2014-2015 CIS Recruits Thread

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Great observation by The Hound......There are players who want to get their degree and leave. Some will take summer courses to finish up in 3 years so they can get on with their lives. Hockey is "fun", but not a career for these guys.

CIS Supporter

Mar 24, 2014
Yeah Reds could be in trouble if indeed all of the first year players and other players mentioned here are gone.

That would mean they lose 11 skaters and 1 goalie:
Cutting
Duffy
Maclise
Thomas
Nessbitt
Desnoyers
MacNeil
Priamo
Lavigne
Kewin
Shutron
Culligan

Plus lost 2 skaters during season:
Labardo
Houde-Carron

Many spots to fill.

Everyone on here is speculating why so many people are leaving early. Would love to know the real story?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Yeah Reds could be in trouble if indeed all of the first year players and other players mentioned here are gone.

Cutting
Duffy
Maclise
Thomas
Nessbitt
Desnoyers
MacNeil
Priamo
Lavigne
Kewin
Shutron
Culligan

Labardo
Houde-Carron

Many spots to fill.

Everyone on here is speculating why so many people are leaving early. Would love to know the real story?

Where is Nesbitt going?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
As far as UNB goes, Sparks has also moved on or been moved out?

I believe he chose to move on (at least that's what he told everyone through the Gleaner story). I also believe Gardiner has decided to stay for one more tenure which means Todd would have to wait longer to get the Head spot and may have felt it was time to do something else instead and then apply later when there is an opening (his resume is pretty good - I don't think he would have to be an 'active' coach to be considered - when the time comes)

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
It's strange...in the last few years we have seen a number of guys leave UNB well before playing their 4 years...guys like Wiebe/Wudrick/Houde-Caron (although that appeared to be academic related based on everything I've seen)...and now possibly a couple more this year. I don't ever remember this many guys leaving early for other opportunities.

Wiebe was a rental - he had too much talent to be in the CIS. He wasn't coming back regardless.

Wudrick just didn't have his head in the game at UNB. I think he wanted to be a finesse guy, but with his size he need to bang a bit more.

Houde-Caron graduated at Christmas and was not accepted into the MBA program so he was not eligible to play. Not his fault.

It's a different story every time, but most of the time is related to either ice-time or personalities.

I agree though - losing more than 2 (no grad/5-years) is not an everyday occurrence.

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com

Cutting
Duffy
Maclise
Thomas
Nessbitt
Desnoyers

MacNeil- graduated (I believe)
Priamo - no eligibility
Lavigne - no eligibility
Kewin - no eligibility
Shutron - no eligibility
Culligan - no eligibility

Labardo
Houde-Carron - graduated

Many spots to fill.

I'm surprised at Thomas leaving - he spent the year red-shirting to be here (maybe with the prospect of Tranior and Mindardi plus a few more rookies - it was looking like another year on 3 or 4th line! I hadn't heard about Nesbitt - he wasn't mentioned in any other threads I saw - he could have finished his degree with Summer school. I saw a lot of potential in Maclise, but maybe playing the 4th line is a big change for a someone who was a stud in Junior 'A' (MVP and National title holder). Labardo wanted more ice time and didn't like being pushed out by Halley (my thought).

Cutting and Nesbitt will be hard to replace.

Where it looked like a great Sophomore team - a lot of work will be needed to get some strong freshman talent.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I'm surprised at Thomas leaving - he spent the year red-shirting to be here (maybe with the prospect of Tranior and Mindardi plus a few more rookies - it was looking like another year on 3 or 4th line! I hadn't heard about Nesbitt - he wasn't mentioned in any other threads I saw - he could have finished his degree with Summer school. I saw a lot of potential in Maclise, but maybe playing the 4th line is a big change for a someone who was a stud in Junior 'A' (MVP and National title holder). Labardo wanted more ice time and didn't like being pushed out by Halley (my thought).

Cutting and Nesbitt will be hard to replace.

Where it looked like a great Sophomore team - a lot of work will be needed to get some strong freshman talent.

I think a lot of this is over speculation!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

Yeah...with the 5th year/graduating guys leaving + Duffy/Mignardi already on board it seemed like they had a solid, young group that would be/grow together for 3 or so years and wouldn't need too many more spots filled going into next year...now it appears they will have a very, very young team this year...almost as if their window was pushed back a year.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
I think a lot of this is over speculation!

Yup - but he is right, way to early to start speculating on who will or wont be back in September.

UNB fans should be concerned with the exodus of players. It only takes time for the word to get out into the hockey community that the Reds overrecruit, some players don't get the icetime they expected and that MacDougall is a difficult coach to play for. Gardner has proven that he has what it takes to be a success but his demeanor is much better suited to CHL or pro teams.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
Tyson Dallman, West Kelowna Warriors BCHL to Brock University Badgers

Mitch Deacon, Whitecourt AJHL to Nipissing Lakers

Colten Mayor, Whitecourt AJHL to Western Mustangs

Austin Yadlowski, Fort MacMurray Oil Barons AJHL to Mount Royal

Brian McFarlane, Elliot Lake Bobcats NOJHL to Windsor

Christiano DiGiacinto, Hamilton Redwings OJHL to Windsor

Jeremy Gottzman, Milton OJHL to Carleton

Nick Tetley, Mississauga OJHL to Wilfred Laurier

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Here's the story from today's Chronicle Herald about Duffy going from UNB to SMU...

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/1207007-duffy-bolts-unb-for-hockey-huskies

It also mentions SMU's other recruits:
Cole Cheveldave (G) - Prince Albert (WHL)
Steven Trojanovic (D) - Guelph (OHL)
Michael Curtis (F) - Erie (OHL)
Mike Aviani (F) - Spokane (WHL)

Just looking at the numbers of the guys listed above, it seems Aviani is the big get as he put up over 80 points last season.

The article also notes that Bloodoff, Tanaka, Stickland, MacKinnon, and Marchand have graduated. So, 5 guys are gone and 5 guys are coming in...does that mean SMU is done for the summer, or did they end last year with an extra spot or two?

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Re:SMU

Cheveldave had a good 19 year-old year in the WHL, but struggled this season in PA, losing his #1 job at the start of the the play-offs.
His Coach in PA was former Golden Bear and one-time Ottawa Senator Head Coach Cory Clouston.
I know he inquired about Alberta, but the Bears have Kurtis Mucha and Luke Siemens (PA's #1 in 2012-13) back.
Aviani lit it up playing with WHL Scoring Champ Mitch Holmberg in Spokane. Holmberg signed AHL/ECHL deal with Edmonton's affiliate in OKC.
Former Golden Bear Kris Knoblauch had Curtis in Erie, he part of a turnaround that saw the team go from 19 to 52 wins this season.
Overall good additions for SMU

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Moderately related to recruiting: Waterloo released their academic stats this morning for the 2013-14 school year. The team academic average was 79.3%, and 12 of 24 Warriors will earn Academic All-Canadian status for 2013-14.

This is a double-edged sword as far as recruiting goes (as previously discussed on another board about UBC's program). On one hand, Waterloo is clearly an academics-first school that will appeal to a lot of scholarly CHL grads - these numbers will only help that reputation. On the other hand though, it narrows the recruiting field, as some possible players simply don't have the grades to get into a UBC or Waterloo.

Always interesting to think about this time of year.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Moderately related to recruiting: Waterloo released their academic stats this morning for the 2013-14 school year. The team academic average was 79.3%, and 12 of 24 Warriors will earn Academic All-Canadian status for 2013-14.

This is a double-edged sword as far as recruiting goes (as previously discussed on another board about UBC's program). On one hand, Waterloo is clearly an academics-first school that will appeal to a lot of scholarly CHL grads - these numbers will only help that reputation. On the other hand though, it narrows the recruiting field, as some possible players simply don't have the grades to get into a UBC or Waterloo.

Always interesting to think about this time of year.

This is also an issue for McGill, Queen's and other 'top end' academic schools. Add to this the fact that most OUA schools do not offer AFAs for hockey - a CHL grad will only receive his CHL package and no additional funds (while CW and AUS schools do offer AFAs for hockey).

It's interesting though that these same schools have no problems finding Football players.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
It's interesting though that these same schools have no problems finding Football players.

Aside from Queen's, all of the top (academic) universities in Canada have perennially weak football programs. Toronto, McGill, UBC, and Waterloo have traditionally been at the bottom of the standings. So, they find football payers, but not the best ones.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Aside from Queen's, all of the top (academic) universities in Canada have perennially weak football programs. Toronto, McGill, UBC, and Waterloo have traditionally been at the bottom of the standings. So, they find football payers, but not the best ones.

I would describe UBC football as mid-CW. They had some really good years and last year gave Calgary their toughest battle.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
I would describe UBC football as mid-CW. They had some really good years and last year gave Calgary their toughest battle.

The High School and Junior Football programs in BC are very strong. The Junior League would be like the CHL of football. UBC could be a perennial powerhouse in football if sports was a priority over academics.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The High School and Junior Football programs in BC are very strong. The Junior League would be like the CHL of football. UBC could be a perennial powerhouse in football if sports was a priority over academics.

I don't think any university in Canada could be accused of stressing athletics over academics.

In football the BC junior league has strong franchises in cities without CIS football. They have competed quite well for talent by offering their own scholarship programs. Instead of developing players for UBC they instead compete for players.

IAE, UBC's football program is like the rest in the CW in that it has its good years and its lean years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad