GDT: 2015 NHL Entry Draft (We're still not Boston) - Rounds 2-7

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Went back and reviewed yesterdays picks and trades (round 1) for some of our rivals.

Buffalo went from joke to 'oh ****' overnight. They have a goalie, they have Eichel and they added ROR. Lost Zad (who I love) but Risto is the guy that's really scary and they have D stacked up to the rafters like we do.

Toronto isn't going anywhere fast. Like their moves, though. Smart acquisitions. Marner is perfect and can sit in junior for a couple of years.

Carolina solidified their D for the next decade or so. The real sleeper was acquiring Lack, though. We're going to hate playing him. Wish they'd traded for Markstrom.

Jersey, meh. See if Zacha busts or not. They have a nice little pool of D though. That's always concerning with Schnieds in net.

Philly is a problem. They snagged Provorov (those ********) and already had a disgusting bunch of young D. Not ready yet but only a year or two before they start hitting the NHL. Then Konecyn somehow falls to them. Eff.

Columbus nabs two really nice LD in Werenski and Larsson. No immediate threat but really shored up their D pool.

Boston needs no introduction, what a mess. Perfect timing for us, though.

Islanders somehow ended up with Beauvillier and Barzal. Just makes them better. Barzal has a screwy draft year and could be a huge steal.

Ottawa adds Chabot and White. They aren't going away anytime soon. Solid 3-4th D in Chabot and White seems to be highly thought of as a top-6 wing prospect.

Detriot picks a Euro skill guy. Wooo. They really need to think about missing the playoffs for a couple of years soon.

Washington gets another Russian goalie. Same old. They still have Ovie and not much else seems to matter.

Montreal picked up a guy I'd consider the best D-man after Provorov. I'm maybe a little WHL biased but Juulsen is a steal in the 20s. Great on his skates and still a very raw kid. Will be a nice RD behind Subban in a couple of years.

No pick for Tampa! Not that it matters since they seem to be able to do just fine without any picks in the first two rounds. God I hate them.

In our division Buffalo made out like bandits and we probably fall behind them with Crouse. Ottawa adds some nice mid-range pieces. Detriot, Montreal, Toronto and Tampa stand more or less pat. Boston decided to go the self-harm route which is probably the best news from yesterday.

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
In our division Buffalo made out like bandits and we probably fall behind them with Crouse. Ottawa adds some nice mid-range pieces. Detriot, Montreal, Toronto and Tampa stand more or less pat. Boston decided to go the self-harm route which is probably the best news from yesterday.

Crouse is a good addition don't get me wrong, but most of the division didn't really improve for next year aside from Buffalo. Among our division Buffalo got a lot better, Boston got a lot worse, and all of the other teams stayed about the same.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Luce said in his interview that Malgin might be coming over to the CHL for next season (re-entering the CHL draft next month) and that Tallon will call Malgin tomorrow (as in today).

He won't be at the prospect camp though.

Crouse is a good addition don't get me wrong, but most of the division didn't really improve for next year aside from Buffalo. Among our division Buffalo got a lot better, Boston got a lot worse, and all of the other teams stayed about the same.
Buffalo improved, yes, but their d-core is still pretty terrible. They aren't going to improve much in the standings if that doesn't get better.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver

Pretty much. Crouse may end up back in the CHL but he was touted as 'ready to go' most of the year. With the number and quality of young players in the league I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a solid rookie season in the bottom-6 and PK.

Buffalo is going to be a problem. They got ROR, Eichel and Jones plus Kane from earlier and they still have assets to burn if they want to make more moves. They could still suck but they could also go on an Avalache-like run and be as annoying as Boston was this year.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
Buffalo improved, yes, but their d-core is still pretty terrible. They aren't going to improve much in the standings if that doesn't get better.

Explain to me what people see in Lehner, his stats are bad and I've never seen a consistent performance. I couldn't believe the haul Ottawa got and without trying to sound like an *** I think Murray did his uncle a favor in his last ever year as gm and gave him a 1st instead of a second, and taking that awful contract.

Buffalo is going to be a problem. They got ROR, Eichel and Jones plus Kane from earlier and they still have assets to burn if they want to make more moves. They could still suck but they could also go on an Avalache-like run and be as annoying as Boston was this year.

I have no idea who Jones is and they have questionable goaltending and defense to say the least. They'll be around a 75 point team imo

If you disagree that's fine but at least tell me who Jones is :laugh:

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Explain to me what people see in Lehner, his stats are bad and I've never seen a consistent performance. I couldn't believe the haul Ottawa got and without trying to sound like an *** I think Murray did his uncle a favor in his last ever year as gm and gave him a 1st instead of a second, and taking that awful contract.

I have no idea who Jones is and they have questionable goaltending and defense to say the least. They'll be around a 75 point team imo

If you disagree that's fine but at least tell me who Jones is :laugh:

Aha. It's 3 am. Mean Lehner. Martin Jones to the Oil.

And their goalie and D situation is similar to the Av's before Varly and Barrie Got going.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
"potential"

Aha. It's 3 am. Mean Lehner. Martin Jones to the Oil.

And their goalie and D situation is similar to the Av's before Varly and Barrie Got going.
Jones went to Boston actually.

Thewselius

Jul 24, 2003
West Palm Beach
It's interesting that Malgin has the same agent as Jagr. Makes me think that they got a tip from him. Some on the main prospect board were comparing him to Ehlers, a great point producer.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
The draft is weird, typically the top 3 picks have the best chances of becoming NHL caliber players but after that it is really just how they develop with the team and if they are put in too soon in the NHL. Some first rounders don't even play a game in the NHL, just depends on how the club treats their prospects. Most of these guys are so young too, and need a few more years in junior to really understand how it is to play against bigger and more skilled players. That's why players drafted in the later rounds (7th, 8th, 9th back when they had that many rounds) can be just as good as players in the first round.

Sorry if that was too much information for a simple question :laugh:

It's a great answer. It would be really cool to pull out a Datsyuk/Zetterberg from the later rounds. One can only dream.

Jan 19, 2006
There was an article a while back that looked at this (too lazy to dig it up) ....

First round players have a ~ 75% chance of being regular NHL players
2nd round - 25%
3rd round - 10%
4th and beyond - 5%

If you can get 2-3 regular NHL players from a draft you did ok.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
There was an article a while back that looked at this (too lazy to dig it up) ....

2nd round - 25%
3rd round - 10%
4th and beyond - 5%

2-3 regulars on a consistent basis would be unreal. And 2-3 regulars out of a single draft would be a success, not just an "OK" outcome (if there's another set tiers after the OK, 4-5 regulars equals to "great" and "6-7" means awesome...)

Edit: "unreal" might be too much since Detoilet is doing just that, but anyhow...

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Isn't he a general from WW2?

Early on I had focused on him.. Then lately I was hoping for adin hill.. Thought he'd be there in 4th.. He went in 3rd.

What we should do is get the coach who works for the rangers. The coach who worked with Talbot..

We need to finally develop a goalie

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

2nd round - 25%
3rd round - 10%
4th and beyond - 5%

Like say in from the 2010 draft when Florida got 3 regulars NHL players and counting? Some people might not think that was any good. Not mentioning any names. :)

Jan 19, 2006
2-3 regulars on a consistent basis would be unreal. And 2-3 regulars out of a single draft would be a success, not just an "OK" outcome (if there's another set tiers after the OK, 4-5 regulars equals to "great" and "6-7" means awesome...)

Edit: "unreal" might be too much since Detoilet is doing just that, but anyhow...

Yes, that was what I was trying to say

RatKingBolland*

2nd round - 25%
3rd round - 10%
4th and beyond - 5%

Wonder what the % is from round 7. Who would have thought H.Lundqvist would turn out like he did.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Detroit often gets credit for the drafting success in the later rounds. It's all luck folks, otherwise if they knew those players were going to be that good they wouldn't have waited until the 5th to 7th rounds.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Detroit often gets credit for the drafting success in the later rounds. It's all luck folks, otherwise if they knew those players were going to be that good they wouldn't have waited until the 5th to 7th rounds.

There is definitely a huge element of luck but there is also proper player development, and a culture that gives prospects a better chance of developing. They've created an organization/player development machine that gives them better odds of hitting on those late picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad