Speculation: 2014-15 Off-Season Talk - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Was there this morning...saw Garrison for the first time. It was mostly all defensemen that showed up - Brewer and Dingman were pretty much running the practice/workout. Drouin was the only Forward there besides Morrow who looks old/slow and Vasya only Goalie. Did not see Stralman today...Salo came in for a short while in shorts and T-Shirt seemed in good spirits and signed autographs took pictures with fans.

Morrow is listed at 6'0 and saw him next to Drouin. Either Morrow is 5'11 and Drouin now 6' or Drouin is at 6'1 now...he was one inch taller standing next to Morrow. Just random thoughts...

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Was there this morning...saw Garrison for the first time. It was mostly all defensemen that showed up - Brewer and Dingman were pretty much running the practice/workout. Drouin was the only Forward there besides Morrow who looks old/slow and Vasya only Goalie. Did not see Stralman today...Salo came in for a short while in shorts and T-Shirt seemed in good spirits and signed autographs took pictures with fans.

Morrow is listed at 6'0 and saw him next to Drouin. Either Morrow is 5'11 and Drouin now 6' or Drouin is at 6'1 now...he was one inch taller standing next to Morrow. Just random thoughts...

Thanks for the update. It sounded on Stamkos that he’s planning to hit the ice on Monday so I’m guessing most players will be flying in this weekend or the beginning of next week. Callahan is the only one I’m unsure of, if he and his wife did have a baby sometime in August (especially if it was in late august) maybe he will fly in a bit later to spend some more time with them, who knows, but you can feel that things are getting closer and that the season is just around the corner.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thanks for the update. It sounded on Stamkos that he’s planning to hit the ice on Monday so I’m guessing most players will be flying in this weekend or the beginning of next week. Callahan is the only one I’m unsure of, if he and his wife did have a baby sometime in August (especially if it was in late august) maybe he will fly in a bit later to spend some more time with them, who knows, but you can feel that things are getting closer and that the season is just around the corner.

He is too busy moving into his 2.5 Million dollar home on Davis Islands. :sarcasm:

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
He is too busy moving into his 2.5 Million dollar home on Davis Islands. :sarcasm:

Now I saw that, cool, and it’s good to have the living part done when the season starts. Also good choice with buying a waterfront house when you live in Florida and 2.2 million for a 5 bedroom house isn't bad.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
"Puck Drop Preview: 2014-15 Atlantic Division"

Puck Drop Preview: 2014-15 Atlantic Division

Surprised so many prognosticators list MSL as a huge loss for the Bolts.

"Third, the addition of Stralman isn’t so much an improvement as it is a replacement for Sami Salo who was brilliant last year. " I like Sami but if was so brilliant last year why is he unsigned?

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/09/04/puck-drop-preview-2014-15-atlantic-division/

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

"Third, the addition of Stralman isn’t so much an improvement as it is a replacement for Sami Salo who was brilliant last year. " I like Sami but if was so brilliant last year why is he unsigned?

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/09/04/puck-drop-preview-2014-15-atlantic-division/

Wow.

Those are mostly really strange, here is all of them and you can tell that some of them never have seen a Bolts game (or at least one post trade deadline). Some of these are just tragically bad:

Oh, the number is where in the Atlantic they feel that the Lightning will place.

Charlie Clarke – @LWOScharlieocc

3. Tampa Bay Lightning
The Lightning (or, more specifically, Ben Bishop) will likely regress this year. However, the weakness of their division will allow them to retain a divisional playoff spot, especially with Steven Stamkos healthy the whole season.

Markus Meyer – @Markus_Meyer27

1. Tampa Bay Lightning
What was once an average defense, is now among the stronger blue lines in the East with the additions of Garrison and Stralman. They have an elite sniper in Steven Stamkos, a strong, balanced bottom-6, and a great goalie tandem headlined by Vezina finalist Ben Bishop. To me they’re the best team in the East.

Nick Di Giovanni – @LWOSNick

3. Tampa Bay Lightning
Without Steven Stamkos and an angry captain for most of last season, the Lightning still pulled through for home-ice advantage in the playoffs. After trading away some of their nucleus in Nate Thompson, BJ Crombeen and Teddy Purcell, the Lightning filled a huge hole in defence with the signing of Anton Stralman. The team doesn’t look as good as last year’s, so they will fall one position.

Griffin Schroeder – @gSchroedes16

2. Tampa Bay Lightning
GM Steve Yzerman was busy this offseason down south. With additions by the names of highly sought after free agent defenseman Anton Stralman, grinder Brian Boyle, and an experienced blueliner in Jason Garrison, Yzerman is moving the team in the right direction. They did part ways with Teddy Purcell and signed aging veteran Brenden Morrow to replace him on the wing, but this is not a big hole. With such a deep team filled with so much young talent including Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat, possibly Jonathan Drouin, Victor Hedman, Steven Stamkos, etc, the Lightning will challenge the Bruins for a division title and finish second with another progressive year.

Nick Godin – @FlyingOrr

4. Tampa Bay Lightning
The Lightning finished 2nd in the Atlantic Division last season. They had a decent season, however they were knocked out in the first round of the playoffs by the Montreal Canadiens. It was ultimately Ben Bishop’s injury that caused the Lightning to collapse, and you could possibly see the effects of the collapse carry on into next season.

Shawn Wilken @CrimsonSkorpion

4. Tampa Bay Lightning
A step down from last year? I think so. Martin St. Louis was around for the majority of last season and was a big reason as to why the Lightning looked so threatening. With St. Louis now gone, a new look on defense and the question in the air regarding Ben Bishop and if he can repeat his performance of last year, there are too many “ifs†playing into the Lightning pulling off the amazing season they did last year. Still, they have the grit and tenacity to stick in there and grab a wild card spot.

Matt Ricks – @M4TR1X2

3. Tampa Bay Lightning
The Lightning have a very powerful group of forwards and if Bishop can have the same season, there’s no reason not to look out for Tampa Bay this year. There’s not a doubt in saying that the Lightning should be expected of more than a first round sweep in the playoffs.

Ben Kerr – @LastWordBKerr

3. Tampa Bay Lightning
I like this team, in fact I was one of the few LWOS prognosticators to put them in the playoffs a year ago. However, this summer i feel like they are being overrated. Yes, they added Stralman, Ggarrison and some vets. Lets not forget a few things though. First, Ben Bishop is not likely to put up a .930+ save percentage again. Second, they had 3/4 of a season of Marty St. Louis, which they don’t have now, Third, the addition of Stralman isn’t so much an improvement as it is a replacement for Sami Salo who was brilliant last year. Overall they are still good, still going to be a ~100 point team, and going to be neck-and-neck with Montreal again.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods

Losing Martys offense is a pretty big blow, it isnt a shame to admit it. But that Salo comment is so BS that its hard to comprehend, its almost as big bs as saying that Morrow was brought in to replace Tedward in top 6 :biglaugh:

Otherwise I think this was a pretty solid article compared to most of them. Hich says much about the quality of articles made about the Lightning....

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
My favorite from that article was:

3. Tampa Bay Lightning
I like this team, in fact I was one of the few LWOS prognosticators to put them in the playoffs a year ago. However, this summer i feel like they are being overrated. Yes, they added Stralman, Ggarrison and some vets. Lets not forget a few things though. First, Ben Bishop is not likely to put up a .930+ save percentage again. Second, they had 3/4 of a season of Marty St. Louis, which they don’t have now, Third, the addition of Stralman isn’t so much an improvement as it is a replacement for Sami Salo who was brilliant last year. Overall they are still good, still going to be a ~100 point team, and going to be neck-and-neck with Montreal again.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I need to see St. Louis do it without really strong linemates (Vinny of '06, Stamkos, 2 Calder Cup finalists) before I believe he was the key. He'll get 60-70 points next year but he isn't gonna touch PPG again unless Nash wakes up.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I need to see St. Louis do it without really strong linemates (Vinny of '06, Stamkos, 2 Calder Cup finalists) before I believe he was the key. He'll get 60-70 points next year but he isn't gonna touch PPG again unless Nash wakes up.

Nash is not the only issue. Rangers center depth is not good. Stepan is more of a 2nd center, and Brassard is more of a 3rd center.

Stepan will hit 50 points but that is about it. Brassard will hit low 40's. I bring up those centers because MSL will most likely be playing with one of those guys.

Honestly, could really care less what the Rangers do, only care when Tampa plays them next season. Sure, a Callahan hat trick will do wonders, but will just be happy to beat them. lol.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
More skaters on the ice today.

https://twitter.com/BBurnsNHL

#TBLightning informal workouts continue today in Brandon. Ben Bishop and Ryan Callahan on the ice today.

#TBLightning goalie Ben Bishop says his wrist is "doing well" but "not quite 100% yet" after informal skate at Brandon.

NHL veteran Evgeni Nabokov says depth at goalie for #TBLightning is among best of any team he's played for. "The talent is tremendous.”

https://twitter.com/TBTimes_JSmith

Ryan Callahan also among the new faces at #tblightning informal skate. Kucherov, Kunyk too w the regular crew from last week.

Largest group yet for #tblightning informal skate. Stamkos skated earlier

Other than #tblightning players, Prospal, Kuba and @dingdish among those skating today

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
From Michelle Gingras

https://twitter.com/michellegingras

Both Ben Bishop and Ryan Callahan on the ice in Brandon this morning. #TBLightning pic.twitter.com/5mP0NSk5Ki

Ben Bishop said wrist is "doing well and getting there..not quite 100%.." gradually easing off using pad underneath his blocker #TBLighting

Bishop on wrist, "Still needs to get a little stronger, but as far as movement and stopping the puck it feels pretty good right now."

----

I also saw that it was the first media day in NYC and Hedman is there.

NHL Media Tour is in progress in NYC! First up: Victor Hedman.
http://instagram.com/p/sr9MsSoeAk/

https://twitter.com/TBLightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad