Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Draft Prospect Discussion - At the Halfway Mark of the Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I'd argue Strome is NHL ready now. I'd be very surprised if he isn't in the NHL next season. Nylander as long as he can build strength should make it as well. He has the skating, shot and hockey IQ of an NHL player, as long as his body can keep up with his relentless forechecking i don't see why he wouldn't be here next season.

I'm not going to inject much other then to say

something tells me that there is a new development plan in place and avoiding the ahl is not an option, unless you are in the "way above the norm" category.

save for 2 picks in this draft I only see , back to the dev league and then ahl when able.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

something tells me that there is a new development plan in place and avoiding the ahl is not an option, unless you are in the "way above the norm" category.

save for 2 picks in this draft I only see , back to the dev league and then ahl when able.

I agree with the philosophy of AHL development - only problem is - there is a logjam on the Marlies - we are not graduating many from the Marlies right now either because of Leafs cap reason or longer than thought development time required.

So far only Holzer has gone up and stuck. In the wings are Percy, Carrick, Brown but Grannberg, Loov, Nilson, etc all look like they need more time time.

With no malice or ill-will intended here McKegg, McWilliam, Ashton, Frattin, Abbott, Biggs, Knodel, Everson etc all could be AHL lifer's.

Kozun is a guy I can see making it if he stays healthy and is given and extended chance - he does so many things well.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

But Strome is well over 2 PPG and would have to be in the OHL for 2 additional seasons before he can play in the AHL. Well I agree with the AHL route in most cases, a player like Strome would have development hampered by just tearing up the same league 3 years in a row. He wouldn't be learning anything.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
But Strome is well over 2 PPG and would have to be in the OHL for 2 additional seasons before he can play in the AHL. Well I agree with the AHL route in most cases, a player like Strome would have development hampered by just tearing up the same league 3 years in a row. He wouldn't be learning anything.

you might be misunderstanding me

what I have been posting is not my opinion on players

what I have been posting is my belief that things have changed in the organisation and what those might be.

maybe it's 1 more in the O and then the bigs , something tells me, they are done rushing the kids is all.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
you might be misunderstanding me

what I have been posting is not my opinion on players

what I have been posting is my belief that things have changed in the organisation and what those might be.

maybe it's 1 more in the O and then the bigs , something tells me, they are done rushing the kids is all.

I understand exactly what your saying. Storm has 81 points in 44 GP. What do you expect him to learn with one more year in junior? I understand that things have changed and they are taking a different approach to development, but there are some circumstances where exceptions need to be made.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Can anybody tell me about Hanifin, Kylington and Werenski? What's their potential? If any of them have #1D potential we should pick one up. Other than Rielly we don't have any potential top pairing D in the system.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I understand exactly what your saying. Storm has 81 points in 44 GP. What do you expect him to learn with one more year in junior? I understand that things have changed and they are taking a different approach to development, but there are some circumstances where exceptions need to be made.

the war between what he might learn and what they want to keep him away from here for the time, just might be a note worthy battle.

raking up points is not the only thing on managements minds

they brought WN back over for a reason.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010

I'm a Strome fan, he's one of the top target I want for our pick, but I'd keep him another year in the OHL.

Nothing wrong with giving him another year to lead the club, facing top competition and improving his strength and his skating.

Big, cerebral playmaking center can struggle a bit if they are rushed. Draisaitl is a good example.

Then you re-evaluate at 19 if you keep him or not.

I would love to have Strome with our pick. Seems like a perfect fit for us.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Can anybody tell me about Hanifin, Kylington and Werenski? What's their potential? If any of them have #1D potential we should pick one up. Other than Rielly we don't have any potential top pairing D in the system.

Would take Provorov long before Kylington or Werenski. He has #1 written all over him.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'm a Strome fan, he's one of the top target I want for our pick, but I'd keep him another year in the OHL.

Nothing wrong with giving him another year to lead the club, facing top competition and improving his strength and his skating.

Big, cerebral playmaking center can struggle a bit if they are rushed. Draisaitl is a good example.

Then you re-evaluate at 19 if you keep him or not.

I would love to have Strome with our pick. Seems like a perfect fit for us.

I agree with what you say but really doubt we are in position to draft him.
Story of this franchise. Everything we need is just out of our reach.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I agree with what you say but really doubt we are in position to draft him.
Story of this franchise. Everything we need is just out of our reach.

hold a glimmer of hope traps:)

I still have us pegged to draft 5th overall.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
@ 5 draft strome, deal Franson with a mid-late 1st (there are too many options to name), deal Kessel and Phaneuf for 2 more firsts + prospects, run with:

JVR - Kadri - XXXX
XXXX - Nylander - XXXX
Komarov - Strome - XXXX
who cares - Carrick - who cares

Rielly - XXXX
Gardiner - Polak
Percy - who cares

Bernier

Tank next season and grab Jakob Chychrun, we can then build off 4 solid forwards, 2 solid D and a solid G (plus the returns on Kessel and Phanuef)

JVR - Nylander - XXXX
XXXX - Kadri - santorelli
Komarov - Strome - Leivo
who cares - Carrick - winnik

Rielly - Percy
Gardiner - Polak
robidas - loov

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Barzal is back, but he's been fairly quiet so far (0 points, -5 in 2 games)

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Assuming Barzal returns to his normal self for the remainder of the season, who would you take...Barzal or Marner?

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I really feel at the end of the day Marner is going to be picked 4th overall or even 3rd if the 3rd overall pick doesnt need D... But most teams need D.

Reactions: Tall Morty

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I really feel at the end of the day Marner is going to be picked 4th overall or even 3rd if the 3rd overall pick doesnt need D... But most teams need D.

Agreed. And I feel like Strome will go 5. If both Schenns can go at 5, so can both Stromes.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

EDM will take hanifin don't you worry about that

ariz= mc franchise

buff=eich

edm=hanifin

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I pretty much see the top 5:
McDavid
Eichel
Hannifin
Marner
Strome

None for the Leafs.

do your research trapper,

we are on pace for 80 points that puts you right in the heart of 5 th overall race

I wonder if we can necro that old prediction thread ,iirc, I pegged us at 79 points?:naughty:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I could care less about our draft position! We likely won't pick the right player anyways! I have no faith in our scouts these days!

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
This.

Produced when McDavid was injured or at the WJC.

Isn't playing with McDavid 5 on 5.

Would still be great on the PP without McDavid.

Personally I really like Strome. Once he improves his skating, he has all the tools to be a very good player. Would be awesome to have him with our pick.

I'm not as high as most on Strome (though I do like him) the McDavid Factor shouldn't be used as an argument against Strome. He actually produced at a higher rate when McDavid was injured and at the WJC's.

Sometimes a better player only means that a guy doesn't get as many touches on a puck, which for a player who plays his best game with the puck is actually going to drive his production lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad