Injury Report: 2017/18 Puck off the Foot Report (Upshall out indefinitely)

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
cubs-meme-always-next-year.jpg

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
First off, that's very scary given the area in question. If its re-injurying this quickly, it might not have healed strong and will bother him for his career. So I am worried for Fabbri more so than the team. I hope its minor and a precaution.

Secondly, at what point with all these injuries, do we look at signing Jagr or another vet looking for a spot? I don't think I trust enough of our young guys to fill out the top 9 on opening day, aside from Blais. Thomas, Thompson and Kostin are all close, but all need some work. We do have Bennett, Sunqvist, Jaskin, Paajarvi who can all play 3rd line, but that's just a whole lot of meh offensively.

I don't think we are there yet. I think we let Blais and another kid, either Kostin or Thomas, take their shot. Then if they struggle or we, god forbid, get another injury, we have to look at the market for a vet.

Also, we need to fire our trainer/strength and conditioning coach/whoever is in charge of keeping these players healthy because he sucks. Flukes happen and we are never the most injured club, but we are always one of the most injured. We are always dealing with injuries in bunches.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
This isn't uncommon for somebody who is only 7 months post surgery from ACL. This is a major injury and takes 12-18 months to be fully healed. My daughter plays D1 soccer and went through this same injury.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Is there any same kind of injury record in NHL who had ACL surgery? Does this have affect his develope curve?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Is there any same kind of injury record in NHL who had ACL surgery? Does this have affect his develope curve?

As long as he didnt re-tear it, he'll be fine. Just have to take it slower. I was hoping he wouldn't play for the first couple of months to be safe. You don't want to rush this injury.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I really hope it's nothing serious. Fabbri is a huge piece to this team moving forward, this is not looking good for his career.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
They did say he was dealing with scar tissue before, right? Automatically saying he'll be re-evaluated in ten days sounds bad, but it seems like it could easily be torn scar tissue instead of more ligament damage.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
He sounded fine post game, no one mentioned him limping, and he played 19+min without any sign of discomfort. As of now.....it doesnt sound like its a death sentence. Hopefully this is just precationary

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
He sounded fine post game, no one mentioned him limping, and he played 19+min without any sign of discomfort. As of now.....it doesnt sound like its a death sentence. Hopefully this is just precationary

Yeah it could just be the knee being stiff the next day after playing his first competitive game and they want to give him time to rest it.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Fabbri came back really quick from the injury. Maybe too quick. It is often a 12 month rehab. Hopefully just swelling/scar tissue and either rest or scope to clean up. As long as he didn't retear ligament, this is a setback but isn't necessarily awful.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Fabbri came back really quick from the injury. Maybe too quick. It is often a 12 month rehab. Hopefully just swelling/scar tissue and either rest or scope to clean up. As long as he didn't retear ligament, this is a setback but isn't necessarily awful.

I'm nervous as hell about it, but it does seem like they wouldn't do the long wait if they thought it was torn. They'd be able to see that within a day or two.

Right? Right??????

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Grrrr ... I was nervous about Fabbri being back so soon in the first place. :(. I hope he takes it super cautiously. At this point, I don't care how long he's out. Ffs, stay out 'till Christmas if you need to, just let that thing heal completely!

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
ACL surgery and recovery has come a long way.
His procedure used a bone tendon bone graft with the donor being his patellar tendon. That has an extremely low failure rate compared to the artificial/cadaver/hamstring harvest methods of the past. Most high level athletes are back to full rehab within 6 months now.

Chances are it’s swollen and they are just taking precautions as we do technically have time to be bought with it being preseason.

The fact there was no obvious injury or signs of injury after the game means a failure of the graft is very very low.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
ACL surgery and recovery has come a long way.
His procedure used a bone tendon bone graft with the donor being his patellar tendon. That has an extremely low failure rate compared to the artificial/cadaver/hamstring harvest methods of the past. Most high level athletes are back to full rehab within 6 months now.

Chances are it’s swollen and they are just taking precautions as we do technically have time to be bought with it being preseason.

The fact there was no obvious injury or signs of injury after the game means a failure of the graft is very very low.

Sounds like you are familiar with the procedure. The other day they talked about him not practicing and some possible scar tissue. Would a MRI show this? Seems like doctors only giving him a 10 day re-evaluation timeframe is a positive thing on the grand scheme of things.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Sounds like you are familiar with the procedure. The other day they talked about him not practicing and some possible scar tissue. Would a MRI show this? Seems like doctors only giving him a 10 day re-evaluation timeframe is a positive thing on the grand scheme of things.

Scar tissue is definitely visible on mri. It is present but only serves to make seeing healthy tissue or acute injuries tougher to see. It’s not really something like a ligament that is an organized linear structure it just fills in everywhere. Particularly over the incision site.

From my experience with ACLs you’re going to know if it’s torn just on exam alone. But if there’s enough swelling that can mask joint laxity.

If they are waiting ten days he’s not torn. That timeline would be much more rapid, he would have had an mri this weekend and they’d know the course of action.

I suspect he’s just sore as heck, swollen and tight and they are resting him for the games that matter.

To be remembered though, they said yesterday was a planned maintenance, then today they release this statement, so the blues aren’t above lying about his condition even if they know he needs to have acl revision.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Scar tissue is definitely visible on mri. It is present but only serves to make seeing healthy tissue or acute injuries tougher to see. It’s not really something like a ligament that is an organized linear structure it just fills in everywhere. Particularly over the incision site.

From my experience with ACLs you’re going to know if it’s torn just on exam alone. But if there’s enough swelling that can mask joint laxity.

If they are waiting ten days he’s not torn. That timeline would be much more rapid, he would have had an mri this weekend and they’d know the course of action.

I suspect he’s just sore as heck, swollen and tight and they are resting him for the games that matter.

To be remembered though, they said yesterday was a planned maintenance, then today they release this statement, so the blues aren’t above lying about his condition even if they know he needs to have acl revision.

I suspect it is THIS. If he re-tore it, they'd know, and he wouldn't be re-evaluated in 10 days. They just decided to let the swelling come down, and remove any risk of aggravating it in games that don't count, in which they need to see young players to evaluate them.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Welp, this is just getting absurd.

I'm very, very hopeful that this is precautionary based on soreness and nothing more. However, we're also Blues fans so part of me is assuming that he is never going to skate again.

This has been such a mixed bag of a preseason. I can't remember any preseason where the Blues have seen this many injuries to NHL guys. On the flip side, everything I have seen on the ice is filling me with excitement. More young guys are making the case for themselves than I expected and my favorite prospect (Husso) did everything he could do to show that he is on track. Barring the injuries I'm extremely excited about the roster this year and the future appears bright. But man the injuries are making things tough.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Sucks for the kid. Almost can't cant believe it, but I can because it's the Blues.

Hopefully this isn't serious. If it is, I'm worried about his career. He's a great player but if there's one thing that can hold him back...injuries.

If I was the Blues I'd start looking at outside help. Right now we are relying on about 4 forwards to carry the load. I saw a projected lineup today that had both Sobotka and Jaskin on the 2nd line, and Oskar freakin Sundqvist was centering our 3rd line. Yikes. This cannot happen.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Sucks for the kid. Almost can't cant believe it, but I can because it's the Blues.

Hopefully this isn't serious. If it is, I'm worried about his career. He's a great player but if there's one thing that can hold him back...injuries.

If I was the Blues I'd start looking at outside help. Right now we are relying on about 4 forwards to carry the load. I saw a projected lineup today that had both Sobotka and Jaskin on the 2nd line, and Oskar freakin Sundqvist was centering our 3rd line. Yikes. This cannot happen.

It depends on how long/bad the injuries are to Steen and Fabbri. I didn't love the projected lineup you're referring to because I thought there was a better internal option or two and I'd much rather see barby center the 3rd line (he was LW on the 3rd line in that projection). But regardless, that type of lineup would be fine for a few games. If Steen and Fabbri are both out for several weeks of the regular season, then I agree about trying to get a guy like Jagr. But if both will be close to a return (or back in the lineup) by October 10, then I don't think it's necessary. I'm sure the organization has a much better idea of their realistic time frame than we do.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Right, you can tell if a knee is blown out, just by doing a simple exam, the MRI is just the confirmation needed that is required. Basically when you pull on the knee in a certain way, different for each ligament, you'll be able to test if the ligament is there keeping the knee in place or if nothing is there and the knee is unstable.

This most likely is just some routine swelling. Same thing happened to me when I returned from my ACL to college Lacrosse in a similar timeframe.

Typically at this point in the recovery, the knee is structurally sound to return, but it still takes a little time to get the knee use to the demands that it will be put through. It's different for everyone, some can come back immediately, and some need to ease it back in.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
This was so depressing to read today. Heard it first on NHL Network Radio and wanted to cry in my truck. Yuge loss.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Has to be tough mentally on Fabbri to sit out for the entire year after working so hard. Good opportunity for one of our young guys to step up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad