you to know that I am really trying not to sound like a whiny German looking for validation here (and I usually hate Cologne, because I am not even remotely from anywhere near there and all my sports teams hate all their sports teams), but if you are at all in it for the hockey as opposed to just the European sightseeing, I implore you to really try to make it to Cologne in the end.
It is one of the biggest traditional hockey markets in Germany (with the understanding that hockey Germany >>>> hockey France to begin with) and combined with Düsseldorf (which is spitting distance and despite the huge team rivalry with Cologne will make use of this event too) it's probably the biggest (at worst second biggest) hockey metro area in Germany.
Which is to say: Paris probably has the better known old church, the cinematically more exploited bridges and the smaller but more beloved river running through, but for hockey: please try giving Cologne a chance!

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I want you to know that I am really trying not to sound like a whiny German looking for validation here (and I usually hate Cologne, because I am not even remotely from anywhere near there and all my sports teams hate all their sports teams), but if you are at all in it for the hockey as opposed to just the European sightseeing, I implore you to really try to make it to Cologne in the end.
It is one of the biggest traditional hockey markets in Germany (with the understanding that hockey Germany >>>> hockey France to begin with) and combined with Düsseldorf (which is spitting distance and despite the huge team rivalry with Cologne will make use of this event too) it's probably the biggest (at worst second biggest) hockey metro area in Germany.
Which is to say: Paris probably has the better known old church, the cinematically more exploited bridges and the smaller but more beloved river running through, but for hockey: please try giving Cologne a chance!
100% will keep this in mind.
Went to a redbulls game when I was there last and really had a riot. Am really looking forward to exploring some new cities, so it's nice to hear some input. Driving isn't a problem....us Canadians are used to going across big distances and not even leaving our home province. - the fact we can see such different culture in a drivable space is so damn awesome. Did 5 countries in 10 days last time....was awesome.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
-what is the best way to travel between Paris and Cologne in between games? (distance/time/costs)

- What is best method to find accommodations for 7-10 days in Cologne, just before and during medal round? ( Price/ location/ downtown/or close to rink).

Is Cologne arena central/downtown and does it have lots to do around arena ( hotel/bars/pubs/restaurants ).

Is there a link to where I can buy medal round tickets.

Last edited:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
-what is the best way to travel between Paris and Cologne in between games? (distance/time/costs)

- What is best method to find accommodations for 7-10 days in Cologne, just before and during medal round? ( Price/ location/ downtown/or close to rink).

Is Cologne arena central/downtown and does it have lots to do around arena ( hotel/bars/pubs/restaurants ).

Pretty sure there's a direct train from Köln to Paris and it takes like 3 hours or so.

Jeb99

Apr 26, 2014
Jönköping
Less than 100 days to go! I can't wait.

I have never seen USA play before.(game that I attended) I am actually looking forward to that game the most. In Prague two years ago I remember that both latvia and Canada had a lot of fans watching their games. What about Americans, is it likely there will be a lot of them when US play? I know hockey is rather big in US as well though I'm not sure whether or not the fans travel to see them play....

Jeb99

Apr 26, 2014
Jönköping

The arena seems to be in a part of town called Deutz . It's rather close to the hauptbanehof wich I learned is the main train station. Maybe 2-3 kms away as the crow flies.

Tickets are available at iihf2017.com

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Less than 100 days to go! I can't wait.

I have never seen USA play before.(game that I attended) I am actually looking forward to that game the most. In Prague two years ago I remember that both latvia and Canada had a lot of fans watching their games. What about Americans, is it likely there will be a lot of them when US play? I know hockey is rather big in US as well though I'm not sure whether or not the fans travel to see them play....

I am not American, but it would be pretty shocking if a significant number of American fans attended. From what I can gather most American hockey fans don't know or care about this tournament.

Jeb99

Apr 26, 2014
Jönköping
I am not American, but it would be pretty shocking if a significant number of American fans attended. From what I can gather most American hockey fans don't know or care about this tournament.

I know what you mean. Still, I hear lots of Canadians whining about this tournament and they still show up in pretty large numbers anyways. Just thought that maybe something similar would happen with the Americans.

Are there still a lot of Americans living in Germany like from the cold war era?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad