2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Kings are still clearly a very competent defensive team, from Quick all the way up.

The Kings had a smoking hot PP in 2011 against the Canucks, and still lost. A hot PP alone rarely wins series.

See TB. Their top 4 scorers against Washington were Stamkos, Point, Kucherov, and Hedman. They had 6, 6, 5, and 5 points in the 7 games. Stamkos had 0 points at ES, Point and Kucherov had 2 each, and Hedman had 1. They got to Game 7, but were shut out completely in the last two games.

Fingolfin

Mar 9, 2003
Costa Mesa, CA
Kings are still clearly a very competent defensive team, from Quick all the way up.
I actually think this is debatable. The Kings are very good at keeping the puck out of their net (see Jennings Trophy), but are terrible at getting the puck out of their zone. The latter problem puts way more strain on the team, making the former even more impressive; as well as detracting from the overall team offense.

I would like to see the Kings trade one or two of their shot blocking defensemen for players who can control the puck and pass/skate it out of the zone with possession. The "chip up the boards -> turnover -> more defensive zone time" thing is terrible.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I actually think this is debatable. The Kings are very good at keeping the puck out of their net (see Jennings Trophy), but are terrible at getting the puck out of their zone. The latter problem puts way more strain on the team, making the former even more impressive; as well as detracting from the overall team offense.

I would like to see the Kings trade one or two of their shot blocking defensemen for players who can control the puck and pass/skate it out of the zone with possession. The "chip up the boards -> turnover -> more defensive zone time" thing is terrible.

I think addressing Winger Speed will help this. A faster Winger can find holes quicker so that the D have someone to pass to. If the winger is covered it makes it extremely tough on the D.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

That would be JQ (and last year Budaj) more than the Kings. They are a good defensive team but having Quick back there is all the difference.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
That would be JQ (and last year Budaj) more than the Kings. They are a good defensive team but having Quick back there is all the difference.

I would be curious to see home plate shots against per game that LA allows vs other teams. Not sure if that is even the right term for it anymore.

Quick is a top level Goalie and LA is very lucky to have him, however I think the group in front does a great job at shot suppression. At least it looks that way to me.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I would be curious to see home plate shots against per game that LA allows vs other teams. Not sure if that is even the right term for it anymore.

Quick is a top level Goalie and LA is very lucky to have him, however I think the group in front does a great job at shot suppression. At least it looks that way to me.

This year, they did not. You can give up shots and have good defense, though. But despite the last several years where we were dominant at both generating and suppressing shot attempts, this year, we were 16th in high-danger shot attempts against, and bottom 10 in shot attempts against.

This is where my complaints about "what's the system?" stem from. What's our identity? We're not a possession team anymore. We're not playing pond hockey. We're more like the Terry Murray teams than anything where we get crushed in possession and try to score on a few chances. It was better in closer games, but I don't think anyone on this board can define what this team does well, they're just so mediocre at everything with a couple of gamebreakers and one of them happens to be JQ.

It's doubly-frustrating because they started the year as a team that was ok with losing possession a little bit in the name of taking a few more dangerous chances but that dissipated a bit as the year went on culminating with a failed attempt at a return to Sutterhockey in the playoffs, they played about 4 periods of that then the remainder of the series was the 2016 playoffs all over.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Apparently there are rumors that Phil Kessel may be on the trading block. He would be a huge add for the Kings. It could work cap wise if the Kings trade Muzzin or Martinez as a main piece in the deal. With the $4 million offset, Kessel's cap hit will work. If the Pens want a forward in return, we won't work as trading partners, as they will want Kempe or Vilardi in a package.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
This year, they did not. You can give up shots and have good defense, though. But despite the last several years where we were dominant at both generating and suppressing shot attempts, this year, we were 16th in high-danger shot attempts against, and bottom 10 in shot attempts against.

This is where my complaints about "what's the system?" stem from. What's our identity? We're not a possession team anymore. We're not playing pond hockey. We're more like the Terry Murray teams than anything where we get crushed in possession and try to score on a few chances. It was better in closer games, but I don't think anyone on this board can define what this team does well, they're just so mediocre at everything with a couple of gamebreakers and one of them happens to be JQ.

It's doubly-frustrating because they started the year as a team that was ok with losing possession a little bit in the name of taking a few more dangerous chances but that dissipated a bit as the year went on culminating with a failed attempt at a return to Sutterhockey in the playoffs, they played about 4 periods of that then the remainder of the series was the 2016 playoffs all over.

16th high danger shot attempts is a lot worse than I expected. Thank you for Sharing.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Apparently there are rumors that Phil Kessel may be on the trading block. He would be a huge add for the Kings. It could work cap wise if the Kings trade Muzzin or Martinez as a main piece in the deal. With the $4 million offset, Kessel's cap hit will work. If the Pens want a forward in return, we won't work as trading partners, as they will want Kempe or Vilardi in a package.
Martinez and our 1st I would do with little hesitation. A prospect of some tier could be added if Pittsburgh can retain on Kessel’s cap. Don’t like giving up futures, but if you want an impact winger, he’s one of the best.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Martinez and our 1st I would do with little hesitation. A prospect of some tier could be added if Pittsburgh can retain on Kessel’s cap. Don’t like giving up futures, but if you want an impact winger, he’s one of the best.

Don't know if that would get it done, I was thinking Martinez, Toffoli and a prospect for Kessel with 2 mil retention,

Role with,

Iafallo, Kopitarl, Brown
Pearson, Carter, Kessel

Or move Pearson up etc, have some options etc.

Be nice to keep Toffoli, I just don't know if you can with salary cap, and to get him

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan

I am opposed to the idea of trading a 1st, but I would trade this year's 1st for Kessel, along with Martinez in a package. He is the type of game changing forward this team needs. It would be interesting to see him on a line with Carter and Kempe, and have a third line of Pearson-Amadio-Toffoli.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Don't know if that would get it done, I was thinking Martinez, Toffoli and a prospect for Kessel with 2 mil retention,

Role with,

Iafallo, Kopitarl, Brown
Pearson, Carter, Kessel

Or move Pearson up etc, have some options etc.

Be nice to keep Toffoli, I just don't know if you can with salary cap, and to get him
I actually thought of Toffoli and Martinez after I posted as well. Would be mostly okay with that as well.

Fingolfin

Mar 9, 2003
Costa Mesa, CA
I think addressing Winger Speed will help this. A faster Winger can find holes quicker so that the D have someone to pass to. If the winger is covered it makes it extremely tough on the D.
I would simplify this to better wingers. They don't have to be fast if they're smart, as long as they get open. That said, the Kings' breakout has traditionally gone through the center anyway, so that would need to be addressed. Also, I lost count of how many times a defenseman (or back-checking forward) blindly chipped the puck up the board. Whether it's the system or the personnel, being able to control the puck with an eye to making a proper breakout play needs to be addressed.

I consider the transition a part of offense, not defense, even though defensemen are involved.

But yes, our transition consistently fell apart this year unless Doughty or Kopitar were carrying the puck past the red line.
That's part of the tradeoff though, isn't it? Do I want a defense (whole team) that is good at suppressing shots? Or do I want a defense that lets the goalie make the first save and is good at recovering/transitioning? The Kings used to be the latter, now they're pretty much the former. In order for the team to play "faster", I think they need to get back to the recover & transition mentality.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Man, I am so glad I was wrong about Kopitar after the end 2016-17 season. Kopitar tore it up last year. I was f***ing scared since he looked so off the entire year.

I wish he could have done better in the playoffs, but he carried the team last year so it's understandable he was gassed. I hope he has a similar performance upcoming season.

He needs better support. We say this every year.

Reactions: SlimCharles

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Without speed or aggression the dump and chase is totally dead. The Kings lack both qualities in the majority of their forwards.

This. Most of the Kings forwards are not great at creating offense...and / or their own chances. I know that Kempe is not a wizard with the puck, but he was at least creating his own chances and
produced on line 2....his slump was once Carter came back and he was relegated to third line....so he goes to the World's and had 2 goals 6 assists 8 pts in 10 games with tournament champion Team Sweden. Has exceeded most everyone's expectations from 1 year ago today, when most thought he would be lucky to make the team. Point? He's 21 and will get better. Think he should be top 6 and
left there. Both Pearson and Toffoli looked bleh the last several games and I would not be disappointed if either were packaged somewhere. I was hoping for a bit more from Rieder and not sure
what to think of him...Iafallo did as well / better than anyone expected and think he will only get better...just not sure how much. Would be good to have a third line that could produce about 10 more
goals. That alone could be 2-4 more wins and that's big. Hoping that Vilardi makes it and is the best rookie forward since Kopi.

I think the Kings need to draft the MOST talented forward at #20 and think Kotkaniemi, Kupari, Lundestrom, Kaut, Kravstov or Denisenko should be targets.
Think that at least 2 of them could fall to #20.

2018 NHL Mock Draft | 2018 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad