Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Thought this was interesting:

CHIEFS_VS_AMERICANS_10.JPG.jpg

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This is an Internet forum, I really couldn't care less if you took what I said seriously or not.

Well then continue making noise.

Just wondering who the last small forward we took in the 1st round was? Seems to one of your biggest complaints.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Hint: No player we draft, in any position, is likely to play their entire career here.

Including Connor McDavid.

Afaic that's a pattern that needs to change. McDavid would be a great place to start.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
46 PIMS this year? He better work on that if he wants to win the Lady Byng over Johnny

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What has a lower value than a small winger in an NHL trade?

If someone saying that small wingers have the least value is beyond stupid and the dumbest thing you have seen, then you need to enlighten yourself.

Why are you talking about trade value? They literally just drafted the kid.

I get the trepidation about his size but with speed, skill and smarts like this kid has and what appears to be an usually high level of determination based on his combine results, I'd wager that he has a good chance to succeed in the NHL.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Who was the last winger who was drafted by the Oilers and played his whole career here?

Sorry but I'm getting sick of drafting all these wingers and then getting scraps for them 5 years later.

Sick of it.

You had never heard of the player until tonight, so maybe you should see him play a minute first, no?

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
This guy will make us forget about Eberle in fairly short order, IMO (a couple years, max). I was really, really hoping for DeBrincat in last year's draft, and think he would've done so, as well, in shorter order, but this is still a great pick. Size doesn't matter so much for scoring wingers anymore. Look at all of the Pens' short wingers: Guentzel, Sheary, Hagelin, Rust, and even Honqvist are all under 6 feet tall. They did just find with those wingers in the playoffs, plus a motley crew of D. Seems you need strong C, speedy skilled wingers who aren't gutless and can actually score when it matters (read: in the playoffs), D who can just move the puck up, and a really good goalie to have success in the playoffs; when the REAL season starts. But those speedy wingers have to be willing to make some hits, take some hits, and block some shots. I think small wingers who are ONLY good for 20-25 goals a year, and literally nothing else, are useless in the playoffs, so I personally wont miss Eberle at all. I'll hope for better from Yamamoto and Strome.

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
Edmonton fans, congrats on a great selection. I've lived in Spokane for the past ten years and catch a handful of games a year. Only one other Chief has come close to having the same impact as Yamamoto and that was Tyler Johnson. Yamamoto absolutely dominates on both ends of the ice. Fearless, high character player. You'll be very happy with this pick.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
You had never heard of the player until tonight, so maybe you should see him play a minute first, no?

Says who?

I've never once said said anything negative about the player.

I don't like the drafting strategy, but the player I do have time for.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
There's another diminutive guy who played in Spokane who had a great career in the NHL as well. Ray Whitney. No reason to think that Yamamoto won't make the team and contribute in the future even at his size.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Yamamoto will be an extreme hit or miss IMO, his NHLE is excellent for someone like him ~34 points BUT McDavid can boost that up a bit ;)

He is the most extreme boom or bust in the draft, but his boom would pay the Oil handsomely (think Marchand)
Or he could be a bust (think Schremp)

His size is the only downside BUT if he is insulated by our already big lineup, he succeeds IMO, that's how Marchand succeeded.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's the highest scoring player in the draft (points and PPG) is he not?

McKenzie just said Yamamoto finished in the top 1% in all the strength contests at the combine.

"Don't let the size fool you" says Bob.

Sam Bennett couldn't do one pull-up. Yamamoto did 12 and finished 2nd amongst all prospects.

He finished 1st on VO2 max, and had a bunch of other impressive scores.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2017-nhl-combine-results-top-10-drill/

Looks like the most fit kid in the draft.

1st in VO2 Max, 2nd in Pro Agility left & right, 3rd in peak power, 4th in mean power, 6th in pull-ups and 15th in bench press.

Not bad for a tiny guy.

Nice. It's not always about size. It sounds like he really gets that he's got to work for it at his size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad