Line Combos: 2014-15 Lineups - Part II

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Simple solution put Drouin on the line with Stammer and Cally. :nod:

We're getting closer to that, I think. Drouin is looking better and better out there. It's not showing up on the score sheet much, but he's been much better on D and you're seeing some of his smarts and creativity despite limited minutes.

This wasn't a play that got a lot of press, but I just really liked the play he made at the Wild's blue line last game. Gets the puck, and needs to go off on a change. Instead of dumping it in, he sees Barbs all alone on the other side of the ice. He whips over a great pass right on the tape and goes off on a change, while instead of a dump in that gives up possession, Barbs gets a slapshot off from the circles. Was it a dangerous chance? No, but it was something and I don't think it happens with 90% of the players in this league.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We're getting closer to that, I think. Drouin is looking better and better out there. It's not showing up on the score sheet much, but he's been much better on D and you're seeing some of his smarts and creativity despite limited minutes.

This wasn't a play that got a lot of press, but I just really liked the play he made at the Wild's blue line last game. Gets the puck, and needs to go off on a change. Instead of dumping it in, he sees Barbs all alone on the other side of the ice. He whips over a great pass right on the tape and goes off on a change, while instead of a dump in that gives up possession, Barbs gets a slapshot off from the circles. Was it a dangerous chance? No, but it was something and I don't think it happens with 90% of the players in this league.

With Drouins development, the score sheet is really the last thing they are worrying about right now. I do remember that play, and I think it is a good play because instead of a dump it in where the other team may get to the puck, you get a SOG with a scoring chance, and a possible offensive face off.

It seems we have 2/3rds of our top line in place, and getting that LW spot has been a big question mark all season long.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Yet when he's open on that side, his line mates whip it down the ice and go for a change.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
I would like to know if you think these 7 forwards are locked into these lines? (I do)

Stamkos and Callahan are locked (missing one on this line)

Kucherov, Johnson and Palat (locked)

?,? and ? (the reason I don't have Flip in is because he could still be the missing guy on Stamkos line ... But I hope not)

?, Boyle and Paquette (I think locked)

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I would like to know if you think these 7 forwards are locked into these lines? (I do)

?,? and ? (the reason I don't have Flip in is because he could still be the missing guy on Stamkos line ... But I hope not)

For the regular season? Sure. I could see some line mixing in the PO.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

You can add Connolly to the 3rd line RW spot as a lock.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I think Connolly should be on the 4th line, it means that he won't be forced into playing a massive amout of minutes + he seem to play well with Boyle and Morrow as does Brown, and Paquette as well as Vladdy and Drouin works best on the 3rd line.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I like Connolly on the 4th line, it creates a mismatch but I like Drouin-Flip-Connolly on the 3rd too.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I like how Connolly is taking the faceoff on the 1st unit. Ideally, Stammer and Filppula get to fan out to the side boards immediately with Callahan going in front of the net. If the puck ends up on Hedman's stick off the faceoff we have the perfect setup right away.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Killorn has been good on the top line, would leave him there until maybe Drouin is ready to move up there. Flip is more comfortable at Center, so would go with...

Killorn - Stamkos - Callahan
Palat - Johnson - Kucherov
Drouin - Flip - Connolly
Morrow - Boyle - Paquette

Brown - Names

I think Paquette has more to bring than Brown, and Names might need more time before being a full-time NHL'er.

I like how Connolly is taking the faceoff on the 1st unit. Ideally, Stammer and Filppula get to fan out to the side boards immediately with Callahan going in front of the net. If the puck ends up on Hedman's stick off the faceoff we have the perfect setup right away.

I think our PP has been good, but could be even better. I'm talking 30% conversion rate.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I’ve been thinking about our lineup a lot during these last couple of games (including last night) and what seem to work and what doesn’t and it makes me feel that we do have the personnel on forwards that can take us as long as they want but the problem really seem to be who to match up against who.

I’m completely sold on the Palat-Johnson-Kucherov line, that one should never change but the one I’m concerned about is our 1st line, now Stamkos needs to be there and I like having Callahan there but it’s the left winger spot that I think needs to be looked at, now I don’t mind Killorn there but having Killorn and Callahan on the same line I feel only work in certain matchups against teams that base their play on offense like we do and like the wild, the rangers and the sens because the two of them can really grind it out and open up space for Stamkos and at the same time being really effective themselves but when you go up against teams like the Sabers who play a very defensive game I don’t think having Callahan and Killorn on the same line is a good idea because spreading out the gritty plays would be better and I feel like there should be a playmaker on the 1st line who can help get through the others teams defense.

I don’t know what changes could be made at this time, I do feel that the ideal thing would be to add Drouin up there for games like the one against the Sabers and have Killorn play with Filppula and then switch when you play teams that rely on their offense more.

I don’t kow how anyone else feel about this or if anyone else have been thinking the same thing, it’s just something that I’ve been thinking about when you look at how this team does against certain teams (another team we struggled against in NJD who also play a trap game).

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not sure if it was just last night, because everyone looked terrible but Connolly played much better when put on the 4th line. He needs to be the one driving the play which he can do on the 4th but on the 3rd Filpulla likes to be the one and Namestnikov too. Makes our 4th more lethal but he needs more minutes especially when he seems hot right now.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
What's the opinion on Namestnikov around here? Upside (top end and realistic)? Is he gonna stick?

Any and all info is appreciated.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Ceiling: Two way 2nd line center, 1st unit PKer, can play wing too. Fast skater with good defensive positioning and excellent stickwork. Needs to bulk up and improve his game without the puck.

For a positive example watch last night's game against Buffalo even though it was as a winger , Namestnikov played really well.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
What's the opinion on Namestnikov around here? Upside (top end and realistic)? Is he gonna stick?

Any and all info is appreciated.

Looks to be fighting for playing time against Drouin right now. Two rookies battling it out for a third line winger/forward spot. For the forseeable future (this season) will be in and out of lineup. At this point he is not better than our top three centers (Stammer/TJ/Filp). Top end ceiling #2C and 60+ pts p/season. He just turned 22. What I think is likely:

Spot duty on third line...moves up on forward lines due to injury when called upon for next couple of seasons. Then we move Filp to make a roster space for Vladdy. This is likely done the year Vladdy turns 25 (starts season @ 24) which is the last year on Filppula's contract and the last year of Vladdy's RFA status.

Currently our top 6 forwards: Killorn/Stammer/Callahan/Palat/Johnson/Kucherov are signed through next season. Third line - Drouin/Filp/Paquette are signed through at least next season. Connolly and Vladdy are RFAs this summer. We'll have 4 players battling for two third line winger jobs next year unless SFY moves someone at the trade deadline or this summer. This is not even mentioning one very skilled Jr. player (Erne) who could possibly make the roster as well.

If you are in a keeper league...and this is the reason you ask. Vladdy is a question mark for next couple of years...snatch him up as soon as you see SFY clear forward backlog.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
I’ve been thinking about our lineup a lot during these last couple of games (including last night) and what seem to work and what doesn’t and it makes me feel that we do have the personnel on forwards that can take us as long as they want but the problem really seem to be who to match up against who.

I’m completely sold on the Palat-Johnson-Kucherov line, that one should never change but the one I’m concerned about is our 1st line, now Stamkos needs to be there and I like having Callahan there but it’s the left winger spot that I think needs to be looked at, now I don’t mind Killorn there but having Killorn and Callahan on the same line I feel only work in certain matchups against teams that base their play on offense like we do and like the wild, the rangers and the sens because the two of them can really grind it out and open up space for Stamkos and at the same time being really effective themselves but when you go up against teams like the Sabres who play a very defensive game I don’t think having Callahan and Killorn on the same line is a good idea because spreading out the gritty plays would be better and I feel like there should be a playmaker on the 1st line who can help get through the others teams defense.

I don’t know what changes could be made at this time, I do feel that the ideal thing would be to add Drouin up there for games like the one against the Sabres and have Killorn play with Filppula and then switch when you play teams that rely on their offense more.

I don’t kow how anyone else feel about this or if anyone else have been thinking the same thing, it’s just something that I’ve been thinking about when you look at how this team does against certain teams (another team we struggled against in NJD who also play a trap game).

I like this thinking

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Looks to be fighting for playing time against Drouin right now. Two rookies battling it out for a third line winger/forward spot. For the forseeable future (this season) will be in and out of lineup. At this point he is not better than our top three centers (Stammer/TJ/Filp). Top end ceiling #2C and 60+ pts p/season. He just turned 22. What I think is likely:

Spot duty on third line...moves up on forward lines due to injury when called upon for next couple of seasons. Then we move Filp to make a roster space for Vladdy. This is likely done the year Vladdy turns 25 (starts season @ 24) which is the last year on Filppula's contract and the last year of Vladdy's RFA status.

Currently our top 6 forwards: Killorn/Stammer/Callahan/Palat/Johnson/Kucherov are signed through next season. Third line - Drouin/Filp/Paquette are signed through at least next season. Connolly and Vladdy are RFAs this summer. We'll have 4 players battling for two third line winger jobs next year unless SFY moves someone at the trade deadline or this summer. This is not even mentioning one very skilled Jr. player (Erne) who could possibly make the roster as well.

If you are in a keeper league...and this is the reason you ask. Vladdy is a question mark for next couple of years...snatch him up as soon as you see SFY clear forward backlog.

Really appreciate all the responses regarding Names guys. Youve all helped me out a lot here.

As for the quote above. I am indeed in a keeper league and I'm in the playoff race right now. I've just recently picked up drouin as well so I can't have both guys in and out of the lineup.

BobbyTheChiefTaylor

Nov 26, 2014
Boy, I'll tell ya what - each line needs someone that can push people down at the net. What really puzzles me is why aren't we using Ryan Malone? He's got a big body and boy he loves getting physical there. I'll tell ya what, this is what I think the lines should be:

Malone - Stamkos - Callagan

This is a good first line that can shoot some pucks and shove people down at our own net.

Polat - Johnson - Kusherov

Oh boy these young guys, Jon Cooper loves these young guys and boy they are efficient. No need to touch em here, Rick.

Kilern - Druun - Flilpula

I'll tell ya what, Alegs Kilern has got a nice big body to push people down at our own net and Druun could learn a lot from him.

TJ Brown - Boyle - Jason Garriston

Now this is what I call a fourth line. We got TJ brown with his speed to pressure and big Brian Boyle to get in the way of attackers and finally Jason Garriston gives more physical presence on this line.

Last edited:

BohemianRhandomly

Nov 3, 2014
Section 128
Boy, I'll tell ya what - each line needs someone that can push people down at the net. What really puzzles me is why aren't we using Ryan Malone? He's got a big body and boy he loves getting physical there. I'll tell ya what, this is what I think the lines should be:

Malone - Stamkos - Callagan

This is a good first line that can shoot some pucks and shove people down at our own net.

Polat - Johnson - Kusherov

Oh boy these young guys, Jon Cooper loves these young guys and boy they are efficient. No need to touch em here, Rick.

Kilern - Druun - Flilpula

I'll tell ya what, Alegs Kilern has got a nice big body to push people down at our own net and Druun could learn a lot from him.

TJ Brown - Boyle - Jason Garriston

Now this is what I call a fourth line. We got TJ brown with his speed to pressure and big Brian Boyle to get in the way of attackers and finally Jason Garriston gives more physical presence on this line.

:laugh: Best one yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad