2016 Draft: 2nd Pick: Tyler Benson (UPD: Invited to Summer WJC Camp)

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
What am I not reading correctly- DeBrincat's stat line as an NHL rookie or Benson's as a WHL sometimes-star?

You're acting like a know it all expert on junior aged hockey players and injuries, yet don't understand why Benson isn't playing three games in three nights after coming back from injury.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Who could have known Benson seems to suffer from such maladies more than most players before we drafted him?

Wait, you mean he played 30 games his draft year? Who could have known!!!

Toronto should have never drafted Morgan Reilly. ..but in hindsight he was the best pick in the top 5. Think about that for a second, try to not hurt yourself while doing so.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
You're acting like a know it all expert on junior aged hockey players and injuries, yet don't understand why Benson isn't playing three games in three nights after coming back from injury.

You're acting like you didn't just get called out for not reading posts when you accused someone of doing the same thing. Hopefully it's a warm day wherever you are so that egg on your face at least cooks a bit.

Edmonton probably should have stayed clear of McDavid too. Broken hand in his draft year. Broken collarbone in his first NHL season. This guys as fragile as they come. Can't believe they didn't see that coming and trade him while he still had value.

Toronto should have never drafted Morgan Reilly. ..but in hindsight he was the best pick in the top 5. Think about that for a second, try to not hurt yourself while doing so.

McDavid, Draft Year: Broke hand after a fight. Only major injury of the year.

Rielly, Draft Year: Tore ACL. Only major injury of the year.

Galchenyuk, Draft Year: A free one for you both since I bet one of you is drooling to mention it. Collided with a goal post, hurt knee, missed entire year.

Benson, Draft Year: Back surgery prior to the start of the season; missed one month. Groin injury in December. Didn't play again until February; appeared in two games, re-aggravated injury, missed rest of year.

Now, unlike a certain person here, I don't like having to accuse people of not reading. So both of you, read that for me. Then I want you to answer the following: what, if anything, is different about Benson's situation versus the other three?

Okay, you did that? You started your reply- and ensured, per nabob's requirements, that it was coherent?

Good.

Now...

McDavid, Draft Year - 1: Missed 8 games to play in WJC; otherwise, played all available games.

Rielly, Draft Year - 1: HS 1 game, missed 5 games to play in the U17s.

Galchenyuk, Draft Year -1: "I had never been really injured before. The year before, in the OHL, I played every game and didn't miss a single practice. It was a whole new experience for me". Hmm. So we have a theme here. Will that continue?

Benson, Draft Year - 1: Missed ten games- nine in a stretch from Oct 25 to Nov 21 due to a back injury. Was later injured during the U17s and missed not only part of the tournament but his first game back due to an "unspecified injury".

Okay, so everyone got that? No major time missed the year before the draft by McDavid, Rielly and Galchenyuk. More injuries to Benson.

With that information in mind, I eagerly await some coherent, well-thought-out responses.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Benson's injuries are not chronic and he'll have a good NHL career. I don't regret that selection.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
A muscular injury recurring and a fracture not recurring, go figure. Its almost like bone healing is considerably more reliable and efficient than muscular healing, and muscle injuries are tricky and often rushed back in sport. Mind you I haven't looked into Benson's injury history reports in great detail so I'll have to take your word for it that those are reliable reports, but the ones cited in his pre-draft are hardly cause for concern. Without more context on what surgeries he had done you really haven't proven anything to me. Yes groin strains can often recur if they aren't rehabbed properly or given an appropriate healing timeline, and sports hernia's can often have the same fate. I definitely won't argue that. However, I would hope given the recurrence of these issues that they took the appropriate amount of time this time around to ensure he's fully healed. By the sounds of it they have as he was not rushed back for the start of the season and has been recovering for over 6 months.

The groin issue appears to be in the past, and the hernia issue should be as well after the surgery. I suppose you can claim his pre-draft injuries as huge red flags, but to anyone with any rehabilitation background they really shouldn't be because they are fixable issues. Of course its impossible to know what even caused those issues in the first place without a great deal more of information. Does he have some kind of structural issue that predisposes him to the injuries he's had? Does he have movement issues or insufficiencies that predispose him? Is he simply unlucky, or had a specific traumatic event that caused the injuries?

The Oilers would have done testing of this sort on him. The injuries he has sustained, however, do not appear linked and are injuries that are correctable with proper rehabilitation.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You're acting like you didn't just get called out for not reading posts when you accused someone of doing the same thing. Hopefully it's a warm day wherever you are so that egg on your face at least cooks a bit.

McDavid, Draft Year: Broke hand after a fight. Only major injury of the year.

Rielly, Draft Year: Tore ACL. Only major injury of the year.

Galchenyuk, Draft Year: A free one for you both since I bet one of you is drooling to mention it. Collided with a goal post, hurt knee, missed entire year.

Benson, Draft Year: Back surgery prior to the start of the season; missed one month. Groin injury in December. Didn't play again until February; appeared in two games, re-aggravated injury, missed rest of year.

Now, unlike a certain person here, I don't like having to accuse people of not reading. So both of you, read that for me. Then I want you to answer the following: what, if anything, is different about Benson's situation versus the other three?

Okay, you did that? You started your reply- and ensured, per nabob's requirements, that it was coherent?

Good.

Now...

McDavid, Draft Year - 1: Missed 8 games to play in WJC; otherwise, played all available games.

Rielly, Draft Year - 1: HS 1 game, missed 5 games to play in the U17s.

Galchenyuk, Draft Year -1: "I had never been really injured before. The year before, in the OHL, I played every game and didn't miss a single practice. It was a whole new experience for me". Hmm. So we have a theme here. Will that continue?

Benson, Draft Year - 1: Missed ten games- nine in a stretch from Oct 25 to Nov 21 due to a back injury. Was later injured during the U17s and missed not only part of the tournament but his first game back due to an "unspecified injury".

Okay, so everyone got that? No major time missed the year before the draft by McDavid, Rielly and Galchenyuk. More injuries to Benson.

With that information in mind, I eagerly await some coherent, well-thought-out responses.

Benson missed 10 games in his draft -1 season. Really who gives a flying f*** about 10 games in a players draft -1 season. It's a physical game. Injuries happen. Judging whether to not draft a player based on him missing 10 games in the season before his draft season is about one of the dumbest things you've written here. The list is long but that's definitely near the top.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It's so annoying.

They put out this video two days ago. Go to 3:45 for why my videos/accounts are having issues.

Lmao, what in the f*** is wrong with them, have you had any contact with a youtube staff member?

Do they understand that all your videos are on a different player each time?

Bunch of Pejorative Slurs running the show there.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Lmao, what in the **** is wrong with them, have you had any contact with a youtube staff member?

Do they understand that all your videos are on a different player each time?

Bunch of ******s running the show there.

I don't get to talk to anyone, nor do I get specific reasons. It's all automated, based on algorithms, even the appeal process.

I have no understand of why, specifically, my videos are being taken down.

Wait they consider your content ****ing spam?

Yeah. One would think I'd encounter copyright issues, but I don't monetize and Ive never had a copyright strike. If someone wants to copyright claim my videos (which does happen with any NHL content) they are free to do so.

I can't fathom why it gets sorted as spam...

the travel channel I am associated with had 4 vids taken down this week

I've been talking to other people with YouTube accounts similar to myn, and accounts not similar, many people are having issues.

It sucks. People put effort into building these accounts up and out of the blue they can be wiped.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I don't get to talk to anyone, nor do I get specific reasons. It's all automated, based on algorithms, even the appeal process.

I have no understand of why, specifically, my videos are being taken down.

Yeah. One would think I'd encounter copyright issues, but I don't monetize and Ive never had a copyright strike. If someone wants to copyright claim my videos (which does happen with any NHL content) they are free to do so.

I can't fathom why it gets sorted as spam...

I've been talking to other people with YouTube accounts similar to myn, and accounts not similar, many people are having issues.

It sucks. People put effort into building these accounts up and out of the blue they can be wiped.

I know with the travel channel--the problem we are having in other channels view it as a threat and report every single video-the creators have created up to 30 email accounts and when they send reports from all 30--the video gets taken down. Also--youtube will take down a video of a few different law firm file copy write infringements or spamming claims--these lawyers work for another vlogger and are paid by that vlogger to try and crush competition

have you thought of using Vimeo or daily motion? if you are not looking to make money off the channel those are options

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Finally got some good news on the YouTube front:

Benson video is back up:

9KAM4Ak.png

So now I'm wondering why the f*** my original account got killed.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Benson's injuries are not chronic and he'll have a good NHL career. I don't regret that selection.

Benson is going to have almost no nhl career. The guy is not good enough. He'll be a career minor leaguer. I have no problem saying that.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Benson is going to have almost no nhl career. The guy is not good enough. He'll be a career minor leaguer. I have no problem saying that.

Benson was ultra talented, probably top 15 in his age group at the time of the draft, Bobby Mac also said he was a top 15 pick if it wasn’t for injuries. He had his development derailed by 2 pretty freak injuries, wouldn’t shock me the slightest to see him start to put some solid seasons together after staying healthy last year for once.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Benson was ultra talented, probably top 15 in his age group at the time of the draft, Bobby Mac also said he was a top 15 pick if it wasn’t for injuries. He had his development derailed by 2 pretty freak injuries, wouldn’t shock me the slightest to see him start to put some solid seasons together after staying healthy last year for once.

Unfortunately many top 15 picks don't end up with nhl careers.

Got to think Benson is not tracking well. However, IF, he can stay healthy and restart/rejuvenate his development next year in the Ahl its still extremely early in his development.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Unfortunately many top 15 picks don't end up with nhl careers.

Got to think Benson is not tracking well. However, IF, he can stay healthy and restart/rejuvenate his development next year in the Ahl its still extremely early in his development.
for sure, it's easy to assume all first rounders will be impact players, but history says otherwise, even for top 10 picks. So right now, Benson is just one of many sticks in the fire. We don't know which ones will bust, or which ones will elevate. For all we know, Yamamoto will be a huge bust and Benson will be a top liner. But right now the odds are pointing the other way, but it's just odds.

Reactions: Aerchon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad