2015 Vancouver Whitecaps FC Thread - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
In sports you need to spend money to make money. If the Caps continue to jettison players to save money they will create, essentially, an expansion team. Letting Beitashour go exposed the lack of quality on the flanks. It has not been remedied.

Another big issue is the lack of creativity in mid. Morales has been atrocious over the last season and should be transferred. We already know about the fact that our forwards cant score, which adds to the team's troubles.

Excuse my ignorance on this but....is it the same in say hockey, where the player's salaries "end" after the 'regular season' so that playoff revenues pretty much go all to the owners? Seems like alot of lost revenue there given the lack of success in the post-season the Caps have had for a while now.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Maybe best to tank for the draft choice. Familiar theme around here.
This isn't done in MLS, because the draft isn't a particularly major source of talent importation. Kind of like the NHL draft wouldn't be if the NHL was like the 13th most important hockey league in the world. The best you hope for, maybe apart from the top pick or so, is a safe guy like Parker. Even when they turn out good, like Larin, everyone knows they won't stick around too long.

Excuse my ignorance on this but....is it the same in say hockey, where the player's salaries "end" after the 'regular season' so that playoff revenues pretty much go all to the owners? Seems like alot of lost revenue there given the lack of success in the post-season the Caps have had for a while now.
Keep in mind how few playoff games there are, so whatever the answer is (I'm not sure) I don't know that it makes as huge an impact as in a sport with multiple best-of-7 series. Even though the Caps have made the playoffs more often than not in their short playoff history, note that they have hosted exactly one playoff game to date.

In sports you need to spend money to make money. If the Caps continue to jettison players to save money they will create, essentially, an expansion team. Letting Beitashour go exposed the lack of quality on the flanks. It has not been remedied.
I wouldn't say they are particularly an example of Exponomics (if that term hasn't already been coined, I'm taking credit for it). They haven't been regularly cheaping out on their own players. Beitashour was released for cap allocation issues (spending more on him means less on others, and fullbacks are kind of where MLS goes for bargains anyhow). MLS pays all salaries up to the cap, so it's only with DPs that they have looked "cheap". And I can't blame them for not willingly losing millions upon millions of dollars annually like MLSE just to have a big name.

Like I said in the Southsiders forums, Vancouver sports fans are pretty damn unlucky right now.
Hey, who are you on the Southsiders' site? :)

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Techera's goal wins them the game in the Champions League. Good start away from home and playing with the second string. Some good work by Hurtado to set up the goal.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Road Win is very solid is against such an underdog team

Central may play with a little more determination in week 2 against Sporting at home, and may push for a draw.

Frostage

May 23, 2014
Techera's goal wins them the game in the Champions League. Good start away from home and playing with the second string. Some good work by Hurtado to set up the goal.

Good for the 'caps, and good for Hurtado he did almost all the work. Techera's best contribution is probably pulling off the defender.

And boy did Hurtado look like he was feeling the heat.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
This team is terrible. Morales needs to go. Guy is making way too much and a waste of a DP slot for what he brings.. No attacking rhythm, shoddy passing, shoddy defending, no finish... Frustrating. They're going to miss the playoffs.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
This team is terrible. Morales needs to go. Guy is making way too much and a waste of a DP slot for what he brings.. No attacking rhythm, shoddy passing, shoddy defending, no finish... Frustrating. They're going to miss the playoffs.

Of course they are going to miss the playoffs. It's a junk team devoid of skill and talent, plus we have a manager who is still employing stale tactics. This rivals the expansion year in terms of watching lackluster football.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC

He is a waste of a DP spot. He has regressed significantly over the last year. Injuries and age have really caught up to him. Time to find another player to put into that position.

Of course they are going to miss the playoffs. It's a junk team devoid of skill and talent, plus we have a manager who is still employing stale tactics. This rivals the expansion year in terms of watching lackluster football.

The lack of skill and talent is glaring. I noticed the team moving backwards with ten games to go last season. They could not score and were consistently outplayed by the opposition in the last quarter of the season. It has continued into this season. The last two games against Dallas and Colorado was a revelation in this regard.

The momentum from last year is over. They need to do something to ensure fans continue to go to games.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
The women's game between USA and Sweden is in extra time. The assistant referee just blew a call that would have seen Sweden go up 2-1. Not only was the striker onside when the ball was played, but when she gets the ball in the offside position, it came off a USA defender. Horrible call by the assistant.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
The women's game between USA and Sweden is in extra time. The assistant referee just blew a call that would have seen Sweden go up 2-1. Not only was the striker onside when the ball was played, but when she gets the ball in the offside position, it came off a USA defender. Horrible call by the assistant.

Funny enough, an american article described it as offside but close. Haha. That's one way of looking at it, but not the way the rest of the world saw it. Was miles onside. But what do u expect? The US gets all the favourable calls. So glad they lost on penalties.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Funny enough, an american article described it as offside but close. Haha. That's one way of looking at it, but not the way the rest of the world saw it. Was miles onside. But what do u expect? The US gets all the favourable calls. So glad they lost on penalties.

Even if she was in an offside position, the USA player tried to play the ball and miskicked it. Because the touch would be from a defending player, the Swedish player would still be onside. It was just a bad call by the assistant referee for missing she was onside and then by the referee for not recognizing that it was played by the USA player.

As for Forlan, I would have liked him 3 years ago. He's well past his prime and I'm glad they didn't offer anything more than a 6 month contract.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Whitecaps getting owned again.

Hoping they lose every game from here on out.

When was Morales last involved in a Whitecaps goal? Honest question.

He's useless out wide, useless in a defensive role and the only role he has been effective is as the central attacking role. However, Mezquida has outplayed him this season. He really should go and that money go towards another player. We've got good enough wingers in Bolanos, Techera and Davies (I'd also prefer to see Aird in that attacking right midfield position, I actually think that would be a better position for him to play. His delivery isn't that bad).

Move Morales, Harvey, Smith and Hurtado. Find a striker (DP), defensive midfielder (DP) to partner Laba, a LB and a RB.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Whitecaps getting owned again.

Hoping they lose every game from here on out.

It is bad, worse than the expansion season. At least then we knew the team would suck. Now, expectations were much, much higher considering the second place finish last season.

There is so much that is wrong with the team. The defensive zone coverage is atrocious. The number of crosses that lead to goals is far to high. As well, the midfield, especially the passes directly to the opposition by Morales, is a mess. No coordination and flow at all. We already know that the team cannot score so I wont go into detail on that. There is a massive job ahead for next season. I am talking about next season because I do not see the playoffs for this season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It is bad, worse than the expansion season. At least then we knew the team would suck. Now, expectations were much, much higher considering the second place finish last season.

There is so much that is wrong with the team. The defensive zone coverage is atrocious. The number of crosses that lead to goals is far to high. As well, the midfield, especially the passes directly to the opposition by Morales, is a mess. No coordination and flow at all. We already know that the team cannot score so I wont go into detail on that. There is a massive job ahead for next season. I am talking about next season because I do not see the playoffs for this season.

So tell me again why Carl Robinson just got a new contract?...where's the accountability?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
So tell me again why Carl Robinson just got a new contract?...where's the accountability?

He's a puppet, and frankly the guy the owners want in. Again, Vancouver sports fans are in hell right now with two franchises that are going utterly nowhere without big changes from the top -> down. Boils down to stubborn and greedy owners, but what's compounding matters is that we essentially have 4 owners (Kerfood, Luczo, Mallett, and Nash).

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
It's time the caps finally sign a high profile DP preferably a striker

Klose
Podolski

First two that come to mind both are looking to finish up in MLS and the caps should be on them like a dirty shirt

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
If either of them come to MLS, the league won't let them come to Vancouver. They'll be LA or NY bound. Toronto's in the mix as well.

It won't happen anyway. They're names are too big for our cheap-ass owners to make a move.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Speaking of useful guys the Whitecaps were too cheap to keep around Alain Rochat is about to start a CL qualifying game against Manchester City (for Young Boys).

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Speaking of useful guys the Whitecaps were too cheap to keep around Alain Rochat is about to start a CL qualifying game against Manchester City (for Young Boys).

It hurts when you see guys like Rochat and Chiumiento carving out nice careers and knowing the Whitecaps were to damn cheap to keep them.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
For whatever his faults....things like this actually make you appreciate Aquaman more.

It's bad all around.

Our hockey team is run by meddling owners that have hired one of the most incompetent GM's in recent history. Our franchise has turned into the laughing stock of the league, and our owners are completely out of touch with the fanbase.

Our soccer club is run by 4 owners that are penny-pinching and worried about their pockets more so than investing in the team. We will likely enter a period of mediocrity...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad