2015 World Championship: Interviews with Finland linemates Aleksander Barkov and Joon

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
aleksander_barkov_finland_051215.jpg
Photo: Florida Panthers forward Aleksander Barkov (#16) notched four goals and three assists for Team Finland at the 2015 IIHF World Championship (courtesy of Matej Divizna/Getty Images)

</p>Finland took on host Czech Republic in the quarterfinals of the 2015 IIHF World Championship, a game won by the Czechs, 5-3.

A trio of*Team Finland players spent time before the game vs. the Czech Republic talking about a few of the things in their hockey lives.

FINLAND

After his second big year for the Florida Panthers, Aleksander Barkov is continuing to look like a go-to guy for not only his NHL team, but also this Finnish national team.… read more

The post 2015 World Championship: Interviews with Finland linemates Aleksander Barkov and Joonas Donskoi appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
So Barkov thinks Donskoi is the most skilled player in the entire tournament. Joonas was asked where he'll be playing next year, and he said he doesn't know but that he is still under contract in Finland. That's kind of a coy answer. Makes you wonder if Barkov has any leverage to get him over here since they play very well together.

The CBA was in force when he was drafted in 2010 which gave the Cats his rights for 2 years. The new CBA extended those rights out to 4 years, but I believe we are beyond that, so he is a UFA no matter what CBA takes precidence.

If Tallon could sign him it makes you wonder where he would fit on the team. Being as defensively responsible as most Finns are, he could definitely help the 3rd line or slot into a forward spot on the top two lines when needed due to injury or lack of performance. Supposedly explosive speed and soft hands but not sure if he has an NHL shot. Would definitely be a special player in shootouts and 3 on 3. Good size at just under 200 lbs.

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
So Barkov thinks Donskoi is the most skilled player in the entire tournament. Joonas was asked where he'll be playing next year, and he said he doesn't know but that he is still under contract in Finland. That's kind of a coy answer. Makes you wonder if Barkov has any leverage to get him over here since they play very well together.

The CBA was in force when he was drafted in 2010 which gave the Cats his rights for 2 years. The new CBA extended those rights out to 4 years, but I believe we are beyond that, so he is a UFA no matter what CBA takes precidence.

If Tallon could sign him it makes you wonder where he would fit on the team. Being as defensively responsible as most Finns are, he could definitely help the 3rd line or slot into a forward spot on the top two lines when needed due to injury or lack of performance. Supposedly explosive speed and soft hands but not sure if he has an NHL shot. Would definitely be a special player in shootouts and 3 on 3. Good size at just under 200 lbs.

Ehhh, Donskoi has good hands and can deke but IMO thats about it. He was overhyped throughout the whole tournament. First I was thinking that he could maybe slot in 3-4th line but then I remembered how stacked out roster is. We have guys who can do a better job than Donskoi on the 3rd line so I don't really see the point in signing.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Ehhh, Donskoi has good hands and can deke but IMO thats about it. He was overhyped throughout the whole tournament. First I was thinking that he could maybe slot in 3-4th line but then I remembered how stacked out roster is. We have guys who can do a better job than Donskoi on the 3rd line so I don't really see the point in signing.
So the explosive speed is all hype? I didn't watch the tournament, so I have no idea. From what you say he would be rather redundant with our existing prospects in Howden, Grimaldi, or Rau. Since I doubt Tallon will buy out his contract unless he is worth a roster spot, my guess is he stays put for now.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
So the explosive speed is all hype? I didn't watch the tournament, so I have no idea. From what you say he would be rather redundant with our existing prospects in Howden, Grimaldi, or Rau. Since I doubt Tallon will buy out his contract unless he is worth a roster spot, my guess is he stays put for now.

Well, don't know where the "explosive speed" has come from but he IS a fast skater with a good stride. Paired with his elite stickhandling he's very good with the puck. In larger ice surface he could pretty much keep the puck as long as he wanted. It was an issue with him to be honest but the new coach Lauri Marjamäki (with Kärpät) has made him realize that there are far more effective ways to play hockey. So he started to make plays a lot faster and that's pretty much the key to his recent success.

He'll have to do some work to adapt to a smaller rink but I do think someone should give him a try. He has the talent to become NHLer even though it might not happen.

Oh, and he might be one of the best players in the world in shootouts. He's like 80% over the last 3 years or so. Absolutely filthy hands.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
More like a product of playing in Liiga with slower players. I mean, Donskoi has good agility when he gets to circle around the offensive zone, but speed? It didn't show up in this tournament against better competition.

I'd say Peter Mueller is a good comparison. Too much of a skill guy to play bottom6, yet still not skilled enough to warrant top6 minutes.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Thanks for the input guys.

It was reported that the Cats had signed him but then I think Friedman nixed that and said he signed with the Sharks. I guess it is the Sharks as they apparently did a better job of salesmanship than Dale or Sasha. Looks to be a 2 year ELC. My guess is he starts out in the AHL to get him used to the smaller rink, and then if he is showing well he will probably get his chance at some point with the big club.

I think if he had more of snipers shot he would have been a benefit to the Cats, but at present he just looks too much like Rocco and some of the other guys with soft hands.

http://www.fearthefin.com/2015/5/17...ign-finnish-league-playoff-mvp-joonas-donskoi

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Thanks for the input guys.

It was reported that the Cats had signed him but then I think Friedman nixed that and said he signed with the Sharks. I guess it is the Sharks as they apparently did a better job of salesmanship than Dale or Sasha. Looks to be a 2 year ELC. My guess is he starts out in the AHL to get him used to the smaller rink, and then if he is showing well he will probably get his chance at some point with the big club.

I think if he had more of snipers shot he would have been a benefit to the Cats, but at present he just looks too much like Rocco and some of the other guys with soft hands.

http://www.fearthefin.com/2015/5/17...ign-finnish-league-playoff-mvp-joonas-donskoi
It was a spelling error/something was left out, he meant to say that former Panthers draft pick/property, not that we signed or were in the race for his services.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
It was a spelling error/something was left out, he meant to say that former Panthers draft pick/property, not that we signed or were in the race for his services.
Whoever Scott Barlett is, he tweeted that we have received numerous NHL offers for the services of Donskoi. I would assume he is somehow involved as a rep.

In any case, Lavoie then tweeted the Cats had signed him with Friedman following up that he was headed to the Sharks. The league then confirmed the Sharks signing.

Based on those tweets, I think it's safe to say the Cats were in the mix but somehow Donskoi decided that San Jose was the better choice. In these types of situations it usually boils down to who makes more promises (which we know is BS in many instances). These young guys buy into the oral promises, and it really all boils down to how well they do at camp and eventually their play in the AHL.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Whoever Scott Barlett is, he tweeted that we have received numerous NHL offers for the services of Donskoi. I would assume he is somehow involved as a rep.

In any case, Lavoie then tweeted the Cats had signed him with Friedman following up that he was headed to the Sharks. The league then confirmed the Sharks signing.

Based on those tweets, I think it's safe to say the Cats were in the mix but somehow Donskoi decided that San Jose was the better choice. In these types of situations it usually boils down to who makes more promises (which we know is BS in many instances). These young guys buy into the oral promises, and it really all boils down to how well they do at camp and eventually their play in the AHL.
Barlett is his agent, I think.

Anyways, I was referring to this tweet:

Which Lavoie corrected about 20m later:

Lavoie probably went with the thought that Donskoi is still Panthers property, hence signing the ELC with Florida.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Lavoie probably went with the thought that Donskoi is still Panthers property, hence signing the ELC with Florida.
I wonder if Tallon ever offered him an ELC in prior years? If he didn't, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he took this as a dis and had no interest in ever signing with the Cats. And so continues Tallon's history of showing little interest in drafting and signing players across the pond unless they are a sure bet.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I would guess Donskoi knew he wasn't going to be playing with Barkov in any case so he decided to go for wherever he was given the most attractive offer. Maybe a little bit suprised with the Sharks.

There's definately some crossminded thinking amongst the Finns regarding wether he will be succesful in the NHL or not. Pretty much a boom or bust kind of a prospect. Two facts about Donskoi:

1) He's taken giant leaps forward since he was drafted.
2) He'll be amongst the best shootout players in the world (you have to see to believe).

An interesting player to follow. Personally, I have some doubts about him in the smaller ice but anything is possible. Also he needs to add a gear to skating to keep up with faster game.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I would guess Donskoi knew he wasn't going to be playing with Barkov in any case so he decided to go for wherever he was given the most attractive offer. Maybe a little bit suprised with the Sharks.

There's definately some crossminded thinking amongst the Finns regarding wether he will be succesful in the NHL or not. Pretty much a boom or bust kind of a prospect. Two facts about Donskoi:

1) He's taken giant leaps forward since he was drafted.
2) He'll be amongst the best shootout players in the world (you have to see to believe).

An interesting player to follow. Personally, I have some doubts about him in the smaller ice but anything is possible. Also he needs to add a gear to skating to keep up with faster game.
One of the other posters above posted his hi-lights. Yes, he is quite capable on the shootouts and seems to have the puck on a string. The goalies all looked bewildered and I know Finland has some excellent goaltending talent.

Will be interesting to see how he handles some of the goalies in the AHL and NHL as many can disguise a poke check. He will undoubtedly have success with the new 3 on 3 + the shootout if it gets that far. That alone should endear him to the Sharks.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I wonder if Tallon ever offered him an ELC in prior years? If he didn't, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he took this as a dis and had no interest in ever signing with the Cats. And so continues Tallon's history of showing little interest in drafting and signing players across the pond unless they are a sure bet.
Donskoi was close to signing before his rights expired in 2012, but he would have earned less (by signing the ELC and getting loaned back to Finland) since he was going to stay with Kärpät for 2012-13 anyway.

There's definately some crossminded thinking amongst the Finns regarding wether he will be succesful in the NHL or not. Pretty much a boom or bust kind of a prospect.
It really depends if he's willing to stick it through in the minors for a couple of years, or if he's coming home on the milk train after next season.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Donskoi was close to signing before his rights expired in 2012, but he would have earned less (by signing the ELC and getting loaned back to Finland) since he was going to stay with Kärpät for 2012-13 anyway.
Timing is everything. Makes you wonder with the new CBA extending the rights out to 4 years if it would have made a difference. No ELC offer is mandatory to retain their rights for the full 4 years. I think I read that many foreign players elect to play junior hockey in NA for their draft eligible year to force the drafting club to make them an ELC offer within 2 years or they become a UFA.

Also, by signing an ELC with the Sharks it sounds like he will still be making less money that he did with Kärpät. The only difference is his radical improvement gives him a chance to earn some NHL cash if he is one of the first call-ups. I will assume he is a two way player as most Finns are, which will give him the ability to stick with the big club ala Pulkkinen or Drouin in the bottom 6.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad