NHL Entry Draft: 2016 1st Round Mock Draft

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
This is my first mock draft for the 2016 draft. The draft is based on the league standings as of December 30th.

I don't know too much about the players ranked 26-30 so forgive me on those choices if you disagree.

1. :cbj C Auston Matthews
2. :edmonton D Jakob Chychrun
3. :sabres RW Patrik Laine
4. :ducks2 RW Jesse Puljujarvi
5. :canes LW Matthew Tkachuk
6. :leafs RW Alex Nylander
7. :flames RW Julien Gauthier
8. :jets C Pierre Luc-Dubois
9. :bruins (from SJ) C Michael McLeod
10. :nucks D Olli Juolevi
11. :coyotes D Mikhail Sergachyov
12. :flyers LW Clayton Keller
13. :avs D Dante Fabbro
14. :pens C Tyson Jost
15. :bolts D Charlie McAvoy
16. :sens D Jake Bean
17. :devils LW Tyler Benson
18. :nashville C Kiefer Bellows
19. :wings D Kale Clague
20. :coyotes C Sam Steel
21. :bruins LW Max Jones
22. :wild C Logan Brown
23. :habs C Luke Kunin
24. :isles D Chad Krys
25. :hawks LW Carl Grundstrom
26. :panthers D Libor Hajek
27. :canes (from LA) LW Vitali Abramov
28. :blues C Alex DeBrincat
29. :stars D Samuel Girard
30. :caps C Rasmus Asplund

Last edited:

MPStoEberletoHall*

Oilers draft Laine, move RNH or Eberle for a d man. They can't afford to wait for Chychrun to develop since they already have young guys like Nurse and Klefbom developing on the backend.

Laine-Mcdavid-Yakupov
Hall-Draisaitl-_________

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Laine is a great talent, but to me there's no way they pass over Puljujarvi in this draft class. The only talent that makes more sense than him to the Sabres is and he should be going to Edmonton if they finish ahead. Otherwise, pretty solid.

Last edited:

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Laine is a great talent, but to me there's no way they pass over Puljujarvi in this draft class. The only talent that makes more sense than him to the Sabres is and he should be going to Edmonton if they finish ahead. Otherwise, pretty solid.

Laine > Puljujarvi

Don't let the points in the WJC tell you otherwise. Although, both are fantastic prospects and the 2nd and 3rd best prospects in the draft IMO.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Laine is better yeah. Puljujärvi has been a bit lucky in this tournament but he is still very good. Laine has done his points with amazing skill.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
If the Oilers hold on the 2nd I think they pass on Chychurn (already an influx on LHD anyways) in favour of one of the Finns, whom imo is pretty clearly the 2/3(possibly even 1). Then we move Eberle and RNH for RHD.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Oilers draft Laine, move RNH or Eberle for a d man. They can't afford to wait for Chychrun to develop since they already have young guys like Nurse and Klefbom developing on the backend.

Laine-Mcdavid-Yakupov
Hall-Draisaitl-_________

Would love to see this combo:

Hall - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
RNH - McDavid - Yakupov

MPStoEberletoHall*

Would love to see this combo:

Hall - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
RNH - McDavid - Yakupov

I'd rather move RNH for a d man than play him on the wing(Seth Jones). If Kassian figures his s*** out, I'd love to see this.

Hall-Draisaitl-Pulujarvi/Laine
Kassian-McDavid-Yakupov.
Pouliot-_________-__________

Move Eberle for size, grit, and depth for the 3rd line.

Build a D core around these guys.

Nurse
Jones
Klefbom
Sekera

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Boston drafting McLeod and Jones at these two spots would make too much sense, so they won't. They probably would draft two 2nd-rounders out of nowhere! :laugh:

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Laine is better yeah. Puljujärvi has been a bit lucky in this tournament but he is still very good. Laine has done his points with amazing skill.

Crazy how one tournament can change a prospects entire outlook. I realize it's the most anticipated jr tournament in the world but, I fail to see how a prospect can jump or fall so much from one tournament.

Roughly6Owls

Dec 11, 2015
Crazy how one tournament can change a prospects entire outlook. I realize it's the most anticipated jr tournament in the world but, I fail to see how a prospect can jump or fall so much from one tournament.

For a lot of North Americans, the WJC is all they see of the highly ranked Euros -- there aren't many people hunting down NLA, FEL, or SEL streams (or paying for highly specific TV channels) so they can see their favourites. Other than the youtube clips out of this forum or draft articles, I guess. So of course seven games causes massive changes in outlook, when it's the vast majority of your viewing.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Jets would absolutely take Juolevi over Dubois at that spot as LHD is a clear organizational need, and the talent gap isn't that large between the two to make it a bad reach.

BornBruliever

Aug 18, 2011
McLeod and Jones are 2 very good picks for Boston. However with their greatest need being top pairing D, there is no way they would have passed on taking one of Juolevi or Sergachev.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
as of today, with his great showing at the world juniors, Juolevi would likely go at #6, just behind Matthews, Chychrun, Laine, Tkachuk and Pulujarvi. i doubt that he'll go much lower when all is said and done so he's likely not going to be there for the B's at their picks.

BornBruliever

Aug 18, 2011
as of today, with his great showing at the world juniors, Juolevi would likely go at #6, just behind Matthews, Chychrun, Laine, Tkachuk and Pulujarvi. i doubt that he'll go much lower when all is said and done so he's likely not going to be there for the B's at their picks.[/QUO

I was going by OP's order/picks. However, as of today's NHL standings, B's WOULD be picking right around that #6 spot.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Ya like I said I don't know do much about the later picks, not sure who would be the best pick for them.

I would assume Dallas goes C and with Nill going off the board with Honka and again with Guryanov, probably some C no one knows about

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad