Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part XIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
This isn't a situation where the Rangers have only 1 good young player. Miller. Fast. Hayes. Lindberg. All are in the NHL or very close to being in the NHL. How many young players can a Cup Contender hope to ride all season?

They have Buch and Duclair on the way on the wing who look to be closeish.

If Hanzal is indeed available, he kills multiple birds with a single stone. Face offs. Size. Center depth. Defensive awareness. And he is signed past this season. Extend the window.

Many people have mentioned it. This team is getting older. It's obvious they believe they are close. The MSL deal last year is just one example. It's time to make a couple of deals to really to for it. Get Hanzal. Get Sekera. Time to put the chips on the table.

I have almost zero doubt that Glenny Boy feels exactly the same way.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Miller shouldn't traded. He probably won't be.

Many of these beat writers, they use speculation to write their stories. Not much real basis. Not much logic. Click bait.

It's like co-workers you have that think you need to trade young talent when it doesn't immediately show results.

Miller is 21. Already on a powerplay unit. Already showing games where he makes a great impact.

To put that in perspective, there are some players that become stars in this league that don't even make their debuts until age 23-24.

Obviously this doesn't ensure anything... but Miller isn't a guy that these ****ing beat writers should continue including in their cockameme articles.

I don't want you to take it like I think Miller is chopped liver. He is a solid young player. However the Rangers are very much in a win now mode. They need a couple of pieces to help out them over the top hopefully. Time to make some hard decisions.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
I don't want you to take it like I think Miller is chopped liver. He is a solid young player. However the Rangers are very much in a win now mode. They need a couple of pieces to help out them over the top hopefully. Time to make some hard decisions.
agreed. Having duclair and buchnevich coming soon with hayes makes it a little easier to trade milller in the right deal

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Two or three good prospects simply isn't a pool.

Any team, especially a team about to be cap strapped in a big way, needs more than that to move forward.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i think jt miller is the one guy this organization will trade. imo, av doesn't care for him.

and he does have value to a guy like maloney in full rebuild mode. a deal is there for the making.

jt miller for vermette is a trade that i can see happening.

for once, we seem fairly stacked with forward chips. both young roster players, hartford kids and prospects. they all can't play.

if we are serious about making a serious run this season, i think jt miller is a guy who would be moved for an impact player like vermette.

obviously guys like jmoore and mcilrath are in play too.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Maybe Miller was on that first line last night for another reason.....like being showcased for the Carolina brass . :)

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I 100% think it is very likely Miller gets dealt.

I would rather trade one of Duke/Buch. That would be going for it...keeping Miller and adding Hanzal to the lineup.

And Miller for Vermette would make me rage. Only way you trade Miller is for a player with term like Hanzal.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I really don't see it happening for cap reasons. Miller, or a player in his contract phase is going to be necessary to even get under the cap. Losing that and replacing it with another, bigger contract makes it hard to even fit two of MSL, Zucc snd Hagelin it I understand correctly.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i like miller.

im not sure av is a fan.

vermette rental for miller seems like an overpayment

hanzal gonna cost a lot. can't afford really.

we have kids to replace millers minutes next year. 33 yr old vermette would go elsewhere for his 5/5 deal.

so overpayment ?? maybe, unless we parade in manhattan

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I really don't see it happening for cap reasons. Miller, or a player in his contract phase is going to be necessary to even get under the cap. Losing that and replacing it with another, bigger contract makes it hard to even fit two of MSL, Zucc snd Hagelin it I understand correctly.

A player like Hanzal would be worth that sacrifice (especially since he actually has a cap friendly deal). Vermette, not so much.

Miller is a player - yes, he does have some knucklehead tendencies, but if he irons those out, he can be a Ryan Kesler type for this (or any other) team. Given his flaws, I can totally see him being moved to bolster the run - but for a rental? No way. He has way too much upside.

As for Skjei, Buchnevich and Duclair, you canNOT move them. The former has top pairing potential and the latter two both have legitimate first line scoring wing potential. In a cap league, where the cap may actually fall in the near future, assets like that are GOLD.

Lindberg, McIlrath, the goalies, Tambellini, Graves... they're all available in the right deal, rental or otherwise. Miller yes, but only for a guy who can contribute beyond this year. The other three? No freakin' way I move them.

Honestly, given the plummeting loonie, I'm hoping we see deadline prices like last year's.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I've been reading up on Vermette this season and apparently he's not having that great of a year. I believe it was Bob McKenzie who said tons of teams are interested in him so the price could even go higher than a prospect and a 1st round pick.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
I've been reading up on Vermette this season and apparently he's not having that great of a year. I believe it was Bob McKenzie who said tons of teams are interested in him so the price could even go higher than a prospect and a 1st round pick.

Lets not be one of those teams :)

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I still find it hard to believe any contending team is going to give up a 1st in this kind of draft for a rental

nyr5186

May 12, 2002
New Orleans
Visit site
Everyone talking about a trade centering around Miller for Hanzal. I think its more likely that Hagelin would be involved honestly. He has more value than Miller and has a much more unique skill set, which might be more attractive to a young team like the Coyotes. For us, losing Hagelin would hurt, but we may not be able to afford him anyway if we want to hold on to Stepan, Zucc and St.Louis going forward. Duclair will replace Hags' speed and then some starting next year. We also get a player in return who very much makes us a harder team to play against and addresses several key problems (faceoffs, size).

I also wonder if we can add some more (Moore?) to a deal to get Ulfie's son Philip Samuelsson. I don't know how highly AZ ranks him in their D depth, but it just seems like a match made in Sather. Plus he's another BC guy, fits right in.

Hanzal and P. Samuelsson

for

Hagelin, J. Moore, Kristo and a 2nd

?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

What will drive the price is that Vermette is so easy to fit into a lineup. He is a good player, but you also must not have a opening on like the first two line RW position to get him, or whatever. He can play center or wing on any of your top 3 lines. He is a good player with a lot of speed etc. many teams will be interested.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I still find it hard to believe any contending team is going to give up a 1st in this kind of draft for a rental

I would be very very suprised if this years drafts come anywhere near the best drafts 5-10 years ago.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
While I'd love to add Hanzal I'm worried about the cap consequences going forward. Hanzal is signed beyond this season and since we are already hard up against the cap it'd probably mean 2 of MSL/Zucca/Hagelin are gone.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
What will drive the price is that Vermette is so easy to fit into a lineup. He is a good player, but you also must not have a opening on like the first two line RW position to get him, or whatever. He can play center or wing on any of your top 3 lines. He is a good player with a lot of speed etc. many teams will be interested.

The flexibility that his presence offers teams is a significant aspect of the attraction.

Offensively capable and proven.

Defensively aware and smart.

Very good on draws.

Durable and dependable. Has missed a total of 9 games since becoming an everyday NHL'er 0 in the last 4 years.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Many people have mentioned it. This team is getting older. It's obvious they elieve they are close. The MSL deal last year is just one example. It's time to make a couple of deals to really to for it. Get Hanzal. Get Sekera. Time to put the chips on the table.
Two things. I actually did not realize how old this team is, but they are actually the 3rd oldest team in the league. I realize that some of that is weighed down by MSL & Boyle.

I realize that they are going for it. But the question that needs to be asked before we continue to trade away chips and begin to trade away young players is that realistically, are the Rangers true contenders to win the Cup? In other words, are they on the same tier as the elite of the elite? Or Are they just contenders to make a lot of noise but not be able to compete with some of those teams?

I realize that for the period of about a year, they have one of the best records in the league, but for my money they are not on the tier that is "one player away". They were not when they made the MSL trade.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I would consider JT, J Moore and a pick a pretty big return.

Except it makes absolutely no sense to make that deal. We are tight against the cap already and will have to let one of MSL, Zucc or Hagelin go next year. Trading Miller for Hanzal only makes that situation worse, and losing John Moore would make us even thinner on defense. Hunwick has been decent, but we are then one injury away from having McIlrath, Allen or Kostka in the lineup.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
agreed. Having duclair and buchnevich coming soon with hayes makes it a little easier to trade milller in the right deal
You have absolutely no idea of how Buchenvich will fair. Or if Duclair was a quick blast of brilliance and then nothing.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
While I'd love to add Hanzal I'm worried about the cap consequences going forward. Hanzal is signed beyond this season and since we are already hard up against the cap it'd probably mean 2 of MSL/Zucca/Hagelin are gone.

I'd prefer to have a 6'6 center capable of ~40 points and a defensive stalwart than one of the 3 wingers above though. Center is a position that needs to be strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad