GDT: 2016-17 Training Camp and Preseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Can someone give me a positive to signing Tyutin? I still don't see one, and am unsure what his significant role is when he could barely hold a roster spot in Columbus.

Is it the consensus that Zadorov has a spot to lose this season though? Because it was my understanding that (in the NHL) Bigras was visibly better in almost every way last year, which is where I'm confused.

Tyutin is the perfect mentor for Z. Russian, leader, all around great guy, 800+ game vet, etc. I think we see a large jump in Z's game because of Tyutin. It is like another coach and somebody on the ice who can communicate with him at every turn. I wouldn't look at just last season for Tyutin, Torts and him did not get along... at all. He isn't the same player he was 5 years ago, but he is better than last year's version.

Sakic pretty much admitted Tyutin was brought in because of Z, and every indication is that Z will be in the lineup.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
And as much as everyone is hoping Bednar is the exact opposite of Roy I don't think he's going to totally be "yay kids, let's play them all!" as some are hoping.

With our current top-6, I don't think he has much of a choice with Rantanen or at the very least, Rants should be given every opportunity to stick there.

They brought in Tyutin to mentor Zadorov in the NHL so you have to figure that's going to happen.

With Compher, he's already 21 and proved he's good enough to play in a tournament like the WC without looking out of place. He'll be good enough to make this Avs squad and will give a much needed boost to our bottom-6.

I think the plan with Bigras is to send him back to the AHL regardless. His contract status makes that a probability even if he proves he's ready to play and contribute. If that does end up being the case, then they could make room for him by shipping out whoever doesn't fit between Gelinas & Weircoch. Another year in the AHL won't do him any harm whatsoever.

That's how I see the 'kids' situation playing out.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Tyutin is the perfect mentor for Z. Russian, leader, all around great guy, 800+ game vet, etc. I think we see a large jump in Z's game because of Tyutin. It is like another coach and somebody on the ice who can communicate with him at every turn. I wouldn't look at just last season for Tyutin, Torts and him did not get along... at all. He isn't the same player he was 5 years ago, but he is better than last year's version.

Sakic pretty much admitted Tyutin was brought in because of Z, and every indication is that Z will be in the lineup.

Great info, thank you, I feel better about that signing now

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
And as much as everyone is hoping Bednar is the exact opposite of Roy I don't think he's going to totally be "yay kids, let's play them all!" as some are hoping.

I don't expect Bednar to be yay kids or yay vets. From everything I've read about the guy he is very much earn your spot kind of a coach. So if a guy like Compher comes in earns a spot over a vet, I would expect him to be playing.

I think forwards like Martinsen, McCleod even Mitchell to a certain extent better watch their backs in camp. I'd throw Iginla in this group as well but I don't think Bednar has the balls to bench a hall of famer in favor of a younger guy. Guys like Compher, G. Bourque, Grimaldi etc. will be gunning for their spots.

Same goes for defense. I'd say the top 4 of EJ, Barrie, Beauchemin, Zadorov are a lock to make it. After that guys like Tyutin, Gelinas, Wiercioch, Bigras etc. are going to have to earn it. And I fully expect to see Bigras in the lineup if he clearly outplays the others.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I do like that we seem to have at least a little depth now, if someone's injured there shouldn't be any Guenins popping into the lineup

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
The eligibility rule for the expansion draft is 40 games this season, or 75 last year and this? Either/or correct?

Edit, looked it up....it is 40 in 2016-17, or 70 combined, so 9 games in an Tyutin qualifies, 30 games for Gelinas, and 14 games for Weircioch.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Being the perfect mentor requires him playing up to a certain standard though. If he plays poorly, and puts Z in tough positions during shifts, it's going to counteract any good he's doing to help him on the bench, and off the ice. Let's hope he can play like Hejda or Stuart at least, and not like Zanon or Ryan Wilson.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yep. The Avs basically need to take half a season to decide which d-man they want to re-sign for the expansion draft and then they can move on from the other. At most it'll take about 40 games for Bigras to be back. I'm honestly expecting an injury or two out of camp/pre-season, so I think we'll see Compher and Bigras on the roster anyway.

Don't Avs have other major questions concerning defence and goaltending for the expansion draft? I think we're still down to Varlamov or Pickard and two of Beauchmin, Zadorov, and Barrie, no?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Don't Avs have other major questions concerning defence and goaltending for the expansion draft? I think we're still down to Varlamov or Pickard and two of Beauchmin, Zadorov, and Barrie, no?

Just buyout FB if he won't waive that NMC, that is if he actually has one.

They'll be protecting 7/3/1 with one of Gelinas/Weir/Tyutin extended and exposed. FB just isn't enough of a factor for them to feel they should be forced to keep him over exposing someone they don't want to.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Agreed, it's just something unique and confusing the Avs have to deal with and maybe even at the trade deadline. Additionally, this could be perhaps with the Avs fighting for a playoff spot at the time as well.

So Avs (rookie camp) numerical roster was revealed.

http://avalanche.nhl.com/v2/ext/Avalanche Press Box/Rosters/2016-17 Rookie Showcase Numerical.pdf

I think these should be the final numbers for main training camp since I don't see anyone taking 1, 4, 6, 9, 12, 14, 25, 27, 29, 32, 44, 55. I will be updating the OP with some of these already confirmed.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Agreed, it's just something unique and confusing the Avs have to deal with and maybe even at the trade deadline. Additionally, this could be perhaps with the Avs fighting for a playoff spot at the time as well.

So Avs (rookie camp) numerical roster was revealed.

http://avalanche.nhl.com/v2/ext/Avalanche Press Box/Rosters/2016-17 Rookie Showcase Numerical.pdf

I think these should be the final numbers for main training camp since I don't see anyone taking 1, 4, 6, 9, 12, 14, 25, 27, 29, 32, 44, 55. I will be updating the OP with some of these already confirmed.

Kind if interesting that Zadorov, and Bigras are there lol. Hopefully they dominate or everyone is going to have a melt down.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Saw Wiercioch wearing 28 at FSC the other day. It's an interesting number for sure. Skille was out there practicing with the Avs skaters but I doubt he'll be at camp.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Is it just me or does it seem a bit light on defensemen org wide? We have 15, which is enough for both the NHL and AHL but after that, if there are injuries? There aren't any D AHL contracts that we know of, maybe there will be some older guys. I thought Hamonic would be back as someone they could bring up from the ECHL. Not saying it's a problem but we have an abundance of forwards and goalies, just was thinking on it.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Is it just me or does it seem a bit light on defensemen org wide? We have 15, which is enough for both the NHL and AHL but after that, if there are injuries? There aren't any D AHL contracts that we know of, maybe there will be some older guys. I thought Hamonic would be back as someone they could bring up from the ECHL. Not saying it's a problem but we have an abundance of forwards and goalies, just was thinking on it.

What about Mat Clark? Or do you just mean new signings?

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Yeah, I'm really surprised they are not looking at more guys for SA, particularly puck movers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad