2015 Draft Thread: McEichel Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
All the Hanifan talk is true. Ending up with #3 and drafting NH would still be a HUGE step in the right direction of this rebuild. I'm just as guilty as some of the others around here, McEichel in blue and gold is just such a great vision that Hanifan feels like a huge let down.

But honestly, Buffalo is in a great spot when you think about it. McDavid is the dream, Eichel is that fantastic consolation prize that perhaps becomes just as great as the top prize.

But hey, worst case scenario, adding Hanifan to Bogo, Risto and Zads(with Pysyk and McCabe) easily gives us one of, if not the best, young D around. Can't complain at all when you think about that type of defence leading this team.

Offence, and top forward prospects are just so much sexier to dream about. But really, a team with D like that, may not really need much O anyways. Plus D like that makes finding a number one goalie a little easier to do.

That being said, I'm still full tank. But I've really come to the realization that I don't need to find the tallest building if Buffalo finishes 2 and ends up 3 after the lottery.

Now finishing 4th...

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
All the Hanifan talk is true. Ending up with #3 and drafting NH would still be a HUGE step in the right direction of this rebuild. I'm just as guilty as some of the others around here, McEichel in blue and gold is just such a great vision that Hanifan feels like a huge let down.

But honestly, Buffalo is in a great spot when you think about it. McDavid is the dream, Eichel is that fantastic consolation prize that perhaps becomes just as great as the top prize.

But hey, worst case scenario, adding Hanifan to Bogo, Risto and Zads(with Pysyk and McCabe) easily gives us one of, if not the best, young D around. Can't complain at all when you think about that type of defence leading this team.

Offence, and top forward prospects are just so much sexier to dream about. But really, a team with D like that, may not really need much O anyways. Plus D like that makes finding a number one goalie a little easier to do.

That being said, I'm still full tank. But I've really come to the realization that I don't need to find the tallest building if Buffalo finishes 2 and ends up 3 after the lottery.

Now finishing 4th...

...is nearly impossible at this point. One of McDavid, Eichel or Hanifin will be with our organization.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Hanifin would be the top-pairing LHD many are clamoring for BUF to acquire.

If so, would likely cause Murray to kick it up a geat to land ROR in the few days between the Draft and 7/1/15.

Key is to finish 29th or 30th.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Hanifin would be the top-pairing LHD many are clamoring for BUF to acquire.

If so, would likely cause Murray to kick it up a geat to land ROR in the few days between the Draft and 7/1/15.

Key is to finish 29th or 30th.

Delusional Avs fans would probably begin to demand Hanifin instead of Zads/Risto.

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I think this is the point of the year where everything becomes over analyzed to a degree. Hanifin has been essentially the consensus number 3 (#1 Dman) in the draft, and now people are finding holes where there aren't any.

I think it's fairly common, when a prospect is ranked so highly for so long, to start over thinking. Hanifin is a fabulous prospect, and his offensive upside is just fine. He's incredibly young and still producing in D1 hockey, and in a damn good program at BC. He's playing in all situations and doing just fine. If anything he's being underrated at this point. An 18 year old defensemen playing against men in one the the best divisions in college hockey is nothing short of incredible. Plus he's tied 4th on the entire team in points on a team with a lot of talent, while also being the least penalized defensemen on the team. He's the #1 defensemen in this draft.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
That's true, Hanifin has basically fallen into the Ekblad trap. He is a defenceman who everyone has known was going to be a top pick for a couple years now, he has done nothing to change that. We will be more then happy if he is our pick.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
That's true, Hanifin has basically fallen into the Ekblad trap. He is a defenceman who everyone has known was going to be a top pick for a couple years now, he has done nothing to change that. We will be more then happy if he is our pick.

Pretty much, though I had my doubts about Ekblad being a clear #1 franchise defenseman (still do have some though they've faded considerably) and I think it's fair to have those doubts with Hanifin. The difference for me is that Hanifin's going to be an elite-skating defenseman, so I really think his floor is Jay Bouwmeester. The question is what kind of offense he can bring. Ekblad has that big shot and Hanifin doesn't, but Hanifin should have more upside rushing the puck. Both are smart players who make great first passes. Watching Hanifin at BC, he's been a very conservative player relative to what he could get away with. He looks to handle his defensive responsibilities first and seems to defer the action to his forwards. We'll have to see if that is just how he's playing it or if that's who he is, because from what I saw of him last year he was more aggressive with the NTDP. Though we're talking about an all-around higher level of player, I could see Murray giving the same instructions to Hanifin he has been giving to Pysyk.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
So?

I'd take two months of Pegula and Murray showing him around Buffalo/HarborCenter/Canalside and buttering him up.

You say "so?" like it doesn't matter at all, when the entire idea of acquiring ROR is a majorly risky proposition

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

Within that window, much will be expected of both, but as should be abundantly clear, neither of these players can make a team a championship contender on his own.

Oh look, another appearance of "one player won't turn things around on his own."

Nevermind that the Sabres will also be adding Reinhart, Kane, and Pysyk to the roster next season (along with possibly free agents) to join a developing Girgensons, Risto, and Zads.

Never mind that we also have another 1st and two 2nds in this draft to go along with the plethora of 1sts and 2nds we've had in the last few years.

Clearly our rebuild is all about hoping one guy comes in and turns it all around.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/cra..._cid=InsiderTwitter_Custance_TradeMcDavidPick

Anybody have an insiders account? Would love to know what Murray has to say in here

Murray's sentiments:

Really, there’s one GM most qualified to answer that question. Buffalo Sabres GM Tim Murray currently runs the franchise most likely to win the draft lottery, and barring a late-season charge, will have a 20 percent chance of landing the McDavid pick when the NHL hosts its draft lottery. To a guy like Cheveldayoff, the price to trade McDavid is more of a thought exercise. To a guy like Murray, it may be a question he actually faces.

“It would be impossible -- almost impossible for me to move it,†Murray said on Monday afternoon. “I can’t give you names, right?â€

Because of tampering rules, Murray couldn’t talk specific players, but it would have to be a trade built around a young superstar, just to start. So, for example, if Tampa wanted to call and begin the conversation with a deal that included Steven Stamkos, they might not get hung up on.

It sounds like a ridiculous question to pose the general manager of a team that is going through one of the worst seasons in history to try and get that top pick. But it’s not ridiculous when you consider this: If the Sabres don’t land the No. 1 overall pick, Murray has every intention of making a trade pitch to the team that does.

Somebody is going to take a stab at trading for the No. 1 overall pick, and Murray said it will be him if the Sabres aren’t sitting in that top spot.

“For sure,†he said. “It would have to take a top pick. Let’s say you’re sitting second, we have some young studs that might interest a team. They’d have to weigh first who they have projected No. 1 and what’s the difference between one and two.â€

If the team that lands the top pick has McDavid and Jack Eichel neck and neck, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that the Sabres have enough ammunition to package with the No. 2 pick to move into that top spot.

“I would certainly start a conversation. 100 percent,†Murray said. “You would know very quickly if there was even a point of making an offer or not. If the guy is like, ‘Are you kidding me, Timmy?’ Tha’s it. Then the conversation would have been a joke.â€

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
Interesting. Pick #2 plus one of our "young studs" being something he would offer "for sure."

Could just be smoke though.

I read "young studs" and instantly thought Grigorenko. 2nd overall + Grigs for 1st overall... A team that needs Center depth would at least negotiate from their I'd imagine.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
I read "young studs" and instantly thought Grigorenko. 2nd overall + Grigs for 1st overall... A team that needs Center depth would at least negotiate from their I'd imagine.

LOL get real

It would probably take #2 + Reinhart minimum. Almost certainly more picks and prospects on top of that

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
LOL get real

It would probably take #2 + Reinhart minimum. Almost certainly more picks and prospects on top of that

That's why I wish this topic never came up.

I don't ever see there being a trade offer that Murray could make to get up to #1 that would make sense.

MG+2 for 1 is such an easy yes from the Sabres POV that the team at 1 won't do it.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
That's why I wish this topic never came up.

I don't ever see there being a trade offer that Murray could make to get up to #1 that would make sense.

MG+2 for 1 is such an easy yes from the Sabres POV that the team at 1 won't do it.

I don't know. Say Larsson's hot play continues. You might be able to say we can move Girgensons now because Larsson can adequately fill that role. If Murray feels so strongly about McDavid, I don't think moving Girgensons is outside of reality.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
I don't know. Say Larsson's hot play continues. You might be able to say we can move Girgensons now because Larsson can adequately fill that role. If Murray feels so strongly about McDavid, I don't think moving Girgensons is outside of reality.

Yeah I just find it hard to believe 20 strong games from Larsson can make you confident enough in him replacing Girgs. That being said, I would approve of a #2 +ZG for #1. And ZG is probably my favourite current sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark