Speculation: 2014-15 Stars Trade Talk: v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Fiddler is coming back next season unless he either asks to go or the offer is so good Dallas can't pass it up.

We're actually stuck with Moen unless he quits, doubtful, or gets assigned to Cedar Park. I'll believe that when I see it.

There's two veteran bottom six forwards. How many does one team need? See what it's doing for Boston right now? In part it cost them both Seguin and Boychuk because they had a ton of cap tied up in below average players. Does anyone think a bottom six of Roussel, Eakin, Garbutt, Fiddler, Moen, and maybe one of McKenzie/Sceviour or Glennie/Faksa is a bad mix?

By jettisoning the past prime forwards they make room for a kid or two, free up cap to get a defenseman and have money to spend when Nuke etc want a raise.

One of Daley/Goligoski should go because it's not working. It's impossible for us to know if Goligoski's regression is decline, a bad stretch or because of his injury but he's struggled and on track to record his worst pts/gm since his terrible 2nd year here in Dallas.

Daley on the other hand is on pace to shatter his previous offensive totals while racking up a team worst -15 and has been nothing less than a trainwreck in his own zone.

If there's any hope of improving the defense before the kids get 3 years of NHL experience under their belts at least one of those two veterans needs to go. Whether they're replaced internally with a kid or Nill goes out and gets a different veteran is almost immaterial at this time. They're part of the problem on defense and the rest of the core isn't good enough to cover for their issues.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

I don't get why you guys think Dallas needs Hall?

You have plenty of talent at forward and the cap room next season to add more. It just happens that Nichushkin and Peverley are out for the season.

Next season you could easily end up with something like this:
Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin
N.Foligno(FA) - Spezza - Hemsky
Roussel - Eakin - Ritchie
McKenzie - Fiddler - Garbutt
Moen

I mean, that is one hell of a lineup if you ask me! I believe N.Foligno played with Spezza in Ottawa and they had some chemistry. So someone like that would be a great fit and you have the money to go after him too! It makes more sense to sign an FA or 2 then make trades where you could lose a good player...

The key concern is a 1st pair shutdown guy. If you read the BONUS question in this interview with Nill he admits to that himself:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=744214&navid=nhl:topheads

Last edited:

NukeJukes43

I don't get why you guys think Dallas needs Hall?

You have plenty of talent at forward and the cap room next season to add more. It just happens that Nichushkin and Peverley are out for the season.

Next season you could easily end up with something like this:
Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin
N.Foligno(FA) - Spezza - Hemsky
Roussel - Eakin - Ritchie
McKenzie - Fiddler - Garbutt
Moen

I mean, that is one hell of a lineup if you ask me! I believe N.Foligno played with Spezza in Ottawa and they had some chemistry. So someone like that would be a great fit and you have the money to go after him too! It makes more sense to sign an FA or 2 then make trades where you could lose a good player...

The key concern is a 1st pair shutdown guy. If you read the BONUS question in this interview with Nill he admits to that himself:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=744214&navid=nhl:topheads

That is the exact kind of thinking that has our team so far behind. The dumbest thing we can do is continue to pisss money away at free agents who "had" chemistry at some point with one of our players. I want players that show up to play no matter who they are with.

Pretty sure if 1-2 punches meant anything it wouldn't be Spezza and Seguin doing all the work for us.

MetalGodAOD*

So many teams, including my Rangers, screwed up royally on the Anton.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
So many teams, including my Rangers, screwed up royally on the Anton.

He was the only player I cared about on free agency day. I'm not a fan of the Rangers but I was a huge fan of Stralman and was really happy when he signed with my Eastern team. He's pretty much exactly what the Stars are missing right now so it's depressing to think about what could have been. I don't know if we made him an offer but I'd be very disappointed if we didn't. Especially with how bleak the UFA defensemen market is looking this year. Why is it so hard to find defensemen that can actually play defense ?

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
BONUS QUESTION: Speaking of flexibility in the cap, do you view it that this team still needs a proverbial horse on the back end to carry you?

"We definitely do. We need a 25-minute-a-night guy that when you're ahead 2-1 with four minutes to go he's out there for three of those minutes. We need that type of player, one with a big heavy body. Probably other than 15 teams, everybody else needs that too, but that's what we're missing. Some of that is going to get taken care of internally as some of these guys develop, but we still need that veteran guy who can go out there and take control, settle things down when the game needs it, and finish off that last two minutes in the game."

That's a Jim Nill interview on NHL.com. So yeah, Seabrook is seeming more likely all the time. He fits all of that criteria.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I have changed my mind on Hall, I think we could build more through FA and prospects for next year and count our own eggs if you will

Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin --- (a consistant right winger on this line would be great)
Vermette (FA) - Spezza - Ritchie --- (Spezza has people to pass to)
Roussel - Eakin - N.Foligno (FA) --- (This would be a fun line to watch)
McKenzie - Fiddler - Morin --- (Good chemistry energy line)
Moen (Sure)

Methot (FA) - Klingberg
Nemeth - Demers
Oleksiak - Daley
Jokipakka

Lehtonen
Neuvirth/Enroth (FA) --- (Not Lindback)

Trade: Hemsky (probably hard to do), Garbutt, Goligoski, Benn

Last edited:

ScubaSteve*

If you're acquiring Vermette, there's no reason to keep Eakin (not that there's much reason to keep him, anyway).

Package Eakin with Oleksiak and you might be able to trick someone into giving you something of value.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Some of you are being absolutely absurd. If you have the opportunity to acquire a player with the elite talent of a Taylor Hall, who just a few months ago was considered the second best LW in the game, and not give up the best player in the deal, you make that trade without a second thought.

Before the start of this season, Hall was 6th in points over the last two seasons on an Edmonton team absolutely devoid of talent. It's more plausible than not that he would score at Seguin levels playing alongside some combination of Benn, Spezza, and Seguin.

It sounds like Hall wants to be "the guy" in Edmonton, because he has always been "the guy" there and feels that is his franchise. Edmonton is looking eagerly toward drafting McDavid and making him "the guy," which gives them an incentive to move Hall.

Hall doesn't make players around him better. McDavid will. Hall shouldn't be the lone superstar on the team, but he will never be able to let go of that expectation in Edmonton, even with McDavid there.

Edmonton has a plethora of other needs, including a blue chip goalie prospect, young defenders, and young wingers. They have one significantly valuable trade chip in Hall, and are in the position to possibly utilize it. It isn't crazy to think that you could land Hall in a deal centered around a couple of Campbell/Oleksiak/Eakin plus lesser pieces.

You ABSOLUTELY consider moving your 1st round pick this year if you think it will be in the 10-20 range. This draft is being massively overhyped because of the small number of extrmely elite prospects who are making plenty of other average players look pretty good.

Consider this list -- Danny Roussin (2nd), Danny Stewart (4th), MA Pouliot (1st), Mark Tobin (2nd), Michal Sersen+Eric Neilson (5th). I bet you've never heard of any of those players, because none of them ever made it to the NHL, but they have one thing in common - they played on a line with Sidney Crosby.

Outside of the 5-10 picks this year, this year might be even more of a crap shoot than normal. If you acquire Hall without giving up significant value from your NHL roster, this team's pick is not going to be in the top 10, no matter how poor the defense is.

If Edmonton ends up trading Hall, it's not for prospects/picks. They don't need young defensemen (Klefbom, Marincin, Nurse) they need NHL players. Players who will improve their situation immediately, i.e. a bonafide top pairing defenseman and a bonifide scoring line center (preferably with size).

Campbell + Oleksiak + Eakin is half-decent value-wise, but Hall would be their big trade chip and they're not spending it on maybes and decent, unless there's a big over payment.

NukeJukes43

Watching the EDM vs ARZ game right now. Hall is definitely getting moved soon. He gives 0 ****s out there when he doesn't have the puck.

Scrivens is amazing though.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Watching the EDM vs ARZ game right now. Hall is definitely getting moved soon. He gives 0 ****s out there when he doesn't have the puck.

Scrivens is amazing though.

Yeah that's why I've said you need to watch him now to see how bad it's gotten. He genuinely stopped giving a **** about the game. For all that we complain about the Stars players I've never thought that they actually don't care anymore if they win or lose.

Scrivens has had some rough games but he's also been excellent on other nights like tonight. He also called out the locker room problems on the team so the Oilers management probably hate him. He'd be a solid backup so if he became available I'd be happy if we got him

NukeJukes43

Yeah that's why I've said you need to watch him now to see how bad it's gotten. He genuinely stopped giving a **** about the game. For all that we complain about the Stars players I've never thought that they actually don't care anymore if they win or lose.

Scrivens has had some rough games but he's also been excellent on other nights like tonight. He also called out the locker room problems on the team so the Oilers management probably hate him. He'd be a solid backup so if he became available I'd be happy if we got him

I'm well aware of Hall's issues and have been. But it's silly of you to think we should right him off because he's having a bad season on one of the worst teams if not the worst in the NHL.

I'll take that 6M cap hit to solidify top 6 scoring any day of the week. Hall would explode in our system.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta

That's why I just laugh when some say that he is better than Jamie Benn.

I like Taylor Hall, he's a better player than what he's showing this season. There are definitely locker room issues going on and that coupled with the losing is just killing not only him but others.

If I was him I would request a trade. He may look like the biggest quitter and biggest d-bag, but the organization is the absolute worst and if he stays there he'll never win a darn thing. I don't agree with the Lebron James way of winning, but at some point when you realize the organization you are with is absolute garbage from top to bottom, the frustration has to set in.

If his attitude is getting pi$$y, then it could be time to part ways for sure. Mark my words though, he is a better player than that and up until this season he has been the only one on many occasions who seems like he does give a crap on that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad