2014 Kings vs. 2024 Panthers

Result of a series between the 2014 Kings and 2024 Panthers?

• Kings in 4

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Kings in 5

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Kings in 6

Votes: 32 34.4%
  • Kings in 7

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Panthers in 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Panthers in 5

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Panthers in 6

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Panthers in 7

Votes: 9 9.7%

• Total voters

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Even with that, the Kings beating the Blackhawks in 2014 is a more impressive feat than anyone Florida beat last year so I think your point is moot
I didn't claim florida beat better teams. I disputed the claim that "LAK beat the top 3 teams in the league"

I pick florida because florida was a better team in the regular season, and was significantly more dominant in the playoffs.

Quick had a masterclass on route to that cup where LAK wasn't necessarily dominating games or even outplaying their opponents, but Florida faced and beat heavily goalie reliant teams like that in NYR and Boston

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I didn't claim florida beat better teams. I disputed the claim that "LAK beat the top 3 teams in the league"

I pick florida because florida was a better team in the regular season, and was significantly more dominant in the playoffs.

Quick had a masterclass on route to that cup where LAK wasn't necessarily dominating games or even outplaying their opponents, but Florida faced and beat heavily goalie reliant teams like that in NYR and Boston
Fair enough but I don't think there was anything all that great about NYR or Boston last year. Florida had a fantastic playoff campaign however and they deserve all the credit.

FWIW I think it's going to get harder and harder to compare these teams from different eras just because the game has changed and gotten much faster/quicker than before. The league was one way between about 2008-2017, 2018 and 2019 was kind of a transition period, then we had the two COVID seasons where everything was weird, but from 2022 onward I think the game has changed a little too much to reasonable compare teams from prior eras.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Fair enough but I don't think there was anything all that great about NYR or Boston last year. Florida had a fantastic playoff campaign however and they deserve all the credit.

FWIW I think it's going to get harder and harder to compare these teams from different eras just because the game has changed and gotten much faster/quicker than before. The league was one way between about 2008-2017, 2018 and 2019 was kind of a transition period, then we had the two COVID seasons where everything was weird, but from 2022 onward I think the game has changed a little too much to reasonable compare teams from prior eras.
What was great about NYR and Boston (specifically facing them in the playoffs) was Swayman and Shesterkin.

The same way Quick was for LAK

Reactions: Pablo El Perro

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
What was great about NYR and Boston (specifically facing them in the playoffs) was Swayman and Shesterkin.

The same way Quick was for LAK
Kings got past Crawford and Lundqvist that year. Lundqvist's talent speaks for itself. Crawford won the Jennings the year prior and should've won the Smythe in 2013 after having a better playoff run than Shesterkin or Swayman has had in his career. Crawford was regularly an excellent playoff goalie himself. Lights out in the 2015 SCF having IIRC back to back shutouts in games 5 & 6.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Kings got past Crawford and Lundqvist that year. Lundqvist's talent speaks for itself. Crawford won the Jennings the year prior and should've won the Smythe in 2013 after having a better playoff run than Shesterkin or Swayman has had in his career. Crawford was regularly an excellent playoff goalie himself. Lights out in the 2015 SCF having IIRC back to back shutouts in games 5 & 6.
what-da-hell-is-a-polar-bear-doing-in-arlington-texas-v0-ryja987uojbd1.jpeg

Crawford and Shesty quick playoff comp
Screenshot 2024-10-27 at 8.54.35 PM.png

Raccoon Jesus

We were right there
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The reason I brought up the bruins was in response to the claim that "LAK beat the 3 best teams in the league on route to the cup".

If Niemi didn't have an atrocious game 4 that series is over in 4 games and we never hear a word about that 2014 kings team.

If Florida loses game 7 we're talking about one of the all time choke jobs instead of talking about how amazing they are

Does that sound stupid? It should.

Imagine punishing teams for winning a bunch of all-important elimination games.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
Barkov until age 29

737gp 266g 445a 711p +122 2 selke`s

Kopitar until age 29

764gp 243g 441a 684p +79 1 selke

Kopitar also had a better team around him to start his career. Barkov has had a decent/good team around him for the last 4-5yrs now.
Kopitar was also going up against a prime Datsyuk and Bergeron for Selkes and +/- is a horrible argument to go by I hate when people use that. Also Kopitar put those points up in a lower scoring era. Either way I think Kopitar is better by a small margin..

Raccoon Jesus

We were right there
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Isn't that the definition of them being cup champions? If we're comparing cup winners they all won clinching games. So at that point wouldn't fewer losses be a bigger positive?

And like we said before--they nearly set a record for that two years before

So what do we have to do to get the Kings some credit here since they won in both fashions--a dominating low-game run to the Cup and a drawn-out, nearly longest Cup run ever with multiple elimination games vs. heavily favored opponents?

People are mocking it now but there was smoke in every round about how the Kings were going down. Who can forget the "can anyone beat the Sharks?" thread? Ducks were a powerhouse. Hawks were going to Threepeat if not for the Kings! And then the threads before the Final had Rangers fans having every Dman on NYR as better than their LA counterpart including McDonagh > Doughty and that everyone at forward was better other than Kopitar (and don't even get started with all the motherf***ing they did about Lundqvist >>>>> Quick). It's revisionist now because they won, but there's something to be said about LA cockroaching their way to that 2nd Cup, they were unbreakable, that's all anyone means by the elimination games.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Isn't that the definition of them being cup champions? If we're comparing cup winners they all won clinching games. So at that point wouldn't fewer losses be a bigger positive?

You can just as easily argue that more exposure to game sevens with a perfect record exhibited consistency.

The 2012 Kings went 16-4 and were statistically one of the best Cup winning teams of the modern era. But they get knocked all the time for having an easy road.

The 2014 Kings played three of the four best teams in the league, including the best team in the league, Chicago, and beat them all. On the road no less.

If the 2012 Kings get knocked for dominating weak teams, the 2014 Kings shouldn’t be knocked for winning close series against strong teams.

The whole thing is a nonsense argument. You play who’s in front of you. And the 2014 Kings were virtually unkillable.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
And like we said before--they nearly set a record for that two years before

So what do we have to do to get the Kings some credit here since they won in both fashions--a dominating low-game run to the Cup and a drawn-out, nearly longest Cup run ever with multiple elimination games vs. heavily favored opponents?

People are mocking it now but there was smoke in every round about how the Kings were going down. Who can forget the "can anyone beat the Sharks?" thread? Ducks were a powerhouse. Hawks were going to Threepeat if not for the Kings! And then the threads before the Final had Rangers fans having every Dman on NYR as better than their LA counterpart including McDonagh > Doughty and that everyone at forward was better other than Kopitar (and don't even get started with all the motherf***ing they did about Lundqvist >>>>> Quick). It's revisionist now because they won, but there's something to be said about LA cockroaching their way to that 2nd Cup, they were unbreakable, that's all anyone means by the elimination games.
Well when you're comparing to teams who were dominant in both aspects...

Nathaniel Skywalker

DIG IN!!! RiGHT NOW!!!
Oct 18, 2013
I think it's definitely debatable. Different eras. But I do think a whole lot of people around here have already forgotten prime Kopitar.

I mean, yes?

a two-way 40 goal scoring C that the Hawks couldn't contain or the Conn Smythe winning Mr. Game 7 or the legendary intangibles guy or the deadline pickup who found instant chemistry with Kopitar and scored 14 playoff goals?

DId you think that was an insult? Or were you just not watching hockey yet in 2014?

yeah I think i'll take Carter with Reinhart and while Tkachuk is unique so is Justin Williams, Mike Richards.
Aint no way that poster is doing Gaborik like that smh...

• Haha
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad