2014 20th Overall - Nick Schmaltz

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
All the Russians fell. No surprise there. If they work out for the Blues, then good for them. They might stay and develop or they might decide to sign with a KHL club later. Who knows. Id rather not see the Hawks trending in that direction with viable NA prospects available. Blues are extremely short on high end skill so they need to take that risk especially drafting at the lower end of the first round.

Extremely happy with drafting Schmaltz regardless of what the other prospects do.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
What I like about the pick is that it also fits into our "when will they be ready timeline". There are a glut of guys either knocking at the door or are a year away from that. They took a guy that will need a few years so he's not going to be in the current prospect log jam.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
we have the time to wait and take this project. In 2 years he'll get the bust label while some drafted in the same draft are in the NHL. Easy to predict unless he scores 2 ppg in the NCAA

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
Intriguing pick, we shall see how he pans out.

I'm glad we didn't pick Kapanen, every time i saw him play, he didn't impress me, only thing impressing was his skating ability.

Though it could be just the Jokerit homerism in me hating every other liiga teams players :laugh:

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I am happy that he isn't ready to crack the line up yet.
We have more than enough time to wait and see him develop, and by the time he is ready to come to the big club, I'm sure there will probably be a spot for him with guys getting older.

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND
I haven't seen him play much, but being a UND fan I'm excited about this pick. From what I've seen out of UND for the last 10+ years is that they are as good as any place else at forcing their players to learn a two way game (Toews, Zajac, Oshie, Parise, Brock Nelson just to name a few recently). UND is always one of the top schools as far as talent in the NCAA, but also one of the hardest working. Schmaltz will learn very quick, as other 1st rounders have, that it takes 100% effort every night or he'll be watching from the press box.

Who knows, you might get his brother to play another two more years of NCAA, loophole his way out of the Blues system, and join Nick in the Hawks system. Can always dream right?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I would kinda rather hold off on laughing at anything on the Blues face until after I see Schmaltzy turn into a better NHL player than Fabbri.

my comments weren't meant as a way to say the Blues didn't get a good player, I commented on the Blues face when we drafted Schmaltz because some people on here seem to think we didn't need to trade up to get him. If we didn't jump the Blues, we wouldn't have gotten Schmaltz, and the reaction by the Blues was priceless (plus it was known they targeted him for a while now).

I am not sure who will be the better players (Schmaltz or Fabbri), I am just saying that Nick Schmaltz was not going to be on the board at pick #22 and Stan jumped up to get THE guy he targeted and feared would be gone. I have no problems with Bowman making a move to land the guy he wanted - especially at the expense of the Blues!

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
I've seen Schmaltz has put some decent numbers on the #1 ranked team in college hockey. Anyone seen him play who could provide an update?

I'm seeing he was injured?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
He was out for about three weeks or so but is back.

I haven't seen him since coming back from injury but he was looking really good before he got hurt in the couple games I saw.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
He was out for about three weeks or so but is back.

I haven't seen him since coming back from injury but he was looking really good before he got hurt in the couple games I saw.

Thanks!

What's his game looking like? He playing the cerebral wait in the weeds type of game? With the older competition is he physical and defensively responsible enough to project as a center?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Thanks!

What's his game looking like? He playing the cerebral wait in the weeds type of game? With the older competition is he physical and defensively responsible enough to project as a center?

Small sample size, but he's been great with the puck. Really good...creating tons of offensive opportunities for himself but also linemates just because teams pay such close attention to him, even without the puck. That part of his game has been great.

Defensively he's been ok. Not bad, not great, but ok. He's not overly physical defensively but he doesn't shy away from contact or get knocked off the puck easily. He's tough to catch, but even when he does get caught he's pretty strong on the puck. Still guilty of thinking offense first too often; stuff like leaving the defensive zone for a pass too soon trying to get on a break is the best example. A lot of that can be taught and corrected, but you can't teach what he does on offense.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Small sample size, but he's been great with the puck. Really good...creating tons of offensive opportunities for himself but also linemates just because teams pay such close attention to him, even without the puck. That part of his game has been great.

Defensively he's been ok. Not bad, not great, but ok. He's not overly physical defensively but he doesn't shy away from contact or get knocked off the puck easily. He's tough to catch, but even when he does get caught he's pretty strong on the puck. Still guilty of thinking offense first too often; stuff like leaving the defensive zone for a pass too soon trying to get on a break is the best example. A lot of that can be taught and corrected, but you can't teach what he does on offense.

Thanks. Keep us updated.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
If you guys could put a timeframe on Nick Schmaltz, when do you believe he will be in the NHL, and what's his upside? Offensive upside?

IMO, It is tough to picture him getting a shot for a long time with the Hawks given he seems suited to a top 6 center role, but Teows and Teravainen should be in those roles the next few years.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
If you guys could put a timeframe on Nick Schmaltz, when do you believe he will be in the NHL, and what's his upside? Offensive upside?

IMO, It is tough to picture him getting a shot for a long time with the Hawks given he seems suited to a top 6 center role, but Teows and Teravainen should be in those roles the next few years.

I think the jury is still out with TT and whether he ends up playing wing or center.
The Hawks will still need to source out that illusive 2LC before Schmaltz is ready.
Maybe we go after Draisaitl from Edmonton for Crow and a good D prospect .. not that he's ready quite yet either!

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I think the jury is still out with TT and whether he ends up playing wing or center.
The Hawks will still need to source out that illusive 2LC before Schmaltz is ready.
Maybe we go after Draisaitl from Edmonton for Crow and a good D prospect .. not that he's ready quite yet either!

What sort of offensive upside do you feel Schmaltz has when he does make the show?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
If Schmaltz reaches his upside, he's a top-6 forward with high-end scoring upside. I could see him being a 20-25G, 60Pt forward. Valuable PP forward, playing 2nd line minutes.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Jordan Schmaltz isn't signing with STL this summer... Sr year next year... Hayes-em!

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I was thinking about this a bit. I wonder why we did not trade Hayes rights to FL shortly after we traded his brother? They problem is no team is going to give up more then a 2nd rounder and that is what you get with compensation of 1sts that don't sign.

Were was that posted that jordan is not going to sign. It makes sense if you waited until after the NHL season ends and you cannot burn a year of your ECL like Paliotta did then go full free Agent next year. IMO.

Last edited:

Nothingman*

If Schmaltz reaches his upside, he's a top-6 forward with high-end scoring upside. I could see him being a 20-25G, 60Pt forward. Valuable PP forward, playing 2nd line minutes.

And there is no rush for him to reach his potential. I think he needs 1 more year minimum at UND before going pro though.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I was thinking about this a bit. I wonder why we did not trade Hayes rights to FL shortly after we traded his brother? They problem is no team is going to give up more then a 2nd rounder and that is what you get with compensation of 1sts that don't sign.

Were was that posted that jordan is not going to sign. It makes sense if you waited until after the NHL season ends and you cannot burn a year of your ECL like Paliotta did then go full free Agent next year. IMO.

Hawks like everyone was lead to believe that Hayes was going to sign

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
And there is no rush for him to reach his potential. I think he needs 1 more year minimum at UND before going pro though.

No rush. I don't see him staying past next year though. I think he'll be slightly better than a PpG next year and the Hawks will sign him. Give him a year in Rockford and then see if he's ready.

The Hawks will be looking to bring in their "next wave" next summer and the year after. Motte, Hayden, Calnan, Louis, Norell, Dahlstrom, Press, Snuggerud, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad