Olympics: 2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

You make good points. Forget about the lines, but just the players. Your right, Toews line should be kept. I am an Eric Staal fan, and that is where we differ. When this guy is healthy and right, he is the complete package. Patrick Sharp plays great with Toews and can do it all as well- kill penalties, play Wing or Center, has good chemistry with Toews and internationally has been a very good player for Canada on the big ice. 33 is not too old. You need veterans like him and can not have basically all kids. Getzlaf and Perry played great the last olympics, and i know they had an off year, but on sheer talent, there is nobody better. I stand by my roster as of right now. I put thought into and still have Eberle and Kane as possibilities depending on how they paly next season. We will talk again after next season. :)

Canada is so deep up front it will be interesting to see who does NOT make the team. We really could go with 2 or 3 line ups, up front, and still have the best O in the tournament.

I like Kane too but he cost us the game against Slovakia (on the tying goal) at the WC and he worries me. That pass from behind the net to 4 Slovakian players was a disgrace.

Now, if you could just find us a goalie. :)

callan819

Mar 22, 2011
I believe im going to see 5 goalies, 16 defenceman and 25 forwards going to the trainning camp (same amount of players invited to the 2010 camp). Here is a list of my players that I could see being at the camp.

Stamkos
Crosby
Giroux
Spezza
Neal
Tavares
Toews
Perry
Seguin
Sharp
Eberle
E.Staal
Benn
Hopkins
B.Richards
Thornton
Hall
E. Kane
Iginla
Bergeron
Nash
Couture
Getzlaf
J.Staal
Landeskog

Letang
Weber
Pietrangelo
Boyle
Keith
Phaneuf
Doughty
Subban
Del Zotto
Seabrook
Giordano
Burns
Myers
Fowler
Murray
Campbell

Fleury
Schnieder
Price
Ward
Lethonen

As long as my team has some of those players on this list, we will do just fine

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
These are my 13 forwards and my lines as of right now-

Eric Staal Crosby Stamkos

Perry Getzlaf Skinner

Nash Tavares Giroux

Sharp Toews Mike Richards

T. Seguin

In my opinion RNH/Eberle/Hall will be better than Skinner/Nash/Sharp... and possibly Getzlaf/Perry/Richards by then. They're already arguably better than some of those guys and were rookies/sophomores this past season. Similarly, Seguin should also be very good when 2014 rolls around.

Jul 4, 2010
New Brunswick
I believe im going to see 5 goalies, 16 defenceman and 25 forwards going to the trainning camp (same amount of players invited to the 2010 camp). Here is a list of my players that I could see being at the camp.

Stamkos
Crosby
Giroux
Spezza
Neal
Tavares
Toews
Perry
Seguin
Sharp
Eberle
E.Staal
Benn
Hopkins
B.Richards
Thornton
Hall
E. Kane
Iginla
Bergeron
Nash
Couture
Getzlaf
J.Staal
Landeskog

Letang
Weber
Pietrangelo
Boyle
Keith
Phaneuf
Doughty
Subban
Del Zotto
Seabrook
Giordano
Burns
Myers
Fowler
Murray
Campbell

Fleury
Schnieder
Price
Ward
Lethonen

As long as my team has some of those players on this list, we will do just fine

:shakehead :help:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Aye Callan819 :

You need to check the nationalities on the players B9H3 bolded, buddy.

Fowler is Canadian but plays for Team USA.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
In my opinion RNH/Eberle/Hall will be better than Skinner/Nash/Sharp... and possibly Getzlaf/Perry/Richards by then. They're already arguably better than some of those guys and were rookies/sophomores this past season. Similarly, Seguin should also be very good when 2014 rolls around.

We'll see in two years, but as of right now, Nugent-Hopkins is not on my team. People forget he is only 19 years old and finished his first season of NHL Hockey. Let's see how he does next year before he is mentioned. Hall has been inconsistent all year. People want to put on the team since he is a fast skater, so just because he can skate fast, does not mean he is olympic worthy. I watched some Oiler games this year, and he floated in some of those games, was invisible and soft at times, and his defensive zone coverage was brutal. That will happen because Hall is still young, only 20 years old, finished his second NHL season and sort of injury prone. These guys are not yet ready for prime time. Not because of their age, but they have holes in their game. Maybe in 2018. I know posters like to throw their names, but guys like Perry and Getzlaf have proven it for multiple years in the NHL, the last Olympics and in past WHC. However, Eberle is a guy on my radar along with Kane. As of right now, they are not on my team, but could sneak in along with Logan Couture. I have been impressed with Eberle ever since I saw him play in the WJC. He played great with the Oilers the times I watched him. We'll see after next year how Eberle, Kane and Couture perform to see if I put them on my team and replace them with someone else. As of right now, my forward unit is set.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
We'll see in two years, but as of right now, Nugent-Hopkins is not on my team. People forget he is only 19 years old and finished his first season of NHL Hockey. Let's see how he does next year before he is mentioned. Hall has been inconsistent all year. People want to put on the team since he is a fast skater, so just because he can skate fast, does not mean he is olympic worthy. I watched some Oiler games this year, and he floated in some of those games, was invisible and soft at times, and his defensive zone coverage was brutal. That will happen because Hall is still young, only 20 years old, finished his second NHL season and sort of injury prone. These guys are not yet ready for prime time. Not because of their age, but they have holes in their game. Maybe in 2018. I know posters like to throw their names, but guys like Perry and Getzlaf have proven it for multiple years in the NHL, the last Olympics and in past WHC. However, Eberle is a guy on my radar along with Kane. As of right now, they are not on my team, but could sneak in along with Logan Couture. I have been impressed with Eberle ever since I saw him play in the WJC. He played great with the Oilers the times I watched him. We'll see after next year how Eberle, Kane and Couture perform to see if I put them on my team and replace them with someone else. As of right now, my forward unit is set.

Any credibility you had is gone. You didn't watch nearly enough of Hall. He is most definitely not a floater, soft, invisible, or inconsistent.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Any credibility you had is gone. You didn't watch nearly enough of Hall. He is most definitely not a floater, soft, invisible, or inconsistent.

I might have been harsh, but my point is he should not be on the team as of right now. Plain and simple. Things can change in two years however. The love for RNH, Hall, Benn, Neal, Bergeron, O'reilly to be on the 2014 team ahead of guys like Nash, Getzlaf and Perry are unwarranted. Things can change. We agree to disagree. I do not worry about what others think about my credibility. To each his own.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I might have been harsh, but my point is he should not be on the team as of right now. Plain and simple. Things can change in two years however. The love for RNH, Hall, Benn, Neal, Bergeron, O'reilly to be on the 2014 team ahead of guys like Nash, Getzlaf and Perry are unwarranted. Things can change. We agree to disagree. I do not worry about what others think about my credibility. To each his own.

Correct, Hall shouldn't be on the team as of now. He will have to have a big season to get there. Like all the other young guys you listed. But spreading completely erroneous information about a player doesn't help you make your point. And I won't be at all surprised if 3 of those kids you listed do make the team and none of Perry, Getzlaf, or Nash are there. Those guys need to have big seasons as well to prove they are still top end players.

Basically the only locks(barring injury) are Crosby, Stamkos, Toews, Giroux, Weber, Doughty, and Keith. Everyone else will need to prove themselves in the next season and a half.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Correct, Hall shouldn't be on the team as of now. He will have to have a big season to get there. Like all the other young guys you listed. But spreading completely erroneous information about a player doesn't help you make your point. And I won't be at all surprised if 3 of those kids you listed do make the team and none of Perry, Getzlaf, or Nash are there. Those guys need to have big seasons as well to prove they are still top end players.

Basically the only locks(barring injury) are Crosby, Stamkos, Toews, Giroux, Weber, Doughty, and Keith. Everyone else will need to prove themselves in the next season and a half.

I agree with that. I am not intentionally trying to spread erroneous information. Hall has the "Potential" to be a great player, but i am annoyed at the fact that people are already setting a spot aside for him in Sochi 2014. Both RNH and Hall are very young guys, and you just can not set aside spots for them sitting here two years away. Right now, neither of them deserve to be on the team. Maybe if I seen Hall at this year's WHC, my mind would have changed just like it changed with Skinner. We'll see after next year. Do people forget that Corey Perry led the league in goals last year? Nash played on a brutal Columbus team. In some of the games I saw, he was a one man show, but his stats do not reflect it. Getzlaf took a dumb penalty, but in the last Olympics and over the course of his career, he has proven his worth. Hall, RNH, Neal, and Ladd need to show it to me next year before I consider these guys over Perry, Nash and Getzlaf. Just to clarify, my team was based on where we sit right now. Good chatting with you.

Last edited:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I agree with that. I am not intentionally not spreading erroneous information. Hall has the "Potential" to be a great player, but i am annoyed at the fact that people are already setting a spot aside for him in Sochi 2014. Both RNH and Hall are very young guys, and you just can not set aside spots for them sitting here two years away. Right now, neither of them deserve to be on the team. Maybe if I seen Hall at this year's WHC, my mind would have changed just like it changed with Skinner. We'll see after next year. Do people forget that Corey Perry led the league in goals last year? Nash played on a brutal Columbus team. In some of the games I saw, he was a one man show, but his stats do not reflect it. Getzlaf took a dumb penalty, but in the last Olympics and over the course of his career, he has proven his worth. Hall, RNH, Neal, and Ladd need to show it to me next year before I consider these guys over Perry, Nash and Getzlaf. Just to clarify, my team was based on where we sit right now. Good chatting with you.

It's an online hockey forum. People are entitled to their opinions. Hall is a supremely talented player and plays a position Canada is traditionally not as strong at(LW). There are legit reasons for some people think guys like Hall(and RNH) could be good enough to be on the team in 2 years. There are also legit reasons for people to think both kids won't be on the team. That is why we have the discussion.

And good chatting with you as well.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I think there's an argument to be made for Hall, especially if he breaks out and scores 35 goals next year.

RNH though, I can't see. He's obviously talented, but Team Canada usually goes with experience over talent. Doughty was the youngest player to go in 2010 and he was originally expected to play a very minimal role.

DyerMaker66*

There's only so many spots. IMO Benn/Neal/Kane/Hall will have to fight over similar roles and at best only two make it (unless they take Benn as 4th line C).

Nash has 3rd line LW locked up (next to Toews) and at least one of Tavares/Stamkos should be moved to LW on a scoring line.

Nash shouldn't have anything "locked up".

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
I'm choosing a roster based on speed, skill and quick transition play.

LW Giroux C Crosby RW Stamkos
LW Nash C Toews RW Eberle
LW Benn C Getzlaf RW Perry
LW M.Richards C O'Reilly RW E.Staal

D Doughty D Weber
D Keith D Pietrangelo
D Subban D Letang

G Price G Luongo

Too many extras to list at every position. I can definitely see a couple of young guys making the roster like Skinner, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, E.Kane, and Seguin at forward and then Myers and probably more I'm forgetting at D.

Hopefully a new goalie cements his reputation before the tournament and we don't have the goalies I listed. Overall, good team I think though. A lot of RH Dmen, but they were the best two-way D I could think of.

DyerMaker66*

Agreed. When I first posted my roster I forgot about him. He's solid. I had Luongo and M.A. Fluery. :amazed:

:laugh:

I see Fleury having a bounce-back year. I see Bobby Lou nowhere near this team if Yzerman makes the right decisions.

CH4

Jul 21, 2004
Chicoutimi
How come Martin St-Louis is nowhere near any list?

and isn't Brad richards like much superior to Mike?

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
:laugh:

I see Fleury having a bounce-back year. I see Bobby Lou nowhere near this team if Yzerman makes the right decisions.

Haha hopefully he does. Yeah Bobby will be old by then as well. Hopefully he's like that rare $13 bottle of white-ish wine that you crack open out of desperation one night, only to find that it has gotten less bad with age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad