2017/2018 Management Discussion | NEW MOD WARNING IN OP AS OF 5/20/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
You finally got something right. Why would the Canucks pay anyone to infiltrate a third rate message board that is an echo chamber for angry millennials who think that building a hockey team is like playing on X box.

Yeah, straight from Jimbo, "GMing is hard... I thought I could turn it around in a hurry... but it's hard. My thumbs are sore."

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You finally got something right. Why would the Canucks pay anyone to infiltrate a third rate message board that is an echo chamber for angry millennials who think that building a hockey team is like playing on X box.
What are the ways Canuck's management gauges the feelings of their fan base? I would expect there is an employee responsible for determining what the fans are thinking, so the team can better sell their product, no? I would think following message boards about one's business would be good practice, no?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Canucks were the worst team in the league the past 3 years.
We are supposed to be rebuilding, which (I think) is best done through the draft. It's a good thing we are bad; we get higher picks. Now those picks are starting to come into our team. We will really start to improve soon:)

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I hope that report from Botchford that "people around the league believe that the person behind the 'Benning on Empty' webcomic works for the team" is true. It means that actual hockey officials think that this comic has so much validity it could only be made by someone on the inside :laugh:

Reactions: Jyrki21

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Forget talk about the playoffs. It doesn’t matter that Benning actually mentions the playoffs in any given season. He’s clearly out of his mind on that front. It’s being competitive that’s the issue. The Canucks’ front office operates like this is a bubble team, when it’s actually a bottom feeder. That’s why this regime is criticized and mocked.

- They don’t sell heavy at the deadline.

- They buy suspect FAs instead of running with prospects in those positions.

- They chase and lionize role players like a playoff team would (Sutter and Gudbranson).

- They rarely have a surplus of picks, and it’s not their focus.

- They spend to the cap normally without actually weaponizing their cap space.

All in the guise of being competitive - as if other bottom feeders who rebuild properly are not equally as competitive while still having much more in assets...?
I quite agree with this. What really frustrates me most about this is the lack of draft picks we've acquired. Piss poor for a rebuilding team.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Canucks were the worst team in the league the past 3 years.
Totally aware of that..After a great run of teams for the better part of a decade,the core was old and the prospect pool was empty...the cycle had ended...Worst team in the league and bottoming out is precisely where they should be...I don't understand why thats such a negative

Reactions: Nomobo

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If Mike Milbury was bad at his job, why was he hired?
If Donald Trump is bad at his job, why did America vote for him?

Your whole premise is based on the fact that people are all smart, rational, and never make mistakes.
Seems like your platform is based on people only making mistakes, no? Aqualini made a fortune in business making excellent decisions. Why would you assume he’s not making the right choices? Wouldn’t it make more sense that JB deserved the extension, because Aqualini makes good decisions?

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Totally aware of that..After a great run of teams for the better part of a decade,the core was old and the prospect pool was empty...the cycle had ended...Worst team in the league and bottoming out is precisely where they should be...I don't understand why thats such a negative
Theres a difference between being the worst while actively trying to acquire young pieces, and beings the worst while actively trying to make the playoffs.

They were the latter, which is pathetic.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Theres a difference between being the worst while actively trying to acquire young pieces, and beings the worst while actively trying to make the playoffs.

They were the latter, which is pathetic.
I agree this was the case until the 2017 TDL. After that, I think the mantra from management was to be competitive in every game.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
For the record, I don't really think there's an organized and paid astroturfing thing happening. But I do think it's highly likely that organization members and their family/friends are spamming a site like this of their own initiative. Again, one extremely pro-Benning account on this site has actually identified himself as Benning's cousin (and props for being honest at least).

Unfortunately, and I can say this from experience, that PR teams do use people to pass the message. I have a membership card (I don't know the exact term, because that isn't a season ticket, it's just a fee we pay every month to have the right to vote in the elections for the president and in the budget, for example) for 34 years for my Sporting. I don't know if you or any of you follow the news recently but some morons decided to attack the players after the Board publicly trashed the players (3 of them are in the Portugal's National Team). In order to change the perception of what they Board did, they (PR team, controlled by an enterprise where I do some consulting) hired 45 additional people to make Facebook accounts, Twitter accounts, and Board accounts all across the internet. The team of "opinion makers" now has almost 100 people (almost 800 accounts), who simply pass the message that the Board wants. This is just an example, and the PR people really want to control the perception of the common supporter. That's why you have several new accounts popping up on this board after deadline meltdowns, failed trades, or poor management decisions. Of course, there's also people who don't think by their own head and accept that everything this management group does is gold...

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Seems like your platform is based on people only making mistakes, no? Aqualini made a fortune in business making excellent decisions. Why would you assume he’s not making the right choices? Wouldn’t it make more sense that JB deserved the extension, because Aqualini makes good decisions?

All the nhl owners are quite successful. Why would being successful mean that Aquilini is making the right choices? Are all nhl owners always making the right choices? There has to be successful nhl owners who are making better decisions than the others... In a competition amongst successful people, all the successful people don't always make decisions that lead to success.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
All the nhl owners are quite successful. Why would being successful mean that Aquilini is making the right choices? Are all nhl owners always making the right choices? There has to be successful nhl owners who are making better decisions than the others... In a competition amongst successful people, all the successful people don't always make decisions that lead to success.
Maybe Aquilini is making the right choice though? Maybe he likes the direction of our team, and the young players? We do have an excellent prospect pool, and that’s due to JB.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Maybe Aquilini is making the right choice though? Maybe he likes the direction of our team, and the young players? We do have an excellent prospect pool, and that’s due to JB.

That's due to JB being absolutely terrible at his job, completely failing in what he intended to do, and the NHL rewarding his incompetence with high picks he didn't think he needed when he finished with a bottom-3 team with a roster built to compete.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

If Aquilini likes being a bottom feeder, and isn't concerned about being a playoff team sooner rather than later, then he is making the right choice for him.

How many more years should Aquilini be patient for results? 2 more years? 5 more? 10 more? 25 more? Eventually, everyone's (even Aquilini's) patience should run out.

There comes a point when you, yourself, will turn on Jim Benning.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That's due to JB being absolutely terrible at his job, completely failing in what he intended to do, and the NHL rewarding his incompetence with high picks he didn't think he needed when he finished with a bottom-3 team with a roster built to compete.
Okay, but (maybe?) that failure ended up better for the team in the long run, and Aquilini realizes that. We do have a fabulous prospect pool, and that’s JB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad