2016-17 Around the League II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Just looking at some of the other opening night rosters and man I'm jealous at some of the other teams and the amount of new toys they're getting. I know having multiple rookies is not necessarily a good thing (the amount on the Hawks' roster is because of cap issues) but at the same time, Mikko is our only one and we don't have any young guys making an NHL debut outside of possibly Compher later on.

This is where the class of 2013 and 2014 were supposed to be stepping in and this is why we have our current 4th line depth woes, stupid pre-2015 drafting. Jost can't come soon enough here.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
The class of 2013 is just now going into their 2nd pro season. 2014 just now hit the pro ranks. I don't think this is when they were suppose to step in.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We'll see how many of those kids make it past the 9 game mark, its a bit artificial at the moment. You also get more kids stepping in at 19/20 when you have more first round picks, several of the teams are benefiting from that. I wouldn't say many 2+ rounders are on those rosters either. Its something we have to keep at, getting more young talent in the org as much as possible. Hopefully we can have an exciting call up or two this year and hopefully a nice season for Mikko.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Forgot if it's been mentioned but Ty Rattie, the kid picked with the Avs' 2nd rounder traded as part of the Shattenkirk/McClement/EJ/Stewart deal, made it onto the Blues' 23-man roster as an extra. Probably will get sent down once Schwartz is healthy but hey he's there.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I jut wanted to comment on something towards the end of the last thread concerning Iginla. Hindsight is great, put it is also affected by context. Even for those people (that person, singular?) that did not like the Iggy signing, we have to acknowledge his production. Over the last 2 years, he is 3rd on the team in scoring, as well as 1st in goals. Yes, his defensive play has suffered, but he has produced, and been a leader/mentor for the young ones. And he is now the 4th most expensive forward.

To whine about signing him two years ago because his salary might be getting in the way of what would be our 3rd pairing RD this year, at the cost of significant assets, is completely asinine. Yes, I would like to pick Trouba up. No, I do not want to pay anywhere near what it would cost, because as some point, him playing 3rd pair here wont be good enough for him either, just like WPG...and then those assets were wasted when he walks or demands another trade (and demanding a trade from a second team would absolutely kill any value coming back). Plus what we would have to give up to fit his salary...Iggy in his 3rd year is the only single piece I would be happy about moving. Multiple pieces to make it work, sure...but how does that affect depth, moving say Colborne and Comeau to fit Trouba in makes no sense. Tyutin+Gelinas makes more sense, but only gets you halfway there given that you have to call up a replacement. Tyutin+Mitchell+Colborne/Comeau might work, given cheap replacements for the forwards. But I am leery of the asset cost as well. Best case, Bigras and a 2nd...and I would laugh if that got it done (even though I consider it fair, or even overpayment for him)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
My point was more there was pressure to sign someone in FA that summer. If it wasn't Iggy it would have been someone else of similar situation. It's pretty easy to say don't ever give term to anyone unless it's your own extensions. But when the time comes there's always pressure to upgrade, to bring in that new toy. Apparently the Avs are expected to finish 2nd or 3rd worst in the league just because they didn't bring in any new pieces.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Didn't watch the video because I cant stomach that crap. Hope he's ok but this wont affect the Sabres as much as everyone thinks. Both the Sabres and Jack Eichel are being far too overhyped right now.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Didn't watch the video because I cant stomach that crap. Hope he's ok but this wont affect the Sabres as much as everyone thinks. Both the Sabres and Jack Eichel are being far too overhyped right now.

While I agree they are overhyped... their centers look downright bad with Eichel out. This is killer for them.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I agree too, Eichel is one of my least favorite of the group of top kids. ROR wil just save the day now, folks.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't get the hate for Eichel...

He cant perform with other high end players who play at a high pace. He's like Parenteau with the puck.

He has all the skill in the world but drags down his linemates with his slow decision making. Almost every linemate he had last year performed better away from Eichel than with him. He needs to play with bonehead north/south players who can score goals and want to get Eichel the puck (Evander Kane is a match made in heaven).

Eichel has 75-80 point talent RIGHT NOW. I'm not even talking future. But he will always be better off on his own with lesser players. Well maybe not better off but his team will certainly be better off putting him with lesser players as it will end up being a similar result while the other top players can feed off each other and work together on other lines similar to how Sid always played with crap linemates.

Eichel will be one of the best PP players in the league for the next 15 years though. The way he slows the game down is out of this world.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I wouldn't call it hate. I'm just meh on him vs other top kids. Still tries a lot of college type things to me.

MacK still tries a lot of junior things :dunno:

I just see a lot of people hating on him here, main boards, twitter, etc. He is going to be a damn good #1C in the league for a long, long time. He doesn't play the game fast and isn't uber dynamic, but once it clicked for him last season (mid December) he took off and had an excellent 2nd half of the season.

My issue with Eichel is that he isn't great at playing at multiple paces yet. That is most any young player except Eichel isn't great at play fast which is the opposite of most. I think that will prove to be an advantage over his career though.

He cant perform with other high end players who play at a high pace. He's like Parenteau with the puck.

He has all the skill in the world but drags down his linemates with his slow decision making. Almost every linemate he had last year performed better away from Eichel than with him. He needs to play with bonehead north/south players who can score goals and want to get Eichel the puck (Evander Kane is a match made in heaven).

Eichel has 75-80 point talent RIGHT NOW. I'm not even talking future. But he will always be better off on his own with lesser players. Well maybe not better off but his team will certainly be better off putting him with lesser players as it will end up being a similar result while the other top players can feed off each other and work together on other lines similar to how Sid always played with crap linemates.

Eichel will be one of the best PP players in the league for the next 15 years though. The way he slows the game down is out of this world.

I don't disagree with most of that (pacing will come with time to an extent... though I think he will be like Thornton in many ways), but just because he isn't dynamic doesn't mean he won't be an excellent player. It took him a while to get used to NHL speed, but once he did, he was excellent.

I think eventually a ROR-Eichel pairing on a line will be as good as it gets. The Sabres need to get a #2C to allow that to happen, but I think those two will be elite together one day.

IIRC Eichel had 42 points in his last 49 games.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

i strongly, very strongly disagree with that.

kane isn't really the type who can get eichel or his teammates the puck.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't disagree with most of that (pacing will come with time to an extent... though I think he will be like Thornton in many ways), but just because he isn't dynamic doesn't mean he won't be an excellent player. It took him a while to get used to NHL speed, but once he did, he was excellent.

IIRC Eichel had 42 points in his last 49 games.

He had a great second half and if you were to track my posts about him you will see me praise Jack Eichel as a hockey player all the time. It's his ability to play with other good players that I have an issue with. I just think his team would be much more successful isolating him with some lesser players so that the teams top players can play together.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
i strongly, very strongly disagree with that.

kane isn't really the type who can get eichel or his teammates the puck.

I thought Kane and Mcginn did a great job last year on the forecheck breaking the puck free and getting it to Eichel. They also looked for him primarily leaving the zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad