2017 NHL Draft | 4:00 PM | United Center | NBCSN

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Glass, Valimaki, Liljegren looks like a solid foundation. Next year you grab another C.

Let the wingers come from free agency. Gusev, Dadonov, Kovalckuk from the KHL. Or there's always guys like Oshie, Okposo, etc. available every year.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Saw an interview with McPhee the other day. He looks exhausted and he was brutally honest about how they're rushing to prepare for the 1st round with 3 selections.

If I were to guess I'd say it's doubtful Vegas has 3 selections tonight, even with Methot as a bargaining chip.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Welcome to the league Golden Knights fans, and happy draft day! Got my final top 62 and mock drafts up on my site, if you get a chance give them a look and let me know what you think! With 3 picks in the top 15, should be a fun night for you guys!

http://soupsonsports.com/2017/06/23/2017-nhl-draft-top-62-prospects-june-23rd/

http://soupsonsports.com/2017/06/23/2017-nhl-mock-draft-5-0/

I like the Glass pick. :naughty:
Not so hot on the Rasmussen pick. I'd rather have Thomas or Tolvanen to be honest.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Assuming Hischier/Patrick/Heiskanen are the top 3 I'd be happy with any of Pettersson/Vilardi/Glass at 6 in that order. Some combo of Liljegren/Suzuki/Valimaki/Vesalainen/Foote at 13 and 15.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Here's how my ideal day would go today. We keep all three picks....this is the ideal draft to keep all three instead of moving up anyways. Draft a dman at #6, whichever one the scouts like more though I'm leaning more towards Heiskanen or Liljegren than Makar because I don't think we can afford a potential bust in the top-10 even if he's got higher potential than the other two. Then at 13 and 15, draft best player available but if they take a forward with the 6th pick then I'd lean towards a dman with both 13 and 15.

Reason I want a dman at 6 and would be fine with forwards at 13 and 15 is that I really like the group of forwards available at 13 and 15 and see some of the other ones that are ranked at around 5 or 7 as a bit overrated plus I'm sure one will fall, maybe a Tippett. I don't think that the three top dmen make it past 8 or 9. I also think it's extremely beneficial to have dmen developing in the system at the same time or before the forwards so things line-up well. Next year's draft lottery pick if we're bad, is looking a lot nicer and it would be nice to just be able to draft the best possible player there rather than worrying about position so I want the dman this year. With Heiskanen and Liljegren, I see two guys with fairly solid potential and a 2nd pairing floor.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I think this is unlikely unless Law Vegas is willing to move one of their other first rounders. Even then, New Jersey might not bite. Philly has no reason to either and the 3-6 picks many believe are all in the same ballpark as each other. McPhee probably wants to keep as many picks as possible, anyway, to stock up an actually empty pipeline, so giving up picks would be a tough call for him.

I will say that, in a scenario similar to the one you out forward, the 6th, 34th and a good young prospect like Theodore, Tuch or maybe Karlsson might make New Jersey do a deal where LV holds on to three first rounders and moves up.

Oh New Jersey would bite. They need blueline depth in their system, and this draft has 3 of them that will likely go top ten (i.e. they get one of them at 6 most likely), and the talent in the teens is good for whatever else they want.

But again I don't think it's likely for obvious reasons. So yeah, it's more of a possibility than a likelihood.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I like the Glass pick. :naughty:
Not so hot on the Rasmussen pick. I'd rather have Thomas or Tolvanen to be honest.

If they were to get both Glass and Rasmussen (who will probably not get by the Kings) with their first two picks, I believe I would need some "personal" time shortly thereafter.

In the teens another guy who George will undoubtedly like is Kostin. But like every prospect in this particular draft it's impossible to determine where he will go. This one's going to be wild dudes.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Oh and while I'm thinking about projected arrival speed with these guys, I'll give props again to Owen Tippett there at 6. I realize all your heads will explode at the suggestion with him being a winger, but he's going to be a quick study in the AHL and his game will translate quickly.

The more I think about how Vegas might be approaching this thing, the more I think readiness to play factors in. Don't sleep on him as a possibility and if Vegas goes that route it's because they think he'll be able to get to the big club quickly and is a fit with speed and skill.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Oh and while I'm thinking about projected arrival speed with these guys, I'll give props again to Owen Tippett there at 6. I realize all your heads will explode at the suggestion with him being a winger, but he's going to be a quick study in the AHL and his game will translate quickly.

The more I think about how Vegas might be approaching this thing, the more I think readiness to play factors in. Don't sleep on him as a possibility and if Vegas goes that route it's because they think he'll be able to get to the big club quickly and is a fit with speed and skill.

Tippett can't even play in the AHL for 2 years. It's either NHL or CHL for him the next 2 years. Vilardi is the only guy that will be available at 6 that IMO could definitely play in the NHL next year. You need to take guys out of Europe if you want to immediately bring them over to play in the AHL.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

I'm okay with the Knights leaving everyone down to develop for a year or two. Really, however long it takes. We're not going to get the 18 year old star this year, don't run them down trying to get them to Las Vegas too quickly.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Tippett can't even play in the AHL for 2 years. It's either NHL or CHL for him the next 2 years. Vilardi is the only guy that will be available at 6 that IMO could definitely play in the NHL next year. You need to take guys out of Europe if you want to immediately bring them over to play in the AHL.

Good point on Tippett and the AHL, got ahead of myself a bit there. Just observing that his skill set is going to translate quickly to the NHL.

And re: Vilardi I think he's going to need some skating work. He's got the size and hands, but the skating is probably going to take a little time in my estimation.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I'm okay with the Knights leaving everyone down to develop for a year or two. Really, however long it takes. We're not going to get the 18 year old star this year, don't run them down trying to get them to Las Vegas too quickly.

Nobody wants to see us rush a prospect, to include myself, as that way lies madness. But there is definitely a difference in these guys in terms of how long their windows will be before they can reasonably compete to win a roster spot.

And I'm not saying, for example, that they won't take Makar. I am just saying the fact that he's going to need more dev time will probably factor in with their decision making when you have a group of guys who are all similar in ceilings.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Listening to Power Play on Sirius NHL and one of the guests (think it was Sam Costentino) mentioned he felt Vegas was likely to make a splash and they discussed not only the top two spots but also Dallas at 3.

In regard to Dallas at 3, remember they have big interest in Methot. I don't think Vegas would be overly interested in 3 per se, but I would have to think if they're still talking with Dallas a move-up would be part of it.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015

Tweet tags hate me lol. Dreger on Vegas reportedly trying to move up.

Last edited by a moderator:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I have a high regard for the scouts in NJ and Philadelphia. It will be interesting to see what they do, and if they have any desire to trade down.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Lots of ways to get into that top 3. All the picks could package themselves or...

Rumor is Snow wants two 1sts for Hamonic. Would you move 13 + 15 for Hamonic + forward prospect and then flip Hamonic + 2nd rounder for the 1st overall?

Then you get Patrick or Nico, and hope Makar or Heiskanen is there at 6.

Potential to come out of the draft with a 1C and 1D down the line.

Or Methot + 6 or Methot + 13 +15 or something like that to get to 3 and then add a second to get into the top two.

In both scenarios, you could get the safe bet in Patrick / Nico, and go boom / bust with the other pick(s) like Makar at 6, or Petersson / Necas /Tippett etc. with the mid firsts.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I realize there's a relationship with Patrick and the LV front office, but how much do you give up to get a guy that apparently has health issues? Especially when you can have a quantity draft (which we need) during a weak draft year and are still likely to have a decent shot at the lottery next year?

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Lots of ways to get into that top 3. All the picks could package themselves or...

Rumor is Snow wants two 1sts for Hamonic. Would you move 13 + 15 for Hamonic + forward prospect and then flip Hamonic + 2nd rounder for the 1st overall?

Then you get Patrick or Nico, and hope Makar or Heiskanen is there at 6.

Potential to come out of the draft with a 1C and 1D down the line.

Or Methot + 6 or Methot + 13 +15 or something like that to get to 3 and then add a second to get into the top two.

In both scenarios, you could get the safe bet in Patrick / Nico, and go boom / bust with the other pick(s) like Makar at 6, or Petersson / Necas /Tippett etc. with the mid firsts.

That doesn't get you 1. I think the only road to Nolan is Methot + 6 for 3. Then 3 + a 2nd for 1. This is assuming NJ is only moving down because they were taking Makar anyways.

All in all I'd rather just pick where we're at.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
@derriko: the only move up I would consider of higher than longshot possibility would be Methot and the 6th overall for the 3rd overall. Dallas still gets a good blueliner in the top ten, maybe even the guy they wanted at 3 for that matter, and add a guy who helps them now. Vegas, meanwhile, gets their pick of a slew of guys with similar grades which would be nice. Or could move up again from there.

@BattleBorn: those same health issues are the reason that pick is up for grabs. If he didn't have injury questions we wouldn't see Hischier being talked about as the top pick right now. Patrick--if healthy--is the better player and his skills should translate pretty quickly. What I like about him is he played through hernia and complications, without too much dropoff, that he has a long sample size even before that, and that he comes from an athletic and hockey family. Bloodlines brother.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad