Prospect Info: 2014 World Junior Championship discussion | Pouliot (1G, 3A) | Sundqvist (2G, 1GWG)

Michael8771*

I think Pouliot generated the only shots in the 3rd period so he got the nod.

The Fins trapped Canada to perfection today. They could very well win this tournament if they get a few lucky bounces against Sweden tomorrow.

Bronze and Gold Game Times

Date | Game | CET | Eastern
Jan. 5 | Canada vs. Russia | 15:00 | 9:00 AM |
Jan. 5 | Finland vs. Sweden | 19:00 | 1:00 PM |
I'm rootin for the fins tomorrow, really don't wanna see the Swedes win again.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I thought Pouliot had his worst game of the tournament ... and he was selected Canada's Player of the Game. :laugh:

Then again, considering how bad Canada played as a whole, I suppose he's no worse an option than anyone else. Just thought it was funny that in the games he looked outstanding, he didn't get PotG, but in the one game I thought he looked poor, he did.

Michael8771*

Overall I like what I saw from DP this tournament. It's a step forward. I forecast he'll be a regular in a pens uniform for the 15-16 season, oh yeahhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
With Pouliot being the only defenseman named one of the "top 3 players on the team" this year, looks like the best defenseman on Team Canada WJC for the past two years have been Penguins (Harrington earned the honour last year). That ain't not half bad.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Overall I like what I saw from DP this tournament. It's a step forward. I forecast he'll be a regular in a pens uniform for the 15-16 season, oh yeahhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Shero would have to move a bunch of guys and/or DP would really have to improve his defensive game a lot for him that to happen.

With out any trades/UFA extensions, we'll have:
Tang-Scuds
Olli-Des
Bort-Dumo
Harrington-Samuelsson

Then guys who might be in the convo but prolly not:
Ruopp
Mikkelson
D'Agostino

I also have a very hard time trusting Shero to not sign/re-sigh at least one FA Dman.

Even if he does make it in 15-16, that's 3 full season's after he was drafted in the top 10. That's not very good, IMO.

Michael8771*

Shero would have to move a bunch of guys and/or DP would really have to improve his defensive game a lot for him that to happen.

With out any trades/UFA extensions, we'll have:
Tang-Scuds
Olli-Des
Bort-Dumo
Harrington-Samuelsson

Then guys who might be in the convo but prolly not:
Ruopp
Mikkelson
D'Agostino

I also have a very hard time trusting Shero to not sign/re-sigh at least one FA Dman.

Even if he does make it in 15-16, that's 3 full season's after he was drafted in the top 10. That's not very good, IMO.
I think it's tremendous! Defensemen in general develop at a slower pace than the forwards do. But that's not the only variable here to consider. On a lowly team like the Flames or Oilers he's probably play next year if not sooner. But the Pens are so loaded they can wait for him a bit longer than most. So with that in mind I don't view this possible delay in DP being a mainstay in the NHL as a bad thing.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think it's tremendous! Defensemen in general develop at a slower pace than the forwards do. But that's not the only variable here to consider. On a lowly team like the Flames or Oilers he's probably play next year if not sooner. But the Pens are so loaded they can wait for him a bit longer than most. So with that in mind I don't view this possible delay in DP being a mainstay in the NHL as a bad thing.

Bobby Ryan didn't become a full-time NHLer until 4 years after he was drafted. Even for top 10 picks, a few years gestation time is common.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If it's only because of insane blueline depth that he doesn't make it, why is it "not very good" on Pouliot's part?

Dumba's already in the NHL but that doesn't make him superior to Pouliot.

Michael8771*

Bobby Ryan didn't become a full-time NHLer until 4 years after he was drafted. Even for top 10 picks, a few years gestation time is common.
Yes I know this, I was just pointing out that him not playing sooner at the NHL level is as much of a reflection of our depth at that position, than it is his development.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If it's only because of insane blueline depth that he doesn't make it, why is it "not very good" on Pouliot's part?

Staal > Toews because NHL first, everybody knows that.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

Well considering his draft position he should beat out at least one of those 6 guys.

Not sure what your point is on Dumba. He was picked before DP so the Pens has no shot at him. Truba on the other hand...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The guy I quoted...

And I don't know if he will, TBH. His defense scares me and that's the thing that takes the longest to learn.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. Nobody is trying to say otherwise. Nobody here is saying Pouliot was definitely the right pick. We're just saying that its too early to tell. Somehow you always take that to mean that we think Pouliot was definitely the right guy to take there.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I guess we'll have to wait and see. Nobody is trying to say otherwise. Nobody here is saying Pouliot was definitely the right pick. We're just saying that its too early to tell. Somehow you always take that to mean that we think Pouliot was definitely the right guy to take there.

Many have said that they trust that Shero made the right pick.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Many have said that they trust that Shero made the right pick.

and they have told you that you are absolutely wrong, and that Shero should be praised for the pick before we see it play out?

no, that didn't happen. I have never seen somebody act with anything resembling your certainty about that pick on the positive side of the argument. Not once.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
and they have told you that you are absolutely wrong, and that Shero should be praised for the pick before we see it play out?

no, that didn't happen. I have never seen somebody act with anything resembling your certainty about that pick on the positive side of the argument. Not once.

They've rolled out the all of the cliches over the past two years:

No one knows how they'll turn out
Scouting reports are worthless
Shero knows more than you do
He was Shero's BPA
You read scouting reports and formed an opinion? How dare you!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

He was Shero's BPA

ok. so I'm right. Nobody arguing with you is saying that you are definitely wrong. They are saying that you should stop acting like you are definitely right. Its the same thing we just went over with the Semin thing. You take speculation and assume its true to a fault.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013

He was Shero's BPA
How are those cliches -- he clearly was Shero's BPA. I assume that's a self-evident, undisputed fact?

As to whether he will turn out to have actually been BPA, only time will tell. 2 more years, at least. Anyone who says otherwise is jumping the gun on draft grading. If being reasonable is cliche, then yes, I guess a lot of us have been cliche about it.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
ok. so I'm right. Nobody arguing with you is saying that you are definitely wrong. They are saying that you should stop acting like you are definitely right. Its the same thing we just went over with the Semin thing. You take speculation and assume its true to a fault.

If you want to think that "nobody arguing with me is saying that I'm definitely wrong" then I guess you can tell yourself you're right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad