GDT: 2017 Traverse City NHL Prospect Tournament (Matthew Wuest Memorial) (8-12 September)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
http://www.centreice.org/page/show/483955-nhl-prospect-tournament

DIfG7pzVoAEf-j_.jpg

We play:
Friday (September 8) 7pm
Saturday 3.30PM
Monday 7pm
Tuesday TBD

New York Rangers @NYRangers · 4h Replying to @BLosito11 Yes. Games will be streamed. Stay tuned for more info!

Looks like there will be streams available. Caught many games last year but through other organizations IIRC. Hopefully nyr.com will have them directly this time.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I would go with:
Kovac-Andersson-Fontaine
Ronning-Chytil-Gettinger
Gropp-Lettieri-Stromwall
x
Bereglazov-Pionk
Pedrie-Zborovskiy
Day-X

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Defense and goaltending should be pretty good. Up front will depend on the two top picks and a guy like Gropp. Could be a solid team. You never know in short tournaments with guys that haven't really played together.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Defense and goaltending should be pretty good. Up front will depend on the two top picks and a guy like Gropp. Could be a solid team. You never know in short tournaments with guys that haven't really played together.

I mean I know Kovacs and Stromwall are not the new sexy youngin's but they both played in the AHL last year. I would expect them to put up a good amount of points.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I mean I know Kovacs and Stromwall are not the new sexy youngin's but they both played in the AHL last year. I would expect them to put up a good amount of points.

You'd hope. Stromwall was utter garbage however and didn't look like he belonged, even in the rare instances where I saw him given a larger role. He looked like a guy that should be playing second tier in Europe. Kovacs sucked too but was a lot younger... Not sure what to make of him, and can't be totally sure where his head is at with the offseason incident. Ronning could have an impact; he looked decent in his cup of coffee with the Pack. The rest of the guys, I don't see anyone who I would expect to drive play. Again though, you never know in a short tournament like this. You could get a guy like Leedahl who doesn't profile as much, but had a good WHL campaign, stepping forward as a leader at this level.

It's an interesting group and I look forward to seeing them play.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
You'd hope. Stromwall was utter garbage however and didn't look like he belonged, even in the rare instances where I saw him given a larger role. He looked like a guy that should be playing second tier in Europe. Kovacs sucked too but was a lot younger... Not sure what to make of him, and can't be totally sure where his head is at with the offseason incident. Ronning could have an impact; he looked decent in his cup of coffee with the Pack. The rest of the guys, I don't see anyone who I would expect to drive play. Again though, you never know in a short tournament like this. You could get a guy like Leedahl who doesn't profile as much, but had a good WHL campaign, stepping forward as a leader at this level.

It's an interesting group and I look forward to seeing them play.

This is far below AHL level, they were both really good at this tournament last year, no reason to think they won't be good in it again. Kovac's used this as a springboard to make the AHL team, with a bad season behind them hopefully they have something to prove.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This is far below AHL level, they were both really good at this tournament last year, no reason to think they won't be good in it again. Kovac's used this as a springboard to make the AHL team, with a bad season behind them hopefully they have something to prove.

That is true, I had forgotten all about that. With Gettinger centering them or something unorthodox. Well good, hopefully they can repeat their performance.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I would go with:
Kovac-Andersson-Fontaine
Ronning-Chytil-Gettinger
Gropp-Lettieri-Stromwall
x
Bereglazov-Pionk
Pedrie-Zborovskiy
Day-X

Gropp-Andersson-Chytil
Gettinger-Fontaine-Ronning
Kovacs-Lettieri-Stromwall
---

Bereglazov-Zborovskiy
Day-Pionk
Crawley-Pedrie

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I like our D a lot better than last year.

Zborovskiy was our steadiest guy. Day had one really good game, one okay game and two awful ones. Gilmour was kind of so so and Calle Andersson was complete crap. The rest were invites.

Bereglazov has 162 KHL games for one of the best KHL teams. The Rangers have been talking up Pionk a lot. Day has improved a lot--so if Zborovskiy is the best defenseman again I'll be disappointed--though I do expect him with another year to be better. Pedrie could be pretty good too.

I'm also intrigued by Georgiev in goal. He has WJC and Liiga experience.

Defensively we should be pretty solid.

The forward group we have a couple first rounders and I'm expecting Andersson particularly to shine. Chytil might be the youngest player in the tournament. It doesn't appear to be a terrific group though. We're going to need some of Gropp, Stromwall, Ronning, Gettinger, Lettieri, Kovacs to step up if we're going to win the thing.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Whether or not this team is good or just okay comes down entirely to how well the two rookie 1st round centers play, IMO.

then Hartford is doomed

we have a TC roster full of qualified young prospects,
most coming off productive, improving seasons

transitioning to NA pro hockey, their goal for years
they all need to show up ready to make impact,

and if NONE of them take the opportunity to open everyone's eyes,
then they're the wrong guys

I expect (ok i hope) 3-6 of the non-Lias/Chytil guys to impress

_________
but reposting this reminder i put at Prospects thread yesterday

don't freak out when the tryouts play every game ,
while a couple prospects sit each game,
NYR use this to evaluate the unsigned

and actually the newcomer we learn the most about may be McCambridge

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think Chytil and Andersson are really good prospects, but remember that the spread in terms of experience etc is pretty huge in this tournament. There is a big difference between being 17-18 and 22-23. We sent Kristo and Immonen for example when they where 23 y/o. Oscar Lindberg was 22 y/o.

Those players can of course on some level contribute so much more overall than a 17 y/o like Chytil can even if the later is a better prospect. So I agree with the notion that we are OK up front, far from great. Gropp was a non-factor last season and Gettinger struggled to keep up, both are a year older but won't be top players at this level. We have 3 guys on defense who I think will be very solid in Bereglazov, Pionk and Pedrie. Day and Zboro will be OK, but also not standouts in any way.

cwede- I don't know, I think that Gernander always made odd choices when it came to sitting some kids. Don't think we will see any of say the top 15 guys sit. Gernander is not the coach anymore, I think it will show.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Gropp, Kovac and Stromwall were three of the better forwards last year. Now they are a year older but further down on the depth chart. Zboro and Day should also be better and they are also coming back while behind Bereglazov, Pionk and maybe Pedrie on the depth chart. This will be a much better squad than in the last few years.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Zborovskiy is really just a JAG, so I'd be pretty pissed if he was a standout. It'd mean that guys like Bear Gloves, Pionk, and Day all really disappointed.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Again we look pretty good, but in a short tournament with a mish-mash of players it's all about developing instant chemistry or having a goalie or forward completely take over. Not the collection of talent. If someone rolls up with half their AHL squad you're at an inherent disadvantage as those guys have chemistry and system familiarity.

Literally no way to predict how we'll do. Lose the first game and you're really in front of the gun. I probably sound like a broken record now though so I'll stop, LOL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Zborovskiy is really just a JAG, so I'd be pretty pissed if he was a standout. It'd mean that guys like Bear Gloves, Pionk, and Day all really disappointed.

None of those guys are gonna be stars. Eventual NHL players should stand out in a tournament where most of these players will not play in the NHL. Thats not to say if those guys disappoint that they can't be NHL'ers, but its not a particularly high level of competition, so any NHL players in this group should be doing well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad