2014 Flyers Hall of Fame Inductee

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Jim Watson should be in but I also think any inclusion of Eric Lindros would make other nominees almost secondary. If Eric was honored with others, ultimately, the acceptance shown by those in attention would be fairly spread but the pre-induction publicity could be unbalanced. If you put Watson in with McCrimmon and/or Desjardins, for instance, it could be billed as a defensemen from different eras.

I agree... They usually do one at a time after the early days of populating it with so many past greats... I believe that they should select Watson and any other obviously missed/overlooked player or Organizational member and then set their sights on next time -- whenever that may be -- on the Nineties' greats... Lindros alone and then maybe Leclair and Rico, although what would more appropriate than a Lindros/Leclair joint induction?... The fly in the ointment as I see it though is if Recchi is inducted in the HHoF in 2015... how could they not include him in the PFHoF when he is in Toronto's? Maybe best do Jimmy now and then Rex all alone followed by Lindros/Leclair and then Rico/Lou Nolan.

In any case, with so many fine choices coming up, they should consider going to yearly inductions or multiple ones spaced out... this once every blue moon selection is for the birds. It's not like retiring jersey number, after all... The Phillies add to their Wall of Fame yearly; it's good to honor those who have served, as I see it.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I agree... They usually do one at a time after the early days of populating it with so many past greats... I believe that they should select Watson and any other obviously missed/overlooked player or Organizational member and then set their sights on next time -- whenever that may be -- on the Nineties' greats... Lindros alone and then maybe Leclair and Rico, although what would more appropriate than a Lindros/Leclair joint induction?... The fly in the ointment as I see it though is if Recchi is inducted in the HHoF in 2015... how could they not include him in the PFHoF when he is in Toronto's? Maybe best do Jimmy now and then Rex all alone followed by Lindros/Leclair and then Rico/Lou Nolan.

In any case, with so many fine choices coming up, they should consider going to yearly inductions or multiple ones spaced out... this once every blue moon selection is for the birds. It's not like retiring jersey number, after all... The Phillies add to their Wall of Fame yearly; it's good to honor those who have served, as I see it.

The video tribute by Eric Lindros at the closing of the Spectrum was the start. The winter classic should have removed any remaining ill-feelings. A Lindros-LeClair partnership would not be as potentially uncomfortable as say Lindros-Watson. it is a good suggestion. If Recchi is honored by the HHoF immediately upon eligibility, his election to the Flyers' Hall doesn't have to be as sudden. If we were talking a jersey number being issued or not, as in the case of Bill Barber (Jay Wells later wore number 7) and Mark Howe, then the team's position of retiring it once selected to the HHoF would apply. But I don't see that principle applied with Recchi and the two halls.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
The video tribute by Eric Lindros at the closing of the Spectrum was the start. The winter classic should have removed any remaining ill-feelings. A Lindros-LeClair partnership would not be as potentially uncomfortable as say Lindros-Watson. it is a good suggestion. If Recchi is honored by the HHoF immediately upon eligibility, his election to the Flyers' Hall doesn't have to be as sudden. If we were talking a jersey number being issued or not, as in the case of Bill Barber (Jay Wells later wore number 7) and Mark Howe, then the team's position of retiring it once selected to the HHoF would apply. But I don't see that principle applied with Recchi and the two halls.

Recchi was eligible this past voting but the strong selected group left him short a year or so... I'd expect his induction will be 2015... What I was getting at though was not his jersey retirement upon HHoF induction -- although I do support it -- rather that once he is in the HHoF, I'd feel it wrong for him to be there but not in the Flyers Hall... what I was saying was that placing him in the Flyers Hall is not as big a move as a number retirement, thus stepping up and immediately doing so after HHoF induction should be an easy decision... A number retirement would be more open to debate, even though I feel a precedent has been set... the argument could be with Rex's spending so many years in other Organizations. I've been down this road in detail on a couple of other threads' discussion, so I'll spare everyone here my argument. ;)

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
According to the flyers official twitter account @nhlflyers, Eric Lindros, John Leclair and Eric Desjardins are going to be inducted into the flyers hall of fame

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
According to the flyers official twitter account @nhlflyers, Eric Lindros, John Leclair and Eric Desjardins are going to be inducted into the flyers hall of fame

Just came to throw this up. Congrats to Lindros for finally getting his name in somewhere.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
As was suggested here by an insightful poster ( ;) ) Lindros and Leclair go in together... and Rico gets his own separate Night... The next wave has begun... IMHO they dropped the ball by passing over Jimmy Watson all these so many years, and he will never make it now.

Per Twitter:

Dave Isaac ‏@davegisaac
#Flyers will induct Eric Lindros, John LeClair and Eric Desjardins into their Hall of Fame this year. Nov. 20 for 88 & 10. Feb. 19 for 37.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Shame they weren't able to have either the LeClair or Desjardins ceremony happen against Montreal.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I thought that their numbers would be retired?

No, the Flyers have made their standard clear: get into the HHOF first, then your number is retired.

Pretty surprised Lindros didn't get his own night. Actually all three guys were probably popular enough to have their own night, but figured LeClair and Desjardins would be together because Lindros was the attraction that made the Flyers the hot ticket.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
No, the Flyers have made their standard clear: get into the HHOF first, then your number is retired.

Pretty surprised Lindros didn't get his own night. Actually all three guys were probably popular enough to have their own night, but figured LeClair and Desjardins would be together because Lindros was the attraction that made the Flyers the hot ticket.

Lindros and Leclair go together like peanut butter and jelly, like Lennon and McCartney, like Rock and Roll... they are forever linked in the annals of Orange and Black lore.

Seriously though... IMO it only makes sense to be inducted together just as they played/worked together... they were a perfect pair that ruled the NHL ice. I agree that Lindros was a star in his own right... as was Johnny for that matter... but I believe it only natural to have them together... and neither of them should feel slighted by sharing the night and the limelight, just as they shared all those goals and wins together. I think the Organization will do it up right, and it will be twice the pomp and pageantry, and they both will get their fair allotted time... and they will make each other's ceremony better, just as they made each other's game better on the very same ice surface.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lindros and Leclair do together like peanut butter and jelly, like Lennon and McCartney, like Rock and Roll... they are forever linked in the annals of Orange and Black lore.

Seriously though... IMO it only makes sense to be inducted together just as they played/worked together... they were a perfect pair that ruled the NHL ice. I agree that Lindros was a star in his own right... as was Johnny for that matter... but I believe it only natural to have them together... and neither of them should feel slighted by sharing the night and the limelight, just as they shared all those goals and wins together. I think the Organization will do it up right, and it will be twice the pomp and pageantry, and they both will get their fair allotted time... and they will make each other's ceremony better, just as they made each other's game better on the very same ice surface.

I get that, but I think LeClair is connected to Lindros more than the other way around. Despite their success together, I still think Lindros stands out enough that he could have had his own night. In fact, I'd say all three could have all had their own night, I'm surprised they're doing all three in one year.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I get that, but I think LeClair is connected to Lindros more than the other way around. Despite their success together, I still think Lindros stands out enough that he could have had his own night. In fact, I'd say all three could have all had their own night, I'm surprised they're doing all three in one year.

I hear you... my thinking is that the Organization is going to honor the Legion of Doom in this. I'm not really sure that Leclair is more connected to Lindros than the other way around for more of a reason than Lindros was the more noted player and the more gifted star that was followed by many fans. Johnny had the knack for scoring and the shot and the perchance to be in the right spot and capitalize on the chance. Lindros did give the room both from drawing players to him and winning tough puck battles... and he did feed Leclair often. Leclair scored a lot of goals that many/most other wingers would miss on though... Johnny got a lot of points off Lindros' passes, but Lindros got a lot of points off Leclair goals as well... and Leclair did draw much attention also. They went hand in hand, and worked well together to say the least. My guess is that each ended up with more total points than they would have had they not played together.

As for inducting three in one year... which is and will be listed as two in 2014 and one in 2015... Please remember that when they started the Flyers Hall of Fame and began populating it, they install multiple players each time, and did it often... Once they caught up the selections lessened and they were one at a time and quite a few years apart... Now that enough time has passed to allow the greats of the Nineties Era to be retired long enough and to be considered, it only make sense to go full steam ahead... and how can you not consider all of these three to get in at the first real opportunity once they decided to commence the process... One could honestly argue that Recchi could and should have been included, with only the fact that unlike the others who basically spent their entire productive careers in O&B, Rex spent many productive seasons with other teams... the three are more 'natural' Flyers than Recchi, even though none of the four were drafted by the Flyers... and only one retired a Flyer. JMO

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
How you gonna induct 2/3 of the legion of doom? Renberg wasn't on the same level, but still. You can't have 2/3 of the band in and leave out the drummer!

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
How you gonna induct 2/3 of the legion of doom? Renberg wasn't on the same level, but still. You can't have 2/3 of the band in and leave out the drummer!

Why not, when they can obviously select one brother... and blatantly omit arguably the more accomplished brother. :shakehead

While I probably will go to my grave regretting the slight of Jimmy Watson, no way do I believe Renberg belongs in the PFHoF when there are so many more deserving on the outside looking in... Now, if they ever have a Flyers Forward Line Hall of Fame, he would have to be included in it along side his much more talented line-mates. ;)

JMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad