Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 57th Overall (WSH) - Carl Grundstrom - RW - Modo Hockey [6-0/180]

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I wouldn't worry about some of the draftees that coming to the Marlies too soon.

Playing in the KHL is fairly good hockey, and might make them appreciate the AHL for a year or two:sarcasm:

And the SHL is a fine league and the travel isn't too bad. Gives players a change to practice and train

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I wouldn't worry about some of the draftees that coming to the Marlies too soon.

Playing in the KHL is fairly good hockey, and might make them appreciate the AHL for a year or two:sarcasm:

And the SHL is a fine league and the travel isn't too bad. Gives players a change to practice and train

i think the rush to get them over is more for the Russians in the KHL to make sure they don't just stay there for their careers. I like what Korshkov is doing, it would suck for him to keep progressing well only to decide to stay in Russia and we lose is rights in 4 yrs or whatever it is

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
So he's tied for the goalscoring lead in the SHL right now.

I haven't seen much of him, but from what I've read he was drafted more as a two-way forward than a scorer. So are we seeing him take his offense to a new level, or has he just been really lucky?

Acetylene

Every dog has it’s day
Jul 10, 2010
Sweden
So he's tied for the goalscoring lead in the SHL right now.

I haven't seen much of him, but from what I've read he was drafted more as a two-way forward than a scorer. So are we seeing him take his offense to a new level, or has he just been really lucky?

Hard to say, it's a bit premature yet. Frölunda is quite dominant in the SHL in many aspects of the game, especially puck-possession wise. Grundström has always been a work horse and a gym rat. His coach Roger Rönnberg seems to get the best out of young players, and Grundström certainly took several huge steps this season. I have followed him closely for 5-6 years, and I must admit I am a bit surprised by his offensive output. Playing for the best team in the league obviously helps, but he has developed into a Hörnqvist-like goal scorer with a filthy snipe.
Fun player to watch, and it will be interesting to see him in the WJC!

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
May have second line upside after-all. Would be great if he could develop into a solid 2-way 20 goal scoring winger for us down the road!

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Hard to say, it's a bit premature yet. Frölunda is quite dominant in the SHL in many aspects of the game, especially puck-possession wise. Grundström has always been a work horse and a gym rat. His coach Roger Rönnberg seems to get the best out of young players, and Grundström certainly took several huge steps this season. I have followed him closely for 5-6 years, and I must admit I am a bit surprised by his offensive output. Playing for the best team in the league obviously helps, but he has developed into a Hörnqvist-like goal scorer with a filthy snipe.
Fun player to watch, and it will be interesting to see him in the WJC!

A hybrid of Hornqvist and Komarov would be a pretty damn perfect outcome for this team.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Scored the game winner for Sweden today vs Slovakia. Excited to see what he can do in this tournament.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
I am now quite intrigued by him. I admit, like most people, I haven't seen Gundstrom play much, but my eyes will definitely be on him during the WJHC.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
I am now quite intrigued by him. I admit, like most people, I haven't seen Gundstrom play much, but my eyes will definitely be on him during the WJHC.

Like a lot of folk, was a bit underwhelmed when we took Korshikov with our 2nd rounder last year, but liked the sounds of Grundstrom and liked what little I saw.
Even thought not all players will develop, it looks like we may have a ton of depth at forward all arriving at within a couple of year time frame in Grundstrom, Kapanen, Bracco, Dzerkals, Korshikov, Korostelev, and Timashov.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Perfect fit for Matthews and Marner ;)

Grundstrom - Matthews - Marner
JVR - Nylander - Kapanen
Hyman - Kadri - Brown

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Happy to have him. We need more Swedes. I want to ice:
Timashov-Nylander-grundstrom
Dahlin-Liljegren
We need a Swedish goalie. Also to get Liljegren this year and get a top 5 for dahlin next year lol.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Happy to have him. We need more Swedes. I want to ice:
Timashov-Nylander-grundstrom
Dahlin-Liljegren
We need a Swedish goalie. Also to get Liljegren this year and get a top 5 for dahlin next year lol.
Yes please!
But I doubt we pick top 5 next year.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Grundstrom. But from limited viewing. He seems more gritty as well.

Would a Holmstrom type role and career be what we should hope for out of Grundstrom, in your estimation?

My viewings of him make his tools look similar - lots of goals in the paint and almost all from below the faceoff dots. The skating is different, but the modern NHL requires that more than it did for much of Holmstrom's career with 7-8 years in the clutch and grab era and the remainder in the period that the league was adjusting to a faster more open game

I'm trying to star realistic about Grundstrom, and I haven't seen any highlights that make me think he'll be a star player, but I can definitely see a Holmstrom type career being in the cards which is huge success out of the late 2nd round

Acetylene

Every dog has it’s day
Jul 10, 2010
Sweden
Holmström was a unique player, maxing out his limited skill set in a specific role. I don't really see Grundström that way, he is more all-round. As I said earlier, for a Swedish comparison he is more in the Hörnqvist mold, with a bit better skating and a little less grit.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Holmström was a unique player, maxing out his limited skill set in a specific role. I don't really see Grundström that way, he is more all-round. As I said earlier, for a Swedish comparison he is more in the Hörnqvist mold, with a bit better skating and a little less grit.

Sounds about right and what we can hope for.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

Hörnqvist is a good comparison. Grundström is not really a pure "in front of the net" guy though, but neither was Hörnqvist at that age.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Would a Holmstrom type role and career be what we should hope for out of Grundstrom, in your estimation?

My viewings of him make his tools look similar - lots of goals in the paint and almost all from below the faceoff dots. The skating is different, but the modern NHL requires that more than it did for much of Holmstrom's career with 7-8 years in the clutch and grab era and the remainder in the period that the league was adjusting to a faster more open game

I'm trying to star realistic about Grundstrom, and I haven't seen any highlights that make me think he'll be a star player, but I can definitely see a Holmstrom type career being in the cards which is huge success out of the late 2nd round

See answers below (or above really ;) )
Holmström was a rather special kind of player.
Not technical, not a very good skater, not that great of a shot and an average passer. But he could take a beating and he had good hand eye coordination so was terrific on the PP. And he seemed very likeable to have on the team.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
He has a unique "it" factor when I watch him skate with the puck, can't pinpoint what it is but he's more than simply just a role player moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad