OT: 2013 Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Charlie Manuel has been fired (Aug. 16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I wonder why they didn't let him finish the season. It's not like they can turn the season around.

Wasn't his contract up at the end of the year?

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I wonder why they didn't let him finish the season. It's not like they can turn the season around.

Wasn't his contract up at the end of the year?

Seriously, I knew his time was done but this is just a stupid time to do it. The beginning of the year, sure, after the season, sure, but now. This feels wrong.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Seriously, I knew his time was done but this is just a stupid time to do it. The beginning of the year, sure, after the season, sure, but now. This feels wrong.

Agreed. I feel like he deserves a better ending than this especially when there's nothing at stake

Stonehands77

Jul 8, 2002
Waltham, MA
Thanks for the title Cholly, but it was time to move on.

One down, one more to go. While I fully expect they won't fire Amaro anytime soon, one does live in hope. It's why I've been a Phillies' fan for 30 years.

But Rube needs to go, and the sooner the better. If they're already giving up on this season, let's go all out and give the incoming GM more time to prep.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
Eagles let Reid (who never won the whole thing) slog to a 1-11 finish, but the Phillies don't let Chuck finish out the string. They can spin it however they want, with moving forward in the future and whatnot, but they lost points to me.

As much as I never thought Chuck was a great game-day manager, the teams that were built well played well for him. You can say that about a lot of clubs, but I've yet to hear a bad word from anyone wearing red pinstripes about Charlie. He definitely had an effect, and his team won it all in '08, so I'll be forever thankful to him for that.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
****ing Ruben, man, I never thought he'd kill this team so badly, to the point that we have to fire a world series manager midseason. He's not a good gameday manager but they won over a 100 games less than two years ago.

I'm really sad about this even though I know it had to happen. Losing anyone big off that 2008 team just really hurts.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Sports are weird. The only two times I've shed a tear for a person I've never met: Harry Kalas and now today for whatever reason I am emotional.

It's hard not to get emotional.

"I love putting the uniform on. I would have worn it over here today if I could have."

Said, he'd like to come to the ballpark every morning and leave before anyone sees him. Come on man, you are killing me :cry:

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
He really did ****ing care. And I feel bad for being hard on him when I did.

Yeah, we kind of forget that sometimes. I got really mad at him this year, but seeing him talking about his time in Philly, reminded me of all the awesome stuff he did. I know it was time for him to go, but this season is not his fault.

7475Fly

Apr 3, 2008
Philadelphia
I find it odd that management didn't discuss the situation with the players before the firing, especially Hamels, Ultey, and Rollins. And Ruben's tears during the press conference, are they for Charlie, or he thinks Charlie is about to give him a, "Pow! Zoom! To the moon!", or he knows he's next?

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Why the shot at Schilling? He's one of the 3 best pitchers this organization ever had. Yeah he opened his mouth too much, but if anyone could back it up, it was Curt.

That should read "If Lieberthal is on it..."

Not taking anything away from your point because I agree, but he's probably 4th or 5th best. There's a really large gap between the top 3 and then Schilling/Bunning/Hamels(yea he's probably already up there lol).

Ilya Bryzastor

May 13, 2013
Philadelphia
I am pissed , Ruben should have let him finish the year , it is disrespect In my opinion. Also Ruben is next to go , should have been Ruben before Charlie.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Amaro is the worst GM in the history of GM's. Mad Mike was more competent than him

Not taking anything away from your point because I agree, but he's probably 4th or 5th best. There's a really large gap between the top 3 and then Schilling/Bunning/Hamels(yea he's probably already up there lol).

Who would the 3rd pitcher be after Carlton and Roberts? Unless Im missing someone obvious Schilling is the 3rd best pitcher behind those two imo. He had two great Cy Young Caliber seasons in 97 and 98 where he struck out over 300 batters both years and had a few other really good seasons.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey

I was going Carlton, Roberts, Schilling...then whatever order your want with Lee, Hamels, Bunning, Alexander, Halladay, etc. It'd make for an interesting discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad