OT: 2016 Redskins Part X: Nobody's Perfict (4-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Kirk has been pretty bad this quarter. Staring down receivers, inaccurate throws, indecisive.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Wentz is showing Cousins what a $20+ mill QB is. Cousins is a game manager. You can win with him but not if he's taking up so much cap room that you can't surround him with a ton of talent.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Shaky ending but a really dominant performance aside from 2 big mistakes.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Wentz is showing Cousins what a $20+ mill QB is. Cousins is a game manager. You can win with him but not if he's taking up so much cap room that you can't surround him with a ton of talent.

Not sure why you brought this up. Wentz was 11/22 for 179 yards. 20 mil dollar performance?

Anyway, 12 QB's make more a year than Cousins. So for a game manager it seems like is cap hit is just about right.

http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
they rushed for like 240 yds, tho

Indeed, but 2nd to last drive they ran once and passed twice. And a couple other drives had suspect calls early on that should of ended early but were bailed out by penalties or big plays by Cousins running or extending plays for 1st downs.

Better balance today but it seems the offense hasn't hit a consistent groove yet. When it does we could have ourselves a season.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
And how about the defense? Gave up only 273 total yards, with less than 100 of those yards coming on the ground, and 5 sacks. Also held the phenom rookie QB, who should be paid 20 mil a year, to 11/22 179 yards and no TDs. Pretty good effort.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Packers uniforms :shakehead

Carolina drops to 1-5

Yeah. Packers throwbacks are meh, but still better than Pittsburgh. :help:

And Carolina is a shocker. Rescinding the franchise tag for Norman was not a wise decision. 300 yards receiving to Jones a couple weeks ago and Brees threw for 467 yards and 4 TDs today. Their pass defense is as bad as the Skins run defense. ;)

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Skins have the Lions in Detroit next week then CIN the following week in London before the bye. Skins need to go into the bye week 6-2. After the bye they get MIN, GB at home then DAL, ARZ on the road. Tough stretch.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Not sure why you brought this up. Wentz was 11/22 for 179 yards. 20 mil dollar performance?

Anyway, 12 QB's make more a year than Cousins. So for a game manager it seems like is cap hit is just about right.

http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Wentz was under a lot more pressure than Kirk was. He also had several drops. My point is that his poise and movement in the pocket is far better than Kirk's. Same with Prescott.

This business of QBs paid more; some are QBs who wouldn't be paid anywhere in the same vicinity if negotiating a contract now. Kirk has not performed to the level teams hope for when doling out that kind of money.

The QBs ahead of him are far better and far more accomplished, with perhaps the exception of Ryan (who has a much larger sample size of success). Kirk laid an egg against GB last playoffs.

Sep 19, 2008
Lucked into pretty good seats to the game today.

sgeWBnD.jpg

Anyway the Redskins did a spectacular job for three quarters of shutting down Wentz. Took an early 14-0 and remember, the Eagles tied it off a kickoff return and a pick return. Cousins generally played well other than that interception so I don't see what all the complaining is about. This team outplayed a decent Eagles team and has won 4 straight. Defense made a strong stand and largely pressured Wentz so he didn't do much except for the 4th.

Lions are tough as are Bengals but both games are definitely winnable. Didn't see us 4-2 at this time in the year so that's big. Keep winning and keep the momentum going.

Play calling is still suspect at times, a bit too pass happy

On the last drive of the 2nd quarter, it was obvious they needed to stop passing but they just refused to grind it in with Jones and Kelley at first. They kept trying to air it out and it was clearly ineffective. When we're that close to the goal line the first thing we should be doing is running the football into the end zone. Period. All that passing really pissed a lot of people off there.

And how about the defense? Gave up only 273 total yards, with less than 100 of those yards coming on the ground, and 5 sacks. Also held the phenom rookie QB, who should be paid 20 mil a year, to 11/22 179 yards and no TDs. Pretty good effort.

I like the defensive play after Joe Barry admitted he wasn't getting the job done about 3 weeks ago. The defense has stepped up significantly since. Again, they gave up 14 points off a ST play and a pick. The defense itself only allowed 7 points. Impressed especially by how they pressured Wentz and forced a 4th and 20+ in the 4th quarter on a critical drive. They had two sacks in a row when Wentz was looking to move the ball downfield.

I don't know why they didn't go for it though. They had to go for it there...and then Jones breaks off a huge run :laugh:

Last edited:

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
Yea, gotta give credit where credit is due. Joe Barry fixed his garbage playcalling and started blitzing more.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Apparently Detroit laid out the blueprint vs Philly. Don't show any respect to the philly clown wideouts. Press man from the opening drive, and Wentz will feel the pains of a rookie QB.

Barry has been using his DL differently, in addition to bringing more pressure. As important, is moving up the corners.

What a statement to make on the first play of the game....
AP296972107124.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad