2016 Tank race for the spoils AKA Inverse Standings Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
well, the thing is - it's easy to say that now.
but as far as I can remember there were only two free GM jobs. us and them and Shanahan was working on Lou since like the season ended last year. [plus of course there were all the other players involved - McPhee (who went deep into the interview process, and "others, he won't mention to be fair to the teams involved". I don't think Chia was ever a consideration).

and honestly - good. I think he just got incredibly lucky. It will be v. interesting to see how he "fixes" Edmonton, but i wasn't really impressed with him.

I would agree with you, I don't think there was any interest there. It didn't stop some of the media & the anti Shanahan geniuses from *****ing about how could Shanahan let guys like Shero & Chiarelli sign with someone else.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I would agree with you, I don't think there was any interest there. It didn't stop some of the media & the anti Shanahan geniuses from *****ing about how could Shanahan let guys like Shero & Chiarelli sign with someone else.

99% of the time, you want to do the opposite of whatever the media in this town thinks.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

yup everyone was like OMG why would Chia want to come HERE where everyone else has been hired for him and blah blah blah, blah blah blah. Shanahan totally messed things up, blah blah blah, blah blah blah, and SHERO wants to be his own man too.

like I said. the Lou thing probably stunned me (only because who saw THAT coming) and i was concerned about how things were in Jersey, but Devils fans eased my fears and I like what he's doing

so here's a question for people

Do y'all think we'll still go after mcCrimmon when the CHL playoffs are over? or do think we/him time is over.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Maybe we should have tanked last year during the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes? Instead our fans mocked the Buffalo and Edmonton organizations. Oh well - life goes on.

Lol wtf, we were just as bad if not worse last year. If you were to place the current roster vs the roster at this time of the season last year, I think this year we win easily.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Maybe we should have tanked last year during the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes? Instead our fans mocked the Buffalo and Edmonton organizations. Oh well - life goes on.

WTF are you talking about? As if Tank Nation is new thing this year...

Did not say that Tank Nation is new or just a "this-year" phenomena. Think you are reading into this something that was not intended.

Last year there had to be two post game threads:
  • One for those who mourned each loss
  • A 2nd for the tankers
Must of been some people who did not believe in the Tank for that to occur, no?

Additionally, when Buffalo traded their goalie, etc. there were plenty of ppl here that admonished them for doing so. This year, we do the same things i.e., trade our goalie, vet defenders.

Yet, its somehow different than what Buffalo did. Their tank was reprehensible, ours is admirable?

Maybe Buffalo's idea was better? That's what I was talking about.

Scion

May 25, 2012
I think we finish somewhere in the bottom 4. Where within that group we finish will be up to a group of teams down the stretch: Vancouver, Edmonton, and Winnipeg.

Toronto - 10 games remain
vs. Anaheim - L
vs. Boston - L
@ Tampa - L
@ Florida - L
@ Buffalo - W
vs. Detroit - OTL
vs. Florida - L
vs. Columbus - W
@ Philly - L
@ NJ - W

7 points added for season total of 70 points

Vancouver - 10 games remain
@ Nashville - L
@ St. Louis - L
vs. Chicago - L
vs. San Jose - L
@ San Jose - L
@ Anaheim - L
vs. Los Angeles - L
@ Edmonton - OTL
@ Calgary - L
vs. Edmonton - W

3 points added for season total of 69 points

Edmonton - 6 games remain
@ San Jose - L
@ Los Angeles - L
vs. Anaheim - L
vs. Calgary - L
vs. Vancouver - W
@ Vancouver - L

2 points added for season total of 67 points

Winnipeg - 9 games remain
vs. Los Angeles - L
@ Buffalo - W
@ Philly - L
vs. Ottawa - W
vs. Chicago - L
vs. Minnesota - L
@ Anaheim - L
@ San Jose - L
@ Los Angeles - L

5 points added for season total of 70 points

Final Standings:
27. Winnipeg
28. Toronto
29. Vancouver
30. Edmonton

Looking at the schedules for Vancouver and Edmonton down the stretch compared to us, there is no way we out-tank them. I think the above is BEST case scenario. Even if I add a win for Edmonton, they still just switch spots with Vancouver for the bottom.

Luckily, I would be happy with one of Laine/Pulj/Dubois. If we finish 5 or 6 it gets more complicated. I would be inclined to trade the pick to Winnipeg for Trouba vs. picking a defender, but that is just me. I'm impatient.

You think Vancouver going on a 14 game losing streak (including the 5 they have already lost) and picking up 3 of a possible 20 points is best case scenario? LOL

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
You think Vancouver going on a 14 game losing streak (including the 5 they have already lost) and picking up 3 of a possible 20 points is best case scenario? LOL

The team is a tire fire. Watch a game. They just lost to one of three other teams that is worse than them. They just set a record for scoreless minutes that dated back to 1984. World beaters for sure.
Who are they going to beat? Chicago? Anaheim? Los Angeles? St. Louis?
Fine. Give them that Edmonton win. That's only one point that gives them 70.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
yup everyone was like OMG why would Chia want to come HERE where everyone else has been hired for him and blah blah blah, blah blah blah. Shanahan totally messed things up, blah blah blah, blah blah blah, and SHERO wants to be his own man too.

like I said. the Lou thing probably stunned me (only because who saw THAT coming) and i was concerned about how things were in Jersey, but Devils fans eased my fears and I like what he's doing

so here's a question for people

Do y'all think we'll still go after mcCrimmon when the CHL playoffs are over? or do think we/him time is over.

The Shanny doubters have no ammunition left, it is only the fringe lunatics now that suspect hidden agenda's and the end of the rebuild after a year. We still have people thinking next years pick will be on the team ignoring everything we saw with Marner and Nylander. Only Matthews would start on the team IMO.

I have never had this much confidence or this high approval rating of management ever !

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Was it ever said what job title they wanted to hire him for? Now I do remember McCrimmon turning down Shanahan because he thought Brandon had an excellent chance to win the Memorial Cup this year. So I say him coming Toronto or even if Shanahan wants to hire him all depends on how Brandon does in the playoffs. Although no one else was hired for whatever job the Leafs offered him, so I think that says something right there.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Was it ever said what job title they wanted to hire him for? Now I do remember McCrimmon turning down Shanahan because he thought Brandon had an excellent chance to win the Memorial Cup this year. So I say him coming Toronto or even if Shanahan wants to hire him all depends on how Brandon does in the playoffs. Although no one else was hired for whatever job the Leafs offered him, so I think that says something right there.

i honestly don't remember

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Isles win, nice, get within 1 point of the Pens. Rags winning with get them 4 points up, but I'd prefer if Boston could get a point too right now the Pens are 2 points up on Boston with 1 extra game to play(2 after today).

Scion

May 25, 2012
The team is a tire fire. Watch a game. They just lost to one of three other teams that is worse than them. They just set a record for scoreless minutes that dated back to 1984. World beaters for sure.
Who are they going to beat? Chicago? Anaheim? Los Angeles? St. Louis?
Fine. Give them that Edmonton win. That's only one point that gives them 70.

They are likely going to win more than that, I don't care how tough the schedule is, it is very, very hard to lose that many games. No team should be projected for a record that bad over 10 games, particularly at the end of the year when the top teams tend to rest players and not give full efforts against bottom feeders.

Frankly, I think all of your estimates are low.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The Shanny doubters have no ammunition left, it is only the fringe lunatics now that suspect hidden agenda's and the end of the rebuild after a year. We still have people thinking next years pick will be on the team ignoring everything we saw with Marner and Nylander. Only Matthews would start on the team IMO.

I have never had this much confidence or this high approval rating of management ever !

:laugh:

The future almost always looks better than the present when you're a Leafs' fan.

Not always, but almost always. We knew after going all in with Quinn, and the Cap era starting the future did not look good, but otherwise it is "wait 'til next year!"

It would not surprise me if next year the Leafs are in the group of longshot lottery teams on LD (lottery day). Already looks like Nylander could be their best center by next year, of course the competition isn't great :help:.

Depending on what happens in the summer, this could very well be a playoffs bubble team, so this draft might be their most important since 1985/1986. If they play themselves out of this it will be a lost opportunity.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
:laugh:

The future almost always looks better than the present when you're a Leafs' fan.

Not always, but almost always. We knew after going all in with Quinn, and the Cap era starting the future did not look good, but otherwise it is "wait 'til next year!"

It would not surprise me if next year the Leafs are in the group of longshot lottery teams on LD (lottery day). Already looks like Nylander could be their best center by next year, of course the competition isn't great :help:.

Depending on what happens in the summer, this could very well be a playoffs bubble team, so this draft might be their most important since 1985/1986. If they play themselves out of this it will be a lost opportunity.

I won't say playoff bubble team is impossible but I have my doubts with the number of rookies we will have and the present state of our D. Too early to say but this current goaltending is not enough to drag us to the playoffs in my opinion.

So long as they do not stray from the strategy of keeping our top picks and developing well I am not concerned. I would not consider a Stamkos signing abandoning the rebuild because of his age and how rare the opportunity is to get an asset like that for just money is. If we move up in the standings because the kids are awesome so be it, just so long as we don't start trading for rental players for our playoff run next year. The year after may be fair game depending on what Marner and Nylander manage to accomplish this coming season.

I also agree, it does look like Nylander will be our number one C by the end of next year, maybe sooner. The only things I see getting in his way are a Matthews or Stamkos acquisition.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

when the maple leafs take the ice as andy frost introduces the starting lineup, won't get fooled again blares from the loudspeakers in the rafters of the air canada centre.

Oh, the irony, considering this franchise has for the last five decades done nothing else but fool itself and its fans.

I bring it up because of the absolute positive buzz about the team's rebuilding efforts, a.k.a. The shanaplan. It has gotten praise from all corners. The buzz might be a bit out of control.

On thursday night, i attended another puck talks (a fun hockey-talk event that pops up every couple of months at a bar somewhere downtown) and the pundits on stage (friends and colleagues for whom i have a great deal of respect) each praised the leaf rebuild, giving various lengths of times at which they believed it would reach its apex.

The crowd -- mostly leaf fans, i supposed -- applauded.

The leafs -- a last-place team, one that will miss the playoffs for the 10th time in 11 years -- have gotten everyone's approval.

It's astounding. It is as if everyone has blinders on, forgetting that failure is deeply embedded into this franchise's dna.

I have no issue with the shanaplan. A rebuild from within, through the draft, is the one thing the franchise has never tried. I hope it works. I'd much rather cover a winning team than a losing one. Patience is the key.

Patience, however, is the one thing this franchise and its fanbase have lacked. It's the achilles' heel of the plan.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I'm pretty sure the fanbase is ready to have patience.

Sure there's the select few who panic after Nylander's first couple of games but I agree. I think the majority are ready to give the kids time to grow and make mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad